Gilbarco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Martin Gafinowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good and opportunity to work in lots of areas with some good people who want to see you succeed (in 7 reviews)

• Good people with good work ethic (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance when orders are rolling (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover, long hours, poor cross functional communication (in 6 reviews)

1. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Technician in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Down-to-earth people and good environment. Management is generally nice and respectful of employees. Benefits include 401k matching, life, dental, medical, eye insurance. There is racial diversity in management and among employees.

Cons

Pay is little low from national average. The processes and systems are archaic. Gilbarco could use better IT support. Only two weeks paid vacation when first starting with 9 paid holidays (non-union), one week of sick pay, and 3 float days. For Union Employees, Gilbarco tends to work them long hours (which for some maybe good for the increase in their paychecks), but wears down the workers and effects quality in the products. Typically Gilbarco will lay off the union workers first of every year, so it is difficult for families to survive. The whole factory is air conditioned and heated. It is still factory work with all the dust and dirt. Certain jobs are repetitious and boring.

Advice to Management

Try to bring pay up to at least national average. Update the processes and systems used. Try to level the work load, so people don't have to work so many hours during the busy seasons, or be laid off in the slow times.

2. "Nice company to work for"

Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and co-workers were very helpful

Cons

Immediate manager lacked knowledge to support me in some of the company specific processes and penalized me for not knowing by putting me on a performance plan, continuing to offer no help or allowing me to reach out for help, and ultimately firing me.

Advice to Management

Focus more on supporting the laymen by means of training in areas of need or allowing them to reach out to team. Acknowledge hard working and willing employees by supporting them to be successful.

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco full-time

Pros

Benefits, employee activities, good pay

Cons

Too often management plays favorites and makes decisions based off politics instead of treating people fairly according to their work. In my time there, I saw a lot of good people run screaming from the building (literally) and the turnover continues to reflect to weakness in leadership.

Advice to Management

Reward hardworking, intelligent people, lead by positive example, communicate effectively, and don't play the blame game.

"Great learning experience but negatives outweigh positives"

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time

Pros

I've gained lots of technical knowledge about products and the industry. Most of the people are great to work with. Salary and benefits are better that most. I like my boss, not many others can say that.

Cons

Very lean, don't expect help from anyone outside your team. Decisions will be made that impact your job/customers/etc. without your input and sometimes they don't even tell you about it. They say customers first but there are so many internal communication issues that customers are second if not third. Culture isn't great - the factory is dreary, people are disgruntled and overworked.

Advice to Management

Replace people that leave. Take care of your employees and customers and profits will happen organically. Create mobility within your departments, white men don't need to be the only ones in management positions ITS 2017!!!!

5. "Kaizen Engineer"

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time

Pros

Opportunity to execute any project

Cons

Need better management for young professionals

Advice to Management

Focus on helping employees grow

6. "You can make a surplus of money"

Current Employee - Assembly I in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Assembly I in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start at about $12.00. Overtime after 8hrs and all day saturday with double time Sunday. Hardest part is getting in the building by 6am. Very easy work. After the first 60 days it's very laid back. Good benefits.

Cons

No work life balance when orders are rolling. Could easily work 7 days a week for 21 days straight. Attendance has point system and it takes a year for them to come off. Not family oriented and no exceptions for school. Volunteer OT and job bids are according to seniority.

Advice to Management

Employees should be able to earn points back after a certain amount of hours worked.

"Consider other options first"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a limited amount of people and budget resources so you get very creative in doing your job. You are also able to work cross functionally to get tasks completed so you get exposed to many different departments.

Cons

The priorities change a moments notice and you are expected to constantly pivot. You are assigned one thing on Monday then on Tuesday there is a new fire, on Wednesday you are asked why didn't you finish your Monday task. The salary is okay but it average compared to the area. I have always been ranked at above average performance at my previous jobs. There is a ton of micromanaging going on. I have my Masters degree and years of experience at my previous jobs but that doesn't matter because everyone is micromanaged. It is also not a very diverse culture at the top. The building is extremely old and needs updated very badly. I never bring vendors into our facility since it is very dated and there are no "nice places" to take them.

Advice to Management

1. Update you facility
    2. Stop micromanaging - you have very intelligent people working for you so you should take advantage of their ideas
    3. Make a decision and stick to it - stop changing priorities so much. You are just creating spin and wasting time and money.
    4. Research competitive salaries.

"Its Okay"

Current Employee - Full Time in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Full Time in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Co-Workers. Good opportunity for learning process improvement techniques. Constantly improving onsite manufacturing systems.

Cons

Parent company seems to focus on other operational companies under their umbrella. The process improvement techniques are specific to this company only. The lean environment tends to burn people out.

9. "The company that motivates you to do better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to get started in the oil and gas field

Cons

Left-hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing #management

Advice to Management

If you simply just don't know how to do something ASK your employees. Do not just try a whole bunch of scenarios until something works.

10. "Just ok."

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time

Pros

Good people with good work ethic. Great opportunities to develop professionally.

Cons

Slow and underachieving.

Too many silos. Lack of communication across departments/organizations/opcos/roles.

Advice to Management

Need to try to become a small company again, break down the silos, and find ways to become one team. Gain some understanding of the true systemic issues associated with underachievement at all levels of this business and close these gaps.