Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • One of the good benefits is the employee discount although its restricted from the really really good stuff (in 16 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think the one thing that stands out is the lack of work life balance in all areas of the organization (in 17 reviews)

• Being a start-up, it was long hours at times (in 10 reviews)

"Gilt Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, especially if you started from the beginning. Lots of learning, lots of hands on experience

Cons

Poor management. Mid level managers block growth.

2. "I love working here."

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Gilt 3 months ago and could not say better things about working here.

The business is doubling down on focusing on profitability and working through operational retail points of weakness as we focus on improving the customer shopping experience.

I look at the fact that we have a steady revenue base, customers who love our merchandise and brands, and strong leaders across the business.

Cons

The company has had to downsize recently, which has been tough. Those who are leaving are incredibly talented and won't have problems finding new roles. The experience at Gilt is worth the risk, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Double down on fixing what our customers are telling us is preventing them from shopping with us more.

"Better Off Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

Pros

The company offers competitive benefits, unlimited vacation days for salaried employees, a discount on site merchandise, and flexibility to work from home on occasion.

Cons

Gilt offers no work-life balance and emails are expected to be addressed immediately day or night, even when they are non-urgent. Roles are not backfilled promptly, if at all, so the strain of additional work is just spread around every time another person leaves. Taking sick days means that you end up working from home. Turnover is abundant, and morale is low.

Advice to Management

Fix the structure of the company before focusing on the customer experience. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you can't fix the user experience without having a staff of engaged employees who aren't trying to leave.

5. "I reccomend it"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room to grow if you're hungry and entrepreneurial. People are trusted to get their work done.

Cons

The company moves extremely quickly which can be frustrating when the course is changed in the middle of a project.

Advice to Management

Great product offering are necessary.

6. "Great Opportunity to Learn!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- career paths that evolve based on your interests and strengths
    - exposure to Exec team and really partnering with them on critical projects.
    - dedication to innovation
    - close knit teams with solid relationships that last outside of the office

Cons

- clear understanding of the direction/strategic direction of the company

Advice to Management

reward and recognize your high potential employees

"Stay away."

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

some people are extremely nice; great discounts + lots of free snacks. office is pretty conveniently located near the 6 train.

Cons

a recent round of layoffs has all but destroyed morale which was already terrible to start with. (people crying in the halls, etc.) making that even worse, a series of promotions from within has ensured that there are people in high positions throughout the organization who are completely unqualified for such positions - but it all comes down to politics and favoritism. (if you really look at the job backgrounds of some people at VP level and above, you can see the major problem - so many have been promoted way beyond their competency levels.) upper mgmt is frequently combative, disconnected, and beyond that, some of them are volatile and erratic. the business is struggling and there is no clear direction as to how to fix it. if you do take a job here, expect a very high-stress environment and plenty of weekend emails. it's 24/7. forget work-life balance. also, the blame game (senior employees throwing more junior ones under the bus) has always been huge here, but now it's worse than ever. it used to be an excellent place to work, but it's become dismally bad. avoid.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Senior Curator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Curator in Washington, DC

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits plus clothes allowance to shop on site. Salaries are high but the commission is very hard to hit

Cons

Horrible management and lots of turn over. If they don't like you they can you regardless of performance. Plus the managers take credit for your work.

9. "LOVE working here - amazing - get stuff done- environment"

Current Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Smart ambitious engaged people working here. Very collaborative culture - fast paced and efficient. Focused and strategic.

Cons

nothing that i can think of right now

Advice to Management

thumbs up all around

10. "Good Company"

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Good benefits and comfortable work enviornment

Cons

Still getting up to speed since moving operations from NYC.

11. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Gilt Groupe for a number of years and really enjoyed my time there. It was a fast-paced, changing work environment, which is not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.

The people I worked with were great-smart and dedicated. It has a young office, but people are passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The hours are long and there can be a lot of change. I enjoyed it, but I know others who struggled with it. You definitely need the right personality to fit in.