Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Baker

Pros
  • Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role (in 17 reviews)

• One of the good benefits is the employee discount although its restricted from the really really good stuff (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think the one thing that stands out is the lack of work life balance in all areas of the organization (in 19 reviews)

• Little room for growth and no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Use to be a creative, entrepreneurial minded, cut-through-the-red-tape and get the work done swiftly.

Cons

HBC buyout diminished ingenuity of culture! So sad, was an amazing concept and company.

Advice to Management

Operate more like LVMH, let each company flourish on it's own.

"Lost sight of the forest through the trees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great work environment,
    Used to have great benefits and opportunities for growth. Hopefully they still have a chance to bring back these qualities in the coming year.

Cons

Since being acquired all focus has been out towards cost savings measures, they have put no effort toward retaining the talent that has made the company a success in the first place.

Advice to Management

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing every day and expecting different results.

Value the humans who are coming in to work for you everyday, start to foster growth and advancement on your teams and allocating them the resources necessary to do their jobs before it is too late.

3. "No Room for New Blood"

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Passionate, incredibly intelligent colleagues.
    - Eagerness to innovate and get ideas off the ground.
    - Fast-paced environment.

Cons

- Rampant favoritism/nepotism: legacy employees and managers will sooner listen to colleagues with whom they already have established relationships than newer members of the team.
    - Management stubborn/resistant to feedback.
    - Very blame-oriented, rather than solution-oriented culture. When something goes wrong, people will spend so much time trying to find the culprit, rather than working to address the issue at hand.
    - No work-life balance - no matter how hard you work do get your work done on your own terms and make room for your personal life (busy season or not), it never seems to be enough.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing new talent away. Your nepotism and defensive attitudes are pushing talented new hires away to companies that will value their input and ideas.

"Was great . . . Now it's not."

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing time off policy, great cross banner discount, some nice people

Cons

Awful management, low pay, rigorous work schedule, terrible upper management, grunt work. Gilt used to have an amazing corporate culture, but it lost it once it was acquired by HBC. It's a very clique-y environment.

Advice to Management

This could take a while.

"Too good to be true!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

When I first came to Gilt, I really liked it and had high hopes. The job was easy (receiving), I the people were cool and I moved up quickly.

Cons

Once I became full-time, I realized that everything I thought was too good to be true. The nepotism is so strong with this company, it's ridiculous. You do not have to be a hard worker to be favored either. Employees are unappreciated, the pay isn't that good and they ignore what employees tell them in their "voice of the employee" surveys. I also really dislike being lied to and treated as though I'm ignorant and incompetent. I am very capable and care about my work. I had to stop caring so that I wouldn't go mad! They are also very sneaky. If they know who they want to get a certain position, they won't tell other applicants about their interviews until the day of so that you wouldn't be prepared (resume) - I keep copies in my car. I'm currently looking for a different job. They need to reconsider how they're doing business, an unhappy employee makes for a less caring/productive one and ultimately, the company suffers. I hate feeling this way about a job I once loved. I dread coming in everyday and I will never work here again...

Advice to Management

Listen to your team! Don't let favoritism between shifts go under the rug. If someone is a hard worker and wants to take on more responsibility and move up, give them that opportunity before you lose then altogether because it will happen. There is a very good reason why the turnover rate is so high. Also, do not talk down to your team. You cannot demand someone's respect after being disrespectful to them, that is childish!!

"Gilt Groupe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting place to work, no 2 days are the same.

Cons

There is no support for people doing the hard work, management quickly takes credit when things go right and will not hesitate to throw you in front of a speeding train when things go wrong.

Advice to Management

Work life balance is none existent. No one will go above and beyond when they are overworked and undervalued!!!

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Senior Curator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Curator in Washington, DC

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits plus clothes allowance to shop on site. Salaries are high but the commission is very hard to hit

Cons

Horrible management and lots of turn over. If they don't like you they can you regardless of performance. Plus the managers take credit for your work.

"in peril"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount
    unlimited vacation policy
    good equipment and work environment
    people are genuinely nice comparing to other fashion companies
    used to have lots of meetup events

Cons

incompetent leaders blind by vanity metrics
    lost focus on where this company is going
    takes forever to fix something so obvious and critical
    innovation is hindered by lots of politics and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

stop talking, start doing. shouldn't take you a year to realize this company is in danger

"You get what you pay for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, vacation policy, and jobs are not very difficult or demanding.

Cons

Extremely high turn over, inexperienced managers and employees, very disorganized and unprofessional work environment. Very cheap with their resources and employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in experienced work force and value your current employees. Also, pick managers with experience in the area they need to be supervising.

"Must be SHADY to work for Gilt"

Current Employee - Customer Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in New York, NY

Pros

decent pay, relaxed dress code, nice free treats in employee kitchen.

Cons

Having to field Numerous complaints about the goods that Gilt provided and not being able to offer resolutions. Just google their customer reviews.

Advice to Management

Focus more on quality customer service and not just the quantity of the calls answered.