Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Baker

Pros
  • Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role (in 17 reviews)

• One of the good benefits is the employee discount although its restricted from the really really good stuff (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think the one thing that stands out is the lack of work life balance in all areas of the organization (in 19 reviews)

• Little room for growth and no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Lost sight of the forest through the trees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great work environment,
    Used to have great benefits and opportunities for growth. Hopefully they still have a chance to bring back these qualities in the coming year.

Cons

Since being acquired all focus has been out towards cost savings measures, they have put no effort toward retaining the talent that has made the company a success in the first place.

Advice to Management

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing every day and expecting different results.

Value the humans who are coming in to work for you everyday, start to foster growth and advancement on your teams and allocating them the resources necessary to do their jobs before it is too late.

2. "Sinking Ship"

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, interesting people.

Cons

Culture of negativity. Whenever a problem arises, rather than attempt to constructively work together to find solutions, attempts are made to find a culprit and punish them. Most changes to policy tend to be the solution in search of a problem variety, and as such, the departments get less efficient as time goes on. Management does not trust its own staff to provide insight into challenges facing the department and company.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be the same to anyone working there: leave and find employement elsewhere at a company that values input from its staff.

3. "No Room for New Blood"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Passionate, incredibly intelligent colleagues.
    - Eagerness to innovate and get ideas off the ground.
    - Fast-paced environment.

Cons

- Rampant favoritism/nepotism: legacy employees and managers will sooner listen to colleagues with whom they already have established relationships than newer members of the team.
    - Management stubborn/resistant to feedback.
    - Very blame-oriented, rather than solution-oriented culture. When something goes wrong, people will spend so much time trying to find the culprit, rather than working to address the issue at hand.
    - No work-life balance - no matter how hard you work do get your work done on your own terms and make room for your personal life (busy season or not), it never seems to be enough.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing new talent away. Your nepotism and defensive attitudes are pushing talented new hires away to companies that will value their input and ideas.

5. "Horrible Management"

Pros

Good Perks- Discounts on HBC banners, beautiful office views

Cons

Horrible management. Everything is so unprofessional. HR is dishonest as well. Little room for growth and no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train your employees and make sure they are happy.

"Was great . . . Now it's not."

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing time off policy, great cross banner discount, some nice people

Cons

Awful management, low pay, rigorous work schedule, terrible upper management, grunt work. Gilt used to have an amazing corporate culture, but it lost it once it was acquired by HBC. It's a very clique-y environment.

Advice to Management

This could take a while.

7. "Good only as a stepping stone, not good for career development"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Limerick, Co. Limerick (Ireland)

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very easy to make friends, they really promote this from day one and everyone is really friendly.
    -Great place to learn new, small skills
    -Open plan office
    -Relaxed kitchen area with couches & TV, fully stocked fridge of cans of coke, 7up, etc.
    -Fantastic health insurance scheme with Laya
    -Good employee discount
    -Close to UL, ideal for nearby students looking for a part time job

Cons

-High stats do not matter if you've been out sick a handful of times, they will hold this against you if you ever want to progress even when your work is spectacular (e.g. can be denied even full time hours because of this but will then be hounded for additional hours/overtime
    -Management on occasion come in 5/10 minutes later than when their shift is meant to start, but will reprimand employees for being 1 minute late.
    -Pay is quite low compared to other call centers in the city. Also no real promotions and only offering responsibilities on top of CS role

Advice to Management

Please please please take these reviews into account and do not disregard them as disgruntled past employees. Your employees need to be advocates for Gilt but only when they feel like they matter. It is wonderful that there are areas to gain skills in, but it is insulting when you rave about the growth of the company when CS reps are in the same bottom-of-the-food-chain role at the end of the day with no remuneration. People are leaving for better-paying jobs with better prospects and workplaces where they feel like they matter. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORKS. Please learn the importance of rewards - offering responsibilities as development opportunities can be useful for personal development but not a stepping stone for anyone's career - since you don't provide character references these "opportunities" are essentially useless to us when we leave because we have no one to confirm that we even did any of these things as HR will only confirm our dates of employment, and our role as Customer Service Specialist on our contract.
    Also: Stop pushing your agents into calls without warning. They are people, not just bodies to fill seats. Think about it if people started blind transferring escalated calls to you.

"No Thanks"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Limerick, Co. Limerick (Ireland)

I have been working at Gilt Groupe part-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Free sodas and fruit.

Cons

All the supes care about is hiding as far away as possible and their phones while stressed specialists have to do their work. One supe told me she doesn't take escalations and to get rid of the member on my own.

Weekends are the worst. No one wants to do them so there is never enough staff. You are constantly pushed calls and not allowed to ask questions.

HR team is the most unhelpful I've ever come across. You can't meet them and they don't respond to emails.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of specialists and start treating everyone with respect. Do your own jobs!

Give more training.

"Limerick Office Going Downhill"

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Some great people. Lovely office. Huge potential.

Cons

CS agent are given the "opportunity" to contribute to reporting and analysis, skills that are far above their pay grade, but yet are given no extra monetary compensation or any recognition.
    Senior CS agents are being let walk out the door to other opportunities as Gilt are too cheap to increase their pay and seem to have the attitude that everyone is replaceable.
    Instead of hiring qualified managers externally, Gilt has opted to hire unqualified, inexperienced CS agents and did not train them effectively and as a result there is a management divide and poor management in general.

Advice to Management

Need a complete overhaul and retraining of CS management.
    Equal opportunities for CS agents.
    Fairer pay, particularly for those who do have extra responsibility

"Too good to be true!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

When I first came to Gilt, I really liked it and had high hopes. The job was easy (receiving), I the people were cool and I moved up quickly.

Cons

Once I became full-time, I realized that everything I thought was too good to be true. The nepotism is so strong with this company, it's ridiculous. You do not have to be a hard worker to be favored either. Employees are unappreciated, the pay isn't that good and they ignore what employees tell them in their "voice of the employee" surveys. I also really dislike being lied to and treated as though I'm ignorant and incompetent. I am very capable and care about my work. I had to stop caring so that I wouldn't go mad! They are also very sneaky. If they know who they want to get a certain position, they won't tell other applicants about their interviews until the day of so that you wouldn't be prepared (resume) - I keep copies in my car. I'm currently looking for a different job. They need to reconsider how they're doing business, an unhappy employee makes for a less caring/productive one and ultimately, the company suffers. I hate feeling this way about a job I once loved. I dread coming in everyday and I will never work here again...

Advice to Management

Listen to your team! Don't let favoritism between shifts go under the rug. If someone is a hard worker and wants to take on more responsibility and move up, give them that opportunity before you lose then altogether because it will happen. There is a very good reason why the turnover rate is so high. Also, do not talk down to your team. You cannot demand someone's respect after being disrespectful to them, that is childish!!

"Poor Management"

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and interesting people to work with.

Cons

Very low pay, management treats new hires like they are a burden to train, very limited growth and minimal respect