Gibson Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Highly Recommend Gibson"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gibson Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Flat Organization, Opportunity to improve skills and move up through organization. Great job for those that like to travel and do not want a 9-5 job.

Cons

Occasionally nonrealistic deadlines and extended periods of long hours.

Feb 7, 2017 – Staff Consultant

We appreciate your open and candid feedback to Gibson Consulting's Culture. We are happy to have you as part of our team and hope to always find ways to improve our business and teams.

"Great place to learn / not to stay"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gibson Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility as a first job. Very likeable people with a unique culture. If you like traveling, this is a good job for you as you will have ample opportunity.

Cons

Management team is loosely connected which can become confusing for employees. Learning tapers off once you learn the ropes. Travel can get overbearing.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on selling and training. Be more wise with money and resources and do not rely on just a few projects to keep the business afloat.

Feb 7, 2017 – Staff Consultant

We are sorry to hear that your time with Gibson was average. We are constantly working to improve our firm and we value your comments to great not only a better culture, but a successful business... More

"Worked as a Consultant on Strategic Sourcing initiatives"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gibson Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, good exposure to client leadership, excellent training materials and workshops, flexible budget and willingness to support external development

Cons

questionable leadership on certain engagements, high turnover, uncertainty in job stability, very reliant on business with very few clients

Advice to Management

Overall Gibson was a good learning experience but it lacked of direction with assigned tasks but employees were dependent on future business with low confidence. The office culture was a bit isolated, travel was heavy and often unnecessary. There wasn't much of a feel of belonging - no established personal space - ie. no one has a desk, just a laptop and group spaces in a small office overcrowded office

Feb 7, 2017 – Staff Consultant

We are sorry to hear of your negative outlook of Gibson Consulting. We work hard to try and provide employees with ample training and provide a stable environment to grow a career. We take your... More

4. "Great Company to start a career"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gibson Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of experience for a professional looking to start a career in consulting. The CEO and upper management was incredibly approachable and genuinely cares about individuals and their growth.

Personally Gibson Consulting has opened tons of doors i would have never expected due to their commitment to training, exposure to executive level meetings and the ability take on roles beyond your title.

Cons

Long work hours are expected but the mentality "work hard, play hard" makes it work it.

Advice to Management

I would like to have more time to spend with upper management to discuss other opportunities across teams.

5. "Overall Gibson has been a very positive experience and provided me with excellent growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gibson Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gibson offers high levels of autonomy and a great deal of executive level exposure. Top perfomers have the chance to stand out immediately and are rewarded for doing so.

Cons

Gibson lacks many of the resources of a larger firm, and you develop yourself. When projects begin they often are understaffed and can lead to a very hectic work environment.

"Lots of experience but had no outside life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of responsibility at an early point.

Cons

No real work / life balance.

Advice to Management

Not everyone wants to work all the time

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Travel is nice, especially opportunity for international travel. Most of the employees are young and are a fun group for the most part

Cons

Terrible culture. Most people are especially negative and come off as arrogant and condescending. Management and peers will give you generic praise (e.g. "Good job this week") and then complain behind your back to others. The overall culture of the firm is to find things to be overly critical. Terrible job security as they currently only have 1 client and many projects are ending in a few months.

Advice to Management

Have a more open culture, one that promotes both positive and negative feedback instead of just negative feedback. Work harder to provide a better work life balance. Find more clients and diversify your service lines.

8. "Positive - You make it what you want it to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The best reasons are for the international travel, autonomy to make decisions within a project, ability to influence and engage senior client level management.

Cons

Limited resource bench puts significant strain on the capable leadership and project teams. This presents an interesting opportunity to manage client engagements and ensure the people on the teams don't get burned out.

Advice to Management

Hire more outside senior leadership.

9. "Great Opportunity to launch my career"

I worked at Gibson Consulting full-time

Pros

Between traveling the world, attending training, teaching training, and working hand in hand with executive clients Gibson is great opportunity to learn, grow and launch a career in consulting.

Cons

Travel and hours can become hard.

Advice to Management

Transparency to the staff is helpful. Continue coaching the junior staff.

10. "Could be better"

I have been working at Gibson Consulting full-time

Pros

- Many avenues for professional and personal growth

- Travel schedule is reasonable

- Top leadership has extensive knowledge of various industries

Cons

- Management is unclear when communicating expectations

- Family members of CEO are given top priority and not held accountable. There are double standards

- Heavily reliant on few clients.

- Below average pay

Advice to Management

- Hold family members or friends of family members to the same standard as everyone else.

- increase salaries. Below average industry salaries but aggressive billing. Where does the money go?