Glassdoor Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company with great benefits, family style approach to leading teams and commitment to producing incredible results. Face paced work environment with tons of room for growth and a data-centric mentality. Fantastic leadership team that prides itself in being best in class and committed to improving the way people look for and find jobs!

Cons

Not many. If anything it's the constant juggling of many company initiatives while producing a high quality work product. With so much great work to get done, it can be difficult to say no to things and consistently maintain a great work product. Not for everyone and takes self-starters, efficient work management and people that embrace a feedback rich culture.

Advice to Management

Keep company focused across all teams and work to improve operations and processes!

"Great people - iffy on strategy"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor cares about it's employees - they're not perfect yet, but they do have a great benefits package and they constantly ask for feedback on how they're doing. A great quality for any business, but especially Glassdoor, which preaches these practices to other companies.

Cons

Have to hit numbers. We have a good product, but there's plenty of opportunity to add value and make it a great product.

Advice to Management

Quality always wins. Whether this is investing in a more expensive, higher quality lunch caterer for your employees or investing in a top of the line product that surprises and delights.

Aug 9, 2017 – CMO & SVP of Marketing

I appreciate this feedback, and agree very much that this company truly cares about its employees. We’re investing heavily in strategy this year and already seeing those focused efforts pay off. If... More

3. "A Pretty Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities, the people, fast-paced

Cons

Salary/total compensation "package" far behind other Bay Area tech companies, commute (over the Golden Gate bridge with no toll compensation, somewhat unclear direction in the past couple of months

Advice to Management

All-hands are meant to be a place where employees feel welcome and encouraged to provide feedback and ask questions. As of lately, there has been a dark cloud, and almost a feeling of annoyance, when someone speaks up or asks a question. If we want to continue to promote transparency, I think this needs to change.

Aug 9, 2017 – CMO & SVP of Marketing

Thanks for sharing this review and for being so candid. I want everyone on this team to feel like questions are welcome and encouraged - in any meeting or interaction. Please feel free to reach out... More

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great minds at this company. Nurtures my personal want to improve and increases my drive.

Cons

A lot of long time employees leaving due to a supposed "culture change" but I have not been around long enough to know the difference from 5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for the most part. Startups are constantly changing but the change in direction seems to have increased in recent months. Moving too quickly leads to half-assed execution which then leads to abandonment of the plan due to lack of results or ability to report on those results.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your feedback. Companies evolve and change as they grow, but we have always tried to maintain our culture and stay true to our mission of helping people everywhere find a job and company... More

"The best place to work, even on a bad day"

Current Employee - Vice President of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is the best place I've ever worked and somewhere I love to be everyday, regardless of the challenges. We are led by an amazing CEO and a top-notch leadership team full of real people who roll up their sleeves, work hard, and really care. It's challenging, it's fun, and it's rewarding.

The entire Glassdoor team is passionate, kind, humble, and smart. People generally remain optimistic and "find a way" in the face of any challenge.

When a company is doubling or more year after year, there are a lot of challenges scaling the business. We are having many of these challenges, and we've made some pretty big mistakes this year, especially in the GTM organization.

Challenges and mistakes will happen at any growing company. It's how you handle these challenges and mistakes that matters. I think this leadership team is handling the pressure extremely well. I've seen many companies going through these types of pains disintegrate. They've become paralyzed, reactive, political. The exact opposite is happening right now. Leadership is coming together, working together, staying calm, and solving problems quickly. I've never been more proud or honored to be part of this team.

The problems we are having right now are temporary, most of them are not systemic. Some of them are self-inflicted, others are due to late investments in critical areas, but they are on the path to being solved.

I frankly think our challenges were bigger a couple of years ago. Our product efforts weren't scaling, we had virtually no operational expertise in the company, the company was very divided between consumer and B2B, and there were some key leaders in place that were not a culture fit and were making poor decisions. The leadership listened to the feedback then, and we have solved many of these issues in a very short period of time. Our product team now has great leadership, our business operations team is making a big impact, and we have the right leaders in place. Our CMO and other leaders have done a great job bringing both sides of the business together and working in harmony.

I'd pick Glassdoor on its worst day over just about any company on its best day. Solving the challenges of a rapidly growing company is what gives meaning to the work. Solving them with great people is like nothing I've ever experienced.

Cons

It's inevitable that a company will make mistakes or under-invest in certain areas when growing at our pace. You can't throw money at everything at the same time. When working at a company that is growing this quickly, it does take patience as we have to make tradeoffs in our investments in order to be fiscally responsible (and we are that, which I truly appreciate). We've had some bad luck in certain areas along the way too. We are now making the right investments business operations, product development, and user growth. In my opinion, key areas we now need to work on are:

1. Modeling. We still need to improve in how we financially model and measure our business. I think we have a solid understanding of what drives growth. We need to ensure that all areas of the business are delivering on the inputs needed to realize the growth we want. Much of this is in the form of product deliverables, user growth, more operational and enablement support for sales, and excellent product performance that commands a higher price point. It's unrealistic to put expectations of large productivity and efficiency gains on the shoulders of our sales reps without other things materially changing to support that. They are working hard, and they are an amazing team who can get more productive with the right investments - but many of those investments have not been made. We also need to fuel our growth in a more balanced way where we are contributing to the growth from many different areas. We lack the basic visibility to understand the key levers in the model and where we are/aren't delivering. We're too big for that - we've just got to fix this.

2. Sales Operations/Sales Tech. We all know we are short-handed here and are hiring as fast as we can, but it's starting to have a real impact on the business. It's becoming painful and it's becoming a frustration and causing a morale problem because we want to move quickly and efficiently and we can't. Our operational structure was built when we were small, and has not scaled well with our growth. It's not just technology, it's also business processes. Breakages of both are occurring more and more frequently and are starting to have a real impact on the business. We've got to get serious about this and put the right structure in that can accommodate the current business and grow and scale over time.

3. Investment in our Sales Team. We've grown this team to the point where it's not about just getting it done out of sheer will and scrappiness. We need to shift gears and realize that we have a large, global sales team and we are under-invested in many areas needed to support this team. Our leaders have such aggressive hiring to do that they don't get to spend enough time with their teams. They need help. They also do not have the reporting or playbooks they need at their fingertips to manage their businesses efficiently because no one has had time to build those things. And many business and sales processes have not been clearly defined. Finally, our sales enablement is very light for the amount of catchup that we have to do. We need more investment here. We have no way to know if the training is sticking - and in a lot of cases it is not. This is nothing against the sales enablement team - they just do not have the resources to get the job done properly and they do not have enough input from leadership as to what the proper sales/business processes should be in the first place. Sales reps, SDRs, and Sales Managers are overloaded with so much information and so many constant changes that many of them do not know how to effectively utilize our latest system and processes, which makes it difficult for them to succeed. We are leaving a lot of money on the table due to the lack of investment here.

Advice to Management

Keep being great leaders who work as a team. Keep coming together to solve problems as they come, which they inevitably will when we are growing this rapidly. So many big issues have already been tackled, and now we need to get serious about supporting our sales team and sales infrastructure and understanding and measuring what drives our business.

Sep 2, 2016 – CEO & Founder

I want to acknowledge your concerns. As you know, these are issues that we are working through. I feel good about the changes we're already making but it is painful in some parts right now. I don't... More

"Time to Course Correct"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The founding team and a significant (read: majority) percentage of the employees have strived to create not only a product that corrects an inherent imbalance in power between companies and the people they employ but a company and culture that reflects these values in the day-to-day. To call it a noble cause would be an understatement – it’s a heroic effort – and I truly believe the world is a better place as a result of Glassdoor. Though I’m an ex-employee that left voluntarily, with a fair amount of concern over the direction I saw the company taking when I departed, I’m ultimately proud to have worked there and remain a believer in the core vision and a champion of the cause. I really, really hope this company succeeds as it is helping drive an important cultural shift that will benefit future generations by redistributing power and putting it back in the hands of those that matter - the people.

The workforce is made up of an abundance of truly excellent people. The affection I feel for many of my ex-co-workers is profound; there is a familial atmosphere amongst many that is extremely unique. Some great people that deserve the best.

The core (B2C) product is rock-solid. There’s always a tendency from employees to meddle with the product and “put their fingerprint on it” – either to help with the B2B monetization element or just born from a desire to contribute creatively to the most meaningful asset that the company possesses - I hope the new CPO protects the product as well as previous leadership who, while at times unpopular for not entertaining every request, has done a great job at preserving the integrity of the core product.

Fantastic benefits – from health/dental (with premiums covered by the employer) to catered lunch to flex-time/PTO to a dog-friendly office (this certainly helps take the stress levels down a notch).

Investment in employee coaching/development – having Jim on-site regularly to help build and nurture a culture of honesty and intimacy is a brave move on the part of Robert (CEO) and the HR team. It’s an innovative approach to People/Talent that I will reference and try to implement in future companies.

I’m wowed by the talent and dedication in certain areas of the company – particularly PR (most creative PR team I’ve personally ever had the pleasure of working with), Marketing Ops (doing so much with so little), Engineering (not nearly enough of them but some real rock-stars), and HR (particularly the awesome Recruiting team).

Well-funded by top VCs - this isn’t a company that’s going under just because of some temporary cooling in the market, so not a risky move to come on-board (though the macro-economic ties/dependencies is concerning).

Cons

The culture is changing, and it’s not for the better. A recent pre-occupation with hiring a C-level exec for every possible business function – and falling for impressive resumes bullets and big brand logos – hasn’t really solved any of the challenges GD is facing, but it certainly is making the environment more bureaucratic, far less inclusive, and exceedingly political (read: mean, cut-throat). Besides the go-to excuse of “building for scale,” I have no idea why a company of this size would need so many VPs and C-level execs when they could get 2-5 people for the same price that would actually build things instead of sitting around talking about it. The middle management layer is getting extremely bloated as well (partially because people are promoted for putting in years) and the result is a bunch of useless meetings, an obsession with fluffy power points (that take 100s of man-hours to build) and corresponding spreadsheets (because no one trusts one another and thus “have to see the numbers” for everything). The net is a fair amount of corporate sociopathy, which is not the makings of a Best Place to Work. FWIW This all seemed to happen within ~ 6 months in 2015 and is enough to make anyone who made the leap from a big company to supposed “scrappy” start-up, turn tail and run for another company. And that’s happening at an increasing rate. It's time to address this as you are losing good people who really gave a care about the business.

Per the above, at this stage of the company’s growth, focusing more on diversity initiatives instead of adopting the arrogant line of “only hiring Ivy League MBAs that also know SQL…and we can do it because people now care about what we do” may help the company get back down-to-earth, where it belongs. Tuning your requirements to hiring only rich people whose parents could afford to send them to Stanford isn’t going to do anything besides whitewash the employee roster. Challenge the tech bro, pillage the earth status quo that's ruining the Bay Area, don't promote if.

The dis-reality that permeates corporate goal setting (and ladders down to the individual level goals and performance management) needs to be broken as a matter of priority. Drawing a vanity revenue line based on hopes and wishes without focusing on key inputs hasn’t worked well, particularly as of late, and it’s massively demoralizing to tell people to “double it again” without tackling issues such as resources (how many engineers are devoted to the revenue-generating side of the business?) and ensuring a true, cohesive company-wide strategic plan is in place.

To make matters worse, there is a widespread inability to properly measure performance. I honestly wonder if certain members of the team can even count. Given the obsession with data, there’s way too much manipulation of numbers to make the individuals entrusted to build and maintain the models look good – you really should be able to sniff this out (I think you can) and address it head-on (for some reason you have rewarded it) before it gets down to the individual contributor level (which is where the real failure starts to manifest). The smart people on the ground that have options (this is a talent economy, correct?) aren’t going to be content with that type of leadership to guide them. When I left I truly believed you'd be better off with no data than the BS that was being fed into the models.

Compensation is all over the place and there is not enough emphasis placed on standardization of pay bands at lower levels of the company. This is more than just a little ironic given the company charter – I’d say it’s quite embarrassing and is going to comprise a serious handicap in attracting and retaining top talent the long-term.

Advice to Management

Resource allocation to revenue generating initiatives (e.g. B2B) is completely out-of-whack. I support the priority being placed on the consumer, but if this is a two-sided marketplace then you need to invest appropriately in supporting both sides. And the answer isn’t simply in hiring Sales, which is ultimately weighing down the P&L – it’s in product development. Build stuff that’s worth buying and invest in your self-service channels and quit looking at the employer side of the business as simply a means to fund the B2C vision.

All tech companies in the year 2016 have a responsibility to try to address systemic issues related to hiring, and while I have no question that GD leadership actually cares about these issues (and points awarded for a fair amount of females represented in leadership roles), GD should hold itself to a higher standard and walk the walk more here. Start by ditching the new-found delusion that the path to success is paved with Ivy League diplomas and get more people that are both humble and feel like they have something to prove in place, and then empower them by removing the unnecessary management layers and BS like QBRs and all the other time-wasting management activities.

Also, don’t reward people that are causing chaos and pain for others in the pursuit of self-protection and self-promotion. If you’re not going to take action based upon the results of your 360 review process, for instance, then you are better off scrapping the entire framework. Even the least visionary companies do a better job of actioning developmental feedback – what good is inviting feedback if you aren’t going to act upon it?

Regardless of any developmental feedback, I care for the people and the company and wish you all the very best (I didn't exercise, by the way). It should be pretty clear who I am so consider the feedback to come from a place of genuine caring.

Jun 22, 2016 – SVP, Chief Product Officer

Thank you for your heart-felt review. Appreciate your insightful points and the time you spent in sharing them. It's good to hear that you both loved your time at Glassdoor and have a lot of passion... More

"Best Place To Intern!"

Former Intern - Marketing Events in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing Events in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor as an intern

Pros

- The people: I have never interned at a company where the people care about each other so much! Every single person I came across at Glassdoor made a genuine effort to get to know me, even though they knew I was only there for 12 weeks.
    - The perks: Free breakfast, free lunch, and a free gym! I was very grateful for these amenities and it definitely helped balance out the cost of living in the Bay area!
    -The work: As an intern, I was given many responsibilities that actually had an impact. I was never forced to do mundane tasks and was given valuable feedback on all projects.
    - The environment/outlook: From an intern's perspective, it was amazing to be a part of a team where people genuinely loved their jobs and believed in what they were doing. The energy and overall optimistic outlook about the company made me want to work harder! I can honestly say that I was excited to wake up and intern every day this summer.

Cons

Housing isn't provided with the internship and the cost of living is extremely high in the Bay Area. However, I truly believe the free lunch, free gym, and other perks make up for it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for providing such a great internship program.

Nov 21, 2016 – CEO & Founder

We had an incredible intern group this year. I'm always so impressed with the ideas and perspective you bring. Thanks for all your time and energy.

"Best Company I've Worked For! (if you can handle moving targets...)"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Collaborative culture where people manner and feedback is greatly valued
    - Quality of candidate screening process - not a unilateral decision; every one on the team has a say
    - Work/Life balance: Able to leave at a decent hour and not expect a flood of emails in the evening or over weekends
    - Ability to grow professionally: management cares about fostering your talent and giving you opportunities to network, test/expand your skills, increase your responsibilities
    - Working cross-functionally: high likelihood to work with various teams and departments, rather than being siloed
    - On-boarding experience: thoughtful coaching, buddy system, well-paced training materials for sales and marketing staff
    - Visibility and transparency: Upper management is open about their plans/goals/initiatives, and regularly shares feedback and answers questions in bi-weekly company-wide huddles
    - Company events/socials: Fun company happy hours, team lunches, holiday parties, great company spirit - Wellness: Free food every day and fitness classes offered, great gym
    - Pay and equity: competitive pay and wonderful equity package for all employees
    - Dog-friendly policy: such a great way to boost morale and liven up the workplace
    - Quality of leaders/managers: thoughtful and careful selection of our leaders pays off, each executive team leader is respectable, highly motivating and effective at moving the organization forward
    - Great internship program and community involvement (e.g. Gratitude Lunch and Engineering After School program)

Cons

- Reign in your egos, middle-management: Despite everyone having equity in the company and boasting the "people first" motto, many middle-management leaders/directors posses and exhibit some serious egos. Rather than being collaborative, they have a tendency to shut down ideas, speak dismissively.
    - Exec managements limited understanding of B2B sales/marketing: As a marketing team member, it feels as though we are constantly fighting a battle to prove our worth and justify our spend. While, yes, marketing is responsible to generating pipe/bookings, there are countless other impacts that are immeasurable.
    - Not enough engineering support for marketing: Making a minor update to a website should not take over a month. Need to be able to advantageously explore digital marketing opportunities without waiting months for the next open sprint.
    - Avoiding personnel issues: We promote being a culture that is humble and not arrogant, respectful and not mean, but there are some employees who receive multiple warnings about being rude, dismissive, arrogant and mean, but still remain employed and/or just get shifted to another role. I'm not sure if skating around the issue is the best way to foster these values.
    - Too many presentations - QBR, Monthly Reviews, "How Marketing Works" impromptu decks - the list goes on.
    - Lack of or always-shifting product roadmap
    - Chasing a moving target - Delayed forecasts and sales models creates inefficiencies, unnecessary worry/concern

Advice to Management

- Provide coaching and/or training courses to new middle managers (Associate Dir./Directors) on leading effectively and professionally
    - Look for ways to combine or eliminate "nice to have" deck requests and presentations. They are a huge time commitment and seem like they happen too often
    - Invest heavier in Sales/Marketing Opps - the systems simply can't keep up with the pace of our growth
    - Keep up the great work on culture, fun activities, coaching/EQ training
    - Fix the modelling system

"Past its prime - What a Disappointment"

Former Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is a company that everyone knows and respects for its consumer facing materials. Every recruiter will see Glassdoor on your resume and know what you worked on, making 'GD' a good stepping stone.

The PR team is world class.

Glassdoor also allows for a good work life balance (given you are exempt status...), and people for sure take advantage of it.

Cons

The culture is shot, the company is no where near being profitable, and the cash burn rate isn't getting better.

Theres no fun and inspiring management, no company cohesiveness, and there is absolutely no shared goals. This company has been torn to shreds by sales culture and has a 'work hard burn out and sell sell sell' feel. Everyone is in panic mode trying to prove how valuable and important their work is to the flawed business model.

This rushed culture makes everyone produce work that they're not proud of, and it shows. Things are shipped broken, just so management can say "hey we did this, just like I said! Now give me more stock and a raise."

If you're a manager that wants to build a team and do awesome things, prepare to get over ruled by "this is the way its alway been done." If you're an engineer looking to make something you're proud of, prepare to spend half a day coding and a week explaining why you coded it that way.

Lastly - compensation. Don't expect to get any substantial units from Glassdoor. They're just not there for you to take. Plus, the ones you have wont make you any money (there was even a quarter where strike price went down). Plus half of the company got taken off exempt status, thus striping them of freedoms that are core to Glassdoor's culture.

Advice to Management

I was at Glassdoor for a year and literally had two meetings with the head of my department. The only exit interview I had was with a manager from another department, looking for advice. There is so little communication on direction of the company, that most days I'd come in and have no idea on why I was making decisions.

And Robert - every time you get on stage, you talk down to your employees. Stop being so dismissive, I don't care if its the 15th time some one asked when we're going public. Its because you told them it would happen, and they're finding that harder and harder to believe.

Jun 3, 2016 – CEO & Founder

I read every review that comes through and respond to many of them as do other leaders. And, every once in a while there is one that leaves me unsure how to respond. This falls into the latter... More

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this place. The culture, the people and the mission are all things I can really get behind. We just got great new executive management in place and I'm thinking positive about the direction Glassdoor is headed! I'm on the B2B Marketing team and LOVE the people I work with. We're a collaborative family who have each other's backs and it's extremely motivating every single day. It's an exciting time for the company and it's fun to be in marketing and see how the knowledge of Glassdoor for Employers is growing! Glassdoor is hands down the best job I've had and best company I've ever worked for!

Cons

We are experiencing growing pains, but this is normal for a company growing as rapidly as we are. I can tell sales is frustrated right now and I feel that pain on the marketing team, but I know the exec team is listening to the grumblings and working hard to make changes based on feedback. Our goals seem extremely high and somewhat unrealistic, but we always seem to get there!

Advice to Management

Listen to sales. Other than that keep doing what you're doing. I love the transparency of Glassdoor!