Giant Eagle Reviews

3.5
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and you can get overtime if your not a leader.(in 171 reviews)
  • "People were great to work with and you were kept busy as I was on the night crew.(in 132 reviews)
  • "The coworkers are great and very helpful(in 98 reviews)
  • "flexible hours are very convenient(in 91 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedule and will give you as many hours u want(in 69 reviews)
Cons
  • "The low pay that comes with working in the retail sector despite its being “essential”.(in 189 reviews)
  • "Poor management not payed well n hours are terrible(in 159 reviews)
  • "Managers don't know how to do basic things like knowing how to run a register.(in 91 reviews)
  • "Upper management has absolutely no idea what's going on on the front line of the company.(in 47 reviews)
  • "No training hours available for new hires.(in 35 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Giant Eagle and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Easy job

May 17, 2022 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule and easygoing

Cons

Low pay and high turnover rate for cashiers

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Starting Job, Employees are Meh

Apr 13, 2022 - Cashier in Vermilion, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was a good starting job for me once I got into high school and the first 3-4 months were great; I had great trainers and the hiring manager was pretty nice.

Cons

The thing is...the employees and the team leads. They don't seem to want to be your friend or be too kind to the teenagers. The manager rarely gave me days off and if you're looking to get PTO or PPTO, don't even try applying. When I did try to take off the manager would talk about seniority. I had an instance where I was still in school and they scheduled me into the morning because they assumed I would be off then got mad at me when I am not the one making the schedule. There's no communication but they expect to have some. I've tried numerous times to find a way to contact my higher-ups but sometimes it gets a little tricky because they so often take vacations and have other locations. Promotions are close to impossible to get even with years of experience. I should have listened to one of my customers who told me she was a former employee and said "they were going to fire me if I didn't show up for work, and I was supposed to take my exams that day. I needed to take those exams to graduate. Find a better job". I've moved on to a better job that gets me PTO, PPTO, and the schedule I want without excuses and death stares. Know your worth, if they don't treat you right...I suggest you leave cause it's not getting better.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits if you can put up with lower pay and customers

May 19, 2022 - Team Member in Irwin, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are above average even for a part time postion. Job is not very difficult in terms of work load. Easy to learn most departments.

Cons

Management is a gamble. Discrimination between other workers. Customers have a tendency to be awful. Pay is not great and does not get much better with time.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Progressive Company until it comes to salary

May 13, 2022 - Recruiting
    Business Outlook

Pros

Progressive, inclusive company, team oriented, advancement opportunities

Cons

2% pay raises with inflation over 7% AFTER announcing how great they did financially, regardless of how good or bad your pointless performance review was. Bonuses are OK.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee

beginning is hard

May 20, 2022 - Grocery Stocker
    Business Outlook

Pros

benefit of insurance all cover & you can transfer position in their system &willing to add more hours with payment.

Cons

manager and team member always change and look forward new good position to transfer.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Make sure all the shelves were stocked

May 15, 2022 - Grocery Stocker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy work nice people good environment

Cons

Low pay low hours boring

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

good job for when in school

May 13, 2022 - Front End Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

work well with availability and hours

Cons

i have no cons here

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

new employee

Mar 18, 2022 - Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Giant store in NE Philly just open up and I really like working for Giant. I am just part time right now and the coach help me with learning all the different ways to scan checks, credit cards and food stamp. All the coaches are very good.

Cons

Many of the employees call out a lot and I do not get a break. I am on my feet for my shift and feel I need to have a break so I can move around or sit down for 15 minutes

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

not worth it

May 17, 2022 - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

only thing is its close to home

Cons

they don't like team members talking about employment things , got told I was going to be written up for telling some one my wage

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not the greatest place to work

May 15, 2022 - Pharmacy Technician in Youngstown, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot to learn about medication and data entry.

Cons

No training. Always understaffed and not a place for teamwork. Coworkers are always finding ways to get others in trouble.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,481 Reviews

Giant Eagle Reviews FAQs

Giant Eagle has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 2,554 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at Giant Eagle to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Giant Eagle employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Giant Eagle. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

56% of Giant Eagle employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Giant Eagle 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Giant Eagle to be work life balance, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Giant Eagle Job Seekers