Gildan Activewear Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gildan Activewear President, CEO, Director Glenn J. Chamandy
Glenn J. Chamandy

Pros
  • You get to travel frequently for customer visits and are able to keep a good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• I love the people I work with, and the environment is fast-paced and challenging, so you're never feeling stagnant or bored (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the other upper management were also rude and did not have good social skills, not even a simple hello even when spoken too (in 5 reviews)

• Long Hours, Underpaid, Overworked, (in 4 reviews)

1. "Hopes this is helpful"

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Company is having good growth opportunities in it's many acquisitions.

Cons

The IT infrastructure is so fragmented. Too many systems. Corp needs to integrate these extra IT systems more expeditiously. Reporting is poor. Rely too much in excel in analyzing or developing Mgt. reports.

Advice to Management

Invest in your IT systems!!! So that these fragmented systems from the past company's acquired can be integrated into one reporting system. Invest in better reporting software, i.e. Crystal or Business Objects then using Hyperion excel.

2. "Unethical"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked and admired my supervisor very much, as did all of the people who worked for him, and then they threw him under the bus.

Cons

I was hired as part of a special team to work on an order for Dollar General. After working several months some machines arrived from one of Gildan’s Caribbean plants. We were ordered to cut the labels out of Fruit of the Loom shirts and heat transfer the Gildan label onto it. I complained to my supervisor, who was hired just for this project and he assured me that it was legal. When other people questioned this also, our supervisor had a meeting with his boss and the head of the Charleston office who both said the legal department in Canada had oked the work. Not only did we put their labels in Fruit of the Loom shirts but we were then ordered to send them back to Dollar General with other shirts from another company, the colors did not match, the display boxes looked cheap with three of four shades of the same color in the same boxes. We complained to our supervisor who then complained about the presentation but was again told to just do the work. About a month after we shipped the goods some lawyers came down from Canada. Dollar General and Fruit of the Loom threatened to sue and they made our supervisor the scapegoat. The day after the lawyers left he was called down stairs and escorted out of the building. Even though he had nothing to do with the order except follow orders, he was fired. Slowly they got rid of all of us that worked on this project. The company wanted everyone who worked on this project out of the building. We did what we were told and then they fired us when Fruit of the Loom threatened to sue.

Advice to Management

Don't lie and blame others for your mistakes.

"Stay away!!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Analyst level employees are good to work with, very young and fun.
    Not much more Pros

Cons

Upper management does not treat workers like people. Forced to work overtime especially weekends, budget more important than life itself. Low pay for work. Favoritism within departments is ridiculous, no promotions for meaningful results. Just for how brown your nose is. Sales and forecasting departments are worst with having terrible leadership at manager and director level.

4. "Great Place, Minus a Few Bad Apples"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Some fun company activities
    Some of the employees were okay, pretty down to earth.

Cons

Human Resources department management, were rude and disrespectful. They looked down on other departments and employees in lower positions. The turnover in the HR coordinator position was ridiculous. Some of the other upper management were also rude and did not have good social skills, not even a simple hello even when spoken too.

Advice to Management

Humble yourselves; just because you are in a high position, does not make you better than anyone else. Gildan was a great place to work, besides a few bad apples. Set an example and contribute positively to Gildan's culture. It is okay to smile and say hello sometimes...

5. "Follow the procedures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Gildan Activewear (More than a year)

Pros

All is based of procedures, great quality systems, great environment, people-convinient decisions,

Cons

Not balanced work load. Not standarized work duties. Management confuse you sometimes. Lot of audits thru the whole year.

6. "Customer Service is run by morally corrupt people"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Average pay for work done

Cons

Terrible management in the customer service department. I was a young guy in a department of 95% middle aged, miserable women. Very mean, gossipy people work there. Terrible work environment. Management will play favorites if they don't like you and do whatever they can to get you fired. I was told 3 weeks before getting let go that I was not going to lose my job. I think my manager lied about my lunch breaks to try and get me fired. Terrible people. Please don't ever work there unless you want to hate your life.

Advice to Management

Grow up and stop sucking.

7. "Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

You can learn a lot, but even that is restricted.

Cons

Poor benefits, not flexible, they care more about bottom line and budgets then the actual employees.

Advice to Management

Stay more informed and show less favoritism

"Not keeping up with the times"

Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Charleston, SC

I worked at Gildan Activewear (More than a year)

Pros

You get to travel frequently for customer visits and are able to keep a good work/life balance. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

The company is about 10 years behind the technology curve. Laptops are old and need replacing and IT is not willing to listen to process improvements.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on your bottom line and start focusing on making life easier for your employees. New laptops and some IT support would have a positive impact on the bottom line through increased productivity.

9. "Gildan"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you have the best managers, team leaders, and overseers in the whole plant.

Cons

i haven't had any downside.

Advice to Management

i don't have nothing to say but i loved working there and thanks for the opportunity for working for your company.

"Inventory Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear (More than 5 years)

Pros

-401k Match
    -Stock Plan
    -Fast Paced Environment

Cons

-Below industry compensation
    -Not a lot of opportunity for internal advancement

Advice to Management

Need more structure and defined opportunity for career progression.