Gibson Brands Reviews in Nashville, TN | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Nashville Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Nashville, TN Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had (in 15 reviews)

• Great coworkers, great brand name (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap (in 9 reviews)

• Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure (in 5 reviews)

"American manufacturing company with rich heritage, yet progressive and forward thinking"

Former Employee - Dealer Product Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Dealer Product Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products, GIbson guitars are legendary. Pride in working for a company that still makes their products in the USA. Fairly hands off and supportive management if you're doing you're job well and producing results.

Cons

Expectations about the success and sell-in / sell through of new products are sometimes unrealistic. Very hard to get promoted internally, the advice I was given early on was "the best way to get promoted is to quit and come back 5 years later".

Advice to Management

Develop internal employees and promote them accordingly.

"I quit. I worked directly under Hitler aka Henry, and everyone at the company worked in fear rather than motivation."

Former Employee - I Worked In the Creative Department in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - I Worked In the Creative Department in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product. The coworkers are super friendly.

Cons

-Hitler
    -You can't request a meeting with Hitler in advance. Rather he schedules a meeting at your
      last minute's notice on HIS time.
    - Hitler degrades you in front of the company, because he can.
    - You are expected to write these stupid reports on a daily basis rather than concentrate on
       your job at hand.
    - He forces you to produce projects with your own equipment/money if your even lucky
      enough to have the resources within a ridiculous short notice deadline.
    - Everyone tip toes and avoids Hitler.

Advice to Management

Die already, so there can be another CEO.

"Not at all what I expected when I accepted the job offer; completely misled."

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The brand recognition is pretty awesome. Seeing/being around the guitars is a neat experience.

Cons

Horrible managed at every level, micromanaged to the point of insanity. To quote a former colleague "Gibson is successful in spite of itself". Awful place to work if you are looking to move forward with your career; the perfect place to work if you don't care about your future.

Advice to Management

Do your job.

"The best brand in guitars, but the worst company in America."

Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products are cool; not especially well-made but dripping with legacy and coolness.

Cons

Senior Management, there is only one...and it's Henry. Nothing happens without his knowledge and approval. Nothing. Ever. Government raids? Yup, for good reason. And the OSHA folks would love to surprise check the place for all of the safety violations. Workers are miserable...well, only 95% of them.

Advice to Management

Leave. Sell the company. ANYBODY else would do a better job. My dog would do a better job. Don't think the company is the size it is because of what you've done. If you weren't there, it would be TWICE as successful.

"Gibson Works You Until They Break You"

Current Employee - Abused Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Abused Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After forced overtime, usually 12+ hours a day 6 days a week, you can drag yourself to bed for a few hours of sleep so you can be the good little employee and get up to do it all again the next day. You get a pay check.

Cons

The word from management is that any "monkey" can do the work and if you don't like it there is someone else who needs a job. They don't appreciate the skill level required of their workers to make a quality product. But, then again, they say there is a warranty so if the product is not good, the customer can return it. The working conditions are horrible. Fumes, chemicals, heat, emergency exits blocked (but wait, they get a heads-up from the fire department prior to an inspection so they don't get caught), long hours, disrespect... you name it, they have done it. They will work you until they break you and you collapse and need medical attention. Then they figure out how to blow you off so they aren't liable. They do not care about their employees. If you go in, you may make it out on a stretcher unless you have sense enough to run first after you see how bad it is for yourself.

Advice to Management

Management does not want any advice. The dictator in charge doesn't want managers to do anything but carry out his orders no matter what the price on brand reputation, the lives of the employee or their families.

"Everyday Gibson Factory Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You eventually get to go home, after being forced to work overtime. You get a free meal every Christmas.

Cons

You are not treated as a human being and the managers want you to know you are dog crap. You will never move up, and you will never get a raise. You will know you mean nothing to Gibson or their managers other than a slave who should keep working till they collapse or need workers comp.

Advice to Management

Selling your soul to the Devil will have an eternity of interest.

"Lost in time!"

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The name is great for your resume; the product is truly good quality

Cons

No career opportunities, no bonuses, no raise (ever). No clear guidance, every day the course to be followed changes.

Advice to Management

This is not 1894!

"Private ownership can run a business the way it wants and it does."

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great brand name. Great product. Great people. Being a part of crafting fine instruments that are known worldwide is special.

Cons

Company strategy and goals are not communicated to lower levels. Private ownership is so hands-on that it prevents efficient operation. High turnover at corporate level. Pay raises and/or promotions are rare or non-existent.

Advice to Management

Set a vision, goals, and strategic direction and then allow the people you hire to use their creativity and to reach those goals.

"Working at Gibson requires a very special type of crazy"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Gibson for a very long time. It is my home and its employees are my family. It has the coolest culture of any place I have ever worked and employees many of the coolest, nicest, and knowledgeable luthiers and professionals I have ever worked with. The manufacturers are master craftsman (I was one as well) and command my utmost respect. However... see cons.

Cons

Gibson is the craziest, looniest, mind blowingly messed up place I have ever worked. The entire management structure is based around not doing anything to attract Henry's attention. So the most successful managers as far as longevity were those who did the least while still making the number. If a manager was outgoing, they made an immediate impact and was then fired within 6 months. Being hired on at Gibson is like being drafted into Vietnam. As soon as you step off the chopper, you are counting down the days until you either die (get fired) or complete your tour (quit). Management decisions are often the most peculiar imaginable. By directive of the CEO himself, GM's are often required to not pay any bills or purchase anything. Even wood for guitars! But you were still expected to make your number!!! Working in IT, Henry would decide on a whim crazy solutions to issues that didn't even exist. For instance, deciding that every computer in the company needs to have its IP address changed manually every two weeks. As an IT expert, I can assure that that accomplishes absolutely nothing!

Another problem at Gibson is inconsistent pay. If you are going to hire on, you had better get as much upfront as you possibly can, because you will never see a raise. Worse than this, many employees do jobs well above their pay grades, but if you try to ask for a raise, you are put off indefinitely (your raise is on Henry's desk) or counseled to be happy with what you have. Even worse than that, there are many instances of co-workers working side by side doing equal work but making very different pay. And by that I mean the difference between $30k and $100+k per year.

Overall, Gibson is a great place to work long enough to put on your resume and get a few guitars at a great discount, but it is NOT a place to make a career.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them right because their talent is the only thing keeping you afloat.

"Give and take away"

Former Employee - Peon in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Peon in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people (who live in fear)
    Great guitars
    A great learning experience

Cons

Talk about a place that could give 2 sh!ts less about all the accomplishments made by staff and offer raises only to take them away and blame the CEO for it. Overworked and live in fear on a daily basis as you see people scapegoated and point fingers instead of taking responsibility. (Fortunate enough to leave on my own..)

Advice to Management

Get a spine and tell the CEO what you really think. I know the economy is tough but you need to make gut checks and find out what is more important: your integrity or your blood stained paycheck...