Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Reviews

Updated May 24, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great brand wonderful people to work with, not a lot of pressure do your work and go home (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap (in 9 reviews)

• Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure (in 5 reviews)

1. "Curent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand wonderful people to work with, not a lot of pressure do your work and go home .good insurance , Good HR department seems to care about employees almost always get our number...

Cons

Upper management sometimes I question there sanity, it’s hard to work with incompetence but we get by anyway. Think about matching 401k would be a great point to hire new people ....

Advice to Management

You are headed in the right direction, chapter 11 , will make the company stronger , Finely getting rid of some upper management is a great thing do that , this will be a 5 star company again...,

2. "Honestly..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, you can make anywhere from $12-18/hr. If you like overtime, we've got it. The insurance is good. $50 attendance bonuses monthly. Option to sell vacation days at time and a half. Promotion from within. It is NOT a sinking ship, chapter 11 bankruptcy protects the profitable guitar making part of the company. Gibson NEEDS more people.

Cons

We used to get yearly performance based raises..good ones. We got year end bonuses too. In recent years, they have been meager to non-existent.

The job can be hard at times, with long hours. Management is overworked with multiple departments under them...this is unfair for both the supervisor and employees.

Upper management has recently started forcing departments to move to first shift, losing their differential, and have to restructure their lives. They are also trying to implement one piece flow, which is causing more repetitive motion injuries because there's less range of motion and each person handles many more guitars. And they have yet to accept that it's not more efficient in most departments.

Advice to Management

Hire or promote more supervisors so the few good ones we have don't burn out. Bring back performance raises and bonuses to keep your employees motivated. Stop forcing people to go to first shift. When the production number goes up, and you have to hire more people, you'll just have to move them right back...we've been through this before.

Make a system of accountability and reward. If a person goes over a certain number of rejects, retrain them. If they do it again, write ups follow. If they exceed a certain pass rate, reward them with bonus, or an extra vacation day. Hold QC's accountable to this system as well. If you have bad QC's, you have bad product.

If you give your employees incentive to come to work and do a great job, many of them will. If you hold poor employees accountable, they will either become better, or you will have the chance to prune the dead weight. With accountability and reward, you will have a better product, and a more efficient workforce.

3. "Entertainment Relations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Iconic Brand, Amazing International Team

Cons

Heavy internal reporting, micro management

"Bad place with no raises"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Everything.... They lie and overwork you for little money

Advice to Management

Pay adjustment asap

"Great brand needs to restructure"

I have been working at Gibson Brands part-time

Pros

Team members, knowledge in company, history Philips

Cons

Business management, lack of strategy and sharing future plans, bad Fin. Situation, lack of trust

Advice to Management

Restructure the company and involve people, create trust

"This ship Is sinking fast"

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great product and great brand

Cons

CEO will not admit that he is killing the company. Critical talent is leaving or being downsized. Executives only last a short time and then either run or are fired for unknown reasons.

Advice to Management

CEO should step out and let someone try and save the company.

"Sinking Ship-You don't want to be there when they go bankrupt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It has the potential to be a great company if they focused on guitars again and replaced the CEO, got out of debt, and started treating workers like an asset and not a burden.

Cons

Read the news. It's going under. The CEO is running out of options fast, and they are cutting costs and treating workers horribly. You can't live on the pay, especially in Bozeman, Montana. There are better, well run, professional places to work and grow. This place is not worth your time. Maybe give it a try after the CEO is long gone and some local managers are replaced.

Advice to Management

The best advice to Henry is cut and run. You did your job and brought the brand back. It's time to go and let someone else bring the company into the future.

"Great Legacy Buried By Micromanaging"

Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, mostly cool products, huge history in an instantly recognizable brand, fairly decent pay for the amount of work, PTO.

Cons

Management isn't trustworthy on almost all levels above the general employees, too much ground given to favorites who have been with the company a long time but don't work hard, too much emphasis on quantity instead of quality of product, misplaced priorities that hurt both workers and customers/dealers.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to push out as many guitars as possible, consider your dropping standard of quality in the public's eye -- guitar players are picky people, but they critique companies for a reason, especially the ones that they care about. Put more emphasis on GOOD work and rewarding your employees for doing a good job, not just rewarding those who simply "show up" every day.

"Assistant to CEO"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Nice brand and good co-workers

Cons

CEO was nuts; people in corporate let go every 89 days to avoid paying benefits

Advice to Management

won't listen anyway. people only come to work because they love guitars, keep exploiting them.

"Miserable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees are in the same boat, although it's sinking fast. There are some genuinely nice people who work for hourly wages.

Cons

Newest policy: NO MUSIC. We make guitars, people. No cell phones. I don't have a problem with keeping my cell phone put away during work....but, and this is a big one....we were told that in case of emergencies family members could call Gibson. That is a total joke. I've never been given a number to reach Gibson. I've asked and gotten the runaround. I've tried calling. "This is Epiphone, we've moved" if you know your parties extension dial now. Yeah, like they give those out. HR goes home, or doesn't feel like answering the phone, or their system is down. It's always something stupid. We're promised a raise last April for September. That's not happening. The aura of misery that hangs over this place is enough to taint any music made by anyone stupid enough to buy an expensive wall ornament because no matter how hard we try, or how much we care all Gibson is interested in is sales.

Advice to Management

Try listening to your employees. They KNOW what's going on...unlike the self-serving supervisors. You want quality product? You're not getting it when we're constantly told to "send" it.