Girl Scouts USA Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Different every day"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job flexibility, work from home most days,lots of networking, working with community, meaningful work.

Cons

Last minute situations pop up situations. Helping supervise staff can be difficult. Lack of commitment from the staff you help supervise

Advice to Management

Communicate more

"Traditional"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as an intern

Pros

I got to help impact young girls and show them that they can be more than what gender roles tell them to be.

Cons

The management was very limiting, and they told me that "girls wouldn't be interested in that" when I was planning programs that were STEM and science related. It gave me the idea that some of the women who applied there were only there because they liked crafts, and felt threatened because I was trying to explain something different.

When I was finally allowed to lead a program myself, my manager was so bitter that I wanted to do a STEM based program that she did not help at all. Then, when things got chaotic because she wasn't helping with keeping the kids in check, she blamed the science aspect, saying it was too boring and basically "I told you so." Absolutely ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Empower girls to do anything, not just girly things like coloring or painting rocks, or doing other things that are found on Pinterest.

3. "great place to work just make sure you don't have ambition or need for money"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

This organization is a great place to work for flexible work environment and the family atmosphere. Not to mention you are making a difference.

Cons

The money salaries leave you needing a second job or second income in the house. There is not a lot of opportunity for advancement.

4. "Great Job, Great CEO at Citrus"

Current Employee - Membership Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for GSC is such a blessing! Not only do they offer a great benefits package as well as PTO and bonuses, but they make work fun! The CEO is constantly popping into meetings to deliver gifts and pep talks. I also love the flexibility that this council provides.

Cons

The schedule can get intense during the busy season. It's doable since it's only for two months but the impact made is well worth the time spent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything on track as you are. We are ready to be the best preforming council (against our own potentials) by 2020!

5. "Girl Scouts"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

To able to empower the young woman is the most gratifying experience.

Cons

Poor training. Whoever coordinates events, they should not coordinate events during cookie sales.

Advice to Management

GS should create a training portfolio to assure Troop Leaders have the proper training and necessities to fulfill the GS mission and values. Cookie Trainers should provide adequate training and assure leaders and product managers understand what they are really doing and the financial responsibility of cookies/products. Don't get me wrong, they do provide resources, but hands-on training is needed. The workshops are great, but it's still not enough. Help us lead with proper resources and training.

"Working for the Girl Scouts"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The hours and flexibility are truly helpful. Most of the people are easy to get along with and will always assist with a smile.

Cons

Too many managers and not enough people for all the work. Also, too much micromanaging happens and a lot of passing the blame for work not getting done on time. Very low employee moral; high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Find ways to boost employee moral.

7. "Community Engagement Specialist"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

I love working out in the field. I get to build my network and truly engage with the community.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are non conventional. Lots of early mornings and evenings during recruitment season.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to build a stronger sense of community within the organization and clear and defined roles. More professional development.

8. "DC office"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Hire young staffers, had fun sense of community

Cons

Huge staff turnover, poor management, low pay

Advice to Management

Get on the same page as other departments so no confusion, higher pay = less turnover

9. "Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Mission-driven organization making a true and vital impact on girls and the world

Cons

Too siloed and fragmented -- internally and externally

"Mixed emotions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and a lot of really dedicated people - who can argue with girls' leadership?
    Really good benefits, lots of vacation (25 days/year for exempt staff)
    Definitely trying to improve the organization and make it more appealing for younger staff.

Cons

Many departments seem to be completely disorganized with an overall lack of strategic direction.
    Poor money management and planning.
    Negative culture of distrust and power grabbing by senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Value your younger employees and welcome ideas, even when it's not "what we've always done."