Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Reviews

Updated November 20, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people to work with,Everybody was given a Guitar for Christmas, employee of the month gets a guitar good insurance a great place to work" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great coworkers, great brand name" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap" (in 9 reviews)

• "Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure" (in 5 reviews)

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are: great medical benefits, great hours, fair pay, employee discounts for legendary guitars, great friendships built with people who are passionate about the same things you are and room for advancement for those who are willing to work for it!

Cons

No 401k match (but I heard they are working to change this in the future !)

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team, it's working!

2. "Beileve the poor ratings"

Former Employee - Neckfitter in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Neckfitter in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros. You get paid every Friday. You get a free guitar if you can last a year there.

Cons

Leadership is horrible. It's not there. I see why this company went bankrupt. A lot of the people that work there have been there for a really long time and just go with the lack of leadership and just keep doing the same ineffective practices. My training was very minimal and then was getting reprimanded on quality issues that I had caused. They are only worried about pushing out as many guitars everyday as possible. The final number at the end of the day is the only number that matters to them. You will be forced to work overtime which sometimes is great, but when it affects your quality of life, it starts to wear you out.

Advice to Management

Train your new hires better. Be more transparent with the day to day to the employees that aren't in the loop all day. Take time to have team meetings and trainings to improve, like most companies.

3. "Fun Times"

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

Town Hall Meetings
    When Gm department runs town hall we get Bullied , talk down to , it’s hard enough to be in A male dominated factory , but if gm dept can use the f word and in one town hall and another town hall use terms like white trash . That makes me think I’m in the wrong place . What happen to the Me Too ..,,movement for the work place..

Advice to Management

No contact with Gm department

4. "A Job at Gibson is a Death Sentence"

Former Employee - Builder in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Builder in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance. United Healthcare premium was excellent insurance.

Cons

Doing the same monotonous task for 8 or more hours. No chance to move up or around, no change to improve your career or income.
    Wages froze.
    You walk into the building each day wondering if you’ll be escorted out due a lay-off (because of soft-sales or missed earnings expectations).
    At my time there, they brought in a great General Manager. This guy cared, he got us a raise, he made other managers do their jobs. After 4-6 months he was fired. Some speculated he was taken down in a conspiracy of the managers who disliked him.
    A nightmare place to work.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and do your jobs, and be professionals. Don’t sit at your desks chatting snd plucking guitar all day. And Henry Juskiewitz, get lost!

5. "Great local culture, horrible corporate culture."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The local culture at the subsidiary I worked at was quite good. Most of the pressures came from the fact that Gibson wasn't doing well, and eventually fell into bankruptcy.

Cons

I have 30+ years in software engineering at a handful of different companies and Gibson had, by far, the worst corporate culture. It wasn't for lack of effort by some really great people...it was simply that Henry micro-managed everything. I no longer work there, but I hope things will turn around for Gibson with Henry (hopefully) out of the picture post-bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

Hopefully now that Gibson is working its way through bankruptcy, things will change with upper management.

"Maintenenace tech"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made the best product in the world

Cons

Lots of politics in all phases of management with no real idea of ehat they wanted and how they hoped to achieve the goal. Owner micromanaged the site and used profits as a cash cow. I sincerely believe this is the biggest obstacle to growth and why they lapsed into bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

With the present owner there is no hope of building a future profitable company.

"Advice"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great brands and great products.

Cons

There was only one con and his name was Henry Juszkiewicz.

Advice to Management

New Management - Your number one focus needs to be on eradicating the culture Henry created.
    Journalists - If you really want to find out why this company went bankrupt you should interview former employees, not Henry.

8. "Good People, management not the best"

Former Employee - Builder/Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Builder/Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for people passionate about music/instruments, likeminded coworkers, overtime opportunities

Cons

Mid-Management seemed disconnected from their bosses and their employees, sometimes there are extended periods of time where you must work VERY long days, infrequent pay raises (if any at all)

"Will there now be an end to a company run on fear, intimidation and paranoia and a new beginning?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked in a senior position at Gibson for over ten years reporting generally directly to CEO Henry J and only Henry and sometimes traveled overseas alone with him so I have perhaps more insight on the man than most.
    I looked up to him as a mentor and he gave me so such freedom to achieve particular results for him but his legendary micro management was stifling and his cruel and bullying behavior towards his staff became untenable, basically you better learn on your first day that you work for him not Gibson Brands.
    The current bankruptcy situation does not surprise me because back in 2000 I was in meetings where the precarious financial situation was a grave cause for concern but no one would dare speak up against Henry as he continued his acquisition of small failing brands and the opening of a new factory in Memphis, I'm afraid Gibson Brands were never going to be the next Proctor and Gamble.
    Basically, if you have survived more than a year with the company it's great on your resume and you deserve a medal.

Cons

I just finished reading an interview with Henry J regarding the company going bankrupt and of course he takes no responsibility whatsoever for the company going down, it's everyone else's fault and that is how he has run the company for the last 30 year like his own little fiefdom, the only positive thing is the iconic brand, the guitars and some wonderful people I worked with, alas for me Henry stood by after so many years of loyal service and allowed me to be lied, cheated and bullied out of the job I loved, so he went from hero to zero for me.

Advice to Management

Any rescue package must involve Henry being removed as the CEO, paid off and dispatched with or he will continue to reign like a failed dictator and the humiliation he must feel right now will make him even nastier towards his employees, Gibson is like a an apple shiny on the outside but rotten to the core.
    The CEO is dead, long live the CEO.

"Honestly..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, you can make anywhere from $12-18/hr. If you like overtime, we've got it. The insurance is good. $50 attendance bonuses monthly. Option to sell vacation days at time and a half. Promotion from within. It is NOT a sinking ship, chapter 11 bankruptcy protects the profitable guitar making part of the company. Gibson NEEDS more people.

Cons

We used to get yearly performance based raises..good ones. We got year end bonuses too. In recent years, they have been meager to non-existent.

The job can be hard at times, with long hours. Management is overworked with multiple departments under them...this is unfair for both the supervisor and employees.

Upper management has recently started forcing departments to move to first shift, losing their differential, and have to restructure their lives. They are also trying to implement one piece flow, which is causing more repetitive motion injuries because there's less range of motion and each person handles many more guitars. And they have yet to accept that it's not more efficient in most departments.

Advice to Management

Hire or promote more supervisors so the few good ones we have don't burn out. Bring back performance raises and bonuses to keep your employees motivated. Stop forcing people to go to first shift. When the production number goes up, and you have to hire more people, you'll just have to move them right back...we've been through this before.

Make a system of accountability and reward. If a person goes over a certain number of rejects, retrain them. If they do it again, write ups follow. If they exceed a certain pass rate, reward them with bonus, or an extra vacation day. Hold QC's accountable to this system as well. If you have bad QC's, you have bad product.

If you give your employees incentive to come to work and do a great job, many of them will. If you hold poor employees accountable, they will either become better, or you will have the chance to prune the dead weight. With accountability and reward, you will have a better product, and a more efficient workforce.