Glassdoor Enterprise Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Enterprise Account Executive"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pro's about working for Glassdoor - strong leadership who is always willing to listen, great people - no ego's / everyone is constantly trying to help each other, talented support professionals, and lots of flexibility. We have big goals, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else besides here, helping us achieve those!

Cons

Things change frequently, so you do have to be able to adjust quickly. This is something you may have to get used to. However, now, I view this as a positive and enjoy how agile we can be.

Advice to Management

Incentivize client support reps with renewals, etc. so we don't loose anymore talented client support reps and implementation managers.

"Can you hear us???"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Flexibility, amazing people, and an industry disrupting platform. We have incredible ancillary benefits including fitness programs and free lunch

Cons

You have set us up in sales to fail. While you say that you hear us, you have done nothing to address this issue. Alternatively, you have positioned your middle managers to make us feel like we aren't doing our jobs up to your standards. 10% of the entire sales org hit their quarterly goal last quarter. Really???

The upper management you've put in place are constantly in meetings (about what??), therefore out of sight. There is no acknowledgement that you set the bar to an unrealistic height.

My personal confidence is down the toilet. And I'm basically poor on top of that. Please sell me on why I should stay?

Advice to Management

Respond to these reviews asap. Fix the quotas and commission rates.

Jul 29, 2016 – VP Sales

Ouch - two stars. We are clearly not getting it done in terms of communicating with you or supporting you in the ways you need. We are actively meeting (yes, those pesky meetings) to discuss many of... More

"Things are not so good right now"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a fast-growing late stage start-up making a real impact in the world - we're helping people find great jobs and helping companies find ideal talent. The people here are awesome, starting at the top with our CEO. Robert is an inspiration to all - he's ethical, passionate, approachable, intelligent, and willing to help the sales team. In fact, everyone is willing to help whenever assistance or advice is needed.

I love the flexibility of working from home, when it’s necessary – this is a real benefit that matters in an area like San Francisco where traffic can be unpleasant.

There's great opportunity to advance in your career and get promoted, if you work hard and stay focused. Glassdoor has been the best place I’ve ever worked.

Cons

Things have changed quite a bit over the last several months, and it’s sad to say – this place isn’t as great as it once was.

Compensation is now far lower than many similar stage companies in the SF Bay Area (48% below national average for Enterprise Account Executives, according to Glassdoor's own data) and worse, we just received our compensation package for the first quarter of 2016 (2 months late), my quota has tripled from last year and my commission rate has been cut by 50%. This means I literally have to sell 3x what I sold last year to make the same amount of money. Everyone in sales understands that quotas will go up each year and at a start-up like Glassdoor, commission rates will go down – but this is painful. Glassdoor has a model that punishes people who perform at a high level. Instead of rewarding the best, Glassdoor uses a formula that makes everyone’s on-target-earnings the exact same – which means that if you are terrific at your job and have years of experience, you have to sell more 2-3x what someone who started last week has to sell to make the exact same amount of money. It feels like this model is a short-sighted blitzkrieg to cut costs for an IPO, but will lead the most senior talent to quit, which will be much more challenging for Glassdoor long after the "funding event" that is "going public". It is quite strange considering we preach nothing but culture, transparency, and keeping employees happy - yet our recent actions defy all of that logic.

Sales Operations has been a true pain to work with over the last several months. It seems like they get thrills on kicking deals back to us after the sale, asking us to get amendments signed and new paperwork completed. This is needed on almost every deal because it's difficult to create a quote and agreement correctly. Now, it takes multiple days of approvals at several levels to process quotes and send agreements - and as mentioned, it still doesn't work right.

There are a lot of questions around territories right now - a major important part of the sales structure that feels like it was neglected. What’s most painful is that the way territories will be divided is based on a scoring methodology that is inaccurate. Many people have of anxiety around what our territories will look like in just a few weeks.

Morale on the sales floor is low; many feel defeated with our new comp plans – with anxiety/ uncertainty about how things will be moving forward. I feel like I am in a bad situation, but when I hear about how bad other reps quotas and commissions got hit, I cringe.

Advice to Management

On-site gyms, free meals, and yoga are neat, but what we need is a fast remedy for our ailments. We need decisions to be made logically, and to think long-term rather than to be so short-sighted…and we’d love our voice to be heard – this is what real culture is about.

I know we are working on all of this stuff currently, but it feels like much has gone sideways over the last several months. We need to get our house in check - clean up sales ops, get commission and comp plans improved and in place, and get pricing and territories straightened out.

Senior salespeople should be invited on conversations around these topics – we claim transparency, but most decisions are made behind closed doors and then rolled out in a less than desirable way i.e. “Your new tear sheets will be coming out today, sign it today and get paid. Don’t sign it, you won’t get paid.” That doesn’t give us a warm feeling, especially when we know we are about to make less money and the tear sheets will likely be incorrect – and they were incorrect for some.

I love this company, it truly is the best place I’ve ever been employed, but we've got a lot of work to do – and we should do it fast or I fear some of the best will walk. I am optimistic we can fix things - please do not hesitate to ask us for help.

Feb 28, 2016 – VP Sales

We hear you! These changes have been hard. We know that and we are living through it with you. As we head into FY17, we will do so with solid plans in place. We are reading the reviews and we're... More

"Exciting direction- Sales"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very simple business model that capitalizes on real trends in consumer behavior.
    Culture is extremely important. Feedback is constantly being solicited about the direction of the organization
    Support from marketing. The Glassdoor brand is everywhere which makes selling much easier

Cons

Feedback is always being solicited about the direction of the org (yes, that can be a con).
    Very competitive market of recruitment advertising. Most companies try to spend less on recruitment, not more.
    Aggressive growth goals

Advice to Management

It's great that the company thinks about the employees, but more decisions need to be made top-down and communicated clearly. Don't create too much of an employee ownership culture

Jun 3, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your thoughts. Point taken on our need to get really good at clear communication. This becomes even more important as we scale. We're always working on this and I welcome your ideas.

"We love Glassdoor but need some more love back!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company and great value add to the recruitment industry. We get to help people find jobs they love and it's a great message!

CEO is a great guy, really down to earth and passionate about our vision

Great people and coworkers. I've made lifelong friends in a short amount of time

Cons

1- New comp plan: I'm being told that I need to sell more, while getting less commission. So I basically have to work harder and get paid the same or less (VERY likely we will make less as the goals are lofty). We are regressing, not progressing. This is drastic even by industry standards

The mid-level managers are going to bat for us and trying to make things fair and keep us happy. But we have no insight into these things and it's hard for us to keep believing that the team has their best interest out for us. Is there a way to make us more involved in these conversations so we aren't blindsided?

When I'm told as an employee that I don't deserve an increase in pay because of a stellar performance last year and it's going to be harder for me to make the same amount of money. Soul crushing...you just took away all my sales mojo :(

2. Unable to make decisions in a reasonable time:

Pricing needs fixing ASAP. I understand we are reviewing but this is urgent and has been going on since last year. There are so many layers of approvals that it's hurting us on the front lines. This also goes for territory shifts and changes. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard "we are doing scoring" What is the scoring? Can we see it? Everything is in a black box and we only hear about it on Friday afternoons (seriously, every comp plan, quota, territory email). There is going to be fallout, don't be afraid to address it

3. Sales Ops:

They rule the roost and management has no authority over them whatsoever (seems that way). Aren't the sales team their internal customer? I'm not saying we need world class service, but clear communication, email responses, quotes that work and don't change things without telling us would be nice.

Honestly, I'd rather deal with my cable company

Advice to Management

We keep being told to look at the "big picture" I get it. But here's the fact, the people that are looking at the "big picture" have "big SHARES and equity in GD" and are not in the office day to day in sales, ops, engineering, marketing etc...

Let's look at our "little picture" it's people's livelihoods, children's education and their mortgages. The majority of people are not going to get super rich off of their shares and depend on fair compensation to offset it.

There are certain decisions that have to be made because of the bigger picture, I get it! Just tell us, don't leave us in the dark or wait until after people complain :)

Mar 4, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

I know it's hard to adjust to new structures. Especially when they keep changing. We are sorting through the plans and our processes and we are taking the feedback to heart. Yes, decisions should be... More

6. "Still loving every day"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 2.5 years in sales (which is a lifetime in the Bay Area). I still am just as excited to go to work today as I was on day one. We have changed a lot and had plenty of ups and downs but there's no place I'd rather be. We operate as a team and support each other no matter what the situation. Leadership is strong and opportunities to advance still exist. That's all good stuff for a company entering its 8th year.

Cons

Management has become quite layered over time. What used to take 5 minutes to get approval on now takes a couple days. Sometimes communication breaks down between those layers. This is all part of the natural progression from start up to big boy company.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend time with your senior team members so we don't feel forgotten. Make sure to always come to us for feedback when changes are imminent so we can prepare. Never forget where we came from.

Feb 25, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Great reminder. I love the scrappiness that we all have at this stage. It's a big part of our DNA and I don't ever want to lose that. With more offices, more leaders and more people, we do have to... More

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Rockford, MI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Rockford, MI

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of such an amazing company is awesome. What we do for our users is so needed and appreciated by job seekers - it really makes it fun to be a part of Glassdoor. Additionally, what we do for employers is also needed and our customers appreciate working with Glassdoor and the value they receive from our products. Finally - Glassdoorians are always having fun, getting better professionally and personally - and making a difference in the community. It really is THE. BEST. PLACE. TO. WORK.

Cons

The rapid pace of life at Glassdoor can overwhelm you sometimes. Not sure if this will slow down anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Please keep on working to keep our culture so awesome as we continue to grow.

"Loving Life at Glassdoor"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch!
    -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter
    -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team
    -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business.
    -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere
    -I adore my colleagues
    -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city)
    -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore
    -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments
    -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires
    -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more!
    -Focus on our culture as we grow
    -Keep up the great work!

"Absolutely Amazing"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the most fun place I have worked. The entire organization, from product, to engineering, sales, to C Suite are fantastic. It is exciting to be part of an organization where everyone truly believes in what we do.

Cons

Typical hyper growth startup challenges. Territories shifting, policies changing etc. However, these challenges, if you can call them that, are dwarfed by how great it is to work with such a wonderful group of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency!

"Good changes are a-comin'!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$50M in growth for an international expansion - awesome
    48% of people NOW use Glassdoor in their job searching process - awesome
    Name recognition "Glassdoor" is skyrocketing - awesome
    Basically the company is growing like wild fire, which is..... awesome.

In addition, if feels SUPER good to be part of a company who's products actually work! Honestly, I feel 100% confident in selling Glassdoor products, because they have helped every employer I know. And it's great to work for a company where I can come into the office everyday (or work from home), and know that I am helping people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love.

Cons

With great growth, comes some pretty big changes. There's been some good and bad changes to the comp structure of the sales team. Things are getting better, but change is of course not easy.

Communication is also getting much harder across the organization, I'm not always aware what the product teams are working on, or what is coming down the pipeline. Also, finding the right person to speak with about x,y, or z may be hard if you're just starting out here. But at least with Glassdoor we maintain a small org feel, so there are still weekly huddles, and I still feel like I can walk into the CEO's office, and talk to him about anything. That's great.

Advice to Management

Great job across the board. Please continue to iron out the compensation plan for the sales team asap.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and review. I'm glad to hear the the new comp plan and sales model is working for you. The past three months have definitely seen quite a few changes as we have transitioned... More