Glassdoor Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a positive work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow your career. Fun/ useful product to cell, great people and company culture, and trust leadership as they have the best interest of their people. Very exciting time to be a part of the company.

Cons

As with any sales job, it is a grind. Can be stressful at times as hitting quota has become the culture and expectation

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We appreciate the adjustments you make that are in the best interest of your people.

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
    I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

"Easy Sales. Great Culture. Good place to grow."

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super easy sales
     - You close sales in 2-3 calls for Small or Medium Businesses.
     - Pipeline is always moving because of the quick sales cycle.
     - Everyone knows who Glassdoor is so when you are on the call it's always warm.
     - Monthly quotas keep you motivated the whole quarter long which creates a fast-paced environment

Great culture for growing a career
     - More than anything, people aren't judgemental. Be yourself and no one will give you a hard time.
     - Managers have your back.
     - You never feel like anyone is looking over your shoulder.
     - You can expect to be promoted every 12 months if you're doing well and the managers like you.
     - You learn sales methods from professional programs instead of learning everything on your own.
     - People are suuuuuuuper friendly and helpful
     - If you like to drink, the SF culture just seems to drink a ton so get ready for that
     - There's an SF office, a Chicago office, and a few international offices. If you want to transfer offices, live in London, etc. Glassdoor is actually open to it!

Perks and Benefits
     - CATERED MEALS are AMAZING! They've really found caterers who bring you great food every single day
     - Health, Dental, Life is all covered for you and partially covered for family members but it's top-of-the-line insurance providers
     - Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager. If you want to come in early and leave early, great. If not, most are expected to be here from 8-5 with an hour lunch. However, if you ever need to leave or stay home or go on a trip, they are super flexible and don't give you a hard time.

Leadership
     - They've had their struggles in the past but recognize that and have changed a TON.
     - The VP of Sales will actually sit in a room with sales reps and ask them what needs to be changed and they actually listen.
     - The CEO listens to feedback and consistently is trying to improve transparency and communication. He's also just a genuinely good guy.

Cons

Here are the few I've found
     - This place is LIBERAL. Good for half of you, maybe bad for the other half of you. All of SF is really liberal in general but if you're already living here then you're used to it. People aren't judgemental if you are republican, but I feel like you'll just hear a lot of left-wing chatter and that might bug some right-wing folks.
     - This place DRINKS! Once agian, good for some, maybe not for others. If you don't drink or don't want to be around people who do, maybe Glassdoor isn't for you. Once again, no one will judge at all if you don't, but there is a lot of that here.
     - Leadership is still making changes to improve compensation and I would say change in general is a minor challange.
     - Some leaders don't seem super strong, you know? Like, they aren't the type of people everyone wants to follow.
     - Compensation is enough to get by, but could be better. Like I said, they are making changes to get you more money.
     - If you perform, you'll get promoted. But there is definitely a "cultural fit" aspect to promotions as well. So know that to get promoted, managers will definitely have to like you. If you aren't likeable, you might not even get hired so...... nevermind

Advice to Management

Get strong leaders in place that have done this kind of thing before, not everyone has to be an internal promotion.

Figure out a way to pay salespeople more

Keep listening to us

Feb 2, 2018 – SVP Worldwide Sales

Thanks for the detailed review! I'm pumped that it seems like you've found a great home in Sales at Glassdoor. We're always working to make things better based on feedback from the team. Appreciate... More

"Great Team Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with a team that pulls for everyone's success.

Cons

The on-boarding process could be a little more streamlined.

Oct 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your review. We are constantly working to improve our on-boarding process and would be interested in hearing any feedback you would be willing to share on how we can streamline the... More

"Growing, Exciting Things To Come"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In sales, there are always challenges and GD is not immune. But they seem to be open to feedback and willing to listen. The org isn't too huge so you don't feel like you're just a number.

Cons

Not as many perks as some of the bigger companies in the Chicago area but that's going to change with the new building opening in the fall, I think.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and adapt. Pay attention to your competition and don't let people walk over petty reasons.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback.

"Not too shabby"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teachers, leaders and motivated employees; everyone here has a great outlook and appetite for success. Exciting time to be in Chicago as we are moving to a new office and seeing the company grow has been awesome!

Free food 3x a week with a lot of opportunity for happy hours and a great work life balance.

Cons

The office atmosphere is relaxed, but there are clear favorites in the crowd that seem to be promoted into positions that they aren't necessarily a fit for, just based on campaigning successfully. The pay isn't all that great, they continue to change our comp plans to be "awesome" but truth be told unless you're hitting 100% every single month, you won't get the full pay out and there is still unclear and untold terms which makes people skeptical.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary, leave the commission alone and stop trying to say things are better when they aren't progressing.

"Everything I was told it would be, and then some"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They sold it to me as a pre-IPO startup with the opportunity to get in early, and that's exactly what it is. The growth potential here is tremendous, and everyone at the company really does care about you and your goals. Work-life balance, benefits and the office atmosphere are all the best I've ever experienced. Glassdoor has been, and will continue to, shake up a pretty well-established "job board" market. The old models from indeed and monster are going away and Glassdoor will be the first to connect job seekers and companies based on a deeper, more emotional level than just matching skills. Being a part of the team and seeing the value that we are delivering to clients is fun and it's only just starting to catch on. Glassdoor has owned the user-generated content regarding employers for a long time, and once we solidify our spot as the one-stop-shop for job seekers to learn not just about companies, but also find new opportunities, the sky will be the limit and the old job boards will just be trying to catch up.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are typical of an organization that is growing like crazy and figuring out how best to monetize their products and audience. Leadership gives clear direction for long term success, but sometimes the water gets a little muddy during the short term as we and there could be a little more transparency about some of the moves that have been made. I think that this is somewhat of a learning experience for everybody, so there are occasional hiccups. It's the small risk you have to accept when you join a relatively young organization.

Advice to Management

The openness of leadership is amongst the best I have seen across the multiple organizations I have been a part of prior to coming here. That being said, when discussing a vision for 100 miles down the road, it's helpful to discuss what will be happening at each mile in between so there are no surprises.

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your excitement for Glassdoor, we’re excited to have you on the team! Your review reminds me how grateful I am to our team who has brought the Glassdoor culture we cultivated here... More

"The Red Wedding"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the brightest and most lovable people I've ever come across.
    The typical technology company perks.
    Great mission that used to be easy to get behind, however, as of late, it feels phony being that what is preached is clearly not being practiced.

Cons

Sales is a legitimate nightmare. Glassdoor's own "Know Your Worth" tool confirmed that we were grossly underpaid (awkward). People have been promoted into leadership that do not possess the soft skills necessary to empathize with or motivate those that report to them. Things are such a mess on the Customer Success / Account Management side that New Business Account Executives are hesitant to sell the dream being that claw backs have become quite frequent. In addition, the politics are endless. Reps who are doing better than their peers are put on plans due to how their Director or Manager feel about them personally rather than how they are performing.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the sales org is highly undervalued which can only lead to an underwhelming end for Glassdoor if this doesn't change. Be loyal to the people who have represented Glassdoor in the best light and who have believed in it's mission from the beginning. There are people on the sales floor who bleed green through and through who will move mountains if you give them the necessary tools. Train your leadership. Teach them to motivate in a positive and uplifting manor. Invest in their emotional intelligence. Micromanagement will not help anything. The proof is in the pudding. Those who are killing it, march to the beat of their own drum. Last, one of the nice things that made up for the lack of good pay used to be flexibility regarding vacation, but that has changed and sales reps are now paid hourly.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I appreciate your perspective. I want you to know that sales is deeply, deeply respected at Glassdoor and we try to support our sales teams in every way that we possibly can. That said, we certainly... More

"Sales is broken"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has a fun culture, great people, and the typical "cool" perks one can assume from a Bay Area tech company (ping pong table, keg in the game room, etc.).
    I also believe we have a strong Mission Statement and business model. We've innovated to secure a unique spot in the world of recruiting and I think we'll be around for awhile.

Cons

As a sales professional at Glassdoor, these are the dark times...Quotas are wrong. Very few reps across the board are hitting their numbers which is morally defeating. Combine that with the fact that our very own Know Your Worth tool is letting us know how underpaid we really are, it doesn't feel great. There's been plenty of attrition over the past few months and I suspect more if nothing changes. If you're looking for a sales role in the Bay Area, I'd hold off on Glassdoor for about 6 months until some changes are made (hopefully).

Advice to Management

Fix quotas. That's all that needs to be done. Until then, there will be more attrition and employee satisfaction will continue to fall.

Nov 14, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for your follow and we appreciate your concerns and our goal with the recent announcements was to provide the team with the ability to be more successful during the second half of our... More

"Can you hear us???"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Flexibility, amazing people, and an industry disrupting platform. We have incredible ancillary benefits including fitness programs and free lunch

Cons

You have set us up in sales to fail. While you say that you hear us, you have done nothing to address this issue. Alternatively, you have positioned your middle managers to make us feel like we aren't doing our jobs up to your standards. 10% of the entire sales org hit their quarterly goal last quarter. Really???

The upper management you've put in place are constantly in meetings (about what??), therefore out of sight. There is no acknowledgement that you set the bar to an unrealistic height.

My personal confidence is down the toilet. And I'm basically poor on top of that. Please sell me on why I should stay?

Advice to Management

Respond to these reviews asap. Fix the quotas and commission rates.

Jul 29, 2016 – VP Sales

Ouch - two stars. We are clearly not getting it done in terms of communicating with you or supporting you in the ways you need. We are actively meeting (yes, those pesky meetings) to discuss many of... More