Giant Eagle "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 2, 2019

3.2
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet
  1. "Great Team to work with"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Young co-workers, enthusiastic, relatively nice area

Cons

Upper management did not handle layoffs well

Advice to Management

Do a much better job if layoffs come around again.

Giant Eagle2017-10-15
  2. "meat cutter"

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

pay is pretty good, great benefits as well

Cons

no help from upper management. they tell you not to cover call offs

Giant Eagle2017-09-29
  3. "Giant eagle"

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Union benefits and they actually try to help.

Cons

Everyone in upper management treats you like they are better than you

Giant Eagle2017-08-14
  4. "family drama"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in West Newton, PA

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers, friendly and regular customers

Cons

Terrible upper management, favoritism, lack of flexibility, wages

Advice to Management

Stop involving family in everything and playing favorites and actually treat employees with respect and you'd keep people longer

Giant Eagle2017-07-19
  5. "I enjoyed my time working at Giant Eagle"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment fostered by several good managers made my experience with Giant Eagle very enjoyable. Another big plus for me working in the deli was that you would get to know your customers better which would lead to better customer service overall. You also get a paid week of vacation after a year along with decent benefits.

Cons

The pay was a little low compared to other stores with openings, and the management is bound by upper management which limits the number of hours available which leads to worker shortages.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find a way to pay workers just a little more, especially if they are going to have you working short staffed.

Giant Eagle2017-06-14
  6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Streetsboro, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits for part-time employees. Pretty consistent pay increase. Paid vacation accrues as you work there. They love to promote from within!

Cons

Low engagement from upper management

Advice to Management

Get out on the floor more, engage with all your employees

Giant Eagle2017-05-25
  7. "Giant Eagle, a wonderful place to work."

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have okay benefits and I've been there for way too long that I won't make what I make now anywhere else.

Cons

They have pay me decently but how much I have to put up with doesn't make the pay really worth it when you take into the consideration in order to make what I should be I have to work a lot of overtime. I've been with the company for over 10 years because I started when I was in high school. However, I work in the Frozen Department, you would think that I would have some help. But instead of me getting help I get broken promises of being told that I'm going to start to get help. At my store, no one other than me knows how to fill ice, they don't care that anyone can do it but nope only me. when I don't fill it, it sits empty for days until I have time to fill it. Even after I've had talks with management about it and I'm told "Daylight and Evening employees will fill it before they leave for the night" I don't get help putting up my frozen order, no matter how much there is...I've went to management about it and I'm told we can move you back so you're not coming in so early...okay since I'm not getting help and getting finished close to my cutoff time for my order...bringing me in later will do what? Make sure I don't have the time to write and check my order? Sure because we don't need certain things people want to buy and the things that they don't buy well since the AR system says we'll sell it, it must be right? However, there are known bugs in the system so everyone has to check it but I shouldn't worry about it we need useless stock. Then I'm told I have to work 8 and out, I'm okay with. However, I get yelled at because something didn't get done because I worked the 8 and out. Then we have people who have a ton of help that could and should get out 8 and out but it's okay for them to stand about, not doing any work, and work 10 or more hours. They don't even run a department so how's it okay for them to get overtime but me trying to run my department nope I'm not allowed. To me that makes absolutely no sense. I also don't understand when managers see things and how they keep on happening, they don't try to change things instead they say "things are going to change just hang in there" They and I both know that things aren't going to change because that might involve them doing work. I also don't understand when you go and try to reach out for help since you're not getting any at the store level, they go and tell the people you are talking about that you said this and that about them. Then you get called into the office and the people don't disagree with what you said they only disagree that you went for help and let someone else know about what's going on. And then they make more lies and broken promises. I've tried going for overnight team leader, but since I'm the only one that can work my Frozen department, the people in charge turn it down and say "you don't want that, they aren't going to pay you what you're making now." So I say "yeah but at least I can have help and won't get treated like everyone treats me around here. At which I'm told, "you think that we get treated any better than you?" I'm pretty sure that you get help and when you have problems, they aren't ignored. Then I'm told "trust me, you don't know what you're getting yourself into." Really after over 10 years of being here and seeing how things go and what happens, I don't know what I'm trying to get myself into? I'm pretty sure all I want is help and no one will give me it and when I try to go to upper management I'm told "will get you some help" and it never arrives.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you're going to give out overtime, see if the people are actually working and/or if they deserve it. Just because they're your friend doesn't mean that you should cut someone else's hours and give the hours to your friends. It might rub people the wrong way, when a bunch of crew members are complaining about it maybe think how would I feel if I was the other person.

Giant Eagle2017-06-25
  8. "Not good"

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Fast paced, get to attend cool events around the city

Cons

Not really any room for growth, usually hire outside the company for upper management

Giant Eagle2017-03-14
  9. "Deli Clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with, including my immediate supervisor. Was able to meet a lot of new people.

Cons

Upper management could cause stress. Busy days and some customers could cause stress. Had to be able to adapt quickly.

Giant Eagle2017-01-09
  10. "ok place to work, tons of workplace drama"

Current Employee - Bakery in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is good for local 19 workers, newer workers dont get too much

Cons

Work place drama, upper management does nothing and we are actually told not to take things to hr. They put someone in charge who is a bipolar alcoholic and can not separate her personal life from work.

Giant Eagle2017-01-19