GlassHouse Technologies Senior Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Consultant

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Sharp

1. "The best place for storage, backup, cloud consultants"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vendor independent, on the cutting edge of several very relevant technologies as virtualization matures and Cloud explorations are taking place. Great colleagues to work with - no matter who you are, you will find someone to learn from, and the commitment of the team is excellent. Constantly reinventing itself to address a rapidly changing market, so even newbies can have an impact.

Cons

They try to manage the travel but are not always successful

Advice to Management

Keep employees and customers as up to date as you can on the vision, the plan, and where each of us fits.

"Glasshouse is bleeding people"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Framingham, MA

I have been working at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Glasshouse was once a great company that I have spent 8+ years with. Until the end of 2011 Glasshouse truly cared about and for it employees. Glasshouse once made great decisions to support both individuals and practices.

Cons

In the last year the company has stalled out. Employees are sold the idea that "things" are on the way up, although, senior management, both long term and newly hired, continue to flee the company. The company has no interest in keeping its existing employees; there are no bonuses; the company "forgot" to budget annual merit increases. Every employee I know is actively looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people you currently have. Increasing the referral bonus is not acceptable as the only incentive you have with your employees. I could not refer anyone to Glasshouse with any kind of honesty. Stop lying about the state of the company, both by revising past history, current positioning and where the company is heading..

"Totally unprofessional and childish"

Former Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Cary, NC

I worked at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many, but provides a diverse environment with many different customers and environments to deal with. Allows for interfacing with a number of different customers and techonologies.

Cons

They provided a one hour orientation that didn't even cover all the benefits or expectations for time keeping or expense keeping. They gave no orientation or introduction to the account managers other than to invite you to the weekly status meetings. Basically you are left entirely in the dark with no idea of what they expect. They assign you to 4-5 customers without any hope of having enough time to cover them all. Then I provide some very concise and clear feedback to my direct manager via email about the reasons I left and how they can improve, their response? They blacklisted my email entirely from their mail servers. I now have no means to contact HR other than to intentionally bypass their blacklist with an alternate email address. This place is EXTREMELY unprofessional and acts VERY childishly. This is a fast sinking ship...

Advice to Management

Learn to provide adequate orientation and training to your processes and environments before expecting perfection. When feedback is given in a civil and concise manner don't shut the door and lock the windows. If you don't care about it then ignore it.

"I was completely misled about the amount of travel and they were organizationally unorganized."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like to be an independent consultant, with little to no organization; you will like glasshouse.

Cons

I was told I would be put through a training program, and my second week on the job I was at a customer site to do a my job with NO training program. I was also told I would be traveling 4 days a week with the 5th day being at home to finalize documentation. I ended up traveling 6 days a week, Sunday through Friday most weeks. And if a holiday lands on a Monday, you will travel Tuesday through Friday but will still have to work Saturday to finalize the documentation. So, you never really get a holiday. It just pushes your week out a day.

Advice to Management

Look at your employee's as investments, not just dollar signs. Invest in training, especially when it is promised. QUIT MISLEADING THE TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS.

"A great company with a few drawbacks"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Glasshouse is a good company that provides a lot of professional growth.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for compensation growth, little or no bonuses and minimal raises. The health benefits for employees outside New England are terrible.

Advice to Management

Review the bonus structure and provide a national health insurance option.

7. "Great place to work as long as they keep you busy."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

GlassHouse Technologies is a good place to work for the variety of assignments and places that you will travel in a consulting role. I believe that the majority of people that are still with the company are happy and like what they do. The benefits are OK, but not if you compare them to a large company. For example, there is no matching on the 401-K. They do a good job with prompt turn-around of the expense reports that are submitted (which is important for a consultant who is on the road most of the time). For the most part, this is a good company as long as they can keep you busy.

Cons

Management appears to be confused about the overall mission of the company. It's not clear that they are marketing their core competencies to the right companies. As a result there have been many layoffs recently.

There's not really any training budget, so forget about conferences or training unless it's part of the contract that you're working on.

Advice to Management

Get back to your core competencies, quit trying to go in multiple directions. Give your sales people something they can work with when then try to sell your services.

8. "Enjoyed working with other members of the team"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and plenty of variety with different environments to work in. Plenty of travel opportunities and ability to pick and choose assignments to a large extent.

Cons

Benefits weren't very good. Short-term thinking by management.

"Stay away from this crappy company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at GlassHouse Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are still paying the salary

Cons

The company pretending to be a consulting firm. Currently it is only a collection of imbeciles.
    There is no methodology, knowledge sharing, managerial strategy.
    The company is not in the good shape. There is a lack of cash, and investors huge debts. The company is going to die.

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

I worked at GlassHouse Technologies full-time

Pros

-If you need a paycheck, its a job. If its the only job you can get, any job is better than no job.
    - If you aren't traveling constantly, its nice to be able to work from home... if you don't have to put out fires every 5 mins and at all hours of the day/night.

Cons

- Lack of training.
    - Horrendous and clueless senior management. Like to manage from afar;only really engage once the problem has escalated to almost losing client status.
    - Consultants are either very senior level, know it, and won't share knowledge, or are very junior and can't be left to manage client issues without intense supervision and direction.
    - No consequences for HR problems. Bad behavior is just pushed under the rug and ignored.
    - Likes to think they are more prestigious and important in the industry than they are. A small company trying to play with the "big boys" with little to no internal structure in place to support big ideals.
    - Awful internal IT department.
    - Good luck getting your expenses on time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Put managers/directors in place who know how to fix problems which doesn't mean "keep putting a new person in place every six months to solve the problem since you won't face the issue that you don't know what you are doing to begin with". Treat employees with respect, like people, instead of another salary that you can try to throw at an issue. Maybe get another company in to teach you how to run yours.