Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Reviews

Updated July 30, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great brand wonderful people to work with, not a lot of pressure do your work and go home" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap" (in 9 reviews)

• "Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Curent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand wonderful people to work with, not a lot of pressure do your work and go home .good insurance , Good HR department seems to care about employees almost always get our number...

Cons

Upper management sometimes I question there sanity, it’s hard to work with incompetence but we get by anyway. Think about matching 401k would be a great point to hire new people ....

Advice to Management

You are headed in the right direction, chapter 11 , will make the company stronger , Finely getting rid of some upper management is a great thing do that , this will be a 5 star company again...,

2. "Good People, management not the best"

Former Employee - Builder/Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Builder/Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for people passionate about music/instruments, likeminded coworkers, overtime opportunities

Cons

Mid-Management seemed disconnected from their bosses and their employees, sometimes there are extended periods of time where you must work VERY long days, infrequent pay raises (if any at all)

"Will there now be an end to a company run on fear, intimidation and paranoia and a new beginning?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked in a senior position at Gibson for over ten years reporting generally directly to CEO Henry J and only Henry and sometimes traveled overseas alone with him so I have perhaps more insight on the man than most.
    I looked up to him as a mentor and he gave me so such freedom to achieve particular results for him but his legendary micro management was stifling and his cruel and bullying behavior towards his staff became untenable, basically you better learn on your first day that you work for him not Gibson Brands.
    The current bankruptcy situation does not surprise me because back in 2000 I was in meetings where the precarious financial situation was a grave cause for concern but no one would dare speak up against Henry as he continued his acquisition of small failing brands and the opening of a new factory in Memphis, I'm afraid Gibson Brands were never going to be the next Proctor and Gamble.
    Basically, if you have survived more than a year with the company it's great on your resume and you deserve a medal.

Cons

I just finished reading an interview with Henry J regarding the company going bankrupt and of course he takes no responsibility whatsoever for the company going down, it's everyone else's fault and that is how he has run the company for the last 30 year like his own little fiefdom, the only positive thing is the iconic brand, the guitars and some wonderful people I worked with, alas for me Henry stood by after so many years of loyal service and allowed me to be lied, cheated and bullied out of the job I loved, so he went from hero to zero for me.

Advice to Management

Any rescue package must involve Henry being removed as the CEO, paid off and dispatched with or he will continue to reign like a failed dictator and the humiliation he must feel right now will make him even nastier towards his employees, Gibson is like a an apple shiny on the outside but rotten to the core.
    The CEO is dead, long live the CEO.

4. "Honestly..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, you can make anywhere from $12-18/hr. If you like overtime, we've got it. The insurance is good. $50 attendance bonuses monthly. Option to sell vacation days at time and a half. Promotion from within. It is NOT a sinking ship, chapter 11 bankruptcy protects the profitable guitar making part of the company. Gibson NEEDS more people.

Cons

We used to get yearly performance based raises..good ones. We got year end bonuses too. In recent years, they have been meager to non-existent.

The job can be hard at times, with long hours. Management is overworked with multiple departments under them...this is unfair for both the supervisor and employees.

Upper management has recently started forcing departments to move to first shift, losing their differential, and have to restructure their lives. They are also trying to implement one piece flow, which is causing more repetitive motion injuries because there's less range of motion and each person handles many more guitars. And they have yet to accept that it's not more efficient in most departments.

Advice to Management

Hire or promote more supervisors so the few good ones we have don't burn out. Bring back performance raises and bonuses to keep your employees motivated. Stop forcing people to go to first shift. When the production number goes up, and you have to hire more people, you'll just have to move them right back...we've been through this before.

Make a system of accountability and reward. If a person goes over a certain number of rejects, retrain them. If they do it again, write ups follow. If they exceed a certain pass rate, reward them with bonus, or an extra vacation day. Hold QC's accountable to this system as well. If you have bad QC's, you have bad product.

If you give your employees incentive to come to work and do a great job, many of them will. If you hold poor employees accountable, they will either become better, or you will have the chance to prune the dead weight. With accountability and reward, you will have a better product, and a more efficient workforce.

5. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounting in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Accounting in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discounts on merchandise and periodic drawings

Cons

Dated structure, no opportunities for advancement. Terrible PTO and accrual system.
    At least 1 or 2 people in every department are reporting your every move to management. Overall toxic culture.

Advice to Management

Get with the PROGRAM. It's not 1975 America.
    Make certain your heads of department are treating employees with the dignity and respect they deserve. Ask for employee input. Reward your productive employees instead of treating them as if they are disposable.

6. "Run, don't just walk away from any job at this company. You've been warned."

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cool product and good people building guitars

Cons

CEO has killed this company over the last few years with poor business decisions and inability to retain talent. Micromanagement, fear of decision making, all due to management style from the top, have led to poor performance. Unless this is your only option don't think you will change the culture. Anyone above the supervisor level are disposable and during the time I worked there we had on average 1 rotation per year as plant and/or general managers were fired or quit.

Advice to Management

Get rid of CEO, move into the 21st century

7. "Entertainment Relations"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Iconic Brand, Amazing International Team

Cons

Heavy internal reporting, micro management

"Bad place with no raises"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Everything.... They lie and overwork you for little money

Advice to Management

Pay adjustment asap

"Great brand needs to restructure"

I have been working at Gibson Brands part-time

Pros

Team members, knowledge in company, history Philips

Cons

Business management, lack of strategy and sharing future plans, bad Fin. Situation, lack of trust

Advice to Management

Restructure the company and involve people, create trust

"This ship Is sinking fast"

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great product and great brand

Cons

CEO will not admit that he is killing the company. Critical talent is leaving or being downsized. Executives only last a short time and then either run or are fired for unknown reasons.

Advice to Management

CEO should step out and let someone try and save the company.