Glassdoor Enterprise Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 36 reviews)

• "The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley" (in 20 reviews)

1. "Still loving every day"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 2.5 years in sales (which is a lifetime in the Bay Area). I still am just as excited to go to work today as I was on day one. We have changed a lot and had plenty of ups and downs but there's no place I'd rather be. We operate as a team and support each other no matter what the situation. Leadership is strong and opportunities to advance still exist. That's all good stuff for a company entering its 8th year.

Cons

Management has become quite layered over time. What used to take 5 minutes to get approval on now takes a couple days. Sometimes communication breaks down between those layers. This is all part of the natural progression from start up to big boy company.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend time with your senior team members so we don't feel forgotten. Make sure to always come to us for feedback when changes are imminent so we can prepare. Never forget where we came from.

Feb 25, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Great reminder. I love the scrappiness that we all have at this stage. It's a big part of our DNA and I don't ever want to lose that. With more offices, more leaders and more people, we do have to... More

"Can you hear us???"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Flexibility, amazing people, and an industry disrupting platform. We have incredible ancillary benefits including fitness programs and free lunch

Cons

You have set us up in sales to fail. While you say that you hear us, you have done nothing to address this issue. Alternatively, you have positioned your middle managers to make us feel like we aren't doing our jobs up to your standards. 10% of the entire sales org hit their quarterly goal last quarter. Really???

The upper management you've put in place are constantly in meetings (about what??), therefore out of sight. There is no acknowledgement that you set the bar to an unrealistic height.

My personal confidence is down the toilet. And I'm basically poor on top of that. Please sell me on why I should stay?

Advice to Management

Respond to these reviews asap. Fix the quotas and commission rates.

Jul 29, 2016 – VP Sales

Ouch - two stars. We are clearly not getting it done in terms of communicating with you or supporting you in the ways you need. We are actively meeting (yes, those pesky meetings) to discuss many of... More

"Things are not so good right now"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a fast-growing late stage start-up making a real impact in the world - we're helping people find great jobs and helping companies find ideal talent. The people here are awesome, starting at the top with our CEO. Robert is an inspiration to all - he's ethical, passionate, approachable, intelligent, and willing to help the sales team. In fact, everyone is willing to help whenever assistance or advice is needed.

I love the flexibility of working from home, when it’s necessary – this is a real benefit that matters in an area like San Francisco where traffic can be unpleasant.

There's great opportunity to advance in your career and get promoted, if you work hard and stay focused. Glassdoor has been the best place I’ve ever worked.

Cons

Things have changed quite a bit over the last several months, and it’s sad to say – this place isn’t as great as it once was.

Compensation is now far lower than many similar stage companies in the SF Bay Area (48% below national average for Enterprise Account Executives, according to Glassdoor's own data) and worse, we just received our compensation package for the first quarter of 2016 (2 months late), my quota has tripled from last year and my commission rate has been cut by 50%. This means I literally have to sell 3x what I sold last year to make the same amount of money. Everyone in sales understands that quotas will go up each year and at a start-up like Glassdoor, commission rates will go down – but this is painful. Glassdoor has a model that punishes people who perform at a high level. Instead of rewarding the best, Glassdoor uses a formula that makes everyone’s on-target-earnings the exact same – which means that if you are terrific at your job and have years of experience, you have to sell more 2-3x what someone who started last week has to sell to make the exact same amount of money. It feels like this model is a short-sighted blitzkrieg to cut costs for an IPO, but will lead the most senior talent to quit, which will be much more challenging for Glassdoor long after the "funding event" that is "going public". It is quite strange considering we preach nothing but culture, transparency, and keeping employees happy - yet our recent actions defy all of that logic.

Sales Operations has been a true pain to work with over the last several months. It seems like they get thrills on kicking deals back to us after the sale, asking us to get amendments signed and new paperwork completed. This is needed on almost every deal because it's difficult to create a quote and agreement correctly. Now, it takes multiple days of approvals at several levels to process quotes and send agreements - and as mentioned, it still doesn't work right.

There are a lot of questions around territories right now - a major important part of the sales structure that feels like it was neglected. What’s most painful is that the way territories will be divided is based on a scoring methodology that is inaccurate. Many people have of anxiety around what our territories will look like in just a few weeks.

Morale on the sales floor is low; many feel defeated with our new comp plans – with anxiety/ uncertainty about how things will be moving forward. I feel like I am in a bad situation, but when I hear about how bad other reps quotas and commissions got hit, I cringe.

Advice to Management

On-site gyms, free meals, and yoga are neat, but what we need is a fast remedy for our ailments. We need decisions to be made logically, and to think long-term rather than to be so short-sighted…and we’d love our voice to be heard – this is what real culture is about.

I know we are working on all of this stuff currently, but it feels like much has gone sideways over the last several months. We need to get our house in check - clean up sales ops, get commission and comp plans improved and in place, and get pricing and territories straightened out.

Senior salespeople should be invited on conversations around these topics – we claim transparency, but most decisions are made behind closed doors and then rolled out in a less than desirable way i.e. “Your new tear sheets will be coming out today, sign it today and get paid. Don’t sign it, you won’t get paid.” That doesn’t give us a warm feeling, especially when we know we are about to make less money and the tear sheets will likely be incorrect – and they were incorrect for some.

I love this company, it truly is the best place I’ve ever been employed, but we've got a lot of work to do – and we should do it fast or I fear some of the best will walk. I am optimistic we can fix things - please do not hesitate to ask us for help.

Feb 28, 2016 – VP Sales

We hear you! These changes have been hard. We know that and we are living through it with you. As we head into FY17, we will do so with solid plans in place. We are reading the reviews and we're... More

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Rockford, MI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Rockford, MI

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of such an amazing company is awesome. What we do for our users is so needed and appreciated by job seekers - it really makes it fun to be a part of Glassdoor. Additionally, what we do for employers is also needed and our customers appreciate working with Glassdoor and the value they receive from our products. Finally - Glassdoorians are always having fun, getting better professionally and personally - and making a difference in the community. It really is THE. BEST. PLACE. TO. WORK.

Cons

The rapid pace of life at Glassdoor can overwhelm you sometimes. Not sure if this will slow down anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Please keep on working to keep our culture so awesome as we continue to grow.

"Loving Life at Glassdoor"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch!
    -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter
    -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team
    -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business.
    -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere
    -I adore my colleagues
    -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city)
    -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore
    -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments
    -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires
    -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more!
    -Focus on our culture as we grow
    -Keep up the great work!

"Absolutely Amazing"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the most fun place I have worked. The entire organization, from product, to engineering, sales, to C Suite are fantastic. It is exciting to be part of an organization where everyone truly believes in what we do.

Cons

Typical hyper growth startup challenges. Territories shifting, policies changing etc. However, these challenges, if you can call them that, are dwarfed by how great it is to work with such a wonderful group of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency!

"Good changes are a-comin'!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$50M in growth for an international expansion - awesome
    48% of people NOW use Glassdoor in their job searching process - awesome
    Name recognition "Glassdoor" is skyrocketing - awesome
    Basically the company is growing like wild fire, which is..... awesome.

In addition, if feels SUPER good to be part of a company who's products actually work! Honestly, I feel 100% confident in selling Glassdoor products, because they have helped every employer I know. And it's great to work for a company where I can come into the office everyday (or work from home), and know that I am helping people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love.

Cons

With great growth, comes some pretty big changes. There's been some good and bad changes to the comp structure of the sales team. Things are getting better, but change is of course not easy.

Communication is also getting much harder across the organization, I'm not always aware what the product teams are working on, or what is coming down the pipeline. Also, finding the right person to speak with about x,y, or z may be hard if you're just starting out here. But at least with Glassdoor we maintain a small org feel, so there are still weekly huddles, and I still feel like I can walk into the CEO's office, and talk to him about anything. That's great.

Advice to Management

Great job across the board. Please continue to iron out the compensation plan for the sales team asap.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and review. I'm glad to hear the the new comp plan and sales model is working for you. The past three months have definitely seen quite a few changes as we have transitioned... More

"Inspiring to be part of a company that all job seekers love"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The #1 reason glassdoor is so great is because our mission is helping people everyone find the job they love. This is a big goal and will take many years to clearly become the best recruitment company in the world - so it's fun to have this exciting work ahead of us for years to come. In the short term - the pay is great & the culture is really fun - a strong IPO looks very probably given the history of our leadership and success of companies like TripAdvisor.

Cons

Typical startup issues - a lot of change but our senior leadership is good to guide us thru it all. Robert & Roop are amazing.

Advice to Management

I'm in sales - new products please :)

"Great Product, Culture, and Growth"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited snacks
    Friendly, energetic, and positive employees
    Extremely fast growing
    Really effective product - something I genuinely believe in
    Ability to make an impact in the company at an early stage
    Founders started very successful companies in the past
    Amazing and supportive company culture
    Ridiculously good health care

Cons

Training was dis-connected, but it is being improved
    Accounts are still scattered - not clear on who is working which Tiers or regions
    Office is kind of far away and hard to access if you do not live directly in Sausalito, plus there is the $5 toll if you live in San Francisco
    Compensation plan still needs ironing out

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to how you divide the accounts amongst employees

Also, a gym membership and/or free lunches would be great

10. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (US - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

"Great place to be if you believe in working hard and learning from smart peeople"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly intelligent and successful leadership.
    We're disrupting the market
    We're the talk of the industry
    Most people "get it" and those who don't typically don't need much convincing/explanation.
    We're not your typical one dimensional recruitment/HR company - i saw that from day 1 of training!
    Fast paced, hyper growth and true startup feel in London.
    Your work and effort doesn't go unnoticed and has an immediate impact.
    Surrounded by smart people
    The future, what we will accomplish is incredibly exciting and i'm excited to be a key part of our global growth.

Cons

The London office isn't quite as cool as HQ and we don't have the perks they have. We have to deal with miserable weather and even more miserable faces on the tube commuting to the office everyday. Added to that, we don't have free catered lunches, onsite gym, unlimited PTO, dogs at work, video games in the office, a nap room, kayaking at the office or an amazing view out the window!!

..In all seriousness this will change over time and we're currently in a trendy part of London but it's not quite Sausalito. For some reason the business simply wont take me seriously when i ask to be relocated to head office!!

UK Benefits are lacking somewhat but I know that's a matter of time before we're on a par with the US.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture, continue to listen to your employees regardless of their tenure and seniority within the business. There's something amazing happening here and I love being part of it and feeling valued.

May 28, 2015 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for the really thoughtful review. The London office, as you point out, is new and we are working to make it as great as our Sausalito office. You and everyone else in that office are a... More