Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated April 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role (in 17 reviews)

• One of the good benefits is the employee discount although its restricted from the really really good stuff (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think the one thing that stands out is the lack of work life balance in all areas of the organization (in 19 reviews)

• Little room for growth and no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Too good to be true!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

When I first came to Gilt, I really liked it and had high hopes. The job was easy (receiving), I the people were cool and I moved up quickly.

Cons

Once I became full-time, I realized that everything I thought was too good to be true. The nepotism is so strong with this company, it's ridiculous. You do not have to be a hard worker to be favored either. Employees are unappreciated, the pay isn't that good and they ignore what employees tell them in their "voice of the employee" surveys. I also really dislike being lied to and treated as though I'm ignorant and incompetent. I am very capable and care about my work. I had to stop caring so that I wouldn't go mad! They are also very sneaky. If they know who they want to get a certain position, they won't tell other applicants about their interviews until the day of so that you wouldn't be prepared (resume) - I keep copies in my car. I'm currently looking for a different job. They need to reconsider how they're doing business, an unhappy employee makes for a less caring/productive one and ultimately, the company suffers. I hate feeling this way about a job I once loved. I dread coming in everyday and I will never work here again...

Advice to Management

Listen to your team! Don't let favoritism between shifts go under the rug. If someone is a hard worker and wants to take on more responsibility and move up, give them that opportunity before you lose then altogether because it will happen. There is a very good reason why the turnover rate is so high. Also, do not talk down to your team. You cannot demand someone's respect after being disrespectful to them, that is childish!!

"Once hot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was great while it lasted. I'm not sure the tech team commands the respect it once did, but there's still some great talent there to learn from.

Cons

The future of the company is uncertain. The business is very difficult when competing against companies like Amazon with ridiculous scale.

3. "Awesome experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparta, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparta, NJ

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest group of people I've had the pleasure to work with. Great team environment and a true passion to build something amazing.

Cons

Very tough to make profitable....continuous focus on cost reductions can get tedious. Industry is very competitive and negatively affected company value.

Advice to Management

It was a great run working there, and HBC got a great deal.

"Gilt Groupe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting place to work, no 2 days are the same.

Cons

There is no support for people doing the hard work, management quickly takes credit when things go right and will not hesitate to throw you in front of a speeding train when things go wrong.

Advice to Management

Work life balance is none existent. No one will go above and beyond when they are overworked and undervalued!!!

6. "Great Environment"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone there is very nice and the environments is very welcoming and you right right in. You are respected but the upper management and they really care about your feedback of the company and future improvements. Weekly meetings so you can know what the state of the company is.

Cons

Non-stop work. You will never go home and this job will consume you.

Advice to Management

More work life balance.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Fun work and very intelligent people

Cons

Dissfunctional executive team
    Nepotism
    Promotions decided based on personal relationships and not meritocracy
    Very high attrition, specially among the most talented ones

Advice to Management

Take the employee surveys seriously and take action (let go) against those leaders who have created such a toxic and unproductive environment.

"Gilt Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, especially if you started from the beginning. Lots of learning, lots of hands on experience

Cons

Poor management. Mid level managers block growth.

9. "I reccomend it"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room to grow if you're hungry and entrepreneurial. People are trusted to get their work done.

Cons

The company moves extremely quickly which can be frustrating when the course is changed in the middle of a project.

Advice to Management

Great product offering are necessary.

"Better Off Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

Pros

The company offers competitive benefits, unlimited vacation days for salaried employees, a discount on site merchandise, and flexibility to work from home on occasion.

Cons

Gilt offers no work-life balance and emails are expected to be addressed immediately day or night, even when they are non-urgent. Roles are not backfilled promptly, if at all, so the strain of additional work is just spread around every time another person leaves. Taking sick days means that you end up working from home. Turnover is abundant, and morale is low.

Advice to Management

Fix the structure of the company before focusing on the customer experience. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you can't fix the user experience without having a staff of engaged employees who aren't trying to leave.

11. "Great Opportunity to Learn!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- career paths that evolve based on your interests and strengths
    - exposure to Exec team and really partnering with them on critical projects.
    - dedication to innovation
    - close knit teams with solid relationships that last outside of the office

Cons

- clear understanding of the direction/strategic direction of the company

Advice to Management

reward and recognize your high potential employees