Gift Of Life Donor Program Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Howard M. Nathan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good Cause - Incompetent Management"

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Participating in the process of saving lives through transplantation is awesome.

Cons

Management is incompetent. In my department, one manager was micromanaging to the point of making us watch her do our jobs instead of allowing us to do it. Management is a clique and as another reviewer said, it's a management vs. staff culture. There is no one to report poor management experiences to, since they've all go each others' backs.

Advice to Management

New blood is needed in this organization, BAD!

"Good mission, poor managers"

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, positive mission, location, community efforts, nonprofit

Cons

Inadequate raises, poor management, meager pay, health benefits keep downgrading

Advice to Management

Hire positive leaders with real leadership skills, evaluate and change salaries for all staff, give better benefits options to employees

"Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They mean well. The mission is awesome and it’s very satisfying to be part of such an important cause. Some very caring people work there. Glassdoor is making me write more than 20 words but I have no more positive ones to share.

Cons

No room for advancement
    Admins are expendable and they let you know
    Out of touch CEO
    Turnover is outrageous
    HR teeters on the right side of the law
    Bad moods spread like a disease
    Gossip is rampant
    The nature of the business can be depressing
    Everything is a performance for the Execs

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to be more in touch with employees and not just management. There is no neutral ear to hear about issues w/o fear of repercussions. Admins are the equivalent to fast food workers regardless of experience and though they work very hard they are treated like pack mules. I would recommend spending more time with your employees that are not management instead of parading VIPs past their desks like they are some type of petting zoo. Maybe then you would see just how unhappy majority of your staff is even though they smile when you pass. Also establish a THIRD PARTY ethics structure for employees to voice concerns.

"I keep hoping for it to get better. Watching colleagues get treated unfairly and badly."

Current Employee - Clinical in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is amazing. There's no way around it a lot of us are there because theres a real chance to save lives. And it's the best/largest OPO in the world. It's great to work with the BEST at anything, and this place has the biggest numbers and successes every year. Makes me feel proud every day.

Cons

Directors and Managers treat employees very unfairly. I watch them play favorites and prefer yes-men and women who are less talented (some of them are downright unqualified) over the strongest employees who bring new ideas and approaches to the table. They are clearly threatened by the idea of change and losing their control. It sounds paranoid to say it, but I've seen it happen with other people and it's the only conclusion to make. All of the managers and directors have been there 20+ years. In business school they talk about this sort of stale management staffing as being toxic and that's exactly what you've got here. What's the step beyond toxic? That's this place. The only way to get ahead is to keep your head down and make the managers and directors look good to their higher ups. (we all started out being treated like the best person they've ever hired - and then it settles in and you keep trying to get back to that ideal new car smell state, when it's impossible) I've watched the best people (certainly lately) get undermined and treated like the "bad guy" when no such thing is true. It's made me really re-examine if I want to keep working here. With such a good mission, it's shocking to see such vicious behavior toward the strongest employees. I know the truth now, and realize how many lives have been hurt by this management. When I started I assumed the disgruntled employees were just troublemakers and were making excuses. Now, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm in the good graces for now - but it could turn at any minute. Not a way to live. I see that other people (on this site) have made the same observations and it's frankly made me feel better and more sure of my conclusions. I'm definitely on the job market now, but it will be sad to leave this mission behind me. You hear about people having to recover from working here...I want to get out while the getting is good. Beware working here, you'll come in a hero, settle in and keep tryinig to be the hero in their eyes again, and then finally become the enemy and get treated badly.

Advice to Management

They won't listen, they are impressed by their own success. But if they did? I'd tell the people at the very top that employees are being treated badly by the very very long term managers and directors. Time to clean house entirely.

"Easy burnout for a good cause"

Former Employee - Referral Intake Specialist
    Former Employee - Referral Intake Specialist

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to help people through really tough times in their life, and making something good out of tragedy.

Cons

Don't take this job if you want a regular work schedule. Switch to nights every 8 weeks, with 13 hour workdays. Also if you are sensitive to loss or take your work home with you, don't take it. Had to quit because I got too depressed between the work and hours.

"TIC employee"

Former Employee - TIC In House Coordinatir in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - TIC In House Coordinatir in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The idea on which the organization is based. Being a part of this process is powerful if you can get the training you need.

Cons

Where to start??? Management is one big clique, if you're not in it just forget about moving ahead. Forget going to HR for anything, it will be repeated immediately and the employee will pay. Absolute hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

New blood!!!!!

"Invest in a team"

Former Employee - Community Relations in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Community Relations in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one company that 100% changes the lives for thousands waiting for a life saving transplant.

This is a fantastic resume builder

Cons

The staff making it all possible is under extreme pressure to perform around the clock without compensation to match. compensation is sub-par, burn out rate is high and a career ladder is non-existent. The management is beyond stale, and the culture has not changed since the last millennium.

Advice to Management

The Community Relations department often is tasked at working events every night of the week, including weekends. Getting all of the work done within the office hours is impossible, and often times requires evening work or coming into the office on the weekends just to catch up after being at required events.

The turnover rate continues to prevent the organization to really grow as innovators in the world of organ donation. Invest in a team that can grow, and watch what happens.

"Overall Thoughts"

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time

Pros

Hard workers, good people, passionate about the work they do.

Cons

Drive the donation game like a business, but it's real people and real lives....never sat well with me.

"Great mission, leadership needs to rework its vision"

Pros

Strong, clear mission of the organization and it's work. Leadership focus on long term goals and achievements, so they have become an internationally recognized leader in the field. Most colleagues truly dedicated, compassionate individuals who find the work very rewarding.

Cons

Middle management does not have the level of expertise to truly lead organization into the future. Many in positions over 10 years, no innovative thinking or willingness to implement new ideas. Condescending attitudes and no follow through. Employees not respected for creative ideas or recommendations to take organization to the next level.

Advice to Management

Leadership development, take better care of employees, be willing to look outside the very small industry to create energy and growth initiatives.

"Good Experience but dead-end"

Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Phila, PA

I worked at Gift Of Life Donor Program full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, rewarding work and friendly people

Cons

low pay, long hours, no advancement

Advice to Management

Restructure the company to focus on talent development and prevent the constant turnover.