Glassdoor Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 62 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota" (in 12 reviews)

"Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company with great benefits, family style approach to leading teams and commitment to producing incredible results. Face paced work environment with tons of room for growth and a data-centric mentality. Fantastic leadership team that prides itself in being best in class and committed to improving the way people look for and find jobs!

Cons

Not many. If anything it's the constant juggling of many company initiatives while producing a high quality work product. With so much great work to get done, it can be difficult to say no to things and consistently maintain a great work product. Not for everyone and takes self-starters, efficient work management and people that embrace a feedback rich culture.

Advice to Management

Keep company focused across all teams and work to improve operations and processes!

"Highly political environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor provides individuals starting out a great opportunity for learning how to operate at a very high caliber, use data to prove a point and take on challenging work.

Cons

The environment here is highly political. If you’re not having lunch with the right people, going to most social events or making the right friends, it will be difficult to climb the ladder here.

Advice to Management

Crack down on office politics.

Dec 12, 2018 – VP, Marketing

"Dear Glassdoor Marketing Alum,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value hearing what's going well and what we can improve upon.

We strive to provide transparency in... More

"Live that Transparency & Job You Love Motto"

Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in the senior leadership/execs. Made great updates to approach re: sharing information that has had a felt impact.

Love the new focus on being a recruitment company, instead of separate B2C and B2B identities. Excited for building for scale over the next years.

Marketing reorg was smart, and long needed. Have had good career opps here.

Not an ego-driven place. Tries to be and hire thoughtful, strong people.

Def appreciate our gym (though needs some investment) and classes (more yoga please!).

Cons

Salaries not market rate. Think it's hard for us to hire true A players all the time.

Not as modern or shiny/sexy place as some expect from Valley tech - whether that's our environment/office space, coffee, tech savvy of employees, or our sites/app and design.

Feedback/suggestions to HR and facilities oft met with defensive, corporate email replies - even something small like "could we have less candy / unhealthy food and more healthy stuff?"

Advice to Management

Be a modern Bay Area tech company that promotes health and wellness, including quality food, and invests in updating our environment. (Say "too bad" to those who like to eat the bad stuff - they can BYOCandy!) Find ways to get regular feedback on this kind of stuff. There's lots of tools and services that help w/this.

Otherwise, keep up the great work, and keep trying to find ways for us to live our mantra's about transparency.

"Great people - iffy on strategy"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor cares about it's employees - they're not perfect yet, but they do have a great benefits package and they constantly ask for feedback on how they're doing. A great quality for any business, but especially Glassdoor, which preaches these practices to other companies.

Cons

Have to hit numbers. We have a good product, but there's plenty of opportunity to add value and make it a great product.

Advice to Management

Quality always wins. Whether this is investing in a more expensive, higher quality lunch caterer for your employees or investing in a top of the line product that surprises and delights.

Aug 9, 2017 – CMO & SVP of Marketing

I appreciate this feedback, and agree very much that this company truly cares about its employees. We’re investing heavily in strategy this year and already seeing those focused efforts pay off. If... More

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Search Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great minds at this company. Nurtures my personal want to improve and increases my drive.

Cons

A lot of long time employees leaving due to a supposed "culture change" but I have not been around long enough to know the difference from 5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for the most part. Startups are constantly changing but the change in direction seems to have increased in recent months. Moving too quickly leads to half-assed execution which then leads to abandonment of the plan due to lack of results or ability to report on those results.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your feedback. Companies evolve and change as they grow, but we have always tried to maintain our culture and stay true to our mission of helping people everywhere find a job and company... More

"The best place to work, even on a bad day"

Current Employee - Vice President of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is the best place I've ever worked and somewhere I love to be everyday, regardless of the challenges. We are led by an amazing CEO and a top-notch leadership team full of real people who roll up their sleeves, work hard, and really care. It's challenging, it's fun, and it's rewarding.

The entire Glassdoor team is passionate, kind, humble, and smart. People generally remain optimistic and "find a way" in the face of any challenge.

When a company is doubling or more year after year, there are a lot of challenges scaling the business. We are having many of these challenges, and we've made some pretty big mistakes this year, especially in the GTM organization.

Challenges and mistakes will happen at any growing company. It's how you handle these challenges and mistakes that matters. I think this leadership team is handling the pressure extremely well. I've seen many companies going through these types of pains disintegrate. They've become paralyzed, reactive, political. The exact opposite is happening right now. Leadership is coming together, working together, staying calm, and solving problems quickly. I've never been more proud or honored to be part of this team.

The problems we are having right now are temporary, most of them are not systemic. Some of them are self-inflicted, others are due to late investments in critical areas, but they are on the path to being solved.

I frankly think our challenges were bigger a couple of years ago. Our product efforts weren't scaling, we had virtually no operational expertise in the company, the company was very divided between consumer and B2B, and there were some key leaders in place that were not a culture fit and were making poor decisions. The leadership listened to the feedback then, and we have solved many of these issues in a very short period of time. Our product team now has great leadership, our business operations team is making a big impact, and we have the right leaders in place. Our CMO and other leaders have done a great job bringing both sides of the business together and working in harmony.

I'd pick Glassdoor on its worst day over just about any company on its best day. Solving the challenges of a rapidly growing company is what gives meaning to the work. Solving them with great people is like nothing I've ever experienced.

Cons

It's inevitable that a company will make mistakes or under-invest in certain areas when growing at our pace. You can't throw money at everything at the same time. When working at a company that is growing this quickly, it does take patience as we have to make tradeoffs in our investments in order to be fiscally responsible (and we are that, which I truly appreciate). We've had some bad luck in certain areas along the way too. We are now making the right investments business operations, product development, and user growth. In my opinion, key areas we now need to work on are:

1. Modeling. We still need to improve in how we financially model and measure our business. I think we have a solid understanding of what drives growth. We need to ensure that all areas of the business are delivering on the inputs needed to realize the growth we want. Much of this is in the form of product deliverables, user growth, more operational and enablement support for sales, and excellent product performance that commands a higher price point. It's unrealistic to put expectations of large productivity and efficiency gains on the shoulders of our sales reps without other things materially changing to support that. They are working hard, and they are an amazing team who can get more productive with the right investments - but many of those investments have not been made. We also need to fuel our growth in a more balanced way where we are contributing to the growth from many different areas. We lack the basic visibility to understand the key levers in the model and where we are/aren't delivering. We're too big for that - we've just got to fix this.

2. Sales Operations/Sales Tech. We all know we are short-handed here and are hiring as fast as we can, but it's starting to have a real impact on the business. It's becoming painful and it's becoming a frustration and causing a morale problem because we want to move quickly and efficiently and we can't. Our operational structure was built when we were small, and has not scaled well with our growth. It's not just technology, it's also business processes. Breakages of both are occurring more and more frequently and are starting to have a real impact on the business. We've got to get serious about this and put the right structure in that can accommodate the current business and grow and scale over time.

3. Investment in our Sales Team. We've grown this team to the point where it's not about just getting it done out of sheer will and scrappiness. We need to shift gears and realize that we have a large, global sales team and we are under-invested in many areas needed to support this team. Our leaders have such aggressive hiring to do that they don't get to spend enough time with their teams. They need help. They also do not have the reporting or playbooks they need at their fingertips to manage their businesses efficiently because no one has had time to build those things. And many business and sales processes have not been clearly defined. Finally, our sales enablement is very light for the amount of catchup that we have to do. We need more investment here. We have no way to know if the training is sticking - and in a lot of cases it is not. This is nothing against the sales enablement team - they just do not have the resources to get the job done properly and they do not have enough input from leadership as to what the proper sales/business processes should be in the first place. Sales reps, SDRs, and Sales Managers are overloaded with so much information and so many constant changes that many of them do not know how to effectively utilize our latest system and processes, which makes it difficult for them to succeed. We are leaving a lot of money on the table due to the lack of investment here.

Advice to Management

Keep being great leaders who work as a team. Keep coming together to solve problems as they come, which they inevitably will when we are growing this rapidly. So many big issues have already been tackled, and now we need to get serious about supporting our sales team and sales infrastructure and understanding and measuring what drives our business.

Sep 2, 2016 – CEO & Founder

I want to acknowledge your concerns. As you know, these are issues that we are working through. I feel good about the changes we're already making but it is painful in some parts right now. I don't... More

"Best Place To Intern!"

Former Intern - Marketing Events in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing Events in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor as an intern

Pros

- The people: I have never interned at a company where the people care about each other so much! Every single person I came across at Glassdoor made a genuine effort to get to know me, even though they knew I was only there for 12 weeks.
    - The perks: Free breakfast, free lunch, and a free gym! I was very grateful for these amenities and it definitely helped balance out the cost of living in the Bay area!
    -The work: As an intern, I was given many responsibilities that actually had an impact. I was never forced to do mundane tasks and was given valuable feedback on all projects.
    - The environment/outlook: From an intern's perspective, it was amazing to be a part of a team where people genuinely loved their jobs and believed in what they were doing. The energy and overall optimistic outlook about the company made me want to work harder! I can honestly say that I was excited to wake up and intern every day this summer.

Cons

Housing isn't provided with the internship and the cost of living is extremely high in the Bay Area. However, I truly believe the free lunch, free gym, and other perks make up for it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for providing such a great internship program.

Nov 21, 2016 – CEO & Founder

We had an incredible intern group this year. I'm always so impressed with the ideas and perspective you bring. Thanks for all your time and energy.

"Best Company I've Worked For! (if you can handle moving targets...)"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Collaborative culture where people manner and feedback is greatly valued
    - Quality of candidate screening process - not a unilateral decision; every one on the team has a say
    - Work/Life balance: Able to leave at a decent hour and not expect a flood of emails in the evening or over weekends
    - Ability to grow professionally: management cares about fostering your talent and giving you opportunities to network, test/expand your skills, increase your responsibilities
    - Working cross-functionally: high likelihood to work with various teams and departments, rather than being siloed
    - On-boarding experience: thoughtful coaching, buddy system, well-paced training materials for sales and marketing staff
    - Visibility and transparency: Upper management is open about their plans/goals/initiatives, and regularly shares feedback and answers questions in bi-weekly company-wide huddles
    - Company events/socials: Fun company happy hours, team lunches, holiday parties, great company spirit - Wellness: Free food every day and fitness classes offered, great gym
    - Pay and equity: competitive pay and wonderful equity package for all employees
    - Dog-friendly policy: such a great way to boost morale and liven up the workplace
    - Quality of leaders/managers: thoughtful and careful selection of our leaders pays off, each executive team leader is respectable, highly motivating and effective at moving the organization forward
    - Great internship program and community involvement (e.g. Gratitude Lunch and Engineering After School program)

Cons

- Reign in your egos, middle-management: Despite everyone having equity in the company and boasting the "people first" motto, many middle-management leaders/directors posses and exhibit some serious egos. Rather than being collaborative, they have a tendency to shut down ideas, speak dismissively.
    - Exec managements limited understanding of B2B sales/marketing: As a marketing team member, it feels as though we are constantly fighting a battle to prove our worth and justify our spend. While, yes, marketing is responsible to generating pipe/bookings, there are countless other impacts that are immeasurable.
    - Not enough engineering support for marketing: Making a minor update to a website should not take over a month. Need to be able to advantageously explore digital marketing opportunities without waiting months for the next open sprint.
    - Avoiding personnel issues: We promote being a culture that is humble and not arrogant, respectful and not mean, but there are some employees who receive multiple warnings about being rude, dismissive, arrogant and mean, but still remain employed and/or just get shifted to another role. I'm not sure if skating around the issue is the best way to foster these values.
    - Too many presentations - QBR, Monthly Reviews, "How Marketing Works" impromptu decks - the list goes on.
    - Lack of or always-shifting product roadmap
    - Chasing a moving target - Delayed forecasts and sales models creates inefficiencies, unnecessary worry/concern

Advice to Management

- Provide coaching and/or training courses to new middle managers (Associate Dir./Directors) on leading effectively and professionally
    - Look for ways to combine or eliminate "nice to have" deck requests and presentations. They are a huge time commitment and seem like they happen too often
    - Invest heavier in Sales/Marketing Opps - the systems simply can't keep up with the pace of our growth
    - Keep up the great work on culture, fun activities, coaching/EQ training
    - Fix the modelling system

"Past its prime - What a Disappointment"

Former Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is a company that everyone knows and respects for its consumer facing materials. Every recruiter will see Glassdoor on your resume and know what you worked on, making 'GD' a good stepping stone.

The PR team is world class.

Glassdoor also allows for a good work life balance (given you are exempt status...), and people for sure take advantage of it.

Cons

The culture is shot, the company is no where near being profitable, and the cash burn rate isn't getting better.

Theres no fun and inspiring management, no company cohesiveness, and there is absolutely no shared goals. This company has been torn to shreds by sales culture and has a 'work hard burn out and sell sell sell' feel. Everyone is in panic mode trying to prove how valuable and important their work is to the flawed business model.

This rushed culture makes everyone produce work that they're not proud of, and it shows. Things are shipped broken, just so management can say "hey we did this, just like I said! Now give me more stock and a raise."

If you're a manager that wants to build a team and do awesome things, prepare to get over ruled by "this is the way its alway been done." If you're an engineer looking to make something you're proud of, prepare to spend half a day coding and a week explaining why you coded it that way.

Lastly - compensation. Don't expect to get any substantial units from Glassdoor. They're just not there for you to take. Plus, the ones you have wont make you any money (there was even a quarter where strike price went down). Plus half of the company got taken off exempt status, thus striping them of freedoms that are core to Glassdoor's culture.

Advice to Management

I was at Glassdoor for a year and literally had two meetings with the head of my department. The only exit interview I had was with a manager from another department, looking for advice. There is so little communication on direction of the company, that most days I'd come in and have no idea on why I was making decisions.

And Robert - every time you get on stage, you talk down to your employees. Stop being so dismissive, I don't care if its the 15th time some one asked when we're going public. Its because you told them it would happen, and they're finding that harder and harder to believe.

Jun 3, 2016 – CEO & Founder

I read every review that comes through and respond to many of them as do other leaders. And, every once in a while there is one that leaves me unsure how to respond. This falls into the latter... More

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this place. The culture, the people and the mission are all things I can really get behind. We just got great new executive management in place and I'm thinking positive about the direction Glassdoor is headed! I'm on the B2B Marketing team and LOVE the people I work with. We're a collaborative family who have each other's backs and it's extremely motivating every single day. It's an exciting time for the company and it's fun to be in marketing and see how the knowledge of Glassdoor for Employers is growing! Glassdoor is hands down the best job I've had and best company I've ever worked for!

Cons

We are experiencing growing pains, but this is normal for a company growing as rapidly as we are. I can tell sales is frustrated right now and I feel that pain on the marketing team, but I know the exec team is listening to the grumblings and working hard to make changes based on feedback. Our goals seem extremely high and somewhat unrealistic, but we always seem to get there!

Advice to Management

Listen to sales. Other than that keep doing what you're doing. I love the transparency of Glassdoor!