GigMasters Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Caldwell

1. "#myjobisbetterthanyours"

Former Employee - Manager, Account Services in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Manager, Account Services in Norwalk, CT

I worked at GigMasters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GigMasters is unlike any other company you'll work at. Everyone likes each other, spends time together, and works so hard to accomplish company and personal goals. Departments works so closely together that everyone in the company feels like they have a say in all company updates. We have a ping pong room, darts, a kegerator, a "cafe", and a popcorn machine. We have consistent happy hours, celebrate all personal and company milestones (usually with a champagne toast), and genuinely have fun at work every day while still striving to hit lofty goals. Anyone would be extremely lucky to work at GigMasters.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the constant changes, since we've recently been acquired by the XO Group. I believe that once all details are worked out (regarding how our relationship will work) the changes will slow down.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing. Mike, you're fun, innovative, and so supportive to everyone in the company. My only suggestion would be to try and ween out the dead weight in the company as much as possible.

"No Vision"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at GigMasters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a popcorn machine and a ping-pong table

Cons

No vision and cannot sort out priorities

3. "What a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at GigMasters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love being part of a team that immediately feels like a second family. I get to help out people every day and be a part of a community that loves the same things that I do as well. I would recommend working here if you get the chance! What a great place to be.

Cons

The only challenges I really see are sometimes being able to handle requests that throw you for a loop from clients. But honestly its what keeps the job entertaining.I love being with this company!

Advice to Management

Don't give this dream up, you're doing a fantastic thing for the entertainment community.

5. "Opportunities Abound!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at GigMasters full-time

Pros

After working at GigMasters for a few years, coming to work every day is still exciting. At GigMasters your ideas and opinions are heard and acted upon. You feel supported, empowered and want to work harder every day. Your coworkers are your friends who you respect and want to learn more from. Honestly, it's an amazing place to work.

Cons

Tough question, as whenever I've had a concern, I've felt comfortable addressing it at GigMasters. We have flexible hours, summer Fridays, ping-pong tournaments, employee milestone & birthday celebrations, not a whole lot to complain about. Better yet, let's get a dishwasher!

6. "Work hard. Play hard."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Norwalk, CT

I worked at GigMasters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at GigMasters is a lot of fun. It's a small company where everyone knows your name and what you do. I enjoyed being able to work with other developers as well as people from other departments. Some of the most rewarding projects I worked on involved collaborating with other departments. GigMasters is relatively small so the culture in the office and company events definitely make it feel like a startup. The term, "Work hard, play hard," definitely applies here. Not only did I find my passion in Web Design and Development at GigMasters, but I also had fun along the way and made some long-lasting friendships. It really is a great place to work, especially if you're just starting your career.

Cons

When I worked at GigMasters, the departments had more of a flat structure than a hierarchy. At times, this made it challenging to think about your growth within the company and in your career. I believe, since leaving the company, more structure has been added to the departments and more opportunities for promotion. The company moves at a fast pace and sometimes the work-life balance can shift, especially during major launches. This is probably more noticeable for employees with children and family obligations.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees to work independently with minimal supervision and micromanaging. Be flexible when it comes to work schedules and working from home. Check in occasionally to make sure employees are satisfied with their jobs and career path. Keep offering great benefits. Keep striving to be a fun and rewarding place to work.

Jun 11, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback! Seeing the long-lasting friendships made by employees - both past & present - is without a doubt one of the most satisfying aspects of the job.

7. "Find your voice at GigMasters"

I have been working at GigMasters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GigMasters is by far the best company that I’ve ever worked for. Everyone shares a passion for entertainment services and a common goal to be the best website of its kind. The leadership team encourages creative ideas, and sincerely cares about the growth of the company and its employees. There’s an upbeat buzz around the office and lots of after work events, such as holiday parties, happy hours and fundraising activities. I look forward to my job every day!

Cons

The microwave could use an update. But hey, that says a lot if that's the only con!

Jun 3, 2014 – CEO

I agree - that microwave is ancient!! Expect a new one soon.

8. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Specialist
    Current Employee - Account Specialist

I have been working at GigMasters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are incredibly positive, helpful, and fun to be around. They're always available when you need them and even the founders are friendly, approachable, and always open to improving their company. The office has an overall motivating atmosphere and the work/life balance so far is great.

Cons

The website is very complex, so it takes a long time to learn everything there is to know about working in your position, but that comes with basically any position to be taken on

9. "Happiest place on earth next to Disney"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GigMasters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Approachable and awesome coworkers. Happy hour get togethers. Inventive team building. Non stop coffee. Everyone is willing to put in the extra effort to get something accomplished.

Cons

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this company. I have to write 20 words to meet the requirement, but seriously, this is the best job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

May 19, 2014 – CEO

Wow, thank you! That is so rewarding to hear. The happy hours are a blast for sure, but the part about everyone being willing to put in the extra effort to get things accomplished is what it's all ... More

10. "Just FANTASTIC!"

I have been working at GigMasters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly supportive co-workers and teams. Culture that fosters education, self-betterment, and (especially as of late) a healthy work-life balance. Willing to go to bat for their employees. Professional office atmosphere when needed, but a firm belief in encouraging an entertaining work space (one of our developer offices is plastered with Nintendo art, there's a ping pong room, frequent company outings). Consistently trying to hire top-level talent even though the office location isn't necessarily in a central location for hiring.

Cons

No official work from home policy. Not too much of a con as the leadership staff is flexible, but especially from a customer service and technical employee standpoint, recruiting new employees and retaining current is harmed by the lack of consistently available and well defined remote work privileges. This is especially noticeable with the introduction of full time remote hires.

Advice to Management

Be strong in your decisions. Employees are willing to follow you into the fight, but some of the decisions as of late seem to indicate a lack of conviction. You've been successful this long, keep being true to yourselves!!!

Jun 3, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for the honest feedback. It's truly valuable and appreciated! Regarding the lack of an official work from home policy, I'll admit this is area where my beliefs may differ from currently ... More

11. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer

I worked at GigMasters full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working at GigMasters. My coworkers were knowledgeable and creative people who had a lot of passion for what they do. Management rewarded initiative and was committed to making it not only a productive workplace but a fun and creative one as well.

Cons

Whenever the team faced challenges, we were able to talk with each other and with Mike and Kevin, so we could work things out. I liked that! I miss being there, and I miss the comraderie we all had.

May 5, 2014 – CEO

Thank you so much for your comments! We strive to make GigMasters exactly what you describe - a productive, fun, and creative place to work!