Glassdoor Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great minds at this company. Nurtures my personal want to improve and increases my drive.

Cons

A lot of long time employees leaving due to a supposed "culture change" but I have not been around long enough to know the difference from 5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for the most part. Startups are constantly changing but the change in direction seems to have increased in recent months. Moving too quickly leads to half-assed execution which then leads to abandonment of the plan due to lack of results or ability to report on those results.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your feedback. Companies evolve and change as they grow, but we have always tried to maintain our culture and stay true to our mission of helping people everywhere find a job and company... More

"Best Company I've Worked For! (if you can handle moving targets...)"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Collaborative culture where people manner and feedback is greatly valued
    - Quality of candidate screening process - not a unilateral decision; every one on the team has a say
    - Work/Life balance: Able to leave at a decent hour and not expect a flood of emails in the evening or over weekends
    - Ability to grow professionally: management cares about fostering your talent and giving you opportunities to network, test/expand your skills, increase your responsibilities
    - Working cross-functionally: high likelihood to work with various teams and departments, rather than being siloed
    - On-boarding experience: thoughtful coaching, buddy system, well-paced training materials for sales and marketing staff
    - Visibility and transparency: Upper management is open about their plans/goals/initiatives, and regularly shares feedback and answers questions in bi-weekly company-wide huddles
    - Company events/socials: Fun company happy hours, team lunches, holiday parties, great company spirit - Wellness: Free food every day and fitness classes offered, great gym
    - Pay and equity: competitive pay and wonderful equity package for all employees
    - Dog-friendly policy: such a great way to boost morale and liven up the workplace
    - Quality of leaders/managers: thoughtful and careful selection of our leaders pays off, each executive team leader is respectable, highly motivating and effective at moving the organization forward
    - Great internship program and community involvement (e.g. Gratitude Lunch and Engineering After School program)

Cons

- Reign in your egos, middle-management: Despite everyone having equity in the company and boasting the "people first" motto, many middle-management leaders/directors posses and exhibit some serious egos. Rather than being collaborative, they have a tendency to shut down ideas, speak dismissively.
    - Exec managements limited understanding of B2B sales/marketing: As a marketing team member, it feels as though we are constantly fighting a battle to prove our worth and justify our spend. While, yes, marketing is responsible to generating pipe/bookings, there are countless other impacts that are immeasurable.
    - Not enough engineering support for marketing: Making a minor update to a website should not take over a month. Need to be able to advantageously explore digital marketing opportunities without waiting months for the next open sprint.
    - Avoiding personnel issues: We promote being a culture that is humble and not arrogant, respectful and not mean, but there are some employees who receive multiple warnings about being rude, dismissive, arrogant and mean, but still remain employed and/or just get shifted to another role. I'm not sure if skating around the issue is the best way to foster these values.
    - Too many presentations - QBR, Monthly Reviews, "How Marketing Works" impromptu decks - the list goes on.
    - Lack of or always-shifting product roadmap
    - Chasing a moving target - Delayed forecasts and sales models creates inefficiencies, unnecessary worry/concern

Advice to Management

- Provide coaching and/or training courses to new middle managers (Associate Dir./Directors) on leading effectively and professionally
    - Look for ways to combine or eliminate "nice to have" deck requests and presentations. They are a huge time commitment and seem like they happen too often
    - Invest heavier in Sales/Marketing Opps - the systems simply can't keep up with the pace of our growth
    - Keep up the great work on culture, fun activities, coaching/EQ training
    - Fix the modelling system

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this place. The culture, the people and the mission are all things I can really get behind. We just got great new executive management in place and I'm thinking positive about the direction Glassdoor is headed! I'm on the B2B Marketing team and LOVE the people I work with. We're a collaborative family who have each other's backs and it's extremely motivating every single day. It's an exciting time for the company and it's fun to be in marketing and see how the knowledge of Glassdoor for Employers is growing! Glassdoor is hands down the best job I've had and best company I've ever worked for!

Cons

We are experiencing growing pains, but this is normal for a company growing as rapidly as we are. I can tell sales is frustrated right now and I feel that pain on the marketing team, but I know the exec team is listening to the grumblings and working hard to make changes based on feedback. Our goals seem extremely high and somewhat unrealistic, but we always seem to get there!

Advice to Management

Listen to sales. Other than that keep doing what you're doing. I love the transparency of Glassdoor!

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture. Everyone at the company is incredibly helpful, outgoing and an overall team player. I trust those around me to do the right thing and get the job done at all times. There's also loads of opportunity to be had and the freedom to try new approaches to things. I also appreciate the awesome level of collaboration we have across teams (marketing, sales, PR, recruitment, etc.). Our CEO is remarkable and his passion for the company and candidness with employees furthers everyone's belief in / support of our mission.

Cons

We definitely are experiencing some growing pains. As we get bigger, certain systems need to be put in place to compensate for folks being stretched too thin or not enough. It's especially difficult in positions where there is only one person in the function. Many folks may see a single role in multiple lights and it's hard to live up to everyone's expectations and deliver on the amount of requests that come through.

Advice to Management

The company is fantastic and I think you'd be hard to find someone who doesn't love the people they work with here. As we expand, clearer definitions of roles and responsibilities would help reduce ambiguity and stress on certain departments. We also do need to invest in technologies that allow us to scale.

5. "Young. Gifted. Positive."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summary

More than any company I've ever worked for, Glassdoor practices what it preaches when it comes to the art of organizational transparency. For example, everyone has a say when it comes to new hires (a first in my career), excellent work is publicly acknowledged and management openly discusses results, company changes and the future on a regular basis in all-hands meetings. Glassdoor also boasts the youngest worker demographic of any tech company I’ve worked for, which makes it an energetic, fresh, positive, fast-paced, “Let’s try this!” environment.

Detailed Pros

-Supportive—B2B managers and colleagues have your back, let you know when you’ve done a good job, single you out for love in team meetings
    -Fast growing and open—management honest about future of company, quarterly results
    -Hiring process—taken very seriously, everyone on team has a say, vote and stake in decision
    -Smart, bright people—few, if any weak links, which makes B2B run like a Ferrari
    -Great business model and mission—helping employers make great hires makes you feel good
    -Open floor plan—conducive to collaboration, quick brainstorms, getting things done fast
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic comes with less professional baggage and hang-ups, less “We used to do it this way at XYZ company” attitude
    -Training—new hires go through serious onboarding
    -Dog friendly environment—reduces daily stress, helps lighten things up
    -Great benefits—unlimited PTO, catered lunches, gym, team outings

Cons

-B2B/B2C divide—sometimes feels like two separate companies under one roof
    -Open floor plan—no privacy, often leads to cacophony, hectic environment
    -Sales territories—constantly changing, moving targets lead to churn in Sales, disrupting Marketing sales enablement efforts
    -Dog friendly environment—often a distraction to business at hand
    -Food—more healthy snacks would be appreciated
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic can turn office into free-wheeling party

Advice to Management

Work harder to integrate B2B/B2C sides of the business so talent, expertise and knowledge can be leveraged, repurposed and shared.

May 15, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your candor. As you know, we recently re-orged our Marketing Department to bring B2B and B2C marketing together under our CMO. This should really... More

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks - trainer on site, work/life balance, flexible hours, unlimited PTO, great offices on the Bay, food provided, and managers that really care. A pre-IPO company with tons of gain and room for growth. All ideas are welcome and you have a real opportunity to make an impact on a product that's changing how people research and find jobs. I've never worked at a better company!

Cons

The biggest con for me is the low salaries - 20% or more below market standard. I've asked quite a few times to increase my salary to the market level listed on Glassdoor. There are also many strong personalities leading to high expectations, strong opinions, and a nothing is ever enough mentality.

Advice to Management

We provide unlimited PTO and free workouts on site, but management at times frowns upon if you don't work overtime in the office or take advantage of those benefits (regardless of overachieving on targets and working around the clock remotely). Need to be sure that we balance the pressure to succeed with the great culture we stand by and ensure those values are lived from the top down. Also, companywide acknowledgement when a team wins an award or over-achieves on goals could go a long way!

May 15, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for sharing how you feel. We are continually looking at everything we offer our employees at Glassdoor, including compensation. If you feel you are being under-compensated please come... More