Giant Eagle Pharmacy Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

Laura Karet
  1. "Giant eagle review"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with hours, retail experience, discount from company, pharmacy management

Cons

Late hours for part time work, working holidays, retail

Advice to Management

N/A

Giant Eagle2020-01-06
  2. "Good company, very busy"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and good leaders

Cons

They have cut back hours store wide and all employees are overworked.

Giant Eagle2019-12-20
  3. "Frustrated by Lack of Training, Quirky Technology"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Co-workers were, for the most part, genuinely kind and delightful people. Sometimes the stress after intense rushes of customers made them a little snippy. I can't entirely blame them. We all handle stress differently. -Pharmacy interns were ALL amazing people. I found zero exceptions on this. Don't know if my store was just extremely lucky or what. -Some of the pharmacists were awesome -The dogs that come through the drive-through. . . you get to offer treats and the reactions from some of the puppers was SO CUTE. -Flexible with scheduling.

Cons

-I came in with pharmacy and retail experience and in spite of that found everything here really confusing, and slightly overwhelming. -The equipment/technology in use is outdated and not at all intuitive. The sig entry system is particularly odd. If you know sig, that's great, but you almost have to learn a new Giant Eagle version of sig. For example: there's a glitch that occasionally turns "qd" into "Take a QUARTER tablet daily" and "1T PO QD" will get you an error message of "No Codes Found" or something of the like (It's been long enough I don't remember the exact wording.) There are a lot of quirks like that. -The training is completely inadequate. You get a couple days of computer "training" videos, half of which are not applicable to pharmacy, and talking to a trainer (she's actually the only helpful training I got) and then you get thrown into a pharmacy that's too busy to have any staff available to answer the questions that are sure to come up when learning a new POS and pharmacy system. This is considered a "training" period. Other training with the helpful regional pharmacy trainer eventually eventually happens, but it really feels like too little, too late when it finally arrives. -The discount. 10% only on store brand merchandise, full price on everything else. I'd often finish my shift at Giant Eagle and drive to Kroger down the street to shop because it's so much cheaper to shop there. -The pay. I know it could be worse for retail pharmacy, but, I called to negotiate pay and was told it was a hard line on the pay unless I could pass a test that I felt discouraged from taking. I asked to take it and, unsurprisingly, passed. If you get a job offer as a tech and have experience/knowledge, brush up on your basic pharmacy math (household to metric, etc.) and ask to take the test. There are no health benefits for PT employees until you hit a year of service, either, so benefits (and meager employee discount) do not help compensate for lack of pay like other PT tech positions I've worked.

Advice to Management

Train your employees earlier and more often, preferably with the regional pharmacy trainer for all the pharmacy related things, she was great. Better POS training. It's not the focus of pharmacy, but still very important. The system of the register not ringing the prescription by number, with no way of tracking which barcodes have been scanned and which ones haven't, and prescriptions being able to be scanned multiple times is bizarre. Also, marking thing in the pharmacy system as 'sold' and THEN selling them at the POS. . . it's just odd and time consuming. There needs to be a better system put in place soon.

Giant Eagle2019-12-18

"Great job, but can't make it my career"

Current Employee - Registered Pharmacy Technician in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible hours - Once you learn and master most of the daily skills, you don't have to think much - Learning these skills isn't very hard - Company walks you through your certification. Training is in depth and spaced out with enough time so that you really learn everything - The staff is pretty small and since you work together so much it can quickly turn into a family vibe

Cons

- Favoritism makes it hard to have a fair schedule - Schedule is made by another tech, so often you're working around their schedule - The focus is always the customer, so management often does not back you up in difficult situations

Advice to Management

- Work on talking with everyone to ensure that we are all happy - Remember that this is your career and not ours, going into the day with a good attitude goes a long way!! All in all, I have mostly great things to say. This has been a good experience, but it isn't something I can make a career out of. There are only so many certificates and licenses you can get. You can only be a technician or a pharmacist, so it's time for me to move on.

Giant Eagle2019-09-17
  5. "Not A Bad Place To Work"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Close to bus lines

Cons

Low pay, not enough

Giant Eagle2019-09-19

"No life"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Call Center Technician

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, benefits, easy, quiet, reliable

Cons

They don't want you to be human. Fast breaks, no interacting, and don't even think about missing work.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Realize that we're humans, not robots!

Giant Eagle2019-07-19
  7. "Great job!"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Team feels like family, the pay raises along the way are good, and flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Turn over rate can be high at times, but it’s a tough job to learn and sometimes people don’t want to put the work in. Once you get the hang of it and learn about the medications it clicks.

Giant Eagle2019-06-27
  8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really loved my job and being able to help my patients. My store was in a lower income area, which enabled me to feel like I was making a difference in people’s lives and helping them save money (whenever possible) when they needed it the most.

Cons

Technicians don’t make enough money, but that is true with any company. As far as corporate pharmacy goes, there are far worse options when it comes to being a technician.

Giant Eagle2019-05-16
  9. "Okay job in HS or College"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the staff was nice

Cons

Dont care about you as a individual

Giant Eagle2019-04-12

"Turnover rate is high!"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Freedom, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Giant Eagle provides fantastic benefits at a reasonable cost.

Cons

Central Fill - Mandatory Overtime, employee turnover rate is ridiculous

Advice to Management

Invest in better equipment, and increase the pay to keep workers

Giant Eagle2019-04-01