Giant Eagle Perishable Clerk Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 29, 2019

2.7
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

"Good but could be better"

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk in Akron, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love interacting with the customers and after you are there a year you get one week paid vacation and a paid personal day. Raises go by how many hours you work and I like it went up $1.50 raise less than 2 years and every week getting paid is nice with chances to win gift cards like for employee of the month, extra mile for customers, or winning a united way raffle. The benefits are decent too.

Cons

Lazy team members and don't get a lot of hours off the back and hard to get full time unless management almost.

Giant Eagle2015-04-15

"Some good some bad"

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous Vacation time (paid) and pay but only once you’ve put your time in Coworkers are a joy to be with most of the time.

Cons

It gets harder and harder to recommend giant eagle to people with each union contract. The union is not there for your interests, and anytime they do something for your benefit, it comes at the cost of the new hires who get terrible rates of pay and the ACA really limited the pay and hours new hires will receive. Most new hires are terrible workers, terrible people, or in any other circumstance other than desperation would not be hired. The good workers and good people will be abused and exploited and the way the union is you will not be paid more than Joe Schmoe who put in 20 years and is now just phoning it in at the rate of 16-17$ an hour.

Advice to Management

I’m very pro union but UFCW is so bad I would not recommend giant eagle to anyone unless it’s deunionized. You start here at minimum wage (8.15-8.30 I forgot) when Target starts people at 12.00

Giant Eagle2019-01-29
  3. "Decent Gig...if you can handle your co-workers."

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk in Avon Lake, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Opportunities for advancement, etc...

Cons

If you don't have good co-workers, good luck.

Advice to Management

Please hire better fits for teams.

Giant Eagle2019-01-19

"Prep Foods"

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

10 percent employee discount on GE brands.

Cons

Never enough help. Team work means you have to do the job for the incapable ones as well. Closing the whole kitchen down yourself when there are call offs. One incentive used to be a 5 dollar coupon for an extra mile. No more of those since its not in the companies budget. Company acts poor even though they got a huge tax cut. Customers are rude and get even more upset because product gets changed around so much or are out of stock or discontinued.

Advice to Management

Stop coming up with plans like SWAT, wasteful spending. Care more about your good employees, instead of raising starting wage for all the new ones.

Giant Eagle2018-07-28

"A Company In Decline, With Little Respect for Their Employees"

Former Employee - Perishable Clerk in Chardon, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is one pro and one pro only: the Union. Paid vacation. Paid sick days. Guaranteed raises based on hours worked. Those only exist because of our union organizing.

Cons

The company makes it obvious through all of their actions - their detrimental policies, their selective enforcement of rules, their disregard for their own employees well-being, their disregard for their own responsibilities - that they DO NOT care about their employees. The basic vibe from management is "The Union says we have to treat you like worthwhile humans and workers, and we fully resent that and will do everything in our power to be able to treat you worse."

Advice to Management

The management of this company is the entire problem. They're mindless MBA drones with no original ideas, desperately floating on a tiny raft of incompetence held together with lashings of business jargon and flavor-of-last-week ideas.

Giant Eagle2017-09-22

"Not a bad place to get a start"

Former Employee - Perishable Clerk in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a lot of hours if you have worked there for a while and the job is not overly difficult. The longer you say the better your pay is.

Cons

Very difficult to advance and if you do you'll most likely have to move around to a couple different stores. Pay takes a long time to make the job worth it. Experience varies greatly between stores and in some the managers will never respect you and run around like tyrants.

Advice to Management

Please, please get your act together. Most of the managers at my store treat the employees as of they are worthless and expendable. There is almost zero communication. Oh and stop doing personal things at work, such buying money orders when you should be sign hasap forms or closing the liquor store. The works are people too, treat them as such.

Giant Eagle2015-09-16

"Good benefits. Hard work and being smart doesn't get you there"

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, flexibility. Some coworkers

Cons

Favoritism. Everybody gets the same. Hard work or lazy. Management pleases the customer to no end, even if totally uncalled for.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard, smart workers. Reprimand lazy workers who refuse to do their part. Promote from within. Stop playing favorites.

Giant Eagle2014-10-02

"terrible"

Current Employee - Perishable Clerk in Canton, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

early morning shifts, 10% discount on own brand items

Cons

cost cutting measures mostly include cutting hours, too much work for one person, unreasonable expectations

Advice to Management

realize that your expectations of the job getting done at a set time are not always possible, quit letting things go until the higher ups come in and then stressing to your departments look perfect for them. let higher ups know and see that things aren't always perfect.

Giant Eagle2014-06-21
  9. "A job for when I really need it."

Former Employee - Perishable Clerk in Broadview Heights, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

They are flexible with the hours as long as you are a good worker. You will get raises based on how many hours you work. If you are a god worker you will be able to work out when you will work almost completely up to you. They want you to be happy and to stay with the company. They also want to make sure that you will show up to work.

Cons

There can be a lot of drama with some managers. If you work in perishable foods department such as the deli, prepared foods, or seafood- to name a few- you will smell. The uniform will never smell clean again and any clothes you wear underneath them will smell also. Even if you work a four hour shift.

Advice to Management

Do not call employees off the clock to complain about other employees.

Giant Eagle2014-03-13