Giant Eagle Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet

Cons

1. "Concerned Giant Eagle Employee"

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Canfield, OH
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Canfield, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Works with school schedules and flexible

Cons

This company has went to being one of the best to the worst everything from management to hours

2. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, there are multiple locations for employment

Cons

Low wages, hours constantly get cut

3. "Long hours and long nights"

Pros

Good benefits and good pay

Cons

Get ready for midnight call offs

Advice to Management

Learn better hiring processes

"Starts at the top"

Former Employee - Store Management in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Store Management in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few but the employees that work there would be the main thing that stands out. Most are very hard working and have wonderful personalities. They need better pay and more rewards for what they do.

Cons

Lets see: Horrendous communication, no advancement opportunities, micromanagement at its finest, and terrible pay. I was the 3rd highest paid manager in the store and made just enough to live paycheck to paycheck. Oh, and bonuses are a JOKE

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and fairly. Many of them are great people and should be treated that way. Your business is FAILING due to the lack of respect for store employees and your greed. Get back to the basics, that's about the only way your business has any possibility of growing in the future.

6. "Giant Eagle"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Good health benefits
    Employee discount
    Coworkers

Cons

Pay
    Workload
    Employee appreciation
    Terrible corporate management

Advice to Management

Go back to the old way of doing things.

"Once was rising and now is falling!"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Springfield, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grocery business is steady and always needed. As a part time employee they are willing to work with your schedule. Pay for salary team member is average.

Cons

As a salary leader they will work you to death. They cut hours and give all employees an unrealistic level of responsibility. They want to hire robots, like minded individuals and not free thinkers (just do what I say). Corporate seems to know customer base better than store leaders and other team members at store level. Product freshness and customer service was a key role in competing in a fierce market... Now they get prepacked meat just like Walmart and they still try to charge premium price for a low quality product. Constant long grocery lines on weekends because customer service is at an all time low... The produce, pharmacy and liquor department (excluding fuel perks) are all they have left.. Imagine dedicating your life to a company and one day they decide to let you go because you now make to much money... There own greed got them to the penny pinching state and it will ultimately be what causes them to sell many stores. Note to business owners.. if you own any type of business really. Don't build stores on top of each other or less than 10 miles away in any direction... If you do you will often move profit from store A into store B from an already existing customer and when you do this with hundreds or thousands of existing customers your new store does not make that much more if you subtract the preexisting customers monies but you double labor costs, costs of goods, rental and utilities​ cost, you double shrink expenses, and healthcare costs and only half of monies coming in is new monies.... It leads to big problems and we all know to be successful you have to bring in more money than you pay out. Greed gets everyone at some point. I'm glad I got out before this all came to a head.

Advice to Management

Things started going down hill when David left... how long will you let your new CEO run your business into the ground... Make a change.

8. "Event Plannibg"

Current Employee - Event Planning in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Event Planning in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are worth all the effort

Cons

The leadership is lacking in the dept.

Advice to Management

Get on board and listen to your employees. They have good ideas and they are experienced

9. "Decent job with poor management"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Decent pay after staying with the company for a while
    Always given breaks
    Paid vacation

Cons

Management tends to ignore availability
    Frequently schedules part-timers over 36 hours but does not give full time benefits
    Management refuses to back up their cashiers when there is an angry customer
    Frequently does not schedule enough cashiers for busy times
    Forced to be in union
    Frequent call offs due to said union
    Many rules that apply to some, but not all front end employees

Advice to Management

Standardize the rules when it comes to availability and scheduling

"Glory Days Have Passed Them By"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A lot, I mean a lot of very nice people who try to do their best everyday.
    Nice campus environment
    WFH policies are very liberal

Cons

Executive team is completely lost. Industry is transforming and GE is replacing a curbside application for the 3x. Small investments being made that have been trumped by the competition. No vision, no roadmap, no leadership.

Advice to Management

You cannot cut your way to prosperity. Brain drain post layoffs will accelerate. Leadership team and family need to take a step back and assess what they want to do, how to get there and do they have the intestinal fortitude, brainpower and resources to make it happen.

11. "Dysfunctional, dishonest, unethical"

Current Employee - Cashier in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Giant Eagle (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are amazing. Through the years I've been there I've gotten to know many customers too. Holidays mean free food in the break room, but only from like 11-5.

Cons

Managers play favorites all the time. There's no such thing as a consistent schedule! Expect to be given just shy of full time. There's a feeling that we can't complain or express concerns because they won't be acknowledged. Employee "discount" is very low, and half the additional perks aren't even available in my store. Nobody educates us on policies, just expects us to read their minds and then gets upset when we can't. Managers routinely defy corporate policy to retain customers, even when the customer in question is obviously being dishonest. Customers know this and manipulate their way around you, and then you look like a fool for trying to do the right thing. Customer steals $50 and can continue shopping with the store leader's permission. Employee eats a can of soup before paying for it and he gets fired. You will live and breathe your job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Clarify your policies and make sure everyone actually understands them. The whole "sign this sheet" thing doesn't work when no one actually reads it. Quit undervaluing your employees. Quit cutting hours and then getting mad at us for being unable to do our jobs. One loss prevention person for two stores is ridiculous. No wonder your loss is through the roof. Why post your values everywhere if you don't actually follow them?

Showing 172 of 1,018 reviews