Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Gibson Brands Reviews

Updated February 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had (in 15 reviews)

• Great coworkers, great brand name (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap (in 9 reviews)

• Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure (in 5 reviews)

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are: great medical benefits, great hours, fair pay, employee discounts for legendary guitars, great friendships built with people who are passionate about the same things you are and room for advancement for those who are willing to work for it!

Cons

No 401k match (but I heard they are working to change this in the future !)

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team, it's working!

2. "This ship Is sinking fast"

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great product and great brand

Cons

CEO will not admit that he is killing the company. Critical talent is leaving or being downsized. Executives only last a short time and then either run or are fired for unknown reasons.

Advice to Management

CEO should step out and let someone try and save the company.

3. "Sinking Ship-You don't want to be there when they go bankrupt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It has the potential to be a great company if they focused on guitars again and replaced the CEO, got out of debt, and started treating workers like an asset and not a burden.

Cons

Read the news. It's going under. The CEO is running out of options fast, and they are cutting costs and treating workers horribly. You can't live on the pay, especially in Bozeman, Montana. There are better, well run, professional places to work and grow. This place is not worth your time. Maybe give it a try after the CEO is long gone and some local managers are replaced.

Advice to Management

The best advice to Henry is cut and run. You did your job and brought the brand back. It's time to go and let someone else bring the company into the future.

"Great Legacy Buried By Micromanaging"

Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Craftsman in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, mostly cool products, huge history in an instantly recognizable brand, fairly decent pay for the amount of work, PTO.

Cons

Management isn't trustworthy on almost all levels above the general employees, too much ground given to favorites who have been with the company a long time but don't work hard, too much emphasis on quantity instead of quality of product, misplaced priorities that hurt both workers and customers/dealers.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to push out as many guitars as possible, consider your dropping standard of quality in the public's eye -- guitar players are picky people, but they critique companies for a reason, especially the ones that they care about. Put more emphasis on GOOD work and rewarding your employees for doing a good job, not just rewarding those who simply "show up" every day.

"Assistant to CEO"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Nice brand and good co-workers

Cons

CEO was nuts; people in corporate let go every 89 days to avoid paying benefits

Advice to Management

won't listen anyway. people only come to work because they love guitars, keep exploiting them.

"Heard Company is going broke"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

The people there enjoy what they do and do it well. Nothing new is happening in terms of technology or equipment or processes.

Cons

management in my department did not communicate and did not make clear of what they were expecting out of me or my work.

Advice to Management

Make sure to communicate clearly so nothing is left to interpretation or can be filled in with rumors. Periodically give insight on what is happening around the company and the changes that are happening

"Amazing products, Terrible senior management and owner"

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing and the people who build them are world class.

Cons

Senior management is ever changing and not for the better while the owner breeds a culture of paranoia and constantly random firing of good people.

"Worst mistake of my life working here!"

Pros

No pros at all. I actually love what I do for a living BUT hate doing it for a company that treats us like crap! Everyday you are threatened to losing your job and hell there ain't any incentives to work here! We went 5 years to finally getting a 25 cent raise... a 25 cent raise!! Come on!! Wow!

Cons

All I can say is don't waste your time working here. No raises..no bonuses..no reason to work hard here! They have supervisors that have no clue what they're doing at all and will treat you like a piece of dirt!

Advice to Management

I have no respect for any supervisor here to give them advice! This place is a waste of time!

"Read the financials"

Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I personally had a boss that allowed me to do good work and was supportive and encouraging. We had great success under him. Per the current course, they are no longer with the company.

Cons

There is a lot negativity surrounding the CEO and his style of management, but I personally never experienced any of that. What was concerning is a trimming down of resources and talent under the burden of huge looming debt. I would advise any prospective employee to review the details of the current Moody's rating and understand the current decline of the electric guitar market before considering taking a job as it is likely won't be for very long.

Advice to Management

Fix 10/1 debt/EBITDA by July 2018

"The worst company in America?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you make it to the top, you'll be a part of a bonus structure that the rest of the company doesn't know about.

Cons

If you don't make it to the top, you'll be awarded with zero raises, no 401K match, constant fear and intimidation that stems from the owner, and so much bureaucracy that you'll beg to be killed. Nepotism is very real at this company. And the two children involved are not qualified. Your middle management will change monthly, because the few skilled people that Gibson acquires...all quit or will be fired. The owners do not allow their managers to help grow the company. I've never seen a company that is so top heavy, regarding decision making, etc... Horrible, horrible experience. Please don't waste your life working for these horrible, horrible people.

Advice to Management

Leave. Get out. You're not helping.