Gilead Sciences "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilead Sciences Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.1
Gilead Sciences CEO Daniel O’Day (no image)
Daniel O’Day
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Specialist."

Former Employee - Senior Territory Specialist

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very solid company that understands work life balance. Gilead also understands professionalism accountability excellent teamwork and inclusion. I was honored to work for them for 13 years.

Cons

When you go to work for any company, if you’re a professional you look to yourself to adapt modify and overcome any objective that is not positive. I have no negative comments about the Ilia when you go to work for any company, if you’re a professional you look to yourself to adapt modify and overcome any objective that is not positive. I have no negative comments about Gilead.

Advice to Management

There are always opportunities to advance.

Gilead Sciences2019-06-20

"Average experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay is good, great benefits, work/life balance was easy

Cons

management fo my department was pretty horrible. you were highly micromanaged

Gilead Sciences2019-08-05
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"great benefit"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefit and it's getting better every year.

Cons

No work life balance.

Gilead Sciences2019-07-19

"Benefits and Pay are Great but Culture Fails to Meet Expectations"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, great 401k matching and medical options, lots of work to do and great learning experiences, "flex" days where you can work from home.

Cons

Running too "lean" leads to poor work life balance for the "worker bees". There are protections in place for poor performers that bring down the rest of the team and results in appearance of favoritism. There is room for growth but only if you are willing to conform to the culture of your group and appears to be based on the same favoritism mentioned above. Some parts of the organization don't let you use the "flex" days that they promote as a benefit even within that part of the organization. Disassociation from the top down creates inconsistent messaging between the different levels of management. Employee retention rates are not great.

Advice to Management

Purge the toxic "lean" and favoritism culture that disproportionately affects the people who are new or at the bottom of a silo.

Gilead Sciences2019-06-05

"Good Place to Work, but Don’t Get Too Comfortable"

Current Employee - Community Liaison

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, stock options, employee perks.

Cons

Changing (not in a good way) company culture, poor work-life balance, constant change in leadership and objectives.

Advice to Management

Choose leaders based on their talents and abilities rather than your personal biases and politics.

Gilead Sciences2019-05-25
  7. "Good Place to work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences for less than a year

Pros

Good Work life Balance , based on your group though

Cons

None as of now atleast

Gilead Sciences2019-05-28

"Lots of politics and bureaucracy. Dysfunctional leadership and unfairness with titles and promotions."

Current Employee - Clinical Ops in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great place to get experience. -Great benefits and perks.

Cons

-No fair process with promotions and leveling. People with little to no experiences are placed in higher titles than those with more experiences. You’d think that there would be a “standard,” however there isn’t. -Promotions are slow. Favorites and brown-nosers will get promoted even if they do little work. -Wages are low and not at market rate compared to other companies. -No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Look at the experiences and work of your employees and reevaluate their titles. You are losing talented and hard working individuals due to the unfairness of promotions and lack of acknowledgment from senior management for those that deserve it. Pay your clinical team market rate.

Gilead Sciences2019-04-17

"Pretty seriously dysfunctional IT (worldwide infrastructure) organization"

Former Contractor - Project Manager/Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gilead Sciences for more than 8 years

Pros

Good tools for collaboration and incident management. Well-defined processes for training, system validation and document management. Very good work-life balance in that contractors are left to manage themselves (I saw many members of QA teams arriving at 10am and leaving at 4pm. That HAS to translate into work-life balance, right?)

Cons

Messy organization with too much reliance on contractors that are not given the necessary insights to complete work with confidence or autonomy. Managers are too busy to do in-depth knowledge transfer and don't have it as a best practice to clearly orient individuals to tasks up front and communicate success criteria. Roles and responsibilities are fluid on project teams to the point where every team does everything differently, no one knows who anyone else is, and balls are easily dropped. One example is where I was assigned to a project in which no one could point me to the necessary background information. I ended up unable to work independently for any phase of the project because every step required someone to hold my hand - literally sitting in a room with a team. I'd be told, "You're responsible for this Deliverable X", and no one would even explain what Deliverable X was, its purpose or where I could find more information about it. There is poor enforcement of process when there is process. I would be assigned some very high-level pie in the sky goal (e.g. "create a process around this that drives up accountability" and with no further guidance, no opportunity to observe the problem statement, I was left to make a solution where I had no in-depth view into the problem. Watch Catch 22 and you will find a very fitting analogy for the style of management within their leadership, at least within the worldwide infrastructure organization I was in. Unfortunately, I've been a consultant for over 20 years and have never seen this level of absurdity and "setting up for failure" prior to my time at Gilead. Contractors are treated like warm bodies who are assigned to tasks indiscriminately regardless of skillset. I ended up having to quit because the place was driving me crazy.

Advice to Management

It's not that there is very low organizational maturity. Senior management is fairly fluent in the language of capability maturity models. They are just very poor on delivery. It's all generals and cadets, not many lieutenants, captains and colonels. Even the Project Managers don't know what's going on and end up asking other unknowledgable contractors to give them the orientation they should have received from above. Create processes and roll them out with good OCM. Hire more process-minded individuals who can acquire enough depth of knowledge and provide individual context that they can share it with individual contributors, or teach management to have the discipline to stop and perform a check-step to ensure people have a strong sense of what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Gilead Sciences2019-04-16

"Nice People, BAD CULTLURE"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are wonderful. They pay well and I love the mission of the company.

Cons

The culture is terrible! They try to promote work life balance but the majority of the company is contractors who are over worked and poorly communicated to. They churn and burn people out of the business because of this and it's very frustrating. You want it to be great and work but it just doesn't. Managers are very nit-picky and micro-manage. Just a bit too precious.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs and stop finding the smallest issue and making it a mountain.

Gilead Sciences2019-02-27

"Think Twice...thrice and dont ruin your life"

Current Employee - Domain Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just a big Pharma Name to get on your resume. Good Benefits - but with poor work life balance you never enjoy life!

Cons

MAny...Many.. Very poor upper management, Micro managers, Poor direction leading to project failures and then contractors are blamed and fired.. Lot of blame game, too much scrutiny on when to speak what, poor business relations with cross departments, Bullying attitude. Just combine everythinga nd imagine bringing the load back home everyday after work. If you are considering joining Gilead, its not as good as it sounds from outside. You will Join, and realize later. I fell in this trap, looking for way out soon before I ruin my mental peace permanently. Crazy work place. Stay away, there are better pharmas out there to grow your career and enjoy life as well. Everybody works like dogs. Contractors are treated like slaves. There is so much difference just with what color badge you hold. Contractors have no say and often scolded to express their opinion. well, atleast give direction or provide guidance on what is expected. NOt speaking for myself but my fellow contractors who are treated so badly.

Advice to Management

Change your outlook and move along with the world. Hire better managers and don't make every new hire do the work according to "Gilead Way" which is directionless and clueless. Let new hires bring their energy on the table, and while not everything can be changes, there should be a listening ear and let the employee grow.

Gilead Sciences2019-02-16