Giant Eagle Reviews | Glassdoor

Laura Karet

1,239 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Part time turned into full time and without them talking with me first (in 82 reviews)

• Low engagement from upper management (in 56 reviews)

1. "Cashier/Eagle's Nest Attendant"

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Love the part time benefits

Cons

I have no bad things to say

2. "Pharm Tech Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff and boss is amazing. He really cares about his employees and wants to see them all succeed.

Cons

The pharmacy software makes mistakes when orders are inputted and it often creates awkward and confrontational experiences with customers when their orders are not ready in time

Advice to Management

Invest in a newer and better pharmacy software so that lives of technicians and pharmacist are better and less stressful.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Member in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Team Member in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, great management, discount, free drinks

Cons

Low starting pay, short staffed

Advice to Management

Love it here!

4. "Giant Eagle"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Not too much overtime but occasionally available. Some coworkers. Can be fun most of the time.

Cons

Other coworkers and customers can be rough.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Chris in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Chris in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work. I got consistent hours. Enjoyed going in every day. I wish I could have transferred but there were no Giant Eagle in Illinois. They need to come to Peoria IL.

Cons

The only thing is long holiday hours

Feb 19, 2018 – Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and for more than 3 years of service! We’re thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed working for Giant Eagle!

"Good intentions but out of touch with the employment market"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers; smaller community market with established customer base; concerned about responsible service.

Cons

Compensation is poor. Ideal for high school students but grossly insufficient for adult workers; Schedulers want workers to be available 24/7 but only hire part-time help; Management changes frequently and each new face reserves the right to change the game plan to their specifications; Benefits non-existent for part-timers; Everything is governed by the time clock...even brief 15-minute breaks.

Advice to Management

Hourly wages are barely above the state's minimum. Raise them significantly if you want to attract/hire folks who'll stick around. Lose the stupid contests and cheerleading attempts. Instead offer real incentives. Offer a higher purchase discount for employees - 10% covers nothing more than the state sales tax you also charge. Let the inherited (former) Big Bear workers retire with respectable pensions for their many years of service and bring new full-timers on.

Feb 19, 2018 – Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions! We always strive to have a positive work environment, and to pay a competitive wage for our Team Members. We are sorry you did not have that experience... More

"It isn't a horrible job"

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Have good health insurance paid vacation

Cons

There isn't enough hours to go around

Feb 5, 2018 – Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We will submit your feedback regarding the availability of hours to the appropriate department.

8. "Sourcing Recruiter"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Team oriented, good environment, good benefits, flexible, great leadership, autonomous

Cons

As of right now there are no real cons to currently being employed with Giant Eagle

9. "Pharmacy technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Akron, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, good benefits, flexible hours, pension union

Cons

Pretty good company to work but no room for advancement

"Working Conditions/Corporate Ethic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon Lake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon Lake, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice customers, lots to do, upper mgmt generally helpful, when present, and friendly

Cons

Corporate constantly attempting to apply even the most minute layout and detailed placement of items throughout every sub-department, to keep all stores exactly the same, regardless of square footage, traveling path of customers, demographics and local customers' tastes. Too much micro-managment from removed sources. Too many transfers of upper mgmt. to other stores. Also, too quick to hire for management positions by paper requirements, not enough regard for actual hands on experience. Too quick to hire hourly, without regard for what should have been obvious issues. Difficult to change departments if one prefers to, even if that department is hiring. Lifers all seem pretty miserable, just biding their time. And, most insidiously, all workers MUST work mixed shifts throughout every week, resulting in tired workers with imbalances of sleep, home life, child and pet care concerns, not to mention frantic drives at top speed because one overslept. Numerous co-workers of mine have actually rear-ended other cars at red lights, because they are simply over-tired, though have not been working overtime. One even went off the road speeding, landing in a ditch, due to the 2-minute time clock rule. It's just a mandatory inhumane practice, and should be abolished if you want happy safe employees reporting to work, able to focus and work at their efficient best.

Advice to Management

Corporate should place more power and faith in their well paid senior Store Managers, and stop routinely shifting all second level managers to other cities. Department managers should not be made to be afraid to tackle employee problems, as this greatly reduces productivity of the entire department, morale of other employees, and effectiveness of managers. And, such "looking the other way to avoid conflict" results in sanitary related "Criticals", every time! Employees are told to report problems, but just as swiftly "marked in file" as being 'difficult' for doing so, regardless of all verbal gratitude expressed, and subsequent actions taken by management to solve that very same issue, once verified. Being a loyal employee becomes a detriment within this 'hush, hush, no problems' ethic, and you are 'marked'.

Showing 1,239 of 1,261 reviews