Glacier Water Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Brian H. McInerney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent pay, mostly easy work."

I worked at Glacier Water Services full-time

Pros

Decent pay start ($15.00 in Seattle area). Most the work is pretty easy. Paid drive time and theres a lot of driving.

Cons

A lot of responsibility off the clock. Company Vehicle, inventory, and machines being vandalized or breaking down are all concerns when off the clock.

Advice to Management

Washington state management were all good guys

2. "Service Technician"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Irvine, CA

I worked at Glacier Water Services full-time

Pros

Take home company truck. Being on your own all day.Good company to work for if you can get past the cons.

Cons

Poor training, very unorganized at the hub in Corona. I should have stayed maybe I could have made a change there.

Advice to Management

Learn to train new people properly and make sure they have all the supplies needed to get the job done.If only corporate new what goes on there.

"I wouldnt work here again"

Former Employee - Bottle Sales Coordinator/Bottle Sales Logistics Coordinator in Vista, CA

I worked at Glacier Water Services (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Smaller environment allows you the ability to focus.

Cons

Advancement isn't anything to look forward too. Seniority vs work ethic.

"Something wrong in Lacey, Washington"

Former Employee - Glacier Water in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Glacier Water in Seattle, WA

I worked at Glacier Water Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, became really close because of all being in the same situation with management. Company vehicle to take home. Nice to be independent working on your own, and with other workers as well.

Cons

Management!!! Management!!! Management!!! Wow where do I start. CONDESCENDING! No previous management experience. I saw a resume and was wondering how a company could put people in a superior role that they did? Management talks to people like they are nothing and worthless. No people skills what so ever when talking to techs. All the good people are leaving or have already left. Tries to run a division on how they did it somewhere else, and could care less of anyone's opinions at all. To be a team you need to stick together and value everyone's opinions both good and bad. We were all there to make the company run smoother and better, but I guess that all went out the door. Everyone learns from their mistakes, unfortunately for management it's too late for the great people who already left or are leaving. I have never seen a turnover rate anywhere like what's going on in Lacey. I went off to a better paying job, but I never even would have been looking for another job if I would have been talked to like a human being. My final quote: A BAD MANAGER CAN TAKE A GOOD STAFF AND DESTROY IT, CAUSING THE BEST EMPLOYEES TO FLEE AND THE REST TO LOOSE ALL MOTIVATION. I hate to say it, but this says it all.

Advice to Management

Listen to people rather than interrupt and talk down to. I feel like I would have been treated better in the military. Every division is different, therefor what worked somewhere else in the United States may not be the best for this division. Have a conscious, and quit trying to make yourself always look good for corporate. Tell your workers good job every once in a while, rather than focusing on everything they did bad or trying to find something wrong or bad. With what this company pays it's going to be a constant turnover with how workers are being treated. People will take less pay somewhere else to be treated better. People will get trained up and feel comfortable working on ice and water machines then leave. I see a lot of ice machine pulls in the future. This is unfortunate for everyone all the way around especially Glacier Water.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Utility Technician
    Current Employee - Utility Technician

I have been working at Glacier Water Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Machines produce top quality water.

Cons

Management is poor. District Manager with no previous management experience. Disrespects employees while focusing on things technicians did wrong.

Division Manager not only allows this behavior but thinks it's entertaining.
     Management's decisions are made on a personal level rather then professional and business basis. I would recommend only taking a job with this company until you find gainful employment. At present time public website has been down for over 7wks. Only explanation we're working on it. What company that cares would allow that.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Get involved and see what's really going on at divisional level.

6. "Utility Technician Columbus Ohio"

Former Employee - Utility Technician in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Utility Technician in Delaware, OH

I worked at Glacier Water Services (More than a year)

Pros

First of all this was one of the best jobs I ever had and I wish I still worked there. Pros Management, hours, fellow workers, Independent work environment, benefits, Room to grow, work environment, supplied tools and equipment, company vehicle with gas card, paid training, access to more experienced technicians when you need help and the greatest manager I ever worked for. We remain friends to this day.

Cons

Pay could be better, but in line with similar positions in the Columbus area. Two strike your out vehicle offense policy

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Provide more documentation on current and past models. Create a forum where technicians can share ideas and concerns

"Service tech"

Current Employee - Service Tech in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Glacier Water Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health,dental and vision insurance available also 401 savings plan. Can work at your own pace so long as you finish the day's route.

Cons

Can only take one week of vacation at a time no matter
    how many weeks you have accrued. Expected to monitor company cellphone 24/7 on svc. callout weekends for 2 hours of straight time pay after working forty or more hour week. Have to print your own copies of time sheet blanks, inventory sheets and vacation request forms with no compensation offered.
    Expected to keep up maintenance on company vehicle
    that is to be used only for company business.

Advice to Management

Less intrusion on people's personal time and pay overtime for monitoring company phone on service callout weekends. Stop limiting vacation to one week at a time.

"Service Tech"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Glacier Water Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They provide you with all the parts and tools you need to complete your job and you get a company truck to use full time. paid Holidays and vacation time. Medical is available if wanted.

Cons

The starting wage is low and the raises are small 25 to 35 cents. You will never be told when you are doing a good job. And will always hear when you're not.

Advice to Management

Let your workers know when they are doing a good job, stop focusing on all the negatives and see the positives. Kudos go a long way and can produce more productivity

"Poorly Managed Company"

Former Employee - Utility Technician in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Utility Technician in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Glacier Water Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very little supervision
    dist. managers very little training

Cons

low pay
    No loyalties to long term employees

10. "Field Service Technician"

Current Employee - Service Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Glacier Water Services (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, very supportive culture. Field Service position allows for plenty of independence and the opportunity to provide a valued service to the community.

Cons

Pay could be better. The hourly rate is at the low end for technicians. The 401K match helps, but the month to month financials are a challenge.

Advice to Management

Provide the opportunity for an incentive based pay for the field personnel. A percentage of the machine collection would do nicely.