Giant Food Stores Grocery Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

0 Rating
  1. "Grocery Associate"

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Shillington, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and decent hours

Cons

Managers can be hard to work with at times

Giant Food Stores2018-03-26
  2. "Focus on employees, middle-management lacked direction"

Former Employee - Grocery Associate in Burnham, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was just a job to work at while in high school and a few years into college. My store managers were very nice people and easy to work for, aside from one. A majority of the employees had been working there for several years and were very nice to work with. The company also puts a lot of focus on employees

Cons

The store saw several changes in the store manager position in the 3.5 years I worked there. They all seemed to run the place well aside from the last one that I was there for. He only seemed interested in impressing middle-management in order to get his old job back there. He had ordered us to place so many displays around the store that customers had a difficult time navigating their carts through some spaces. He also would blame other people and punish them for mistakes and decisions that he made. Middle-management (regional managers) also seemed to have no clue what they wanted to do with the company. They were almost constantly changing policies that our store had in place for years, making it hard for employees to keep up. In college, I would only come home every few weeks to work and it seemed like they had made and reversed new decisions every time i came back. These regional managers were also very rude to regular employees when they came to the stores. They would frequently ignore us or blow us off when we would say hello

Giant Food Stores2017-04-27
  3. "Not a bad job if you're in high school"

Grocery Associate in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores

Pros

Generally always something to do. If you like working with people you'll be fine at Giant. It's a great part time or summer job for high school students.

Cons

Poor management at that location at the time. The communication was not good and at some points it seemed like you were supposed to read management's mind.

Advice to Management

Communicate more and be more transparent. The lack of communication is detrimental to success. Do more things to reduce the front end turnover rate.

Giant Food Stores2016-09-01
  4. "Review"

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible hours. Ability to interact with various employees and customers. Paycheck comes every Friday, so that is always a plus.

Cons

The management could definitely be better. Majority of managers tend to be very annoying and be disrespectful. The front end is the worst in terms of management. The other departments are ok.

Giant Food Stores2016-08-18
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Grocery Associate

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Currently working at giant part time after school I really enjoy working there and the managers are always friendly. I work in the grocery department and there is always something to do.

Cons

Nothing I can really think of, if you do your job properly you will get along just fine.

Advice to Management

My experience with management has been great, they always include you and try and have a conversation with you not just about work but about how you're doing in life all together.

Giant Food Stores2016-04-28
  6. "General review"

Grocery Associate in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores

Pros

Great place to work. Flexible hours and management accommodates availability.

Cons

It's hard to get a full time position

Giant Food Stores2016-04-07

"If the managers treat you badly, leave while you can"

Former Employee - Grocery/Dairy/Produce/Front End Associate in Easton, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people to work with. Good amount of work to be done so you can stay busy. Can move up in the company and move around if you show competence and motivation.

Cons

Most store managers treat their employees with little respect. I had a few that were good, honest and caring and even those people eventually will turn on you if you are not flowing down stream like every other employee that bends to their will. I understand that managers are the will and you are the labor but some managers, especially store managers and assistant store managers were terrible to work for and held their power of your head. If you do what you are told, stay in the box and just take it as they say and thats it, you will do just fine.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and a sense of care and their labor will go grow further than you could imagine. Treat people like trash and that is the effort you will get from them unless they over achieve even when they are disrespected or talked down to.

Giant Food Stores2016-01-07
  8. "A decent place to work for, depending on your attitude."

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Reading, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

- You can have a rewarding job and get noticed for doing hard work, if you bring a good attitude. - The management is a good team and they will thank you and respect you for doing a good job. - There are lots of job openings, and one of the departments is usually always hiring. - The starting rate is $9.00/hr. for part time employees. - Training is paid. - The store gets good corporate scores. - You meet basically everyone there, and all the mangers. You can make friends and there's lots of possibilities for coworker referrals in the future. - Not a lot of micromanaging. The job role is usually the same every day. - They offer insurance (if you're full-time) and a 401k plan.

Cons

- Some coworkers, especially the part-time workers, just don't care (and nobody knows why they're still there). They damage the morale of the workplace, and other associates end up having to do their work. - Time management can be difficult. - If you're under 18, you can't work in the departments. - Part-timers are limited to 29 hours per week. - 29 hours or less per week means you don't qualify for benefits, including health insurance.

Giant Food Stores2015-06-16
  9. "This place is great to work at."

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is awesome for a teenager in high school or someone looking for some cash on the side. Very easy to do and is easy to learn what to do.

Cons

Management seems very out of whack but can be organized at times.

Advice to Management

Get organized!!

Giant Food Stores2015-06-11
  10. "Great place to work. Good pay. Easy to move up without degree."

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Levittown, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Promote from within. Easy to move up with out degree. Very diverse workforce. Friendly employees and managers. Wide variety of locations.

Cons

Customers in some locations can be hard to deal with, but this is the case at many jobs. Starting pay for younger workers.

Advice to Management

Increase hours available for part timers.

Giant Food Stores2014-11-10