Gilead Sciences "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilead Sciences Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.1
Gilead Sciences CEO Daniel O’Day (no image)
Daniel O’Day
Pros
Cons
  • "No Work Life balance unfortunately(in 127 reviews)

• "Upper management set with approaches that were more suitable for when the company was much smaller(in 38 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Gilead Sciences

Pros

Paid time off, good benefits

Cons

None come to mind at the moment

Gilead Sciences2019-02-26

"Tough place to work but good for career overall"

Former Employee - Scientist I in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

1] Exposure to development (preclinical and clinical) organization and project teams 2] Company size makes it possible to meet a lot of people outside of one's discipline 3] Good benefits and holiday time

Cons

1] Intense and often toxic work culture and hard to advance 2] rapid growth of the company has been completely mismanaged

Gilead Sciences2019-03-18
  3. "Solid Career to be had at Gilead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are very good benefits

Cons

depending on the department, the morale can be low

Gilead Sciences2019-02-11

"Think Twice...thrice and dont ruin your life"

Current Employee - Domain Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just a big Pharma Name to get on your resume. Good Benefits - but with poor work life balance you never enjoy life!

Cons

MAny...Many.. Very poor upper management, Micro managers, Poor direction leading to project failures and then contractors are blamed and fired.. Lot of blame game, too much scrutiny on when to speak what, poor business relations with cross departments, Bullying attitude. Just combine everythinga nd imagine bringing the load back home everyday after work. If you are considering joining Gilead, its not as good as it sounds from outside. You will Join, and realize later. I fell in this trap, looking for way out soon before I ruin my mental peace permanently. Crazy work place. Stay away, there are better pharmas out there to grow your career and enjoy life as well. Everybody works like dogs. Contractors are treated like slaves. There is so much difference just with what color badge you hold. Contractors have no say and often scolded to express their opinion. well, atleast give direction or provide guidance on what is expected. NOt speaking for myself but my fellow contractors who are treated so badly.

Advice to Management

Change your outlook and move along with the world. Hire better managers and don't make every new hire do the work according to "Gilead Way" which is directionless and clueless. Let new hires bring their energy on the table, and while not everything can be changes, there should be a listening ear and let the employee grow.

Gilead Sciences2019-02-16

"Not happy there"

Former Employee - Scientist II

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay. Good stock incentives.

Cons

Awful culture, lots of backstabbing, toxic atmosphere.

Gilead Sciences2019-02-14

"Potential does not equal execution"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Well funded Great facilities to work in (modern) Competitive salaries Good benefits

Cons

Overly bureaucratic Too many levels to engage to get projects started Poor planning Firefighting mentality

Advice to Management

The business model would be more effectively executed if any planning were instituted. I have yet to see a 1,3,5 year plan at this company over the past 5 years

Gilead Sciences2018-11-09

"Lean company, employees are overworked."

Current Employee - Worker in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good pay.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They overwork us, the employees, sometimes working 14+hrs a day and expect high quality of work. Very lean when it comes to the workers, yet there's many management positions just giving orders.

Advice to Management

Interact with your employees. Get to know them.

Gilead Sciences2018-08-22

"Lean Culture. Overworked. Underpaid. Low Titles/Levels. Fast paced."

Former Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly competent and qualified peers. Gilead hires the best in the industry. Good benefits. You will learn more in 2 years than you will learn in 10 years working elsewhere. Exposure to valuable knowledge. RSUs. HR development programs. Great training. Well structured organization. Welcomes change. Good company to learn the job and industry.

Cons

No work-life balance. Overworked - on average 10-12 hours per day. No WFH. No flexible business hours. Uncompetitive salaries. Promotion based on politics versus merit. Hard to move up or around.

Advice to Management

Implement a WFH policy. Promote Work-life balance. Promote on merit. Recalibrate your salaries and job levels to match the industry standards.

Gilead Sciences2018-08-12
  9. "Mixed feelings"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Good benefits; good culture; decent place to work for

Cons

Same as any large pharma

Gilead Sciences2018-08-09

"Beware of toxic and unqualified managers/HR policies (or lack of) that are coddled and protected at your expense."

Former Employee - Devops in Foster City, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great medical advances. Good 401k match (10k). Good benefits in general & 3 weeks vacation, but I’m not sure they’re any better than those at any other big company. One paid day of community service per year. Good community service opportunities. Very good soup/salad bars. Some very smart and kind co-workers and at least one good manager (but I think that’s true at most companies). Beautiful location and nice gym. I had one great manager. Too bad they reorged (for no good reason) and just introduced chaos and turnover into a system that was working fine before the reorg.

Cons

No salary or perk can compensate for a manager that treats you like you’re a expendable piece of crap. And HR doesn’t have an effective policy in place to handle managers that go haywire (outside of blaming the employee, creating the retention issue that Gilead is becoming/is already famous for). Too many remote managers, which doesn’t help bridge possible communication gaps. Can't they at least require teleconferences or require remote managers to travel to the Foster City site (or are they too precious for that?)? No clear progression of "disciplinary actions" so a manager can fire or manage you out on a whim (like his/her marriage is on the rocks or he/she's on a power trip). I find that when managers feel they can get away with anything (especially bc they somehow managed to stay at Gilead 5+ years), smug, arrogant, and complacent behavior can develop.

Advice to Management

PLEASE ONLY HIRE MANAGERS WHO RATE HIGH ON EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS. Don't assume that a good scientist/statistician is a good manager. If they have terrible communication skills and fear/hate people, they can't compensate for that by having 3 PhDs or whatever else. Don't allow management to dump criticism/ambush employees in a year-end performance review when REASONABLE demands haven't been clearly voiced and documented before. There shouldn't really be any surprises at those year-end reviews. Those "surprises" are the ultimate in passive-aggression and are the hallmarks of an insecure and vastly underqualified manager/HR department (with perhaps also demonstrate a sadistic streak). It's ridiculous that I know some people have been contractors for 3+ years without being offered perm employment. Don't reorg just to make it look like you're doing something.

Gilead Sciences2018-03-28