Gilead Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, vacation time is adequate (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is not the best (in 96 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"research associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate (Medicinal Chemistry) in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate (Medicinal Chemistry) in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very exciting, engaging, fast pace. I feel like I can, and do, make an impact. I often have a large degree of freedom in what I work on day to day.

Cons

Stock price only seems to be heading down lately.
    Can be extremely fast paced at times.
    Base compensation lower than most others.

2. "AWFUL, PETTY MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock options, interesting science and products

Cons

Mean, petty management. If you are not one of the boys (or suck-uppy girls), watch out. Promotions are rarely merit based. Work ethic non-existent in many departments, face time matters not competency.

Advice to Management

Listen to the slamming doors as the good people leave!

3. "Ignoring their problems..."

Former Employee - CRA in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - CRA in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get down and dirty where truly many hats are worn- so experience and growth in the industry is readily open to all new comers.

Cons

Few upper and middle management members are able to value their employees and team members and as such several of them have left as handfuls are "picked as favorites" that are obvious enough and can get away with most atrocities, even when reported to HR...several times as justification stems for achieving results through seemingly any means possible so the managers can look good in front of their superiors. As a result, a lot of the good people i worked with who kept the work interesting and meaningful left and what was left was those who were toxic and drove most out and those who the hiring managers even joked about as being "3rd choice" who many at times will be made obvious by such managers.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for your people managers. Your individual contributors, though lower on the totem pole are not people to be used for immediate goals and easily let go when they quit because they can't take any more of the drama and bs.
    I joined Gilead because the people and work inspired me to do more- I left because the people I ended up working with were narrowminded, selfish, and toxic to my and other's personal well being.

HR knows about these instances as they've been reported to several times and even have acknowledged that there is something inherently wrong at mine and others' exit interviews. Do something about it- Gilead can achieve a strong name again with better actions.

"A place where your political skills matter more than your technical skills"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good campus and facilities, some genuinely good people that do a lot of the heavy lifting to enable the "climbers and political types" to shine.

Cons

Absolutely heartless place where you will be sure to be reprimanded for any small mistake but never be commended for all the hard work. A place where favoritism is rampant in all department and systems are antiquated.
    Genuine scientific dialog is frowned upon in meetings because one must park their brains at the door and execute on what had been dictated from top down, even if it does not make sense.

Advice to Management

Recognize the doers and reward them because without them the success of the organization remains in jeopardy

"Sr Manager"

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Robin (CFO) is a great

Cons

where do I start? this place does not have human kindness and this place is not what you know rather who you know. Bosses will come to face and say its better you quit. Rally the most horrible place I ever worked. I went into sever depression and had no self stem due the way I was treated. Long story short I have found a great job and folks that I can relate to and a n environment where I can thrive and grow.

Advice to Management

Make sure you listen and know whats going on under your nose. No wonder there are so many employee relate law suits that is being filed all the time. I have not seen a company with this many law suits in my 25 years of me being in the workforce.

"Some animals are more equal than others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Core focus on science; highly respected company; plenty of opportunities to learn

Cons

Even though a new core value of inclusion was added, there is a culture where members of staff are able to get promotion and recognition for being "liked" by the "influental" people rather than on their ability. People at senior positions are much less likely to be scrutinised for their ethics or work compared to people "at the bottom". Unacceptable behaviour by directors almost always goes unpunished. HR department does almost nothing regarding informal complaints against senior staff members. So far your are "up there" you are untouchable.

Advice to Management

Operate a no nonsense approach to all members of staff not just those at the bottom. Senior or influential members can get away with murder and do not get sacked or reprimanded for underperformance or inappropriate behaviour. Take inclusion seriously and apply it to all levels of staff.

"You have been warned"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeterias are nice. Each time a drug goes on the market, you get a cute gift. Company shuts down for xmas. Some people are nice.

Cons

Many people here have written about Gilead running lean and the long hours you will work. And while that may be true for some, it is not much different than any other biotech. We work hard no matter where we go.

The issue with Gilead is that the people there are awful. They will backstab you, try and sabotage your project, falsify data, walk all over you and NO ONE CARES. It is the norm.

I was never yelled at by anyone I worked with until I went to Gilead. Despite the fact that I worked very hard, and was very successful in my experiments, when I was attacked by a colleague, no one did anything. In fact, I was told I needed to do a better job at not getting so upset. That's when I decided to leave. How can you possibly tell someone they need to get better at taking abuse?

When I left and shared all of this with HR, the woman acted so appalled. But you know what? There still was nothing done to end the behavior. The person who was abusing me (and many others) has never been disciplined.

I can tell you, quite honestly, this is the worst place I have ever worked for. They pay less than everyone else, they don't care about you or your happiness, there are all kinds of weird inappropriate relationships going on that determine the success of the projects, and it often times feels more like a pick up scene than a workplace. People are so unhappy. They have been treated so badly and there is no recourse for them. There is no one there to help them. I honestly did not meet one single person who said they were happy working for Gilead.

Also, the people may be smart, but they are far behind on technologies and many of them are missing key skills to get new jobs. It's a sad place and I advise that, if you can, go anywhere else but here. Until they start showing they actually care about their people and their culture, this place is going to continue to sink.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You cannot continue to allow people to be treated horribly by their coworkers and their supervisors. It is a disgrace that your HR would allow this to go on for so long. Soon enough, people are going to catch on to who you are and you will not be able to recruit any good talent.
    I suggest a proactive action from HR where the people who are repeat offenders and abusers are eliminated to set an example for the others. Put someone in HR in each building to watch over things and be there for the employees. That way, these things can be caught quickly.

"Sr. Research Associate I"

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Gym, Stocks, Free Food, Location

Cons

No advancement opportunities. Overworked, need more help, but management doesn't care as long as things are getting done.

"Disorganized"

Pros

Little organization and guidance leads to a lot of autonomy and independent decision making

Cons

Independent decision making is apparently frowned upon. Initiative is also frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Cascade goals, and when direction is obviously needed, provide the direction. When latitude is available, clearly state the latitude.

"Sr CTMA"

Former Employee - Senior CTMA in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior CTMA in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, budget, therapies, access program, medication assistance

Cons

Horrible management, no corporate culture, no direction or training

Advice to Management

Allow employees to switch line managers if there is a clear conflict. This was not afforded to me.