Giant Eagle Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

3.6
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet
Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, good benefits, team atmosphere(in 106 reviews)

• "Friendly work environment, team members discounts(in 76 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management our of touch with day to day operations(in 68 reviews)

• "when part time hours can vary A LOT(in 60 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Giant Eagle and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Part of a family

Nov 23, 2020 - Senior Data Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although Giant Eagle has many locations and thousands of employees, you are still appreciated as an individual and valued -- just like family. Giant Eagle actively promotes inclusion and diversity rather than simply paying lip service to these values. Because Giant Eagle is a privately held company, it has the ability to make strategic decisions beyond the next quarterly earnings report, but Giant Eagle is also small enough to move with an agility and swiftness that publicly traded behemoths cannot match.

Cons

Data sharing and input across divisions within the company could be more streamlined.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions with us! We'll be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate teams and look for opportunities to improve.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Awesome place to work!

May 4, 2021 - Front End Cashier in Parma, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful management, flexible schedule, rewarding experience.

Cons

No cons, worked 6 years as a cashier, no complaints no regrets, miss those days and evenings working at Giant Eagle.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Front-End Team Member

Mar 25, 2021 - Cashier in Seven Fields, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

10% team member discount on certain brand goods in the store excluding milk products, opportunities to work in different departments, opportunities to receive Extra Mile rewards upon customers completing surveys from receipts, opportunities to receive increased pay on Sunday's and on holidays if belonging to union, ability to receive free food in break room on occasion, free t-shirts, chances to apply for college scholarships, good way to get to know members of the community, healthcare insurance through the union is good

Cons

customers can be unpleasant, team member discount does not apply to every product in the store

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Requirements vary upon location. Must be flexible and cannot take things personal.

Apr 15, 2021 - Night Shift Leader in Akron, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

- If you don't like to be around a lot of people, your contact with the public is limited - You have access to fresh groceries before the public arrives - You have the day to yourself if you manage your sleep schedule - Your staff/crew is typically friendly - With good management, the job can be a simple and easy to learn

Cons

- High turnover - A lot of call offs - Management tends to either be hands-off or micromanaging - Schedule can be a challenge for social life - Different stores have completely different expectations which can be frustrating - Since you work nights, you're easily forgotten about - Petty management

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your concerns with us! We will be sure to share your thoughts regarding management, high turnover and consistent expectations with the appropriate teams.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

LOve it

May 2, 2021 - In Store Shopper - Curbside in Avon Lake, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Feels like family and love everyone

Cons

Can become very stressful at times

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place

May 3, 2021 - Deli Clerk in Pittsburg, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome managers to work for

Cons

Weekend work was not my favorite

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Truth

May 1, 2021 - Pharmacy Technician in Greensburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many benefits like paid vacations

Cons

Rude costumers that are sometimes hard to deal with.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cashier

Apr 26, 2021 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

good work environment and they acknowledge hard work and customer compliments

Cons

If you did not plan on working there for a while, you would not get the union benefits you pay into

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Work at Giant Eagle

Mar 1, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork is key. Everything you do is connected to another's ability to perform their task.Biggest reward is Knowing their policies and procedures, always readily available in all departments. Excellent benefits and all the hours you're available to meet. Excellent promotions program that affords growth within the company. Excellent benefits and pay, along with a Union. Friendly co-workers willing to help you learn your way. Great place to work!

Cons

I had No disappointments during my very temporary stay. I had personal issues with transitioning to SSI( which I've learned that I can earn as much as I like) and into subsidized housing. Ultimately, I've worked out my issues and know how to move forward. I have a good work ethic and I thank you for any consideration in advance.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We're thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience during your time with us.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Workload manageable, pay and hours you can’t survive on

Mar 20, 2021 - Assembly Line Worker in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

As stated in the headline. Much more manageable workload than a previous store in another state. Much less prone to the repetitive motion injuries or strains that come with this type of job.

Cons

The low pay that comes with working in the retail sector despite its being “essential”. Also, the likelihood of getting to 40 hours in a week is slim unless you agree to take on some management responsibilities without a concomitant increase in pay. I think you can work up to 38 (maybe 36, don’t remember) hours a week without being considered FT for purposes of benefits. But it’s Union, so they’ve negotiated a better-than-industry-standard benefits package. Finally, the joy of working with the public.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We always strive to pay a competitive wage for our Team Members and will be sure to share your concerns regarding rate of pay with the appropriate team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,020 Reviews