Glassdoor Director of Product Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager (in 59 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Challenging, rewarding, difficult, awesome..."

Current Employee - Senior Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Glassdoor for the past 3.5 years and I've been continually challenged and have had a lot of fun. I love my team. My engineering, UX and data science partners are great. It's a real joy to work side by side with them.

Working in Product here is a lot more fulfilling for me than at past companies because I truly believe in our mission. It makes all the difference in the world. Outside of buying in, time and time again I'm also reminded just how much the company cares about us and how we work. That's not to say that there are not mistakes made but rather, when mistakes are made or when we encounter setbacks, the leadership team is there to listen, consider, rally and support. There's a level of hands-on commitment from our management team that I've not consistently seen elsewhere.

I also love the fact that there are so many people that are so passionate about their work. As a PM it's really refreshing to have engineers and data scientists really push. Push back on ideas or direction. Raise their own perspectives. Work on great Hack Days projects that very often turn into site features. The best products that I've seen us ship come from teams that work this way and I'm happy to see it happening in so many teams.

To get a little list-like in the things I like, I'd say:
    - The mission
    - Challenging projects
    - Strong team (individual teams as well as the leadership team)
    - Great location
    - Lots of hands-on time with the leadership team
    - Flexible hours
    - Encouragement to take care of ourselves (physically, emotionally, etc.)

Cons

It's not all roses all the time, as you might imagine from a company that is growing quickly. That said, when things get hard for teams either because of market dynamics or because of internal changes, the leadership is there to help rally and ignite something in teams that will help us drive toward solutions (I'm speaking about the org as a whole here, not just Product). That's everything I could hope for.

I really struggle to think of "unchangeable cons" or "things that I think are problems that we're not already working on solving." It's a bit hard. So much of what I can think of is tied to a combination of Aggressive Goals + Wanting to Grow Responsibly. That combination leads to moments where we are stretched thin, moments where it just feels a lot harder than usual, etc. But in my experience, those moments are just that. A point in time.

"We're growing up, and I'm proud"

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started here a few years ago, we were a scrappy startup, flying by the seat of our pants, growing like crazy, and moving a million miles an hour. It was fun, but it was a mess. As someone who cares deeply about the success of this company, and about our mission, I'm really glad to see us being more measured, judicious, organized, and efficient.

Also, when I joined, the product vision was controlled by a clique of the "OG" leaders who had been with the company since the very early days. As we've grown up, we've hired more outsiders into product leadership roles, and developed more of a diversity of opinions. When this change started, people were scared. But it's clear that having more smart people collaborating is making us stronger and smarter and more creative.

I've never been more excited about the stuff I'm working on here than I am right now, and I've never been more optimistic about Glassdoor's future.

Cons

The transition to being a grown-up company has been trying at times. Even though we're changing for the better, change is always hard. And some people are unhappy about it (click the "Ratings Trends" link next to the star rating above -- looks pretty bad these days). The real turbulence is happening in the sales org and not product/engineering, so I can't really speak to it. On the tech side, we're humming. But churn/turnover, and a small, vocal group of unhappy sales people does take a real toll on everyone's morale.

Advice to Management

Keep in investing in innovation. There is so much more we can do.

"Great culture and people but need to address scaling issues"

Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA

Pros

People are fun, smart and motivated. They genuinely like being there. The CEO is very open and transparent about pretty much everything. A lot of information is shared in weekly all hands meetings, and employees do have a good idea of where the company is heading, the challenges ahead, why they make certain decisions (like funding rounds), etc.

It is definitely a high-potential company. Glassdoor is not going away and an IPO is inevitable. So probably a decent upside for those who stick around. And of course the perks are fantastic. Catered and healthy food, free well-equipped gym with free crossfit/bootcamp/yoga classes, snacks, kayaks to take out into the bay, etc. Location is beautiful, right by the bay with views of water and hills, and running trails all around.

From a product mgmt perspective, the engineers are high quality and take a lot of ownership. Things move pretty fast from ideation to execution.

Cons

While I believe that everyone in the executive leadership team is well-intentioned and want Glassdoor to succeed while creating a great culture, I think more needs to be done in order to scale. This is especially true in the product and marketing organizations. It is always hard for founders or early employees to make room as the company grows and to cede control. The shift from being a scrappy startup to a well-oiled growth engine with good processes/practices is not an easy one, but the change needs to be made. For this to happen, senior leaders need to move away from being very hands-on and driving every decision top-down to empowering their employees, trusting them to do the right things and encouraging constructive discussions/arguments. As a product leader especially, you cannot keep throwing terms like "let's be scrappy" when you should be driving sound practices through the product org that encourages good long-term planning, roadmapping process, socializing with stake holders, running experiments, etc. And when product managers feel like they do not have clear ownership and are mere foot soldiers when decisions are top down, then they will struggle to excel at their jobs. They will be left to defend ideas with various stake holders that are not their own and that they don't necessarily even believe in.

Advice to Management

Keep up your investment in creating a great culture and being transparent. However, help your senior leaders make the transition from 'scrappy' startup to a mature product org. They should focus on building out good practices/processes, empowering people and creating an atmosphere that encourages constructive arguments. True ownership (and not the illusion of it) is what retains good product people and helps build a great product org.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 10, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. It’s really helpful to read what works and where we can improve. We’re definitely a fast growing company and with that comes a lot of change, and we're doing our best to stay... More

"The pleasure of building something useful."

Current Employee - Director of Product in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) I've worked on a bunch of different consumer web and mobile applications. Glassdoor is the first one where I've had the experience of strangers thanking me for building a great product that made their lives better. Frequently, I meet new people and tell them that I work here, and they say, "Wow, cool, I use that. That's such a useful {site / app}. It just helped me {negotiate my salary / prepare for an interview / find a new job / avoid taking a job at a company that would have been bad for me / etc.}".

2) It's fast growing and successful, which is exciting. This, combined with the pleasure of building something useful, makes for extremely high morale among the employees. It makes it fun to come to work every day.

3) I commute by bicycle across the Golden Gate Bridge every day to Sausalito. It's a short trip, and it's gorgeous. The office is in a really beautiful spot by the water. There's a really nice deck with a view of the bay and the San Francisco skyline, with a grill and a kegerator full of beer. There's good quality of life working here.

Cons

The down side of fast growth is that we spend a lot of time on hiring and training new employees, which takes time away from "real" work. Also, it's tough trying to get into a rhythm, when we're constantly adding new team members.

Advice to Management

It's awesome to work here. Please try to keep this same passion and close-knit team spirit as we expand, evolve, go public, get bigger customers, move to bigger offices, etc.