Glassdoor Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

"we are family"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Family: I say this all the time, but the employees at Glassdoor are not just that. We are really like a family--and we genuinely care about each other & enjoy each other. To me, that is the best part about waking up and coming to work every morning. And on top of that, our leadership truly cares about us as well. Our CEO, Robert, may not know everyone's face, but he knows every name (pretty incredible in a company of 800 people).

-Perks: From incredible health insurance to the ability to wear jeans & flip-flops to the catered lunches, we really do have a good amount of perks & benefits. We are pretty transparent with the fact that we may not pay at the tip-top of the scale (it's still pretty good though!), but we have other things to make up for that. Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed.

-Autonomy: One of things I appreciate about Glassdoor is that they let you do you. I have rarely (if ever) felt micro-managed. On the AM side, we are truly the leaders of our own book and are empowered to treat our accounts & clients & schedules in the way we think is best. I hear about a lot of other companies where managers get involved in every little issue, call, deal, etc. but our leadership respects our decisions.

Cons

-We are still a start-up, so change is going to happen. A lot. If you can't roll with the punches, then this may be a hard place to be. With that being said, we change so much because leadership actually listens to us and our needs & concerns. We constantly make changes to territories, comp structure, support, etc. so we can grow & scale and still provide the employees with what we need.

-Because there is so much change, it is sometimes hard to get a clear picture on what your career path will be or can be at Glassdoor. Things can pop up really quickly, or you may have to wait several months longer than originally planned to get a promo. We do need to do a better job of preparing people for career advancement & mentoring them to that next step, providing feedback on where they hit & where they miss, and being upfront.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and providing a clear & transparent roadmap to each employee on what their career path looks like & how they can get there!

More keynote sessions from Robert (his talk at SKO has everyone jazzed)!

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m proud to read this, and happy you are part of our team. The Chicago office is buzzing with excitement and as we forge ahead I’m looking forward to setting this team up to succeed and take... More

"Sales - great place if you are positive, patient, and adaptable"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great People from Peers to Leaders - working here is genuinely fun and the people are awesome! In addition to senior leadership being super personable and humble, I've made some great friends here and am almost always happy to come into work every morning to see my coworkers/friends even though I have the flexibility to work from home! I do not take this for granted as I know what it’s like from past jobs to dread going to work every day.

* Constant Learning Opportunities - there is a lot to learn in Account Management. From formal Franklin Covey Sales Training to tribal knowledge (and a pretty unique knowledge-sharing sales culture) to working with clients in a variety of industries I am constantly sharpening my skills. Even when you know how to do your job there is ample opportunity to get involved cross-functionally, with trainings, interviews, etc and continue learning about business.

* Managers in Growth - tend to be awesome. I’ve worked closely with all of the managers in SMB Growth and have found them to all be incredible people. I've loved both my managers and they have definitely been instrumental in motivating me to stay at Glassdoor through good times and bad!!

* Flexible Schedule/Travel Opportunity - Managers in Growth are understanding about working from home which is amazing. I don’t use it that often but it’s great to feel like I am trusted and treated with respect. I often feel like I truly am the owner of my own business (my book of clients). Working with clients across locations and industries is really fun and we get the opportunity to plan our own travel to in person client meetings which is awesome!

* Mission - easy to get behind. For all the random tech companies to sell for, I might not be saving lives but maybe I’m helping a company hire people who are :)

* Dogs in the office are the best thing ever, definitely make my day every day!

* Office Location - being on the water in Mill Valley is amazing. The reverse commute is easy, it is serene environment and beautiful to get out of the city and have lunch outside every day

* Food - I genuinely appreciate the daily catered lunch, tea/snacks. They have options for every dietary restriction which goes a long way!

Cons

* Culture on the Decline - Our culture has suffered a lot recently, and I'm not sure why or how to fix it. The Fun Committee has pretty much disappeared. Monthly happy hours that used to be a blast have virtually zero attendance. It makes me sad how impersonal/automated company and department wide communications have become.
    * @Sales Leadership: Bluejeans Sales Huddles suck! It was way more fun and motivating when we convened in the cafe. I am guessing these measures have been taken to save time/efficiency but the result is a disjointed community and everyone is multitasking, not actually paying attention to the meetings as we would in person. This also takes away face-time with leadership that we really enjoyed! I also feel this way about the Video Company All Hands - which I’m guessing <50% of the company actually watched. I don’t think I'm the only one who STRONGLY prefers real meetings.

* SMB Growth partnership with CSS on Job Ads is NOT working. We need to allow high-spending job-ads accounts to have CSMs. I want to sell my clients the product that is the right fit to help them succeed, but it is getting to a point where i am fearful to move clients from slots to ads because there is a major risk the campaigns will not launch and will not perform as they are barely managed. When growth reps are measured on MCV and selling POCs we are being set up to fail attainment-wise if the trials we sell do not even launch so we obviously can’t prove performance in a short period. Glassdoor is an amazing product when we launch and when educated CSMs are managing campaigns - please help us help our clients succeed!!

* FY19 Sales Changes are a Bummer - We moved from a Bookings attainment model to Monthly Contract Value (MCV) and it has been a nightmare. Even after finally understanding how it works (far into the fiscal year, and I’m sure some people are still lost), it became apparent how flawed this model is. It is not motivating in the way Bookings was and forecasting is a headache and a half. MCV doesn’t make sense for getting promoted/switching roles or leaving the company because there is no way for reps to get credit in these situations and it's shocking that there was no foresight into this. Leadership tries to spin it as that we should do what is best for the business but at the end of the day that is an unreasonable ask - I am a sales person and am motivated by getting credit for what I sell. Please switch back to bookings in FY20!

* Forecasting Mess - I know this has been mentioned in other reviews. We switched forecasting tools form Clari to Aviso which has been a struggle since Aviso doesn’t work, deals randomly fall out, notes won’t update etc. I spend 2x as long on forecasting as I used to when we used Clari. This tool was supposed to be rolled out to use at the start of FY19 (April) but it is now almost half way through the year and it is still not working. It’s hard to get excited about promises made at SKO when the result is this far off year after year. How does it take this long?

* Onboarding is Not Great - important note if you are considering accepting a job at Glassdoor: our on boarding experience in growth can be a bit of a “find your own way” experience as training is geared towards new business. Luckily, people are generally really nice and happy to help, but it’s not a hand-held easy training experience last time I checked. Be ready to make your own way, start-up style... even though we are not a start-up anymore which is awkward.

* Billing & Sales Ops are both ridiculously understaffed, which has a major negative impact on sales teams. Leadership/HR if you read this - please please hire more billing people!

Advice to Management

I know we as Glassdoor do our best to “walk the talk” of transparency and valuing the employee experience. I am proud to work here and love being a champion for Glassdoor and working with my clients. I would not do anything differently, and hope to continue wanting to stay here for several more years. That said, morale in Growth is pretty low right now and I’m starting to worry I won’t be motivated to get promoted to Enterprise Growth if things don’t change due to the pain they are experiencing (per the recent reviews). I am hopeful that you will listen to my and others' feedback and try to make change. Thank you for reading this!

"Enterprise Account Manager - No Win!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The greatest part of Glassdoor are the people that I work with.

Cons

For the past 4+ years Glassdoor has been trying to figure out how to organize internally and how to structure the goals. This is still a struggle as no one in leadership has a clue regarding the growth side of the business and how to make goals fair across the teams. I am not sure how many years they are going to try and put a “one size fits all” approach on this until they realize that does not work. There is no&nbsp;parity in size of books, types of accounts, past history on accounts (which will clearly dictate future growth), etc. There is no forgiveness in the plan and frankly the ability to make your OTE is almost impossible unless you are a lucky few. Throughout my tenure here, they keep saying “we messed up” and then do little things to try and correct, but they only correct for those who have already reaped the benefits. Additionally, their is NO support for the ENT growth tier. It has become abundantly clear that unless you are in new business or on the strat team, that your success will always be a struggle here and you are completely on your own.

Advice to Management

Stop doing the same thing over and over with a slightly different look to it. As a company that wants to put the “client first”, then you need to put your top account managers first. They are your direct contact with your most important clients and if they are not feeling success and positive that will only emulate out to clients indirectly. Plan for the future and stop trying to put band aids on problems. Lastly,&nbsp;listen to what your employees say and make change, don’t just try to seem empathetic and do nothing.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

Thank you for your feedback and perspective, we can’t get better without it. Over your four years at Glassdoor it’s heartening to see that your peers and our people have been a constant area of... More

"A lot of promises but no delivery- Growth Team"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I went through a lot to get this role at Glassdoor on the growth team. My teammates were really great people and did a lot to help me get up and running.
    -Solid product and mission
    -Good benefits
    - Fun office atmosphere and perks
    -Competitive pay

Cons

I have a lot of them because my experience was pretty awful in the end. For starters, after receiving the offer, they were tiptoeing around the idea of pulling the offer back but eventually they did not ( I can't remember the exact wording but it was very confusing). They changed my start date 3 times. It took them a month and half to decide whether or not I had a guarantee or not for the first few months I was not on book. Once they did decide to give me one (it was generous) they changed the amount on me 2 times. Training was pretty good but I wish they would have had more of a focus on the growth side of the house. It was set up for new biz.

Leadership had told me they wanted to hit the road with me and I planned a long trip in my territory only to have them bail on me last minute. I performed well on my own but it was just sign of how upper management effects the day to day big time with their last minute asks. I feel like no matter what I did it was never enough, I brought back a solid verbal from a client that we were going to grow an additional 80% and I got flack for it. I felt really good about all the work I put in and the result was really big for my book and team but the feedback I got was that I needed to push the client even harder.

This all came to a head when I was let go without any prior warning or notice, despite being lauded company wide just a few weeks before for hitting my monthly quota. Just days before I was also told I had been performing well and had been great a receiving the coaching management had provided to me. I also had forecasted to crush my goal for the current month, so there were no signs of poor performance. Additionally, in the weeks prior to this management had laid out a program that had specific criteria we needed to hit to be in "good standing" and it was mentioned that there would be conversations along the way if an individual was not meeting those standards. I never had any of those conversations.

This was a really shady situation as I was randomly pull into a room and told I no longer had a job at Glassdoor (given no explanation whatsoever about why I was let go). Leadership said one sentence and then left the room, it was gutless. I do not know who was truly behind this or why I was let go. I went back to collect my things and the entire side of the office was cleared out so I could not interact with anyone. Just a terrible situation while working at a company that preached transparency and living by G.R.I.T. This was just like a company with a bad GD rating, there were no values I was just a number to them.

I had two former colleagues in the interview process with GD and had to tell them that I was let go out of nowhere without any information given to me. It did not make GD look very good at all.

A lot of things were said about this company and my team being a family but frankly this was not my experience based on the results of my employment. Dealing with HR was not pleasant at all either. They shut off my Cobra when they were not supposed to and were just difficult to deal with in general. Oh and I think in general because its a young company, there is a lot of drinking together and for me personally I feel like it set me back not being in that crowd as I don't drink much.

And of course after all that they just sell the company a month after my termination so that may have certainly played a factor in things as well. Apparently its all about the all mighty dollar and selling out to a foreign company.

Overall I would say I just wish things went differently, I felt ok most of the time and enjoyed being there and just battled through these issues thanks to the support of my teammates. I never would have thought this company being who they are and what they represent would have treated me like this. Be careful.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are real people, to this day I still do not really know why I am no longer working at GD. I have certainly moved on but management treated me like some puppet and gave me a pink slip for no reason. They did not even have the balls to tell me the truth about what happened. It would have been a lot easier on me if I had known why but they just didn't care enough about me to tell me. That says a lot about who this company really is. All I did was come to work everyday and work my butt off and hit my numbers but that did not matter to them.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We believe Glassdoor is a special place where our employees have a great opportunity to thrive and excel and it's... More

"Great Place to Grow Professionally"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership and management is always looking out for your best interests! It feels great knowing that Glassdoor leaders will give us their time and resources to mature info refined professionals, and do not expect us to come in being perfect. You just have to ask for the help!

Glassdoor also has a lot of fun benefits like catered lunch, flexible work schedule, ability to bring dogs into the office, and Marin kombucha on tap!

All coworkers are wonderfully quirky, motivated and diverse. I love coming to work for the people!

Cons

Although you can learn a ton at Glassdoor, there is almost no structure or guidance on how to succeed at your job. Managers are spread thin on many different projects other than helping their direct reports achieve Quarterly success. Training for new hires is extremely disorganized and disorganized. You have to rely on your peers to learn the day to day.

Continued trainings that are marked as MANDATORY to attend in the middle of your day, are oftentimes useless.

If you want to know something, get resources, or learn, you have to go after it yourself. The "build your own desk" culture is still very much alive! Pro for some, con for others.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, great leadership, great people.

Cons

Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains.

"Amazing opportunity, incredible people, some serious setbacks recently"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, Glassdoor is a phenomenal place to work and would be high up on the Best Places to Work list if they weren't the ones curating the list. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering joining. I would love to see some serious improvement on some tough issues, but what company is perfect? All things considered this place can be a great career accelerator. Come help us get to the next level!

Pros:

- The people. 93% of the people you'll meet here are genuine, down to earth, kind, good natured, selfless, intelligent, and always willing to help. I've made some friends for life here.

-Team culture. Largely a function of the wonderful people you'll work with, this is different than overall company culture, this is more about the culture that develops between the individuals you grind with, battling side by side with you day in and day out to get to your numbers. I know this is not applicable to every single team across the company, but all the front line managers that I know here in Chicago aim to develop a fun, winning, close knit team. We truly enjoy each others company, on and off the sales floor.

- The mission. We're a late stage start up with significant funding from top tier investors that know what they're doing, a recognizable brand name in a large profitable market, and a unique product vision that I can sell knowing wholeheartedly it's in the best interest of my client to invest in us. Transparency, employee engagement, employer branding, diversity/inclusion - this is the next frontier for companies that value healthy corporate cultures (and they should, based on research connecting employee satisfaction to productivity and bottom line revenue), whether employers like it or not. First it was free snacks, standing desks, and gym memberships - now it's listening to your employees and (at least creating the appearance of) genuinely caring what they have to say.

- The opportunity. We are a high growth company and if you work hard, succeed in you role, and build authentic relationships with people - there will be opportunity for advancement. That doesn't mean it isn't difficult, you just have to be smart and intentional about how you craft your personal brand and position yourself when the time comes. I will say, the advancement process could use a healthy dose of transparency and over-communication.

- Work life balance. This actually exists here. Need to duck out early at 2 one day? No problem. Want to take a week off for vacation (with proper notice)? Actually encouraged. Need to leave work every day at lunch to walk your dog for an hour? Cool. As long as you are communicating your needs in advance and it's not impacting your results, you will have a flexible, understanding manager.

- Senior sales leadership team. The senior sales leaders at Glassdoor are experienced, communicative, empathetic, and incredibly smart. I believe they have the genuine best interests of the sales team at heart, and I do believe in their vision.

-Company values. This is subjective, but I'm proud to be part of an organization that strives to make a positive impact in the world. Filing an amicus brief against the refugee ban. All the research & work we do around the gender pay gap. Making real strides for pay transparency helping working folks negotiate for higher pay. This stuff matters.

Cons

-Sales Operations in relation to comp/quota/books. We recently had some turnover in Sales Ops, and for the last 4-5 months the side of sales ops that deals with comp/quota/books has been pretty much a complete disaster area for the growth side of the business, if we're being brutally honest. Couldn't be any worse timing with the transition from FY17 to FY18 and new books/plans being created and rolled out. It's devastatingly demoralizing and unspeakably frustrating when the growth sales leadership team top to bottom either has no clue how sales ops is building books, quotas, and comp plans, or has no say in how they do it. How do you build a comp plan without knowing what quotas and books look like? You end up building a comp plan and sales flow that emphasizes retention, when the quotas actually require much more growth. What in the world is going on? When neither your manager, your director, or your SVP can't/won't give you a straight answer for months and months (the quarter was more than halfway over before we got our quota; we still to this day don't completely understand why we're getting paid out less on our deals than last year), its frankly unacceptable. When we ask about it, we get the response: don't worry it will all make sense eventually and in the meantime the bottom line is you have to sell more into your book than last year (even though there's a new sales motion and some people are struggling with basic living expenses while still hitting growth quotas). Accountability works both ways... If we couldn't give you a forecast for the quarter until more than halfway through, we wouldn't be employed here. If we couldn't explain why we didn't hit our target or why we lost a particular deal, we wouldn't be employed here. And yet we're supposed to be okay with a high degree of ambiguity "because we're an agile start up." That excuse for incompetence only goes so far before your top performers are inevitably interviewing elsewhere. I can tell you this - they don't want to. They want to believe in you, sales leaders. We're all looking to you to help us out of this mess, but you don't have much more time.

-Sales ops issues aside, overall compensation is a slight con. Lower base and OTE compared to similar companies and similar roles. But in reality, b/c of the strength of our brand, you're actually more likely to actually hit your OTE than most smaller companies. 6 months ago, I would have told you it's a lock that you'll make up the lower base in more commission/bonuses. But the changes to the comp plan have made me seriously skeptical of the risk. It also remains to be seen whether the equity plan for recent employees will make up the difference.

- SMB customer success. Cases take a full day to escalate from customer support to a customer enablement manager. Client emails us with urgent technical issue that requires resolution immediately, but the process takes 48 hours to resolve. AM's have very little visibility into who their assigned CEM is, what CEMs will or won't do, and who they should talk to when there's a problem with an account because CEMs + account assignments change on a quarterly basis it feels like. We get one presentation a year on this, but then in practice it all falls apart. I don't think the problem is the people, they're all great and strive to help to the best of their ability. It's the process and structure that truly boggles the mind.

-Product performance. Without getting too detailed, some aspects of our products underperform compared to the market and often we struggle to justify ROI with customers. Help us by building a stronger product and improving the type of data we have access to that builds a successful partnership business case.

Advice to Management

Fix comp/quotas/books for the growth team ASAP. Work on building out more customer facing data and more creative ways to slice and dice the data.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review - I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. As you know, we’ve put a major focus on comp and quotas lately and that work is not done... More

"I love this place! But..."

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is one of the best companies I have ever worked for! The team I am on is amazing! I feel respected and supported by them everyday. In addition, I am surrounded by other like-minded individuals that push me to be a better version of myself everyday. These aren't just co-workers, but some of the best of friends and people I consider almost family. Our work environment is collaborative which I absolutely LOVE! There is an opportunity to learn and grow not only as an employee, but as an individual. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and there is no shortage of drive (until recently).

Cons

There is a reason behind my 3 star review. With an ever evolving business, I understand that changes need to be made. One of the perks of working at GD is an "uncapped commission," meaning if a rep performs well, the opportunity to make more money is there. Recently, we had a shift in our compensation plan that changed this. We were told that the reason quotas being rolled out in April were delayed was due to perfecting the compensation plans, yet we were to find out that the drastic changes were not communicated to our leadership and then to us. Now, we have capped commission and we've removed all bonuses for retaining current client base. All "bonuses" that we can receive for hitting our numbers each quarter are already built into our target, rather than extra money we can make after hitting full quota. This is causing those with extreme drive and passion to feel that's not enough - quotas are too high and impossible to hit.

Advice to Management

Transparency is a common theme and something we hold to the highest value here. It's one of my favorite things about the company, but recently a lack of communication amongst the organization has caused me to feel a bit deceived. I'm disappointed that communication regarding the changes to our plan wasn't communicated clearer, earlier and that there seems to be no resolution in sight. Bring back incentives to retain clients and when a rep hits their number, we should receive an actual bonus. Your employees have always been your focus. Treat them right and their loyalty will always bleed Green.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m sorry to hear your frustrations. If you feel comfortable, I highly encourage you to reach out to me for a conversation. Part of my job is making sure our teams in every office have an... More

"And, We're Back!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Mission: Glassdoor has a mission I can really get behind - Help people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. You can feel that at the core of everything we do. It's the reason why we all go to work!

My Colleagues: I love the people I work with! Glassdoor recruits and keeps some of the brightest, most creative, friendly, funny, welcoming people I have ever met. My teammates encourage me to be genuine and real and provide the personal and professional support I was looking for in a team. My efforts and my personality have been acknowledged and appreciated here.

My Manager: My manager is incredible. He is remarkably talented at coaching individual members as well as coaching to the team which has made us all tight knit and one another's biggest fans. Personally, he has taught me a process, pushed me outside my comfort zone, and cultivated a confidence in me that I am so grateful for. He truly is a role model and a dear friend. Our entire team sees his tireless dedication to our team, to the company, and, most importantly, his family. He is all around a stellar human that we are lucky to know and work with.

Our Leaders: Leadership listens! I wrote a review about 6 months ago that was quite critical about where we were as a sales org. This included a critique of new processes that had been implemented that seemed to be slowing us down, as well as the tough quota targets. As a side note, that review was still 4 stars because I love Glassdoor. Anyways, since then, our middle management, VPs, and Exec Team responded to the reviews on Glassdoor, addressed concerns in town halls, implemented a new internal feedback loop (Glint), and, over time, solved for our biggest problems by reducing quotas and giving the sales team the opportunity to earn back lost dollars due to poor initial plan.

At the first half of 2016, Glassdoor had dropped the ball but I am happy to say that they have picked it up and are running hard toward the goal line. I love this company and am so proud to be part of a an org that REALLY LISTENS and WANTS TO DO RIGHT by it's employees.

Cons

Our biggest strength is our biggest weakness: we are a start up. Start up means that sometimes things are humming and jiving and other times things are broken and disorganized.

Career Development and Training could be improved. Processes are a work in progress. We have been iterating for a few years so innovation to product and positioning is welcome.

Although there are things to be improved, if I've learned anything in the 10 years I've been in the workforce and the 3 years I've been at Glassdoor, it's that things are not always perfect. I've also learned that really great companies and wonderful leaders seek to learn from those not so perfect times to make the organization better moving forward. Glassdoor and our CEO does that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and lean on your employees to offer feedback before, during, and after we implement big changes. We want to help. CS and Implementation still need some cleaning up and morale boosts. AE side needs some TLC and their managers NEED more training to build stronger, more motivated teams. We will continue to lose people if we don't. There needs to be A LOT more effort put into training and ongoing career development. You have very talented people at your org, don't let their brains and motivation to be better go to waste (that's how you hit numbers).

"Couldn't Ask For A Better Fit"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You’ll see this in every review that you read, but the people are what make Glassdoor such a special place. From the moment I set foot through these doors, I was welcomed with open arms. From my manager, whom I would literally follow into a burning building, to my teammates, who are more like my siblings than coworkers. Not to mention all of our amazing teams outside of sales who are often the unsung heroes. Everyone wants to lend a helping hand to get you where you need to be personally and professionally.

As I mentioned before, my direct manager is a big part of the reason why I am so happy here. Without him I know I would not be where I am today. And that’s true for our whole leadership team. They genuinely want me to be successful here and will do whatever they can to make that happen.

The last thing I’ll say is that working on the other side of the bridge is pretty great too. When things get a little overwhelming, being able to go outside and walk it out on the bike path overlooking the Bay and Mt. Tam, really help to reset and get back on track.

Honestly, it’s hard to put into words, but most times it’s just awesome to be a part of this company.

Cons

I won’t lie: it’s hard, and some days are harder than others. There’s no getting around putting in the work here. That said, my biggest challenge is the amount of factors that are outside of our control and how that can impact one’s success: where a company is located, how many open jobs they might have compared to the year prior, content issues, a client’s performance, Customer Success, internal processes, etc. These are all challenges we face when trying to hit our quota and it can be very defeating and frustrating. It can sometimes feel like some people are better set up for success than others based on their book of business or their support team.

You’ll likely read some reviews that talk about how our company’s culture is gone. I wouldn’t say that it’s gone, it’s just different. I don’t think we ever lost that Glassdoor family feel, but when you go from personally seeing success over and over to suddenly not, sometimes sending out a few more emails, or leaving one more voicemail becomes more important than a dress up day or monthly award ceremony. Participation is lacking but only because there is a lot of “catch up” to hit numbers. It isn’t just one person who makes a company’s culture, but rather the collective whole, and this past year was rough on the collective whole.

You’ll also read some reviews about compensation. Living in the most expensive city is not easy. And yes, I would like to get paid more so that maybe one day I can buy a house and maybe even start a family. For now, the office environment and the people are what make the discrepancy in comp bearable, but I do worry that at some point the allure of all that will not shine as bright as it does now.

Advice to Management

I know we are working, and making changes to become a grown-up company (don’t get me wrong, fixes to our internal processes cannot come soon enough), but can we just make sure we find a way to become that well-established company without totally sacrificing that youthful spirit that made people want to come to work and stay here in the first place? If it’s the people that make this place great, let’s continue to listen to them, take care of them and value them.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

I totally agree, it’s the people who make this place incredible, and I’m so grateful for our culture and the team we have in place. I also agree that it has evolved and with that evolution comes new... More