Gildan Activewear Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gildan Activewear President, CEO, Director Glenn J. Chamandy
Glenn J. Chamandy

Pros
  • You get to travel frequently for customer visits and are able to keep a good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• I love the people I work with, and the environment is fast-paced and challenging, so you're never feeling stagnant or bored (in 4 reviews)

Cons

"WARNING! Do not work here!"

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Cons

Employees are mistreated and underpaid. Management is conniving, devious, and unprofessional. HR department is incompetent.

Advice to Management

I can't help those who won't help themselves. Once you realize you're not the most intelligent person in the room then the healing can begin.

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Sales in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would strongly recommend not working here until major changes are made. Company has a lot of potential, but needs to recognize its weaknesses and create a better environment for its employees

Cons

Politics, unprofessional / unethical upper management (not all, but some key players), lacks structure, zero training, culture is awful! Constantly putting out fires

Advice to Management

Clean house. Everyone is miserable

3. "Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

You can learn a lot, but even that is restricted.

Cons

Poor benefits, not flexible, they care more about bottom line and budgets then the actual employees.

Advice to Management

Stay more informed and show less favoritism

"Stay away!!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Analyst level employees are good to work with, very young and fun.
    Not much more Pros

Cons

Upper management does not treat workers like people. Forced to work overtime especially weekends, budget more important than life itself. Low pay for work. Favoritism within departments is ridiculous, no promotions for meaningful results. Just for how brown your nose is. Sales and forecasting departments are worst with having terrible leadership at manager and director level.

"Unprofessional and unethical culture. Use "fit" to bully staff."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-location, offices, and the females wear very revealing outfits to the office, if that interests you.

Cons

-Sexist, Racist. Only Italian Males from Montreal can get promoted from within - but when they need actual skills to fill a role, they need to recruit from outside (and can no longer hire from within Montreal due to their poor reputation). They only

A quick search on linkedin should give you an indication of their turnover.

Advice to Management

CEO is great, however has Senior Management in place who give him blatantly and intentionally misinform him to suit their own agendas.

Only a few things can hide for long - the sun, the moon, and the truth. They will crash in a few years, when the misinformation eventually results in actual failures. Also stop using "lack of fit" to give senior management carte blanche to bully employees and give others preferential treatment.
    Disgusting environment, can't wait to get out.

"Highly mismanaged company, poor salary, free over-time expected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

A great learning experience in dysfunctional companies.

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing more than half the time. Employees are given the tools to fail yet blamed for everything. Lots of finger pointing going on at this place. Margin for error is tremendous due to the amount of manual work that is required. Salaries are pitiful, given the Manhattan location. Free overtime is expected and you are guilt-tripped if you don't comply. Constant disasters and damage control going on. Priorities shift by the minute. The upper management is predominantly male. The women are definitely low-balled, in terms of salary and treated like administrative assistants.

Advice to Management

Read some books on leadership. Stop being greedy and taking on additional business that the company isn't ready for yet. Get some systems in place that work. Treating your employees like failures or idiots for making a mistake doesn't promote growth. It stunts it. Stop expecting people to work past 5pm. Respect a work-life balance. Pay your employees a salary that is pertinent to NYC cost of living.

"A grown-up family business with obviously inadequate staff"

Current Employee - IT Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the only thing I like is the office location!

Cons

Where to start? I have joined 1 year ago and I can't believe I am still there. I should have refused the offer since I was so unimpressed by the whole hiring process, started with the HR manager not having read my Resume and making me feel inadequate (why did she call me for an interview then?) and then making a low-ball offer a few days afterward which was increased by 20% upon my obvious counteroffer (hint, hint! Do not take right away their first offer!).
    When joined I stayed without a workstation for 15 days, and working in IT you may understand what handicap that is. Basically I was paid to do nothing for 2 weeks.
    When fully setup I understood quickly the mess I ended up into. The company has grown too fast and their processes are frankly slightly above of non-existing. The worst part is that the management does not fully realize what that means and think that as long as profit comes the company is doing well (I witnessed this way of thinking from the beginning and it has not changed so far). It shows how management is composed by non-trained people who have no long-term vision at all. How those are selected into key position is no mystery once you understand that this company is manager as a family business. Quick and dirty style. Grab and go.
    One of the most pathetic areas is the e-commerce site (for the US market) which is a joke. Fortunately we deal with low-cost merchandise, so customers expectations are luckily low.
    Frequent overtime is requested to cope with unreasonable request or expectations from incompetent managers. Politics take you a long way in this environment, like in many other companies based in QC, unfortunately (and I am a french Canadian: I just do not like to hide my head under the ground).
    I have been on the look to move away for a while and I am glad I am signing a new contract soon. I definitely do not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Remove incompetent personnel from all areas, from HR to upper management. Unfortunately presently those are the ones setting the bar so low for the company. Productive, optimistic employee are frustrated and all on the look to move away. Do not settle for this mediocrity: the company can do much, much better than this and profits are now only a fraction of what they can be.

"A learning experience day in and out, good or bad."

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

Weekends off most of the year, unlimited over-time when available, three shifts to choose from, friendly team leaders and supervisors.

Cons

Hours get cut like gang busters, a high school-esque atmosphere

10. "opportunities but somewhat difficult/challenging environment"

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros

good manufacturing process, responsible to environment at manufacturing sites

Cons

difficulties transitioning to new class of trade

Advice to Management

need to look long-term, understand that not all accounts are run the same

"Ok Place"

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Living in Charleston is great

Cons

Management needs to listen to employees