Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gibson Brands Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great people, love the environment is the best job I ever had (in 14 reviews)

• Great Product, Great People, good visions for the future, manageable and non-stressful work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Although in the interview they tell you there is no salary cap the truth is there is no raises so no need for a cap (in 8 reviews)

• For some folks, the only reward for your hard work is more (in 5 reviews)

"Sr Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At professional level is laid back

Cons

Do not receive raises or 401K matching

"HORROR SHOW - All You've Heard is True...and THEN some..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Once Made Cool Guitars in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Cons

Where to start...Gibson Guitars is a remarkably unpopular company. I would rate it as a -1000 infinity, but they don't offer that option. This company is not managed: its run on pure fear, intimidation, and Kick 'Em All Around. GOOD people come, but the door doesn't hit them in the rear as they run for their lives shortly thereafter. Dictatorial and bizarre Corporate Management is mean spirited, spiteful and just plain HORRID as standard operating procedure. This isn't even X Management practice - that's too kind a theory to describe Gibson. Departments run by attrition, not those educated or graced with management acumen. Cheapness and denial beyond comprehension. plastic circuit boards in a new Les Paul - and btw, you cant change out the pickups because parts to do so aren't available, Any salesperson in a store carrying Gibson can show and tell the same thing.
    If you think you're 'different' and can make a difference, or just want to see for yourself and/or must take a job here, even short-term, be VERY happy with your starting salary, because that's what you will forever earn for the duration of your sentence, which is to say, the time you spend here.
    So how does Gibson get away with all of this? Simple: there are ALWAYS people in or coming to the area who need a job, and are star struck by the Gibson name. The company is a total revolving door of bad decision making, quivering and fearful employees, slave-like working conditions and disrespect, a myriad of higher level incompetence, supreme micromanagement, fearful HR reps who wouldn't dare back an employee, and ever-changing rules and practices - but NOT in a progressive way. There is no work/life balance. Its hard work and then just more hard work every day you waste away here. Its baffling. Friends don't let Friends work here. Overall, this company is just a FRAIL GRASP on the big picture. Dark Ages.

Advice to Management

No need to give advice; it falls on completely deaf ears.

"Not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its cool to work with guitars all day. Coworkers are pretty laid back and fun to work with.

Cons

Human resources doesn't really care about the employees. Definitely no raises. You will get hurt or sick from repetitive motion or breathing wood dust all day.

Advice to Management

Management should listen to their employees more often. Buy newer machines. Replace human resources.

"Solid job with advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time

Pros

Great benefits, excellent Paid time off. Local management really cares about the employees. Good employees are afforded opportunities and it's great to be part of an iconic brand.

Cons

Yearly reviews with performance raises are a rarity. Although local management cares about their employees, it seems like corporate management could care less. For some folks, the only reward for your hard work is more hard work and longer hours.

Advice to Management

Corporate management should care more about the longevity of their employees. Show your appreciation more often and don't be CHEAP about it. After all, without people to craft and build, YOU HAVE NOTHING!

"A one man show of fear, paranoia and intimidation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Gibson for over 10 years in a senior role sometimes reporting directly to CEO Henry J. and on more than one occasion travelled abroad alone with him which a lot of workers there couldn't believe I would survive but on his own when he let his guard down he was OK.
     I learnt a terrific amount about holding down a corporate job successfully and I was allowed a great deal of freedom in creating specialist strategic marketing projects but then as with most loyal Gibson employees it turned bad for me....

Cons

I had to laugh when I saw a comment 'the first day of work at Gibson you learn to fear Henry J.' which is exactly the advice given to me! His bad tempered nastiness towards people was awful and would never be allowed at most proper companies, his micro management of almost everything down to a pencil needing his sign off was ridiculous and so many deadlines would be missed because of it or cancelled.
    Their was an air of fear and menace all the time and paranoia was encouraged just incase you started to enjoy yourself at work. One day I was told I had yet again a new manager to report to who was a bully who simply didn't like me and proceeded to ruin 10 years of my good name and reputation by lie after lie in his false reports regarding my performance and physically assaulted me as well, HR did nothing and neither did Henry J.who stood by and allowed it to happen. I left the company incredibly hurt and devastated. When Henry tires of someone I would see him do this to push people out convincing himself they were bad employees.
    I moved on into the automotive industry and quickly realised that not every corporation was going to be like Gibson, in fact no company could ever be like the one man show Gibson has always been and will be until Henry has gone.

Advice to Management

No job is worth it if you are being bullied and attacked, they need to think more about the welfare of their employees.Henry will never change so God help anyone who works directly for him, taking him on will simply lose you your job.

"RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people to work with, only problem, they don't stay! They either get fired, for no reason, or find another job as soon as they can.

Cons

TOO MANY TO NAME!!! CEO is out of his flipping mind and hires the nastiest people there are for the top jobs. I have seen people get fired for absolutely NO reason over and over again.

Advice to Management

Why bother, as people have said, they won't listen.

"Ops manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced work place with advancement opportunity if you are thick skinned and can take criticism

Cons

Long hours without much family life time. Company needs and goals are.always the first priority.

Advice to Management

Less turnover

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some amazing people that really make it a fun place to be.

Cons

Executive management is a joke

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they are idiots. Your business method is not the only method. You hire intelligent people only to turn them into your puppets.

"run away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

hourly people were good people to work with with a few bad apples

Cons

I quit without a job to go to because the environment and management were so physically and emotionally devastating... I would go live under a bridge before going back there

Advice to Management

quit so they could replace you with more capable trained monkeys...no insult to monkeys implied

"A great way to lose your health."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Gibson Brands (More than a year)

Pros

The overtime pay is great, and there is no shortage of hours. Health coverage, Short and Long-term disability coverage are great as well.

Cons

I really don't know where to begin. The safety concerns are overwhelming. Sure, they provide dust masks and LOTS of pain pills for positions that involve repetitive motion, but these are mere "band-aids" to address the real problem of poor health as a result of dust and chemical exposure as well as repetitive motion combined with very long hours. Many people who are hired either quit after a few days of experiencing work here, or hang on thinking they'll be promoted or things will improve, but they don't. The constant bickering, backstabbing, backbiting, and profanity are about as unprofessional as one would expect.

Advice to Management

What advice is there to give to a management that has no say in anything because of the arcane business model that Henry clings to? I think Gibson's investors need to ultimately take a vote and replace the current CEO/President with the COO.