Girl Scouts USA Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Sylvia Acevedo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Overworked; low work /life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management isn't always in sync with the front line employees (in 40 reviews)

1. "GSNI"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unfortunately nothing comes to mind

Cons

-Upper management likes to yell at the employees under them if they don't do what they like.
    -Upper management will also shovel on different jobs they need done for them before a set date.
    -Upper management doesn't really know their customers.
    -Getting a raise is harder than getting into college.
    -People will take credit for your work and blame you for their failures.
    -They except you to pay for a membership out of your own pocket.
    -Upper management is always right and you are always wrong.
    -different cliques within the council, it's like being in high school.
    -revolving door for employees

Advice to Management

Do the jobs of your "lowest" employees. Not for an hour but a full week. Also look at all the facts before you point your finger to blame someone.

2. "Engagement Manager"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Working with girls, going out into the community.

Cons

Major favoritism among leadership, rules are not enforced if you are friends with the directors. Employees that have been there for a long time try to bully new employees. MAJOR turnover rates- everyone leaves because they get tired of the lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what happens out on the field, focus on employee strengths and STOP with the favoritism.

"Do not value employees"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Nationally recognized organization with a girl focused mission.

Cons

Extremely top down management. Do not value employees. Work Life Balance is virtually non existent with expectation of working 2 or 3 nights per week, 12 hour days, 60 or more hours per week in a vain attempt to meet unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Set reasonable expectations, value the employees you have and listen to their feedback.

4. "Recruitment Specialist @ Badgerland Council, WI"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The compensation package is OK. Mileage compensation for travel.

Cons

Inexperienced, out of touch engagement who do not value their employees or understand the challenges they face in the field. As a life long Girl Scout, I was shocked at the dishonesty, poor planning, mismanagement of limited resources on the part of Badgerland leadership. Fairly often, when recruitment campaigns were unsuccessful (because the methods the council used are out dated and ineffective in many of the communities they serve), C-level leadership was in the habit of bullying staff to quit so that they would not need to provide unemployment. Everyone that was in my department when I started was gone before I had even worked a year. Membership staff were contracted at 39 hours a week with flex-time available for additional hours worked. During busy membership campaigns, we'd average around 50-60 hours, which would be fine if management would approve flex-time we had accrued, but, you guessed it, they did not. Moreover, I was required to take over all of the work of 3 other employees that quit, without any additional training or compensation.

Advice to Management

Maintaining a "if you don't like it, leave" attitude with staff is no longer functional. If you have more than 50% annual turn over, there is a culture problem. Additionally, during the interview process, be honest about the amount of travel and evening/weekend hours that will be required.

5. "This is a review for GS of CT Hartford only."

Pros

I am happy to think that I made a difference in 1 life of the girls I worked with.

Cons

Working at this company was the worst experience of my life. My manager was clear about playing favorites and was even inappropriate. I had to report her to H.R. When I was there the girls were not to be in the building.

6. "Great organization, bad work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Girl Scouts is an amazing organization that helps girls and adults build leadership qualities and find communuty. I recommend becoming a member 1000%!!! Some of my coworkers were smart, passionate women who tried their best to make the world a better place.

Cons

Girl Scouts San Diego was a very negative place to work that made me switch from working at nonprofits to for-profit. Management treats people in lower pay brackets as expendable and not worthy of respect. Some managers in particular make working there a living nightmare, and although plenty of complaints and statements have been filed those people continue to act in a contemptible manner. I've never worked harder at a job to garner so little basic politeness. It's been over a year since I left but remember clearly that feeling of dread about going to work every day.

If you're going to work for little money for a good cause, this is not the place to do it.

Advice to Management

Please treat people as valuable coworkers, don't lie to people especially to their face, fulfill your job respinsibilities, please follow the Girl Scout Promise & Law (althought it is clear you have never read them)

"Don't work at the Mableton, GA location!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mableton, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mableton, GA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The morals and values of the company.

Cons

Very clique-ish. If they don't like you, or if you don't mesh well with your department, they will give you a crappy excuse to terminate you.

Advice to Management

Actually make sure information provided from "managers" is factual. Go further to investigate hear say situations.

8. "Follow your own mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Mission, great vacation package.

Cons

I was a girl scout growing up and although I am over qualified for this position I was called to this job because I wanted to make a difference, with that being said I have been treated like absolute dirt. Not only am I under paid but my manager screams at me and HR does nothing but backs her up. I have done nothing but exceed every expectation that has been laid out for me and have in return been aggressively abused in the workplace. If offered a position to work here I suggest taking literally ANY OTHER JOB.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the abusive monsters you have working for your or stop claiming to be a "women's organization".

"I lost my trust in the Girl Scout organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home, if needed, work with some great volunteers and a public that is supportive, the smiles on girls faces when they are given the chance to thrive

Cons

Constant push for cookies sales and Fall Product sales without regard to volunteer and girl time spent.
    Lack of money for volunteers to provide adequate girl opportunities because funding is spent more on trying to impress the elite than on girl memberships and activities.
    Upper management cares only about numbers and winning recognition from GSUSA corporate.
    Major complaints and corruption within council is brushed under the carpet so as not to bring negative attention to council.
    Benefits and pay does not commensurate with knowledge and experience. Those willing to work hard are rewarded with more hard work.
    Word of advice? Run as far away as you can. I failed to listen to the online reviews and fully regret my decision. As a former Girl Scout, this organization tainted my view of the Girl Scout program and what it used to stand for.

Advice to Management

GSUSA needs to take a closer look at decisions being made, speak to former employees about why there is such a high turn around, and clean house!

"Good luck with advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, the girls, what girl scouts is meant to be

Cons

Dont even bother applying here unless you have a parent in upper management. It seems that children of upper management keep advancing despite their lack of experience taking these jobs from more qualified applicants.

Advice to Management

Please check the hiring methodologies your organization is using. Very unethical practices where you dont advance unless you are related to someone important there.