Glassdoor Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
    I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

"Great Team Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with a team that pulls for everyone's success.

Cons

The on-boarding process could be a little more streamlined.

Oct 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your review. We are constantly working to improve our on-boarding process and would be interested in hearing any feedback you would be willing to share on how we can streamline the... More

"Not too shabby"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teachers, leaders and motivated employees; everyone here has a great outlook and appetite for success. Exciting time to be in Chicago as we are moving to a new office and seeing the company grow has been awesome!

Free food 3x a week with a lot of opportunity for happy hours and a great work life balance.

Cons

The office atmosphere is relaxed, but there are clear favorites in the crowd that seem to be promoted into positions that they aren't necessarily a fit for, just based on campaigning successfully. The pay isn't all that great, they continue to change our comp plans to be "awesome" but truth be told unless you're hitting 100% every single month, you won't get the full pay out and there is still unclear and untold terms which makes people skeptical.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary, leave the commission alone and stop trying to say things are better when they aren't progressing.

"Growing, Exciting Things To Come"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In sales, there are always challenges and GD is not immune. But they seem to be open to feedback and willing to listen. The org isn't too huge so you don't feel like you're just a number.

Cons

Not as many perks as some of the bigger companies in the Chicago area but that's going to change with the new building opening in the fall, I think.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and adapt. Pay attention to your competition and don't let people walk over petty reasons.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has overall been amazing experience. The people who work for Glassdoor are truly amazing and care about the product. The Glassdoor mission is clear and product is great. I couldn't be happier.

Cons

Like every startup, there are growing pains. This past year was tough with quotas a bit of a stretch. However, management took note of the miss and made the correction. We are back on path and heading for a great year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you’re part of this team and grateful for your feedback about our comp plans. If you have more feedback about how the new quotas are working for you, my door is always open.

"Everything I was told it would be, and then some"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They sold it to me as a pre-IPO startup with the opportunity to get in early, and that's exactly what it is. The growth potential here is tremendous, and everyone at the company really does care about you and your goals. Work-life balance, benefits and the office atmosphere are all the best I've ever experienced. Glassdoor has been, and will continue to, shake up a pretty well-established "job board" market. The old models from indeed and monster are going away and Glassdoor will be the first to connect job seekers and companies based on a deeper, more emotional level than just matching skills. Being a part of the team and seeing the value that we are delivering to clients is fun and it's only just starting to catch on. Glassdoor has owned the user-generated content regarding employers for a long time, and once we solidify our spot as the one-stop-shop for job seekers to learn not just about companies, but also find new opportunities, the sky will be the limit and the old job boards will just be trying to catch up.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are typical of an organization that is growing like crazy and figuring out how best to monetize their products and audience. Leadership gives clear direction for long term success, but sometimes the water gets a little muddy during the short term as we and there could be a little more transparency about some of the moves that have been made. I think that this is somewhat of a learning experience for everybody, so there are occasional hiccups. It's the small risk you have to accept when you join a relatively young organization.

Advice to Management

The openness of leadership is amongst the best I have seen across the multiple organizations I have been a part of prior to coming here. That being said, when discussing a vision for 100 miles down the road, it's helpful to discuss what will be happening at each mile in between so there are no surprises.

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your excitement for Glassdoor, we’re excited to have you on the team! Your review reminds me how grateful I am to our team who has brought the Glassdoor culture we cultivated here... More

"Glassdoor was transparent; now its opaque"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks like free lunch, coffee, snacks, dogs, and a very fun culture.

Cons

For a company I spent last 2 years of my career working for with passion and dedication, the exit process left something to be desired. I worked as an Account Executive; when I fell below quota and voiced my concern, little to nothing was done to troubleshoot my performance. Instead I was put on a “soft” activity plan (make x number of calls, meetings, etc.), but was not told my job on the line. A month later, I was told that my last day at the company would be in 6 days.

This appalled me as countless reps who have fallen below quota attainment have been put on a quarter-long plan to get them back on track. This was the standard as I had come to know it.

The company I knew for the past 2 years was gone. It was a place where management had a pulse on the health of their team, making sure everyone was excited to be working there and more excited for the opportunities ahead. Now it has warped itself into a culture that takes exclusive interest in performance metrics, star performers, and working its teams to the bone with very little concern for their wellbeing.

During my exit interview, HR informed me that performance plans at Glassdoor are not “policy” but a “best practice.” They (HR) told me that managers at our company have full discretion to terminate an employee if they aren’t a fit for the role and a performance plan wouldn’t have the desired effect. To say the least, this made me feel discriminated against, as I had seen this same situation (same people, same role, similar quota) treated in a different and abrupt fashion.

Advice to Management

It pains me to say that I feel that Glassdoor as a company abandoned me in my efforts to become a better salesperson. For starters, managers choose to spend more time with their Star Performers; this could be attributed to bandwidth, low morale, but regardless their attention needs to be equally distributed among their team.

As a company, you need to abandon “best practices” and adopt “policies” for performance improvement. Yes, each employee is different but when it comes to their improvement, they should be addressed in the same manner. In my case, I could’ve left the company knowing that I gave it my all and I simply wasn’t a fit. Instead, this process left me feeling discriminated against, terminated with no exit plan, and having to pull teeth to secure a severance to support me as I look for my next venture.

Robert: I hope you can take this review as a stepping-stone to better support your employees that you boast to love so much. I had the distinguished honor to work for your company and my expectations were severely disappointed by this process. In the future, I hope your leadership team can learn to guide their team member out if they aren’t a fit for the company, as opposed to cutting the cord. The execution here was poor and unfortunately changed how I feel about Glassdoor as a stellar employer.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

We appreciate your candid feedback and are sorry that you experienced frustration with how things concluded for you at Glassdoor. Certainly, we strive to ensure all employees are treated fairly... More

"The Red Wedding"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the brightest and most lovable people I've ever come across.
    The typical technology company perks.
    Great mission that used to be easy to get behind, however, as of late, it feels phony being that what is preached is clearly not being practiced.

Cons

Sales is a legitimate nightmare. Glassdoor's own "Know Your Worth" tool confirmed that we were grossly underpaid (awkward). People have been promoted into leadership that do not possess the soft skills necessary to empathize with or motivate those that report to them. Things are such a mess on the Customer Success / Account Management side that New Business Account Executives are hesitant to sell the dream being that claw backs have become quite frequent. In addition, the politics are endless. Reps who are doing better than their peers are put on plans due to how their Director or Manager feel about them personally rather than how they are performing.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the sales org is highly undervalued which can only lead to an underwhelming end for Glassdoor if this doesn't change. Be loyal to the people who have represented Glassdoor in the best light and who have believed in it's mission from the beginning. There are people on the sales floor who bleed green through and through who will move mountains if you give them the necessary tools. Train your leadership. Teach them to motivate in a positive and uplifting manor. Invest in their emotional intelligence. Micromanagement will not help anything. The proof is in the pudding. Those who are killing it, march to the beat of their own drum. Last, one of the nice things that made up for the lack of good pay used to be flexibility regarding vacation, but that has changed and sales reps are now paid hourly.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I appreciate your perspective. I want you to know that sales is deeply, deeply respected at Glassdoor and we try to support our sales teams in every way that we possibly can. That said, we certainly... More

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pro's about working for Glassdoor - strong leadership who is always willing to listen, great people - no ego's / everyone is constantly trying to help each other, talented support professionals, and lots of flexibility. We have big goals, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else besides here, helping us achieve those!

Cons

Things change frequently, so you do have to be able to adjust quickly. This is something you may have to get used to. However, now, I view this as a positive and enjoy how agile we can be.

Advice to Management

Incentivize client support reps with renewals, etc. so we don't loose anymore talented client support reps and implementation managers.

"Sales is broken"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has a fun culture, great people, and the typical "cool" perks one can assume from a Bay Area tech company (ping pong table, keg in the game room, etc.).
    I also believe we have a strong Mission Statement and business model. We've innovated to secure a unique spot in the world of recruiting and I think we'll be around for awhile.

Cons

As a sales professional at Glassdoor, these are the dark times...Quotas are wrong. Very few reps across the board are hitting their numbers which is morally defeating. Combine that with the fact that our very own Know Your Worth tool is letting us know how underpaid we really are, it doesn't feel great. There's been plenty of attrition over the past few months and I suspect more if nothing changes. If you're looking for a sales role in the Bay Area, I'd hold off on Glassdoor for about 6 months until some changes are made (hopefully).

Advice to Management

Fix quotas. That's all that needs to be done. Until then, there will be more attrition and employee satisfaction will continue to fall.

Nov 14, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for your follow and we appreciate your concerns and our goal with the recent announcements was to provide the team with the ability to be more successful during the second half of our... More