Givaudan Reviews | Glassdoor

Givaudan CEO Gilles Andrier
Gilles Andrier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No work life balance and not flexible" (in 11 reviews)

• "no work life balance for family time" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at Givaudan full-time

Pros

Excellent company, benefits and knowledgeable people

Cons

none that I have ever seen.

Jun 21, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review.

"Good Company"

I have been working at Givaudan full-time

Pros

Good benefits, willing to train

Cons

A lot of turnover, not keeping up with current workplace trends

Oct 2, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for the feedback.

"Do Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Givaudan full-time

Pros

Happy Monday!

Givaudan trains top global talent in fragrance development for the rest of the industry to capitalize on. With Givaudan experience, you will be a poaching target for all competitors. Givaudan invests in great product sourcing, processes and perfumery design. The client and product portfolio is immense, and creative fragrance innovation, exciting.

Cons

My spirit died at Givaudan. Where Givaudan excels in ingredient and storytelling innovation, it lacks in warmth of a personal touch, overlooks individual strengths, and undervalues internal talent progression.

One shouldn’t have to divorce their individuality from their professional brand. It is difficult to feel safe to be one’s full self at Givaudan if that full self is not steeped in perfumery legacy or European tradition. People management determined by tenure instead of leadership ability hampers initiative and growth potential. Entry-level / (permanent) temp position turnover is especially ruinous, and many people below director level feel replaceable, continually looking for a way up or out.

Several other employees wear a happy mask, explicitly sharing amongst one another that they stay with the company only out of debt obligation or retirement benefit expectation, rather than the passion for their role or respect for the people with whom they spend the majority of their week. A lack of intra-departmental diversity also exacerbates groupthink and stifles newness from catching fire. Where are the men in fine fragrance sales or evaluation? Where are the women in technology or the C-Suite? Where are underrepresented minorities…outside of the lab? Shame.

Strong employee retention is a wonderful benefit resulting from positive management. Morale underneath ‘control and command’ middle managers suffers when traces of inspirational, visionary leadership are just a few doors down.

For such a beautiful industry, the environment at Givaudan is confusedly contentious. Tattling to HR seems to be a first line of defense, in avoidance of direct communication between colleagues. I was shocked by the frequency of HR intervention pursued for the most minor difference of opinions. If you can survive the emotionally toxic culture in the NY office, hats off. For others that prioritize mutual respect and equitable advancement opportunity, I recommend trying another fragrance house where you can spread your wings and thrive.

Happy Friday!

Advice to Management

Please focus on inclusivity by building internal camaraderie between functions, locations, tenure, and background. Please promote those to positions of team leadership who have shown an interest in and the ability to successfully propel others’ professional development.

Lackluster efforts to improve employee satisfaction do not last, because everyone can feel the surface level commitment by Givaudan. I.E. “culture committees” aimed at fostering internal relationships and bridging divides should not only be comprised of individuals who look like each other, and if Givaudan is truly dedicated to progress, corporate funding should follow.

Protect your investments, and fight for your best assets. Wishing you all the best.

Oct 2, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for sharing your point of view. We’re sorry to hear you feel this way about Givaudan.
    At Givaudan, we embrace diversity throughout our organisation. We recruit, employ and promote... More

4. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Packing in Mount Olive, NJ
    Current Employee - Packing in Mount Olive, NJ

I have been working at Givaudan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chill environment, competitive pay for entry level position,

Cons

Environment, but comes with the business of producing fragrances

Jul 18, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for the review.

"Abuse of temporary employees"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Mount Olive, NJ
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Mount Olive, NJ

I have been working at Givaudan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on safety. Overtime on the weekends. Good position in their market.

Cons

The abuse of employees hired through a temp agency. Temps invest valuable time hoping to be hired into the union only to be let go or never hired. Many temps have not been hired after a full year working for the company.

Advice to Management

Be more up front with temporary employees that are looking for a career with your company. You have many temps who are investing their time with you in the hope of being hired. Temps never know who and when someone may be hired which leads to rumors and conflict.

6. "Great company"

I worked at Givaudan full-time

Pros

The people, the industry itself. It is a company where everyone is willing to teach you what they do if you work hard and are accountable. I would go back anytime, had to leave due to geographical reasons.

Cons

The first year you don't have vacations, but its worth it as over the years you have a lot of days off.

Jun 21, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for the nice review. We wish you a continued success in your career.

7. "Very nice placce"

I have been working at Givaudan full-time

Pros

Great place to work. People are really nice.

Cons

No relocation assistance for interns.

Jun 21, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for the review.

8. "Great place"

Current Employee - Material Handler
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Givaudan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very busy, awesome company, able to learn and grow.

Cons

A lot of work and overtime.

Advice to Management

Help people learn and grow.

Jun 21, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

"Management needs improvement"

I worked at Givaudan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn about the industry and decent pay. You get to work with some amazing people but beware of the ones who are not so genuine.

Cons

Favoritism was very obvious. Management picks and chooses who they want to invest in while leaving others on the back burner and completely taking advantage of their hard work.

Advice to Management

Give fair and equal opportunities to your employees that work hard and are dedicated. Stop playing favoritism and also, for upper management, change with the upcoming generation that will eventually take over. Too many old school mentalities.

Jun 21, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry that you feel that way about Givaudan.
    We are committed to providing a work environment where every employee feels empowered to impact... More

"Junior Flavorist"

Current Employee - Flavorist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Flavorist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Givaudan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have a decent cafeteria
    Interesting industry with flavors
     GBucks when you taste for Sensory
    Time off week after Christmas

Cons

Low raises
    HR is useless, constantly changes
    Everyone is always stressed out
    Managers have egos and never give credit to team
    Place smells to

Advice to Management

None, they know it all

May 14, 2018 – Digital Talent Brand & Attraction Specialist

We are very sorry that you feel that way about Givaudan.
    Givaudan is committed to providing a working environment that is based on mutual respect among all employees. We have set Principles of... More