Giant Eagle Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Pros
  • Flexible hours work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• The most flexible schedule you will ever be offered in a company (in 53 reviews)

1. "Event Plannibg"

Current Employee - Event Planning in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Event Planning in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are worth all the effort

Cons

The leadership is lacking in the dept.

Advice to Management

Get on board and listen to your employees. They have good ideas and they are experienced

"Glory Days Have Passed Them By"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A lot, I mean a lot of very nice people who try to do their best everyday.
    Nice campus environment
    WFH policies are very liberal

Cons

Executive team is completely lost. Industry is transforming and GE is replacing a curbside application for the 3x. Small investments being made that have been trumped by the competition. No vision, no roadmap, no leadership.

Advice to Management

You cannot cut your way to prosperity. Brain drain post layoffs will accelerate. Leadership team and family need to take a step back and assess what they want to do, how to get there and do they have the intestinal fortitude, brainpower and resources to make it happen.

"Wasted opportunity"

Current Employee - Team Leader (Manager) in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader (Manager) in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Decent pay for salaried leaders
    Disability insurance
    401k
    Extremely nice lower and middle management

Cons

The entire culture has changed with the new CEO. Team members are no longer the focus. It's all about money. Your team members are the heart and soul of your company, but all they want to do it cut jobs or cut pay. Then after the cuts you expect the remaining team members to pick up the slack. I haven't spent a holiday with my family in 10 years. What thanks do it get? New mandatory 6 day work weeks. Giant Eagle talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. You talk about wanting to be like Wegmans or Publix. They treat their employees as their number one asset. Until you realize that, you will never be as successful as they are.

Advice to Management

Upper management should look at the talent below them and create an actual culture where people can grow instead of just hiring family and friends for higher up positions.

4. "Not Fair to Part-Timers"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk Part Time in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk Part Time in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle (More than 10 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible with schedule changes
    Benefits are decent.
    Dental is horrible

Cons

Full time employees get the best treatment.
    Lots of favortism shown to certain FT employees even when breaking rules

Advice to Management

STOP PLAYING FAVORITES! Award the REAL hard workers their share.
    PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!

5. "Steady Decline"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On a corporate level, most employees are very personable and eager to collaborate to create to achieve high quality results.

Cons

This company has seen a steady decline, not only in profitability, but also in strategic planning, effective corporate communication, and basic respect for its "team members." The expectation to "do more with less," though it is a cliche in the business world, has become brutal dogma here, whether in the stores, the offices, or the support centers. Executive management seems to be consistently detached from the day-to-day experience of the employees.

6. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discount employees receive on all of the Giant Eagle Brand products, which include Market District, Get Go, Nature's Basket.

Cons

Many years ago, Giant Eagle was the company everyone wanted to work for. Unfortunately three last decade, it's the company that everyone is running from.

7. "Not so good management"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Slippery Rock, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Slippery Rock, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people, coworkers, great place for lunch

Cons

Terrible management that belittles you. They lead by making fun of employees that make trivial errors. At the giant eagle I was employed at one particular manager asked me if I thought that I deserved a treat after tonight, I was in the check out with some ice cream.

Advice to Management

There is a difference between criticisms of work and outright bullying.

"senior management"

Former Employee - RBM in Oakmont, PA
    Former Employee - RBM in Oakmont, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than 10 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits great friendships

Cons

unreasonable expectations, too many buzzwords, pushing out the more senior management, forced to retire, buyouts. newer management are not good teachers, it's more of a 'gotcha' attitude than teaching. Newer store leaders are NOT qualified. Some of the RBM'S have never had an original idea in their lives

Advice to Management

Keep telling yourself it's a family atmosphere enough and it will be easier to believe. Eventually one of the store leaders will drop dead in a store.

"Giant Disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than 3 years)

Pros

My friendships with fellow employees and a few regular customers are what kept me coming back to work, day after day. I worked with some great people in my time at the store, and I can honestly say that I miss seeing certain team members on a daily basis. Aside from that, there isn't much else that I would consider a positive. Benefits weren't bad, but the gradual kick-in wasn't really worth all of the nonsense that I had to deal with in that time frame. The employee discount is 10% off of most own-branded products.

Cons

Where to start? I came into the company with a part-time position that would have me scheduled anywhere from 16 to 40+ hours each week. Newcomers can't rely on a consistent schedule/pay, especially when upper-management decides to cut the allotted hours for each department to "keep costs down." This usually results in over-worked and under-performing team members that are just trying to make it through each day. It's pretty difficult to fit 80 hours of weekly work between 5 employees into 64 hours, with a mostly-absent manager taking up 40 of those hours doing whatever, which brings me to another point.

It's all about who you know and are "friends" with in this company. Never in my life have I seen adults act like teenagers in cliques more than I have at Giant Eagle. The people with connections in high places could probably get away with murder, but a great employee that does their job exactly as they're supposed to can easily get screwed if they don't hang with the right crowd.

The high prices on everyday items bring in big profits, but that doesn't translate into better pay and better stores. Corners are cut, workers are made to work harder with less compensation, and morale keeps getting lower, but that's okay, because the big-wigs are sitting fat, happy, and laughing all the way to the bank.

Advice to Management

People aren't knocking down doors trying to work for your company. Take care of the employees that you do have, and you'll see an improvement in everything. Listen to the stock-clerks and cashiers; they know more than you think.

10. "Horrible job"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Monongahela, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Monongahela, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None it was pure hell

Cons

My co workers were rude... I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone

Showing 42 of 1,092 reviews