Girl Scouts USA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Sylvia Acevedo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Overworked; low work /life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management isn't always in sync with the front line employees (in 38 reviews)

"Disappointing"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some people are truly sincere, work hard and are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Insufficient resources, inflated expectations, unprofessional staff in particularly unfortunate places, near constant turnover.

Advice to Management

Please consider reading your own curriculum.

"Good non-profit to have on your resume for a first job but don't expect to stay longer than a year."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn basic office skills but very little growth or development opportunities.

Cons

Poor inter and intra department communication or overall organization. Poor compensation for sole earner families or someone living on their own. Very little opportunity to move up in the organization.

Advice to Management

Work on better internal communication and cooperation.

"When Yesterday becomes Tomorrow!! BUYERS BEWARE"

Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Girl Scouts has some of the most committed and dedicated volunteers than any other organization on EARTH. 95% of our workforce is volunteer based (unpaid) workers who put the company and the girls it serves before themselves!

Cons

Since it's mass lay off in 2013-15 the organization has been struggling for consistency in defining and maintaining a clear IDENTITY: vision of where it wants to go, where it can go, what it is capable of accomplishing and most importantly how to create a resilient organizational structure and pathway to credibility… because of the following reasons:
    1. OLD vs. NEW: To start with, the company has been without a CEO for almost 3 years! And survivors of lay-offs from 2013-15 are very guarded and loyal to one another against “the newbies.” I have seen many people who joined the company get fired after 9 months and told “they were NOT A GOD FIT.” Many times, it’s the old guard cooking up this line and using it to oust these people and the worst part is “EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS INCLUDING HR WHO TELLS THE VICTIMS.. SORRY BUT, WE HEARD YOU WERE NOT A GOOD FIT”
    2. HR is COMPLACENT: They know there is a HUGE mismatch between the old house culture & clicks (Pre-lay off culture) and the ‘ideals’ the new leadership wants to instill and promote. They don’t care to follow through once they bring you in, and will only show up when you are given extended probation (i.e. warning number #1 from Old guard managers telling you that “WE NOTICE YOU ARE NOT FITTING IN” after 3 months; warning NUMBER #2 “you are still NOT FITTING IN” after 6 months; warning number #3, “you are still NOT FITTING IN after 9 months; YOU ARE FIRED).
    3. MICROMANAGE AND OUST: With the exception of teams headed by ‘NEWBIES’, each team is headed by a micro-Manager (old guard) who insists on doing EVERYTHING the (old) GS way. You must ‘put up and shut up’ and or will be ousted for “NOT UNDERSTANDING WHERE YOU ARE = YOU DON’T FIT IN…”
    4. “YESTERDAY becomes tomorrow” - Time and time again, the organization is run by older ladies (i.e. board, senior management, mid-level management, etc.) who are former Girl Scouts and are only interested in replicating their own experiences from 1904. They are OUT OF TOUCH with MILLENNIAL MOMS, DADS, GIRLS and WOMEN born post 1979.

Advice to Management

1. HR LEADERSHIP is INCOMPETENT: time and time again, I see HR making ABSOLUTELY zero attempt to ask newbies getting fired their side of the story. We all see them get hacked and HR only comes to the table to FULLY agree with managers’ observation: ‘FIRING HER because she DOES NOT FIT IN’. My advice: if you are not interested in bringing in fresh perspectives, and only and exclusively care to salute the old ways of doing business and old guard caprices… don’t bother bringing in new people!
    2. WITH OLD LADIES IN CHARGE: young minds are better off working at YMCA, BOYS& GIRLS CLUB and other places that really care about GIRLS! NO WONDER YOU ARE LOSING MEMBERSHIP AMONG MILLENIALS (15% per year and growing!!!!!)
    3. DIVERSITY: Diversity isn’t only about race. Hello!! It’s also about allowing for fresh / outside ideas and perspectives and experiences that allow young employees and newbies (‘WHO DON’T FIT and are canned by PROBATION Month#9) to speak their mind and breathe new life into the business, which is OLD and slowly perishing at the life of OLD GUARD and Grannies!

"Great mission but not great internal execution"

Former Employee - Events in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Events in Chicago, IL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission and spirit of the mission are awesome. There is also a cool new focus on updating the organization to focus on all sorts of activities (STEM, Financial Literacy, etc) rather than just camping and cookies. There is also some great mid-level talent.

Cons

Very disorganized and chaotic. Time is wasted all the time. There is a lot of "managing up." Great talent is driven away.

Advice to Management

Take a careful look at who should really stay and who should go. Streamline processes to save time. Make real plans and execute them.

"Male = less pay"

Pros

Gave ample training. Most people are friendly. Their cause is a noble one. Good personal time off days, holidays, and benifits.

Cons

Not appreciated. Told several times (email copies/smile file) they couldn't do what I could do and thanked me, but when review time came I was told to give my self evaluation at 2's. When i submitted my self evaluation at fours and fives, I was denied a pay raise. As a male you get paid less than female counter part and aren't treated equally. Also, there are too many meetings, I've been in, literally, meetings about meetings.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone in a creative position, let them be creative.

"It is a great stepping stone"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

This job has offered me an opportunity to meet many community members

Cons

It doesn't pay very well

7. "Good cause, poor distribution of duties"

Former Employee - Outdoor Education Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Outdoor Education Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a greater cause to encourage girls to find their way and their strengths with the help of volunteers in their community.

Cons

A lot of hours and a continually increasing work load without understanding or time allowances for the new workload. Poor structuring of management.

"A decent place to start."

Current Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist
    Current Employee - Girl Scout Membership Specialist

Pros

Gain a lot of experience to a certain point. Excellent medical and dental benefits.

Cons

Struggling to remain relevant. Lots of turnover because too much is expected from staff given the low pay. There is a "good old girls" club. Management style is antiquated. Limited growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Develop the staff that sticks with you and give real opportunities for growth. Stop micromanaging and keep your word.

"Specialist"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Helping girls grow. Seeing girls light up when they experience something new in life.

Cons

The organization needs to be better organized. Systems and processes change way too often.

Advice to Management

Have a better understanding of each of the councils and how they work and run their business.

"Girl Scouts: Great Mission, Poorly Executed"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like I make a difference in the lives of girls at camp. I travel a lot and get to meet lots of cool people. Autonomy.

Cons

All-women environment, gets catty quickly. Constantly fighting lack of resources. Poor work/life balance. Pay is unfair, considering volume of work being asked of employees.

Advice to Management

Trust is a two-way street. Provide actual on-boarding with specific skills training for various departments.