Giant Eagle "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 2, 2019

3.2
Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet
Laura Karet
  1. "Getting better, hopefully"

Cashier in Parma, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

I like the flexability of the schedule. And have somewhat of an opportunity to explore other departments.

Cons

There are clicks with upper management and employees, that may hinder your ability for advancement within the company. Some of these employees in the "click" receive better treatment then others and do what they please, without repercussion. These "click" employees also disrespect the SCO employees that are responsible for their behavior.

Advice to Management

Advice to management. Be more aware of your surroundings, including the (little people) cashiers. CLICKS! Give credit where credit is due! Appreciate your employees! Thank them! Great comments are given every day from customers. Do you get them? There are jealous employees that will not pass on great comments from customers. wrong.

Giant Eagle2015-02-25
  2. "Great place to start your job, can be tough moving up."

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Store managers are pretty laidback people, as long as you are doing something work related, co-workers are also nice and very helpful. The benefits are pretty good. The pay is good compared to other grocery stores with similar type of jobs.

Cons

The worst thing about working here is it's very tough to move up and advance to better positions, the fastest way to do so is by befriending store managers and other upper management, and hope that they like you enough to recommend you. The work-life balance could be better, but it's expected since it's retail.

Advice to Management

The advice I have for management is to train and hire within the company for managerial and corporate positions, since a lot of younger employees are finishing college and looking to continue their careers. Also offer more scholarships to students that are in college and are majoring in a field where GE can employ them after graduating.

Giant Eagle2015-02-01
  3. "Mic"

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Fun environment fun to merchandise

Cons

Long hours upper management lacked operation skills

Advice to Management

More full time

Giant Eagle2015-01-19
  4. "Started great has steadily declined."

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Many good people work there.

Cons

Terrible hours, constantly changing, upper management is clueless.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who have experience in each department and stop letting your egos get in the way.

Giant Eagle2015-01-07

"If your looking for a terrible, wasteful career...work at GE"

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get a paycheck every week, that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.....I have been a manager or "team leader" as they call it for over 10 years. The company is a joke. They do not care about customers or anyone who works in the stores. They care about the bottom line, their profits. If you ever seen the commercial about the company being a family, it's a complete utterly lie. They have no advancement program for anyone. They will move you to a different store every 1-3 years, dorsnt matter how far it is, I was currently traveling 3 hours aday roundtrip and they dont give you anymore in your paycheck either. You have to know someone to even move up in the company, don't think hard work and dedication works...that's the mistake I made. You will never feel appreciated. Raises are once a year and minimal. Bonuses exist but are very miniscule (less than a paycheck for the whole year). I seen them fire people because they didnt like them because they had balls and said no. They vp says he doesn't care if you work 27 hours a day but you better get you work done. So there is no work life balance, you can't take a weekend day off. You will work a lot of nights and mid shifts. They continually think they are the only game in town, I was told that several times. Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management. The CEO doesnt know how to run this company (what's left of it)

Advice to Management

You are not "the only game in town". Customers and employees know that...stop thinking they don't. Running double fuelperks is retarded, everyone just wants lower prices for the same food you get at Wal-Mart, shopnsave, aldis, and foodlion. Quit trying to get rich quick and put the money back in the customer pockets. I could go on and on but they don't care what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. You know that survey youhave on your rreceipt and you call in to give complaints? Yea we have meetings about it and they would read them and laugh (especially when a dozens of people would say "lower prices").

Giant Eagle2014-09-10
  6. "Experience varies depending on your store/manager."

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Depending on your position, it can be a very fun and relaxed environment. I made some really good friends in my three years there.

Cons

While I was there, corporate started changing certain policies that may have looked great on paper, but weren't in the least bit practical. Their "point" system for attendance was ridiculous. For not being part of a union (upper management would go on at length about how terrible unions were), they sure acted like there was one - terrible employees were never fired or disciplined, but those they could expect more from got the shaft all the time.

Advice to Management

If you're going to be a manager, or in corporate, you should have to work in each department for at least one shift so you know what it's like on the floor. Otherwise the [good] employees are just going to laugh at your mandates and do their jobs the right way.

Giant Eagle2014-08-11
  7. "Lots of talk with little follow through"

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people to work with. Some advancement in career. Over time pay for holidays. Decent hours if you're lucky enough to get them.

Cons

Low ball salaries. Upper management plays favorites. Lots of talk with change with little action. Management won't make hard but necessary decisions.

Advice to Management

Pick a company vision and stick with it, stop changing company initiatives and identity every year. Perhaps create something on your own, and stop using other company's styles?

Giant Eagle2014-08-07

"Average minimum wage experience"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Stow, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is unionized, so the employees have some protection; scheduling time off usually works well if you have enough notice; employees are generally nice; paid vacation after a year

Cons

Can't maintain a healthy work-life balance with the hours and pay of minimum wage; upper management is not always friendly; getting time off and getting hours is based on seniority so if you're not planning to stay very long I would not recommend working here

Giant Eagle2014-07-29

"Evil company"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are nice. Senior employees are crazy and not afraid to speak up to management. Pay checks come every Thursday.

Cons

Hours will get drastically cut so owners can save money to open new stores(on the bus line where I was living there was 4 giant eagles and a market district! Within a few blocks of each other ) upper management does not care, in my case they took me from 40 plus hours a week to four four hour shifts and expected me to do the same amount of work in 4 hours that I was turning out in 8-10. You have union dues and the union will not help you when you need help. I started off as a bakery clerk and when I went to cake decorator apprentice to cake decorator I didn't see a raise!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop building stores so close together, you're a small business, start acting like one. I can see your company going under within the next 15 years. Your prices (even with the same brands 10% discount for employees) are priced like your selling gold! $5 for a single chocolate covered strawberry? $8 a pound for hot bar food that comes in bags!! What chef in their right mind can't make haluski or spaghetti or fried chicken? I can make 10 lbs of haluski for under $5!!

Giant Eagle2014-07-10
  10. "Good company, but personnel can ruin your experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Prepared Foods Team Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible with their hours. Decent pay, and good benefits for grocery chain. Offer a lot of resources through Human Resources that many people don't take advantage of.

Cons

Your experience can be ruined by upper management. They can hold grudges and undermine your leaders, which results in low morale. This might not affect you as a team member, but it can permeate through the department.

Advice to Management

Keep it professional. Don't let personal bias cloud judgement. Stand behind your leaders, or you will foster an environment of entitlement.

Giant Eagle2014-03-20