Gilfus Education Group Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilfus Education Group CEO Stephen Gilfus
Stephen Gilfus

"Passion and Perfection"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart People. Great industry. Incredible connections. VERY passionate about what they do. Young and growing company. Seasoned leaders. Good opportunity to grow. Huge exploding industry.

Cons

Long hours. Always ON. Management Consulting so very little home time. Make sure you align yourself with one of the core management team.

Advice to Management

I had to leave due to a personal issue, nothing to do with the company. Maybe more support. Somteimes it feels like we need more people on projects.

"Astonishingly unprofessional."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most definitely an exciting industry and there are some innovative thinkers affiliated with GEG. The work is interesting.

Cons

While I would say the experience ignited my interest in a number of areas, I found the day to day working experience beyond appalling. If you are an inexperienced newcomer to consulting, you might think this is what professional consulting looks like. Fundamentals like prompt payment (salary and expenses) and respect (saying what you mean and meaning what you say) are not a given. It was a culture of gross distrust, threats, fear and one of smoke and mirrors. Because it is a very small organization, there is an attempt to broadcast an air of significance and relevance that is absolutely absent in the day to day life. The organization is very flat. There is one manager: The CEO. he regularly overrides decisions made at any other level so it becomes nearly impossible to function without his specific involvement. Rather than cultivating the talent that is attracted to the organization, the job becomes to both read the mind of the CEO and to recite his thoughts and beliefs. I learned early on that since his name is on every document, it has to represent his point of view. This is not what makes for a great consulting career. I learned a lot while i was there, but I truly believe it was in spite of the organization, not because of it. I saw opportunity after opportunity (of the individuals who worked there) squandered because of the CEO's inability to trust.. This is not a place to go to build a career. It is a place to stop on the way to one.

Advice to Management

Build your staff up, rather than tear them down. If your expectation is that your staff will sabotage you, you seal your own fate. Free sodas? C'mon. It's 2012 and this isn't a team of caffeine dependent programmers. Cultivate their strengths rather than make them into something else. Visionary leaders rally people to charge the hill. Good leaders inspire and reward. This was an experience of being whipped into submission and made to feel bad. it was always about how honored employees should be to work there, as opposed to what a great contribution a team or individual had made. What great organization uses that as a model?