Gildan Activewear Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Gildan Activewear President, CEO, Director Glenn J. Chamandy
Glenn J. Chamandy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They give feedback and offer many great benefits" (in 5 reviews)

• "Gildan Retail headquarters is located in Charleston, SC which is" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long Hours, Underpaid, Overworked," (in 5 reviews)

• "There is very subtle racism that takes place that seems to be accepted by upper management" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Marketing Coorindator"

Pros

Gildan is a great company to work for. Everyone in marketing is extremely outgoing and makes coming to work fun. Enjoyed working here heavily

Cons

The technology at Gildan is outdated, making getting things done more difficult than they have to be.

2. "Maintenance Techinican"

Current Employee - Slave in Eden, NC
    Current Employee - Slave in Eden, NC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of 1 and I was there a long time

Cons

They don't care how hard you work days,nights, weekends . Working A shift B,C or D . You can even train employees and always show you are deciated and they still don't care . They might give you a 30 or 40 cent raise for a cost of living . All the dinners are furnished by Transpro which we all enjoyed . They didn't pay for our company picnic

Advice to Management

Get right with the lord, cause I really feel sorry for you.

"Not a healthy place to work. I would not recommend as long as it is under management by American Apparel employees"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, if you are a workaholic then it’s a pro

Cons

Unfair and disrespectful management. Military order. Sacrificing your social life to work

Advice to Management

Cut bait with American Apparel management. They are unprofessional and intimidating to employees. They apply military order. You are creating a revolving door with employees. You have cut bait with long term employees who took great pride in there work or forced them to quit by enforcing unrealistic work ethics. Gildan and Alstyle Apparel were at one time a great company, bringing in American Apparel to manage the Mira Loma location will be there downfall.

"Company undergoing major internal issues and restructuring"

Former Employee - Designer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Designer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good benefits, especially health insurance.

Cons

Major internal changes are happening now and over 200 people were laid off in the past few months. Just be aware.
    Salary workers need to be prepared to work a lot of unpaid overtime. The work life balance I experienced was very poor and commuting to the location was a major hassle.
    High turnover due to restructuring, often was afraid of losing my job.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Management in Mocksville, NC
    Current Employee - Management in Mocksville, NC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay scale, opportunities, and making a worldwide product. Cutting edge technology that is fun to work with.

Cons

Bully type management, favoritism has affected the day to day operations, turn over rate is atrocious, no actual solutions are found for problems.. If the problem is a machine then the operator is told to operate it more efficiently even if it is broken. The technians are paid $2.85 more than the operators to simply stand around for the whole day and conversate, some days while getting overtime. Management sees this and does nothing because they do the same, especially if you are part of the group of favorites you can basically earn a steady income without performing any actual work. There is very subtle racism that takes place that seems to be accepted by upper management. Hispanics are mistreated regularly and held to a higher work standard than other associates of different nationalities. If you do not speak English you will be mistreated regularly. There are supervisors still employed that have had several sexual harassment and discrimination complaints made against them but upper management makes it all disappear by terminating the hourly associates involved.

Advice to Management

This company has the ability to be great but your management style is outdated and ineffective. So many of your workers would choose to stay if they didn't see any racism, favoritism, or bullying from supervisors and upper management.

"Mismanaged company concerned only about stock price"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resume builder - work in a large company with many contacts and experiences. Benefits in high level jobs are decent.

Cons

Departments are competitive with each other - no team attitude. No corporate strategy is communicated so you never feel plugged into overall goals. Management is detached and impersonal. Every time a piece of business is lost people are fired - people are in constant fear of losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Talk to employees and make strategic plans that includes room for business cycles.

"Gildan Activewear"

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Gildan Retail headquarters is located in Charleston, SC which is #1 Conde Nast destination city. There is room for growth within the organization and if you are a go-getter and like wearing many hats this is the spot for you.

Cons

There could be greater emphasis on employee training and development programs.

8. "Seems to be a stepping stone for most."

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Doesn't micro-manage. Flexible schedule, if you want to use your vacation time.

Cons

You seem to have "multiple bosses," aka get direction from numerous people who aren't really your supervisors. Sometimes long hours.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Great place to work with great people"

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

People, hours, location, and management

Cons

Felt like the work was very banal

"Unfair treatment of your workforce."

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We got a raise after three years....smh. but they took our monthly PTO. So it really balances out like we got nothing.

Cons

While they give raises they cut hrs. It balances out like we never got a raise . We are not seeing our pay when you never get 80hrs. There is nothing in paper with employees signature. Alot of lies and gaps in imformation. The workers suffer while management gets paid for everyday and even the days they force us to take off without pay. The rate of pay and the yearly cost of living isn't being applied. Who ever is controlling the finances knows how to hurt workers and let everything benefit management. Remember without workers nothing moves.

Advice to Management

Stop slandering workers to other workers. What kind of priffessional do you guys have working for you. Things can get out of hand when someone with authority abuses his power through verbal abuse and indirect attacks. SMH.