Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Reviews

Updated November 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had (in 15 reviews)

• Great coworkers, great brand name (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap (in 9 reviews)

• Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure (in 5 reviews)

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are: great medical benefits, great hours, fair pay, employee discounts for legendary guitars, great friendships built with people who are passionate about the same things you are and room for advancement for those who are willing to work for it!

Cons

No 401k match (but I heard they are working to change this in the future !)

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team, it's working!

"Great Legacy Buried By Micromanaging"

Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, mostly cool products, huge history in an instantly recognizable brand, fairly decent pay for the amount of work, PTO.

Cons

Management isn't trustworthy on almost all levels above the general employees, too much ground given to favorites who have been with the company a long time but don't work hard, too much emphasis on quantity instead of quality of product, misplaced priorities that hurt both workers and customers/dealers.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to push out as many guitars as possible, consider your dropping standard of quality in the public's eye -- guitar players are picky people, but they critique companies for a reason, especially the ones that they care about. Put more emphasis on GOOD work and rewarding your employees for doing a good job, not just rewarding those who simply "show up" every day.

"Assistant to CEO"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Nice brand and good co-workers

Cons

CEO was nuts; people in corporate let go every 89 days to avoid paying benefits

Advice to Management

won't listen anyway. people only come to work because they love guitars, keep exploiting them.

"Heard Company is going broke"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

The people there enjoy what they do and do it well. Nothing new is happening in terms of technology or equipment or processes.

Cons

management in my department did not communicate and did not make clear of what they were expecting out of me or my work.

Advice to Management

Make sure to communicate clearly so nothing is left to interpretation or can be filled in with rumors. Periodically give insight on what is happening around the company and the changes that are happening

"Amazing products, Terrible senior management and owner"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing and the people who build them are world class.

Cons

Senior management is ever changing and not for the better while the owner breeds a culture of paranoia and constantly random firing of good people.

"Worst mistake of my life working here!"

Pros

No pros at all. I actually love what I do for a living BUT hate doing it for a company that treats us like crap! Everyday you are threatened to losing your job and hell there ain't any incentives to work here! We went 5 years to finally getting a 25 cent raise... a 25 cent raise!! Come on!! Wow!

Cons

All I can say is don't waste your time working here. No raises..no bonuses..no reason to work hard here! They have supervisors that have no clue what they're doing at all and will treat you like a piece of dirt!

Advice to Management

I have no respect for any supervisor here to give them advice! This place is a waste of time!

"Read the financials"

Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I personally had a boss that allowed me to do good work and was supportive and encouraging. We had great success under him. Per the current course, they are no longer with the company.

Cons

There is a lot negativity surrounding the CEO and his style of management, but I personally never experienced any of that. What was concerning is a trimming down of resources and talent under the burden of huge looming debt. I would advise any prospective employee to review the details of the current Moody's rating and understand the current decline of the electric guitar market before considering taking a job as it is likely won't be for very long.

Advice to Management

Fix 10/1 debt/EBITDA by July 2018

"The worst company in America?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you make it to the top, you'll be a part of a bonus structure that the rest of the company doesn't know about.

Cons

If you don't make it to the top, you'll be awarded with zero raises, no 401K match, constant fear and intimidation that stems from the owner, and so much bureaucracy that you'll beg to be killed. Nepotism is very real at this company. And the two children involved are not qualified. Your middle management will change monthly, because the few skilled people that Gibson acquires...all quit or will be fired. The owners do not allow their managers to help grow the company. I've never seen a company that is so top heavy, regarding decision making, etc... Horrible, horrible experience. Please don't waste your life working for these horrible, horrible people.

Advice to Management

Leave. Get out. You're not helping.

"FAKE REVIEWS IN ABUNDANCE HERE..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, if you can get 40 hours. Last year, 55+ hours/week - when I quit, 32 hours/week because that's what "management " decided was best course of action to save money. The people are the only good thing about this company, because even the product has become USA built, Asian parts crap...

Cons

Everything is wrong with this company and it all stems from management/ownership. There is so much negative to say that I would cramp my hands typing it. This company is NOT on the rise, it's NOT heading in a positive direction, there are ZERO advancement opportunities and the benefits they boast of are a joke. This company is a sinking ship...

Advice to Management

Close the doors or sell and stop jerking good people around...

"Great Opportunity! Great Brand!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gibson is in a great place right now which makes working there all the better. There is a lot of growth and changes on the horizon; therefore, there lies more opportunity for me in my role. I love change and I call myself a "change agent" so its a great time to be at Gibson!!

Cons

With change there comes growing pains, but HR and leadership is working very closely to stay on top of change management and other issues.