Giant Food Stores "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Nicholas Bertram

"Part time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good college schedule balance fro part time

Cons

management inconsistencies with leave requests

Advice to Management

standardize time records

Giant Food Stores2018-09-20
  2. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time

Pros

They will work with your availability as a part time associate. They allocated to my college school schedule with little to no issues.

Cons

Employees receive no discount unless it is around a holiday event. Associates in lower positions (i.e. cashiers, baggers, etc.) have a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Those in management do fairly well with customers. Complacent employees are hard to find, but those who are hurt other associate's, as well as overall store performance.

Giant Food Stores2018-09-06

"OK for part-time"

Former Employee - GM Team Leader

I worked at Giant Food Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Giant was pretty flexible with scheduling when I was part-time and in school. Insurance benefits for full-timers are good.

Cons

Horrible work-life balance. Once I was full-time, I worked 6 days a week and was constantly receiving phone calls about work when I wasn't there (I was not a salaried member of management, but an hourly department lead). There is little to no communication from management, lots of misunderstandings and confusion. Not enough time spent on training associates. Management will demand you stay late to help out other departments or if the store is busy, BUT will scold you later for "going over on hours." When asked why he was over on hours, a coworker of mine said to the manager "I stayed late because you told me to" to which the manager responded "Don't talk back to me."

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Listen to and address their concerns.

Giant Food Stores2018-03-02

"Deli"

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Reading, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with . So so management if you like liers

Cons

applied for full time . was told as soon as a position opened Id go full time but was to start part time with plenty of over time to make up the hours . Let it be known I was hired due to my 17 years as a deli manager for another company an was told id be in management very quickly . manager left deli an told office they were stepping down . was never offered the position neither was the assistant either . but who was called to come in when the druggies were to screwed up to come in an the ones who were no call no show oh an lets not forget the drunks either . no matter how many times you report it to management they do nothing I even had customers complaining to me about the smell of pot or booze .

Advice to Management

Stop lieing to get good employees only to screw them over . start watching your store managers too make sure the follow company polcies .

Giant Food Stores2018-01-02
  5. "Giant Food Stores"

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time

Pros

It was a friendly working environment.

Cons

Thee were lots of employees, so only part time was available.

Giant Food Stores2017-10-25

"So much disorder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits Flexible hours Easy to request off if you are part-time

Cons

Front End managers suck. Over the past 10 years, I have worked there we have had about 6-7 new front end managers. All of which were terrible in their own way. When I first started working at Giant as a teenager, I loved working there. It was fun and our manager at the time was amazing and sweet. Now, Giant's new system and the new implementations are horrible and it's going downhill. They DO NOT care about their employee's. The customer is always right, which is BS. They side with customers over their EE's, even if the customer is wrong. For example, when you are trying to do your job and implement the rules and regulations that Giant out in place and even if customers are not following the regulations and you confront them, they will complain to customer service/managers about you confronting them and Giant would give them a gift card. Why? Because they do not want to lose a customer. It's ridiculous!!!!

Advice to Management

Do not implement rules and expect us to conduct them when you will still give a customer a gift card for not following the rules. Treat your employee's better! Train your managers better or at least the assistant managers.

Giant Food Stores2017-10-14

"Okay I guess"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Quakertown, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I got lucky and work in a department where I have 40 hours despite being part time. I have the option of working overtime if I'd like. Insurance is pretty good for part timers if you work there 2 years and maintain 32+ hours.

Cons

Full time positions disappearing. Fluctuations in labor can make it difficult to keep things going smoothly.

Advice to Management

Keep labor consistent and provide incentive for employees to want to work there.

Giant Food Stores2017-09-27

"Absolutely horrible"

Former Employee - Checkout Coach in Huntingdon Valley, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only pro is the associates. I would not have been there that long if they weren't there. Insurance is ok

Cons

To many programs. They think it's all good for the customers like 4th in line. The company doesn't realize the stress level the employees are under. Cutting part time employees that have insurance down to 26 hours so no more insurance for them. Stay away!!!!! It's really sad when managers are leaving left and right. What happened to the motto when you treat your employees right they will treat the customers right.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right. All of the really good employees that would be moving up are moving out. Start caring more.

Giant Food Stores2017-09-18
  9. "Dairy Associate"

Current Employee - Dairy Associate in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Time moves very quickly. Departmental work and maintenance keep associates busy and moving throughout the duration of a shift. Teaches fundamental knowledge and responsibility of purchasing, inventory control, and warehousing.

Cons

Limited help in this department puts a lot of responsibility in the hands of the department manager. Part time help is crucial to maintain service and operating standards. Hours are not great and weekends are always stressful. "Closing" the department at the end of a night requires much attention to detail and knowledge of product movement.

Advice to Management

Financial structures and procedures that lead to future investment for this company usually leave labor short handed. Part time hours are cut without notice which I believe is counterintuitive in creating a higher quality experience for the customer. My advice would be to treat associates and labor as an investment, rather than an expense. Companies like Publix have created that value which lacks within this chain.

Giant Food Stores2017-06-26

"Not the worst place I have worked"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is every week and the associates I work with are friendly.

Cons

The on-boarding of new employees is nonexistent. When I first started I had no idea who was the store manager, the front end manager, etc. I was hired by someone I thought was my manager but it turned out she wasn't my manager. It took sometime until I figured out my manager. The schedule is unpredictable. I have no idea what my hours are from week to week. This is my part-time job and I have a full-time job. The work week runs Sunday-Saturday. The schedule is posted on Friday mornings for the next week. I'm unable to make any plans for the week until Friday morning, when the schedule is posted online [which doesn't always work, because the website goes down]. I have repeatedly told the manager that I do not want to work 8 hour shifts. He continues to place me on 8 hour shifts. This is the worst part of the job. I get one 15 min break and a 30 min. lunch break during those 8 hours. It is too much for one person to stand for that many hours virtually in one place. I'm usually numb from the waist down after 7 hours and since I'm not allowed to have any water, I get dehydrated and leg cramps. I have also made it clear that my availability during the week is only until 9pm but I'm scheduled until 10pm. Also, hours were cut at the beginning of the year so this is not a job if you need a lot of hours. Having to deal with some of the baggers is a real challenge--too slow, start to bag and then disappears, too discourteous to customers. The training when I started was nonexistent--had a high school girl help me for about one hour and then I was on my own. I still have problems doing certain procedures because I was never shown. The pay is terrible especially not enough money to put up with the negative, nasty customers. Working with high school kids is another problem. Some are reliable and hard workers but there are also those who want to have a good time and are rude to the customers.

Advice to Management

Take the time to know the associate's name. If you see someone new, introduce yourself. You're only a store manager, it's not like you are CEO of a Fortune 500 company. As for the CEO of Giant, I have no idea who you are so maybe you should get out to the various stores and see what is happening by directly talking to the associates--without the store managers kissing your butt. Listen to the associate when they request to work certain hours. If you want quality people, start paying a quality salary. Stop hiring immature high school kids.

Giant Food Stores2017-05-26