Gibson Dunn & Crutcher Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher Chairman and Managing Partner Ken Doran
Ken Doran

Pros
  • Free market system means hours and coworks are generally more tolerable (in 5 reviews)

• Great opportunity to gain insight into sophisticated legal work in an international law firm (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work too many hours like every large law firm (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours -- but this is biglaw (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work

Cons

It's a typical big firm.

2. "GDC is mostly a great place to work"

I have been working at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time

Pros

So many of the people working here from the partners to the staff are absolutely incredible, and the firm culture here is pretty wonderful: open, friendly, and social. Great high profile clients and cases. Opportunities to work with some of the best in their fields. Excellent exit options. Every resource you can imagine at your disposal.

Cons

Junior associates don't get too much responsibility. There's no upward review of senior associates so they're not always responsive or helpful and can be very difficult to work with, and the lack of upward review makes it hard to get any resolution of these kinds of issues.

Advice to Management

We need a system for juniors to review seniors. Period. The way some senior associates treat juniors is totally unacceptable, and the fact that juniors don't have adequate recourse allows them to do it with impunity.

3. "Associate"

I worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time

Pros

Great technology, the secretary pool at the junior associate level is difficult when lateraling from another firm where you have your own secretary, partners work hard to create a friendly working environment

Cons

Lack of transparency is a huge issue together with a lack of feedback and guidance from partners, the word processing department is terrible and my team and I often had to spend hours formatting word documents

Advice to Management

More transparency, more feedback and opportunity to remedy professional issues unknown to associate before making partners make high-level decisions about an associate, must hire a much better word processing department

5. "Overall a good firm"

I worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time

Pros

Great work with great people.

Cons

Limited upward mobility; lack of mentoring

6. "Great as far as biglaw goes"

I have been working at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time

Pros

Best litigation department in the country, hands down. Great colleagues.

Cons

Hours can sometimes be unpredictable. Weekend work often necessary.

7. "Love This Place"

I have been working at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time

Pros

I've been a lawyer (now a partner) with the Firm my entire career and absolutely love it. Incredibly smart and talented people, collegial work environment, great clients, challenging work.

Cons

No place is perfect and work is work, but I can't think of a law firm in the country where I'd rather be working.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to focus on the Firm's most important assets - it's people - at all levels. Partners, associates, staff - all make major contributions to making the Firm the incredible place it is.

8. "Marketing and Client Relations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High ethics and dynamic personalities, exceptional client service standards.
    Despite mega law firm stature surprisingly small firm congenial approach to staff and clients alike.

Cons

Law Firms are historically difficult integrating and appreciating non-lawyers, particularly marketing and administrative staff. Gibson Dunn has made efforts to change this, though leadership and decisions were made in LA most the time, making it difficult for new ideas to be transmitted and supported regionally.

Advice to Management

Integrate skills, not titles to better understand your in-house counsel clients who chose not to be in a traditional firm.

9. "Great, warm culture"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly, respectful and willing to help. Management is extremely appreciative of staff. Amazing benefits (especially PTO) and the building is spectacular. Truly the best law firm in the world!

Cons

Not many opportunities to grow for the staff side and raises are average.

Advice to Management

If staff approaches you, not only show interest in allowing them to grow but take steps to make it happen.

"Great reputation, little substance"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, upbeat environment
    Strong litigation practice
    great summer program

Cons

The "free market system" is offered as a major selling point but is disorganized and encourages zero workload/assignment management or accountability among the partners.
    In my case, I had substantive work opportunities early as a first year associate, while most others in my class year were still doing document review/due diligence well into third and fourth years of practice - regardless of skill level. Partners have very political relationships with each other, which can impact an associate's ability to work on new matters. Young associates should not have to be enveloped in preexisting, negative politics.
    Caution: in exchange for the "brand" you will either be overworked or underutilized- in both cases, most people take an unmerited confidence hit.

Professional development opportunities are lacking.
    Corporate team values style over substance; popularity, favoritism and gossipy culture is strong here.

Treatment of support staff is generally poor.

Advice to Management

GDC should nix the free market system altogether and establish a real work allocation program. Earlier attrition rates among quality associates is primarily due to lack of oversight.

11. "Contract Attorney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (More than a year)

Pros

Stable, consistent work. Once you're hired, they will keep using you on different projects.

Cons

Head supervisor is a tyrant and plays favorites. Very difficult work conditions.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff.