Girl Scouts USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Overworked; low work /life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Dont even bother applying here unless you have a parent in upper management (in 36 reviews)

"Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma....Don't work there, its not worth the compensation or the stress."

Former Employee - Slave in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Slave in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Serving and helping the girls was the only reason. The hours were reasonable until I was asked to work weekend and evenings. With young children it was impossible.. Could not accommodate my managers wishes she did not like this and it caused tension between us.

Cons

everything, The upper management lies, and does whatever it takes to cover their own butts. I was watched like a hawk.. My lunches were monitored to the min, my boss had other associates call to see where I was all all times of the day!

Advice to Management

Get a life. The girls are the reason for this organization. Fire the ones who aren't doing their jobs so you can save money and use it else where.

"Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles offers good benefits, a decent starting salary, hardly any overtime, and most of the people there are very nice.

Cons

Boring office work, bad management. They hired me knowing that I needed extra training in certain skills, then dismissed me within three weeks for not having those skills, without giving me the training that they promised me.

Advice to Management

Do not make promises to new hires if you are not willing to keep them. It shows a lack of decency and integrity. If you promise to train them then do so, don't expect them to know what they need to know if you do follow through on your promise to train them.

"Not there for the girls"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

Great vacation package and decent/average pay. Get to participate in a fun tradition of helping girls develop their character and sef-esteem through a variety of programs.

Cons

Cliques, cliques, cliques. Definitely not a professional place to work; employees are not respected or treated like their opinions matter unless they fit in with the right members of the management team. Long hours that go unnoticed or accounted for. High level management all have their own personal agendas and appear to have no real interest in the GS program that employs them.

Advice to Management

Needs overhaul of senior level management staff.

"Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great Mission - building girls of courage, confidence and character
    Beautiful new LEED certified building
    Thanks to the former CFO/COO we now have a state-of-the-art technology backbone
    Great co-workers
    Love to be giving back

Cons

I think Ms. Midyette (the CEO) runs the place with an iron fist that is a far cry from the "honest and fair,
    friendly and helpful,considerate and caring... and responsible for what I say and do" of the Girl Scout Promise. Fear and intimidation seem to be the order of the day. It appears no detail is too small or too unimportant for her scrutiny. I have heard of documents which have been revised (by her) upwards of 20 times before release and 1 hour meetings that start at 4pm which go on for 4 to 5 hours
    All this attention to detail, of course takes time away from her real job which is fund-raising and community relations.

The pay is poor and the benefits the worst I've ever seen. Family health insurance coverage is nearly $1,000 per month.

Worst of all is the negative impact and cutbacks to the girl programs.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to wake up and open their eyes as to Ms. Midyette's (the CEOs) management style. Ask the employees for feedback on her as a CEO (anonymously - because they're all afraid for their jobs).

More importantly, check her calendar. See how many fund development meetings she's going on. Find out how much money she has (not) brought into the council.

Ask how much money Camp CEO brought in... and how much it cost. Find out how many girls were (not) clamoring for a place a the camp.

Find out how many employees are actually opting to cover their families under the council policy.

"The worst job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Average sick day and vacation acquisition, but Girl Scouts offered a nice selection of paid holidays. Low level employees were usually extremely helpful, knowledgeable and kind. Girl Scouts invested in decent office equipment and technical improvements. Offices were usually nice, clean and well appointed.

Cons

Girl Scouts had extremely high staff turnover, not only in entry-level positions, but even at the VP level and above. Senior management seemed more concerned with vanity (constantly giving themselves new titles, for instance) and about petty image issues rather than the organization's financial troubles. Sr. management do not promote from within. Pay was horrible, benefits were cut, and employees were encouraged to vote Republican if we wanted that to change. Management was often rude and disrespectful to assistants, and SDS specialists. This is easily the worst place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Senior management should make a sincere and concerted effort to change corporate culture to stem the hemorrhaging of employees. Employees should have a reasonable expectation that salaries and benefits will remain consistent for a year. Senior management should recruit and listen to younger employees, as much of the program focus seems dated.

"Avoid Girl Scouts of Middle TN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

I am a lifetime member of the Girl Scouts, and you should be too. The organization's dedication to the girls is amazing. The girls are encouraged to do things for themselves, including the fact that they raise 80% of the local council's operating funds. The salary for the Middle TN chapter is competitive compared to other local (TN) non-profits. The hours are family-friendly. Another big benefit is that they were willing to negotiate comp time after you've put in a grueling 80 hour week. (A lot of non-profits are stingy with comp time) Each local chapter has it's own management, so you may find a very different work environment in different states. Also (true of most non-profit jobs) many amazing co-workers.

Cons

I can only speak of the Middle TN chapter (gsmidtn.org):
    Job description was a joke. Was given a written job description that sounded challenging, but then told not to do most of the items in the job description. (Example job description said my position would run one of the advisory committees that advises the Board of Directors. But there was no committee in place and I was not allowed to form one, nor was I or the other staff welcome at Board meetings.) I should have crossed everything off the job description that sounded like a fun challenge. But the day-to-day boring parts were true!

Management team is very unstable: All the employees report to 5 or 6 leaders of senior management. The structure was constantly being adjusted when I was there such that I had 3 different supervisors my first year. The reason for the constant adjustments was the high level of dysfunction represented on the sr. management team. Turnover in the lower echelons was and is still constant due to turbulence and dysfunction above. Good people won't stay amid constant drama.

Benefits pkg is NOT competitive with other non-profits. There is no savings matching in place.

Due to the nature of the organization, I suppose, there are a few employees who are very anti-male and clearly work there to avoid men. Instead of management squashing this and pointing out that Pro-female is NOT the same thing as Anti-male... it is ignored and allowed to persist. It is very negative and made it impossible to plan the wonderful father-daughter programs that I loved when I was in Girl Scouts.

Efficiency is not consistent with modern technology and mistrust of employees is a waste of resources. In order to go buy $40 worth of program supplies for a program that is a) listed on the calendar and web site and b) has an approved budget, an employee must calculate the exact cost to the penny of the supplies, turn in a Purchase order and have it signed by 2 supervisors. Having worked at other non-profits, and understanding the money and accountability is important, I asked if I could go purchase the materials as long as I didn't exceed my budgeted $40. No. So I would spend an hour on web sites finding out the exact cost of compasses and paints and snacks so I could get my purchase order signed. What a waste of time and talent.

Advice to Management

GSUSA: Ask questions in Middle TN. Why is the turnover so high? Ask the employees why certain departments have a maximum tenure of 1 or 2 years.

"Revolving door management and employees = unstable working environment"

Current Employee - Membership Specialist in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Membership Specialist in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Discount summer camp tuition for employee's children

Cons

The management at Girl Scouts of Colonial Coast is incompetent.

Advice to Management

The leadership within the organization must mirror the kind of leadership that is expected from Girl Scout leaders/volunteers.

"Practice what you preach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Strong non-profit. There used to be no issues about funding or money coming in, like many non-profits.

Cons

Management, or what they call, the Leadership Team. No one is willing to stand up against the CEO, not even the COO. There is a lot of back-stabbing in the work environment. This is very sad for an organization that supports girls to grow strong. They do not implement this in a work environment.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse. You say you don't want "yes-men." But really... you do.

"Numbers Focused"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The mission statement and the volunteers.

Cons

Internally do not live or focus on mission statement, focused merely on member goals.

"Don't do it! Not worth it!"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Serving the youth of Central Indiana is the best part as it is working for any not for profit

Cons

Senior management is stuck in the stone ages and out of touch with the reality of today.