Giant Eagle Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017
1,041 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,041 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible hours work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• The most flexible schedule you will ever be offered in a company (in 52 reviews)

Cons

1. "A Little Rocky in Uncertain Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarentum, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarentum, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company history with people who care about each other. There are pockets of teams you want to be on!

Cons

Currently in a challenged business environment, searching for the next niche.

Advice to Management

Look at the ineffective leaders you chose to keep vs. the effective Team Members you let go. Track records are important and the current leadership doesn't have a good one. Let's see real results before moving on.

2. "Only teenagers should apply for this company"

Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very little responsibilities. No supervision.

Cons

Work environment is strictly for teenagers. Even the management staff is very immature. Company is not very big on ethics

Advice to Management

Need better recognition program.

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good insurance, get raises regularly that's about all that can be said positively about working here, at least at the carmel location.

Cons

Claim to be a family company, but penalize you for anything and everything. Cannot miss a day of you are sick or you points, can't leave early for emergency or you get a point. Basically anything you do gets you a point which leads to suspensions. They are not consistent in who gets in trouble for what.

Advice to Management

Realize that things happen and treat your employees like they have lives outside of the store, dont punish them for having emergencies or sickness.

5. "Front End Coordinator"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, OH
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my co-workers and managers have developed a great relationship with me personally. If you want to be noticed you have to work extremely hard and for many this is difficult.

Cons

There are many cons such as the fact that certain front end coordinators do not respect their co-workers just because they have not been there as long as them. Also I find it frustrating that I don't have the opportunity to grow in the company until I graduate or get an internship, I know many of the inner workers of Giant Eagle and would benefit greatly from a pay upgrade.

Advice to Management

Please enable your workers and the business to succeed by scheduling more workers more hours and allowing workers that excel to do more tasks.

6. "No room for advancement"

Current Employee - Store Leader of Getgo in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Store Leader of Getgo in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and they promise you the world....but do not deliver.

Cons

Too many audits. Too much busy work.

Advice to Management

No clue what goes on in stores. Constant senior management movement is unsettling.

"Starts at the top"

Former Employee - Store Management in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Store Management in Akron, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few but the employees that work there would be the main thing that stands out. Most are very hard working and have wonderful personalities. They need better pay and more rewards for what they do.

Cons

Lets see: Horrendous communication, no advancement opportunities, micromanagement at its finest, and terrible pay. I was the 3rd highest paid manager in the store and made just enough to live paycheck to paycheck. Oh, and bonuses are a JOKE

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and fairly. Many of them are great people and should be treated that way. Your business is FAILING due to the lack of respect for store employees and your greed. Get back to the basics, that's about the only way your business has any possibility of growing in the future.

8. "Getgo - Strictly For Kids"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ok benefits. Not many of pros to write about

Cons

Very childish atmosphere. Very little training. Management won't enforce any company policies

Advice to Management

Take a good look at what is going on in your stores

"Once was rising and now is falling!"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Springfield, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grocery business is steady and always needed. As a part time employee they are willing to work with your schedule. Pay for salary team member is average.

Cons

As a salary leader they will work you to death. They cut hours and give all employees an unrealistic level of responsibility. They want to hire robots, like minded individuals and not free thinkers (just do what I say). Corporate seems to know customer base better than store leaders and other team members at store level. Product freshness and customer service was a key role in competing in a fierce market... Now they get prepacked meat just like Walmart and they still try to charge premium price for a low quality product. Constant long grocery lines on weekends because customer service is at an all time low... The produce, pharmacy and liquor department (excluding fuel perks) are all they have left.. Imagine dedicating your life to a company and one day they decide to let you go because you now make to much money... There own greed got them to the penny pinching state and it will ultimately be what causes them to sell many stores. Note to business owners.. if you own any type of business really. Don't build stores on top of each other or less than 10 miles away in any direction... If you do you will often move profit from store A into store B from an already existing customer and when you do this with hundreds or thousands of existing customers your new store does not make that much more if you subtract the preexisting customers monies but you double labor costs, costs of goods, rental and utilities​ cost, you double shrink expenses, and healthcare costs and only half of monies coming in is new monies.... It leads to big problems and we all know to be successful you have to bring in more money than you pay out. Greed gets everyone at some point. I'm glad I got out before this all came to a head.

Advice to Management

Things started going down hill when David left... how long will you let your new CEO run your business into the ground... Make a change.

"Good pay but horrible employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Good pay, had some pretty nice managers.

Cons

The employees pretty much thrive off drama. They all talk about each other and management doesn't really deal with it.

11. "Deli Clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with, including my immediate supervisor. Was able to meet a lot of new people.

Cons

Upper management could cause stress. Busy days and some customers could cause stress. Had to be able to adapt quickly.

Showing 1,041 of 1,059 reviews