Glassdoor Customer Success Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Hallelujah!!!!!!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Leadership is clearly listening to us! If I had been writing this review even just a few days ago, I would not have much to write in this section. However, due to recent announcements of the departure of senior Customer Success leadership I'm realizing that we have not been screaming into a void. Robert and others are listening to us and understand that our toxic and tyrannical senior leader needed to be replaced if we are to ever recover from a hard 2016.

I have renewed faith in the organization and am confident that we will "feel the wind at our backs" once again (to quote Robert from an all-hands late last year). Full disclosure: I had a full schedule of interviews this week that I can now cancel with a smile on my face, as I am optimistic that with these organization changes and a key blocker removed from the equation, we can mature into an amazing company.

Cons

I could write a novel detailing the intimidation tactics that many of us endured from former department leadership, but with recent developments considered I have nothing to say other than that I'm excited to stay at Glassdoor!!

Advice to Management

I can not thank you enough, Robert, for listening. You made the right decision.

Mar 20, 2017 – VP & GM of Online Business Operations

Thanks for sharing this feedback, and I’m truly glad to hear Glassdoor is the right place for you. Change is never easy, but we continue to move forward in exciting times. We wish everyone who... More

"Customer Success: the overheated engine on the brink of a huge burn-out"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and Executive Team. The most authentic and transparent CEO I will ever work for. We've hired some of the best of the Bay Area talent (and in the industry) to take us to the next level, from no longer a 'teenage startup.' Career and growth opportunities are everywhere. The momentum of our company is electric, thrilling. Glassdoor hires wonderful, 'on top of their game' passionate, skillful human beings. We truly have an amazing product. We live by our mission, to help people everywhere find a job and company they love, and I wholeheartedly feel that I daily contribute to this mission.

Cons

Robert: your Service Org is in desperate need of intervention, as we are facing a mass Exodus. Your best performers are leaving, and it pains me to daily learn of other star-employees that are sprucing up their resumes. We are not backfilling in time for the upcoming (exciting!) monster of a quarter that is Q3.

I am here to say what is on the tip of almost every Sales/Service employee's tongue: although brilliant, the VP of Customer Success is absolutely not a good culture fit at Glassdoor.

I dread the upcoming Oct-Dec season: our busiest, most exciting time of year for new deals and renewals. To say we are understaffed & unprepared is an understatement. Please examine our Implementation Org: where are the new hires? Listen to the Sales team: our Implementation process is broken. My heart breaks to see tenured Implementation managers (that bleed Glassdoor green) demoted to Independent Contractors due to poor executive leadership, a backed-up implementation queue, and not enough head count. We had an opportunity to promote IMs from within, but no movement was made. We only have two individuals working on enterprise implementations today, and our clients are noticing, big-time. Tasks that previously carried a 24 - 48hour DTI, now take 10+ days.

90% of the Customer Success organization has had a forced job description change without notice, and our bonuses have been cut in half. You can imagine what this has done to morale. CSM/CEMs are tasked with more, staying later, and being paid less.

There is zero role definition. My ask is for the Executive Team to clearly define to Sales and Service what a CSM actually does, and get both teams to agree. Our current job descriptions overlap with Growth Account Managers, leaving room for confused clients and frustrated employees. I will fail miserably at hitting all of my strategic touchpoint metrics if my Account Managers continue to operate as they did before the rollout of CS 2.0.

The word 'strategic' is the new buzz word around here, yet the organizational changes prevent us from being 'strategic' - we spend most of our time managing very manual media products. It's truly no wonder we are burning: Our VP has redesigned the entire service org as if we are a SaaS company. We are not a SaaS company: we sell incredible, best-in-class media products that require surprisingly hands-on supervision, human manipulation, and manual bid-adjusting. CSMs are now expected to have the lead hand in employee engagement campaigns, client training/education, product adoption, strategic touchpoints, responding to reviews training, implementation facilitation, onboarding, client calls & meetings, in person travel, CPC bid adjusting, renewals, QBR deck build contributions, display optimizations, budgeting, proof of concepts, forecasting, campaign management and reporting. It's no wonder we have CPC pacing issues. If CSMs are to become strategic partners, we need managing bids off of our plates, or we need an automated bidding platform for Job Ads. Every other key player in the wonderful world of recruitment marketing has this technology.

Advice to Management

Where most managers can be relied on for specific answers to common product questions or client scenarios, my manager cannot be relied upon. My manager is a wonderful person, but technically inept.

The Service Org is an overheated engine in desperate need of an oil change, so that we can function efficiently for our upcoming busiest time of year. If we do not receive role definition, an automated bidding software for Job Ads, and more head count, we will continue to lose valued clients and employee alike. You must save this sinking ship.

Nov 15, 2016 – Vice President of Customer Success

Your role and responsibilities are not for the faint of heart. That's for sure. And, this is a strong, hard working and positive team. We need to ensure we preserve what's best about it while moving... More

"CS team is in shambles"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the CS org are amazing. Really good people who you will love working with. Benefits are good too. The intention of Glassdoor is also good. What we do as a job as a CSM is also rewarding and fun. I love helping a client understand they value they are getting from our product. I know the value I bring to the table with my clients every single day. It's too bad that no one outside of CS realizes this value.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. There is so much that is wrong right now in CS. We have a fairly new VP who has come in and done her best to restructure, to make this team strategic, but there is only so much one person can do when the CEO doesn't see value in the team she was hired to lead. I'm not even sure he sees value in the overall CSM function (because he doesn't understand it), but I think he knows enough to know what we had before wasn't working which is why he hired her, but things have just gotten worse. I had hoped they would get better with an experienced executive in the mix.

The perceived lack of value is something that stems from CEO to all other areas of the company, and impacts us because Sales sees us as nothing more than simple robots who should be running jobs campaigns perfectly. The reality is that we have too many clients to run all of the campaigns effectively, especially when things outside of running campaigns keep falling on our plates. They really pile things on the CS team.. it is all designed to take things off Sales's plate, but the crazy thing is that Account Managers continue to do the CSM job and don't to what it is they need to do, which is dig into accounts and expand relationships and dollars.

Sales leadership sees us as little more than glorified admins - thus sales treats us as such, and we feel demoralized and totally undervalued. Our AM counterparts push the admin stuff of the job onto us, but won't let go of the strategic stuff that we're now supposed to be doing. They aren't hitting their quotas (as you can see in all of these other reviews) but if the Account Managers would stop doing CSM work and focus on selling and expanding their existing client base, they might actually do that. But Sales Leadership doesn't trust the CSM team to be strategic and handle the day to day for the accounts, and the sales reps certainly don't.

The best example I can give is the Sales Alerts that go out. These are the most demeaning thing to me and the rest of the CSM team. We are barely mentioned other than to indicate who the CSM on the account is .. and it's not always that we deserve a mention, but even when we did something, it's barely recognized when the manager sends it out. Even worse, when others reply all to this email, it's always "great job Account Manager", never, "good job TEAM", or anything to mention that the AM couldn't have done it with out the CSM. Something that is supposed to be a celebration of success - OUR success as a team - ends up demoralizing and showing me that I am not valued over and over and over again. It's insulting and I don't even look at the alerts anymore because I don't want to feel like that anymore.

Because of this lack of perceived value, we are all underpaid. This is a Glassdoor theme though, as we aren't known for paying top dollar. The equity is supposed to balance that, but no one on the CS team has enough equity to mean anything. Again, we aren't valued. We are supposed to be taking more and more things off of Sale's plate so that they can achieve their sales goals - but we aren't compensated for this. We have quotas, but the amount of money we are paid in comparison to the AM team is borderline insulting. CS at Glassdoor is thought of as a cost center, not as a function that both saves & brings in revenue, and this is felt by our team daily.

People in the CS org are leaving left and right, people who have been through all of it and people who have built it. They're gone. Morale is so low right now and I don't like coming to work anymore. I am not alone. What keeps me coming back is the company mission and the people I work with, those that I'm in the trenches with, I want to see it work with them. I want this to turn around at Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Make a decision about the CS team.

Do you want people to just run CPC campaigns and run them perfectly? then make that our only job. We don't need a strategic team to do that, we just need people who can gather basic requirements and make adjustments based on the details provided. You can even combine the IMs and CSMs to do this like at Indeed.

Do you want us to be the day to day/strategic person on the account so sales can grow & sell? Robert, then you need to get involved and make that happen. That will involve more than just lip service. You need to change the way you think about this team - and really get that managing accounts and working with clients on the day to day IS valuable and DOES have a great deal to do with the reason why our clients renew. We aren't Service people. Service is different, and we have been branded and thought of as service for too long. Once, we "just built profiles" and now we "just maintain campaigns". There is so much more to what we do, and the fact that you don't get it is insulting. If you want this team to be strategic, then you need to change the way you think before anyone else in the company is going to.

Additionally, not all accounts need a CSM. Move the line from CEM/CSM up. WAY up. Even accounts paying above the line don't have much room for growth, and the AM/CSM on the account are fighting for stuff to do. A lot of your AMs are actually CSMs - but Robert, if you knew what a CSM was actually supposed to do you'd already know that.

I'm being harsh on Robert here because it's really a top down culture at Glassdoor. Your thoughts and leadership permeate everything and much of the sales leadership team is not experienced in working with a CSM at other companies, so it's your thoughts that shape how we're thought of. I think you're a great guy, and a decent leader but when it comes to CS you are not doing a great job, you are failing us. Sales isn't just the people who bring in the contracts. There's a lot more that goes into it.

Sales leadership - give the CSM on the account the credit they deserve in the sales alerts. If you don't think we deserve it, then please remove our names from the announcement. it's insulting.

Nov 15, 2016 – Vice President of Customer Success

I agree that there are a great group of people that make up the Customer Success function here at Glassdoor. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations.You've spoken. We've... More

"Burning up from inside"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Colleagues are genuinely nice people and everybody makes a great effort to create a sense of belonging.

Cons

Work/life balance is out of control, due to excessive workload. This comes with the growth of the company as a whole, but it looks like a blind eye is being turned on too many instances where people are too stretched.
    Due to major changes across the organisation, a lot of time is required to follow up/understand/navigate internal processes and support, which takes already limited time away from core job
    The client success team in particular is struggling big time. Alarms were raised ​in the last few months, but for a company that pretends to be start-up, changes are slow to be felt. Things actually seem to be getting worse instead of better.
    Seemingly, there is a lot of politics happening at all levels in the company, which is taking effort & focus away from core job.

Advice to Management

Robert, make sure you keep everybody aligned and allocate budget where necessary. I understand that you want to balance spending against the rate at which we grow, but you're running employees in the ground by not providing the conditions they need to succeed.

Nov 15, 2016 – Vice President of Customer Success

I'm sorry you feel like the workload is excessive. I know how hard this team is working. The CSM/CEM job is both tough and critical. We are dedicating both time in developing additional tools that... More

5. "Hard, Fast and Fun"

Current Employee - Manager of Customer Success - EMEA in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Everyone at Glassdoor plays a role in changing the world for the better.

-GD employees are pushed outside of their own comfort zones; everyone has a chance to learn and grow.

-The Company is willing to own up to its shortcomings and always strives to improve. This helps me weather the occasional crappy day. It's all part of the journey.

-This remains the best job I've ever had and the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

-On the B2B side, we offer solutions for Employer Branding, Recruiting and Display Advertising. It can be difficult for the collective staff to truly specialize across all three areas. The result is that some solutions are sold, supported and positioned better than others.

-The "squeaky wheel gets the oil" idiom rings very true here. It makes sense, and it can be a good thing. However, in some cases, there are probably more efficient ways for GD to make sure we're prioritizing various needs and initiatives appropriately.

-Along with our immense growth has come some challenges in employees feeling appreciated. It happens.

Advice to Management

Client-facing employees are an invaluable source of input. Thankfully, Product is listening to our feedback more than ever. Thank you and please keep it up!

Please let me hire 1-2 more employees ASAP. I need them! :) (See "squeaky wheel" comment above).

Sep 13, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

I would completely agree that your feedback is invaluable! Our customer facing organizations are speaking with our customers daily and we are working hard to improve our feedback mechanisms... More