Girl Scouts USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Overworked; low work /life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management isn't always in sync with the front line employees (in 38 reviews)

1. "Follow your own mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Mission, great vacation package.

Cons

I was a girl scout growing up and although I am over qualified for this position I was called to this job because I wanted to make a difference, with that being said I have been treated like absolute dirt. Not only am I under paid but my manager screams at me and HR does nothing but backs her up. I have done nothing but exceed every expectation that has been laid out for me and have in return been aggressively abused in the workplace. If offered a position to work here I suggest taking literally ANY OTHER JOB.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the abusive monsters you have working for your or stop claiming to be a "women's organization".

"Good non-profit to have on your resume for a first job but don't expect to stay longer than a year."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn basic office skills but very little growth or development opportunities.

Cons

Poor inter and intra department communication or overall organization. Poor compensation for sole earner families or someone living on their own. Very little opportunity to move up in the organization.

Advice to Management

Work on better internal communication and cooperation.

"When Yesterday becomes Tomorrow!! BUYERS BEWARE"

Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Girl Scouts has some of the most committed and dedicated volunteers than any other organization on EARTH. 95% of our workforce is volunteer based (unpaid) workers who put the company and the girls it serves before themselves!

Cons

Since it's mass lay off in 2013-15 the organization has been struggling for consistency in defining and maintaining a clear IDENTITY: vision of where it wants to go, where it can go, what it is capable of accomplishing and most importantly how to create a resilient organizational structure and pathway to credibility… because of the following reasons:
    1. OLD vs. NEW: To start with, the company has been without a CEO for almost 3 years! And survivors of lay-offs from 2013-15 are very guarded and loyal to one another against “the newbies.” I have seen many people who joined the company get fired after 9 months and told “they were NOT A GOD FIT.” Many times, it’s the old guard cooking up this line and using it to oust these people and the worst part is “EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS INCLUDING HR WHO TELLS THE VICTIMS.. SORRY BUT, WE HEARD YOU WERE NOT A GOOD FIT”
    2. HR is COMPLACENT: They know there is a HUGE mismatch between the old house culture & clicks (Pre-lay off culture) and the ‘ideals’ the new leadership wants to instill and promote. They don’t care to follow through once they bring you in, and will only show up when you are given extended probation (i.e. warning number #1 from Old guard managers telling you that “WE NOTICE YOU ARE NOT FITTING IN” after 3 months; warning NUMBER #2 “you are still NOT FITTING IN” after 6 months; warning number #3, “you are still NOT FITTING IN after 9 months; YOU ARE FIRED).
    3. MICROMANAGE AND OUST: With the exception of teams headed by ‘NEWBIES’, each team is headed by a micro-Manager (old guard) who insists on doing EVERYTHING the (old) GS way. You must ‘put up and shut up’ and or will be ousted for “NOT UNDERSTANDING WHERE YOU ARE = YOU DON’T FIT IN…”
    4. “YESTERDAY becomes tomorrow” - Time and time again, the organization is run by older ladies (i.e. board, senior management, mid-level management, etc.) who are former Girl Scouts and are only interested in replicating their own experiences from 1904. They are OUT OF TOUCH with MILLENNIAL MOMS, DADS, GIRLS and WOMEN born post 1979.

Advice to Management

1. HR LEADERSHIP is INCOMPETENT: time and time again, I see HR making ABSOLUTELY zero attempt to ask newbies getting fired their side of the story. We all see them get hacked and HR only comes to the table to FULLY agree with managers’ observation: ‘FIRING HER because she DOES NOT FIT IN’. My advice: if you are not interested in bringing in fresh perspectives, and only and exclusively care to salute the old ways of doing business and old guard caprices… don’t bother bringing in new people!
    2. WITH OLD LADIES IN CHARGE: young minds are better off working at YMCA, BOYS& GIRLS CLUB and other places that really care about GIRLS! NO WONDER YOU ARE LOSING MEMBERSHIP AMONG MILLENIALS (15% per year and growing!!!!!)
    3. DIVERSITY: Diversity isn’t only about race. Hello!! It’s also about allowing for fresh / outside ideas and perspectives and experiences that allow young employees and newbies (‘WHO DON’T FIT and are canned by PROBATION Month#9) to speak their mind and breathe new life into the business, which is OLD and slowly perishing at the life of OLD GUARD and Grannies!

"I lost my trust in the Girl Scout organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home, if needed, work with some great volunteers and a public that is supportive, the smiles on girls faces when they are given the chance to thrive

Cons

Constant push for cookies sales and Fall Product sales without regard to volunteer and girl time spent.
    Lack of money for volunteers to provide adequate girl opportunities because funding is spent more on trying to impress the elite than on girl memberships and activities.
    Upper management cares only about numbers and winning recognition from GSUSA corporate.
    Major complaints and corruption within council is brushed under the carpet so as not to bring negative attention to council.
    Benefits and pay does not commensurate with knowledge and experience. Those willing to work hard are rewarded with more hard work.
    Word of advice? Run as far away as you can. I failed to listen to the online reviews and fully regret my decision. As a former Girl Scout, this organization tainted my view of the Girl Scout program and what it used to stand for.

Advice to Management

GSUSA needs to take a closer look at decisions being made, speak to former employees about why there is such a high turn around, and clean house!

"Great people, wonderful environment"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

- great people to work with
    - lots of fun and exciting projects
    - create impact for young girls

Cons

- working for a non-profit so lower pay
    - teams are small so have to fill in a lot of different roles

"great place to work just make sure you don't have ambition or need for money"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

This organization is a great place to work for flexible work environment and the family atmosphere. Not to mention you are making a difference.

Cons

The money salaries leave you needing a second job or second income in the house. There is not a lot of opportunity for advancement.

7. "Great Job, Great CEO at Citrus"

Current Employee - Membership Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for GSC is such a blessing! Not only do they offer a great benefits package as well as PTO and bonuses, but they make work fun! The CEO is constantly popping into meetings to deliver gifts and pep talks. I also love the flexibility that this council provides.

Cons

The schedule can get intense during the busy season. It's doable since it's only for two months but the impact made is well worth the time spent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything on track as you are. We are ready to be the best preforming council (against our own potentials) by 2020!

"Good luck with advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, the girls, what girl scouts is meant to be

Cons

Dont even bother applying here unless you have a parent in upper management. It seems that children of upper management keep advancing despite their lack of experience taking these jobs from more qualified applicants.

Advice to Management

Please check the hiring methodologies your organization is using. Very unethical practices where you dont advance unless you are related to someone important there.

"worried about quantity over quality"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Co-workers, vacation time, flexible schedule,

Cons

salary, insurance, Team Leads, management,

10. "Girl Scouts"

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

To able to empower the young woman is the most gratifying experience.

Cons

Poor training. Whoever coordinates events, they should not coordinate events during cookie sales.

Advice to Management

GS should create a training portfolio to assure Troop Leaders have the proper training and necessities to fulfill the GS mission and values. Cookie Trainers should provide adequate training and assure leaders and product managers understand what they are really doing and the financial responsibility of cookies/products. Don't get me wrong, they do provide resources, but hands-on training is needed. The workshops are great, but it's still not enough. Help us lead with proper resources and training.