Giant Eagle "team members" Reviews | Glassdoor

Giant Eagle Employee Reviews about "team members"

Updated Oct 23, 2019

3.3
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet
Pros
Cons
  • "Full time not available unless you work your way up through managament(in 91 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn’t let department managers run their departments(in 62 reviews)

Reviews about "team members"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to build your career!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible schedule and set my own hours. - Positive support group within my department. - Growth potential. - I love working in HR and helping Team Members within the organization. - I love coming to work each day with different objectives and challenges.

Cons

- A lot of corporate opportunities are available in Pittsburgh. It would be nice to see some of these positions available in the Columbus market. There is a lot of talent in Columbus which remains untapped! - Remote work would be a nice option for even more flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing GetGo & Giant Eagle to be large with a private, small company feel. I think this really helps to differentiate our business from the competitors. I'd love to see the Columbus market continue to grow!

Giant Eagle2019-08-07
  2. "Going downhill with new changes, Once a great opportunity"

Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to work with your schedule

Cons

Lack of advancement, Lack of training for new team members

Advice to Management

Listen to constructive criticism from team members and some customers, some answers actually worth looking into

Giant Eagle2019-10-24
  3. "Kitchen manager"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Every week payday Morning shifts allow you to have a full day after work Benefits

Cons

Upper management doesn’t let department managers run their departments. Even tho we are responsible for our departments and get held accountable for our teams mistakes but we aren’t aloud to write up/ hold team-members accountable for their work or actions. Only salaried leaders are aloud to write them up which doesn’t happen most of the time so in turn the team members know that they have no consequences. They... give you a false sense of power to make a difference and develop team members. Also if you try and use their”open door policy “ you get no response even from hr . The entire company has the attitude ignore the problems until they go away.

Advice to Management

Let your leaders lead , respond properly and promptly to All concerns

Giant Eagle2019-09-02

"GE is fine for now; time will tell if it's my forever workplace"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule at corporate. My current role offers a good work-life balance. My department is generally open to new ideas and made up of young folks looking to help make a difference. I really enjoy shopping for own brands with my 10% discount.

Cons

Medical: The medical coverage is not enough. I often do not go to Urgent Care or the doctor's because I do not want to pay the amount of money that my insurance won't cover. Education: There are no education benefits or loan repayment plans. Since most Millennials and Gen Z team members have student debt, we should use this to recruit new folks or to encourage existing folks to get more education.... Maternity/Paternity: The maternity policy is only 6 weeks paid (after x years of service), but other companies in our market offer much more time off even on day 1. I'd like to see paternity time increase to be equal to maternity leave. Work-Life Balance: Not all departments enjoy flexible scheduling or realistic working conditions. Some branches of the company have team members consistently working 60 hour weeks. GetGo is one team that is constantly drowning. Diversity: 95% of the team members are white. Many departments struggle with diversity (tech teams are primarily men, most team members are white, etc.). There is hardly any diversity at the top. A few VPs are women, but no one is a person of color. Only one identifies as LGBT. It would be great to not have mostly straight white men as leaders (from VPs down to the manager level).

Advice to Management

Some managers strictly impede the development and happiness of their teams with their poor leadership. Each team should be able to benefit equally from the policies and perks we have in place, not just whichever manager is willing to participate. Managers, including VPs, should be retrained on best leadership practices as it is obvious that many of these folks are out of touch, not inclusive of different people, and... discourage ideas that are either not their own or not their way. We should reevaluate who is in leadership positions and if that is an appropriate role for them. We should bring back behavior and expectation policies, like no meetings before 8:30am or after 5pm, not expecting corporate culture to include constantly checking emails, etc. We should reestablish healthy boundaries to increase better work-life balance. Management should recognize that behavior and attitude reflect leadership. If leaders work 60 hour weeks and compose emails at nights/on weekends, they are saying to their team "this is my expectation". It puts the expectation on team members that they must behave as their leadership does. Leaders should change the culture from the top down. If we want to be a family-oriented company, I'd love to see my leaders openly say "I don't work more than 40 hours a week because I want to spend time with my family".

Giant Eagle2019-08-07

"They don't care that much about you"

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Columbus, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Groceries discount for in-store goods - Customer relation with loyal customers

Cons

- Manager puts the blame on team members for his own mistake - Policies are really strict

Giant Eagle2019-06-17

"Definitely not what you expect from this Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits Flexible Schedule (For Hourly Team Members)

Cons

I have worked for Giant Eagle for almost three years now. I can honestly say that as a salary member of management you are under appreciated. Assistant leaders make around 10 grand less a year than a store leader and they pretty much have the EXACT same job. Being told that corporate is in town basically strikes fear in everyone. There are way too many Audits! Salary Management gets the same amount of... vacation time as a full time team member. Salary is extremely low for the amount of hours that they will make you work. Full of false promises. (Will you get promoted? Or will you get screwed over?) I could write a book but that would take too much time!

Giant Eagle2019-05-20
  7. "flexible scheduling and friendly atmosphere"

Current Employee - Curbside Express in Seven Fields, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly co-workers, easy job, flexible scheduling, holiday team member perks

Cons

things often out of stock in store, low employee discount, customers can be rude

Advice to Management

more stocking employees in store and stock more overnight (not during busy hours), better team member discounts, more competitive pay

Giant Eagle2018-12-18
  8. "review"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

team member discounts and some decent benefits, if you work for corporate

Cons

department manager is lax at dealing with interpersonal problems

Giant Eagle2018-11-29
  9. "Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

It is a challenging environment as retail is not for everyone. You get to know your clientele and impact your local community everyday. When you get the job done it is satisfying and fulfilling. It is a warm, fun and social environment where you get to meet new people everyday, from customers to coworkers. The team becomes your family and the customers your friends and good acquaintances.The medical benefits are... great compared to most retail and grocery stores. There is opportunities to move up the ranks quickly if your motivated and committed as a large majority of management are close to retirement and there seems to be a steady demand for leaders and upper management.

Cons

To most people it is hardwork. This is not an easy job but it is definitely rewarding if you see the bigger picture and realize the impact you make on your local community and customers. Most days your exhausted and burnt out by the end of the day however it is called work. It is hard to have a work life balance due to this as most days you want to just come home and rest. As well as shifts can vary greatly from... early mornings to late evenings. Wages are not really competitive at an hourly rate as they advertise. However some stores have raised their starting wages up to 10 dollars or more an hour compared to the state minimum. Some senior management is hard to communicate with and there seems to be a sink or swim culture with training and deadlines. Proper training and time has been lost and has become a frustrating problem for new and existing team members as well as mamagement.

Advice to Management

People get tired and exhausted. Your team members are people and would like to see and hear from you. They are not just digits and numbers for labor. They want to know they are important and make an impactful difference and they want to hear it directly from you. Please loose the sink or swim mentality and make proper training a real attainable goal. This includes store level management and upper management.

Giant Eagle2018-11-15
  10. "Management With Giant Eagle"

Current Employee - Front End Team Leader in Bethel Park, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Acknowledgement from higher ups. Great team members to work with. Many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Lots of hours. Can be challenging with staffing at times.

Giant Eagle2018-08-28