Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is so much flexibility with work/life balance that it makes it easy to come into work in the morning" (in 62 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Over the years there were a lot of growing pains" (in 39 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

Glassdoor Response

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

"Grow with Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Vice President Business Operations in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Operations in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being part of a fast growing company means tons of opportunity for individual impact and growth. Post acquisition by Recruit we also have the financial freedom to to take a longer term view and invest in new areas (like international expansion) which is exciting. Ambitious but thoughtful and supportive culture - people here want to be successful, but in a way that drives value for the company, our users, our customers and their colleagues (vs trampling all over them).

Cons

We can tend to emphasize execution and results vs more formal longer term personal and career development - it's a learn by doing vs more formal learning culture. Also, our consensus driven decision making process while inclusive can sometimes slow us down and temper bold action - a certain amount of that is healthy but we should make sure to not let that get in the way of growth as we get bigger.

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to maintain the "special sauce" of the culture even as we grow. While I feel that there are strong cultures within teams (e.g. CS, Sales, Product, etc) I've noticed attendance at broader company wide events has gotten softer in the last year or so - the connectedness and unity among our employee base is an important part of what makes this place tick so let's make sure we don't lose that. Also - continue to invest in training and development, especially at the manager level to turn our strong performers from good managers to great managers.

"Glassdoor changed my life"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor was my first job right out of college. I moved to a new city where I didn't know many people. The reason why I wanted to work at Glassdoor was that I believed in the product and it was something that was useful to me in my job search. Little did I know that a short three years later I would be looking back at my decision to accept my first job at Glassdoor as one of the best decisions of my life. Many of my closest friends were made through my time on various teams throughout the Glassdoor organization. I know every review says it...but the best part of Glassdoor is truly the people.

- Career Progression -
    There are plenty of opportunities for promotions for top performers. If you work hard and stand out, you absolutely will be moved from role to role quickly.

-Strong Managers-
    I've had four managers at Glassdoor and every single one of them has been wonderful.

-Compensation-
    Top performers are compensated like top performers. The ability to both hit and exceed quota is very real and can be accomplished by anyone who is willing to put in the work.

-Benefits-
    Top of the line (and free) health/dental benefits with a ton of fun stuff around the office. Snacks, beer, ping pong, and darts.

-Work/Life Balance-
    Amazing flexibility based on manager and position. Employees are treated like adults and allowed to WFH or take PTO when needed.

Cons

Any company has cons no matter how great it is. Glassdoor has always done a good job taking feedback both from public reviews and internal feedback and laying out a plan to make changes. However, it sometimes takes longer to accept/see the issues and put into place fixes since we've grown so quickly.

-Sales Operations-
    Many of our systems are very, very, very broken. This can occasionally lead to over or underpayments that you as an employee you have to watch out for. This SEEMS to be getting better lately and I know is top priority to be fixed this fiscal year.

-Billing Department-
    As a sales rep, your compensation is tied to your clients paying (or not paying) your bills. This means that you are often times working with the Billing Department to resolve payment issues for clients. Our Billing Department is painfully understaffed and emails/Slack messages go unanswered for weeks creating tough situations with clients who expect resolutions quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your people first, we all love you for it.

Focus on the Billing Department, we're losing revenue due to a lack of accountability and responsiveness.

Put people into Sales Operations leadership positions who have experience setting up and managing our systems. You've clearly noticed the issues and seem to be on the right track.

"Great company that needs to shift internal priorities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Glassdoor has a great culture and definitely hires the right people.
    - Collaborative team efforts and great interaction with Directors on a daily basis
    - Growth Opportunities: As Glassdoor is constantly growing, there has also been opportunities to try new things and be promoted quickly
    - Great snacks and games to play while youre taking a break from the grind

Cons

- No priority to hire Billing and Sales ops personnel. Glassdoor is so focused on selling our product and proving the value of our product, that they forgot to support the key functions of our business. What is it going to take for us to make this a priority??

Advice to Management

YOU NEED TO hire more personnel in our billing and Sales ops departments. It is NOT sustainable to continue to hire sales reps without hiring individuals that support our business. It is starting to cripple other parts of the organization and we are losing clients because of this. There needs to be more rules in place to prioritize these departments, as they are currently ran EXTREMELY thin and if we were to lose one person in either department, it would cause hell for the rest of the organization

"Dr. StrangeOps or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Abuse"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Dog friendly office. Free lunch and snacks. The pay is finally starting to get competitive. Most people there are very nice. Most managers have flexible policies around work hours and working from home.

Cons

Something dark lurks within the waters of Glassdoor's Sales Ops team, and it has the team's members fleeing for their careers.

1) The Only Live Culture on the Team is in our Yogurt

In the most recent employee satisfaction survey, the largest word in the word cloud was "toxic". Pressure to perform is sky-high, which is part and parcel of any Sales Operations gig. However, the team's culture has shifted dramatically to reward people who manage up well while undercutting the work and reputation of their peers. People are now hired and valued based their pedigree; Ivy League MBA with Management Consulting is the profile du jour and the only voices truly valued on the team (note: this is not unique to Sales Ops, but proliferates throughout the Operations organization).

Most teams within Sales Ops work in silos and show little interest in understanding work outside of their purview. When collaboration is necessary, tensions inevitably flare. Even team outings are usually segregated by team lines, with the exception of a few open-minded individuals. Rather than encourage cross-pollination, leaders often simply skip the events altogether. We tried a big team-building offsite a couple of months ago. It did not help.

2) I Find Your Lack of Vision Disturbing

Like sand in the desert, our org chart shifts with the winds. By my last count and without exaggeration, we restructured the Sales Ops team no less than 5 times in 2018. Many of those restructures were due to key staff leaving the company (which speaks for itself), but it embodies the lack of a cohesive vision for the team. We almost never talk about team vision, and when we do, there is no follow-through.

Our processes are a mess and everything is manual. There is no documentation because no one has time to document them. We’re told to automate everything, but efforts are poorly scoped by our Sales Tech team and always fall short. Efforts to implement scalable policy are met with extreme resistance from sales leadership. More on that later.

Our Sales Tech Stack is a mess. Salesforce is a disaster, and there are no plans to shore up the foundations there. We are something of an urban legend amongst the CS team at Salesforce, as our implementation is the most cluttered and least efficient that many of them have seen. The result is inefficient process for our sales team and an inability to effect productive change within the environment.
    We've recently taken to cycling in old tools that we've already tried and didn't work. We'll see how that goes.

Our priorities shift more often than our org chart. We frequently enter the week with a frantic email telling us what "the only thing we need to focus on this week" is. OKRs have been out the window for most Sales Ops teams for the last 2 quarters, and when I shake my Magic 8-ball and ask if that will improve, it always says "Reply hazy, try again." Every time.

I have a ticket in with Mattel to troubleshoot.

3) "And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!" - The Grinch

A key part of Sales Operations success lies in its relationship with Sales. Somewhere between trust and shared vision lies a nirvana of effectiveness and efficiency.

Unfortunately, none of that exists at Glassdoor. Our relationship with Sales is incredibly dysfunctional. And, in spite of my criticisms above, the lion’s share of the problem lies with the inexperience of sales leadership.

Glassdoor is a strong believer of promoting leaders from within. However, when that is your only method of hiring leaders, you get the Peter Principle run amok. Simply put, there is not a sales executive at Glassdoor that has been anything other than a frontline manager prior to joining the company. And it shows. The decisions made at that level are short-sighted; primarily for the benefit of individual sales reps and to the detriment of our ability to scale. There is little accountability holding leaders to the commitments and decisions they make. Perfect is the archenemy of good. And we learn everything the hard way.

I have seen instances where our lack of experience on the executive team has left us incapacitated when facing the kind of difficult challenges every company encounters during hyper-growth. Every trial our company faces becomes a crisis where the leaders charged with resolution are only equipped to make very educated guesses on the path forward. Again, this is not limited to sales, but it's especially prevalent there.

Advice to Management

We keep putting people in executive leadership positions who have never owned that function before. That's a key part of developing leaders, but when massive sectors of your company are being run by individuals who have only experienced their current function through case studies, it becomes incredibly self-limiting. Ironically, there are plenty of case studies demonstrating this.

You are hemorrhaging Sales Operations people. There is a root cause. Read the notes from the exit interviews and take them seriously, or you're going to end up with Sales Reps booking their own deals.

Glassdoor Response

Dec 18, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experience at Glassdoor. Our hope is that all Glassdoor employees feel their experience here is one that reflects... More

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Consultant in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am very thankful for the past 2 years that I have had at Glassdoor. It truly is an amazing place to work. I was brought on to the team to help start to Solutions Consulting program. My direct team immediately felt like family. Everyone has each others back, and truly cares about their teammates success. I was trusted with my work and learned a lot on the fly, which I loved. The Solutions Consultant team is growing and they are doing great things.

Other pros:
    1. Great manager and direct team
    2. Flexible WFH policies (which is necessary due to travel schedule)
    3. Dog friendly office for Mill Valley employees

Cons

1. The travel can be intense at times, especially in the busier months
    2. Career path isn’t 100% clear, but the team is growing which is positive
    3. Data can take a long time to load and can be complex to pull, which caused some late nights working on presentations
    4. Lack of new products is causing employee churn across the whole organization

Advice to Management

The sales team (Enterprise specifically) is itching for a new product. Over communicate and really listen to the Enterprise side of the business, otherwise you’ll continue to lose good people.

"Not a great company for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Catered Lunches
    Free Gym and Gym classes

Cons

Very little room to grow, often those who get ahead do so through nepotism. Glassdoor does not pay at a competitive market rate which is ironic in itself. The company hires the same cookie cutter people from Marin and there is a serious lack of diversity within the company. There is zero culture the only decent events are Halloween but even then people hang out downstairs for about 20 mins and then go back to work.

Advice to Management

Work on creating diversity and learning how to keep talent. Its not a secret that the company has such a low retention rate.

"Glassdoor takes cares of its employees and their families!"

Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is long overdue. Since I started with the company, I have felt a strong connection to our values and a deep desire to grow with Glassdoor. Local leadership is approachable and always willing to hear our ideas (and float them upwards when they are good ones!) Growth is possible as long as you continue to put in hard work month after month. Quota is challenging, but achievable, which is the whole point of having a sales quota.

The benefits for working parents are abundant: GREAT maternity leave, with 100% coverage AND commission compensation (this is unheard of!); flexibility with working from home when needed, and a culture of great people who love your children and embrace them as part of the Glassdoor family. The people who work at Glassdoor truly make our company as wonderful as it is. I am excited to come to work and see friends everyday. Glassdoor has some of the best talent in the workforce and it shows. There are TOO many people here to learn from!

I haven't even considered any outside opportunities since I have been here because Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you and your family. THAT, for me, is why I remain loyal to this company and I am looking forward to growing my career here.

Cons

At times, it can feel like SDRs are not as important or valuable to the company. Recently, however, leadership has been giving our SDR team shoutouts and if we continue to do that, it will add to the value we bring to the company. SDRs are usually the first voice or outreach to many companies, so investing in more training can improve sales and ROI over time. Sometimes it can be challenging working directly with teams in Mill Valley as a lot of communication is improved via proximity. We are, however, given plenty of tools to help improve this challenge.

Advice to Management

I think the change in the SDR leadership will be refreshing and an outside voice could be the catalyst into an even more powerful team. I think all teams would benefit from outside professional sales trainings, whether it is a training focused on cold calling, best email practices, or others of that nature. It would be great to see the Mill Valley executive team in the Chicago office more, although I know this is tough with busy schedules!

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teammates, feel truly able to be myself and "at home" at work. It feels inspiring to know our work makes an impact.

Cons

Changes and rapid growth may lead to some uncertainty, but we have strong leaders at the helm

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Appreciate the transparency and "walking the walk".

"Glassdoor is a wonderful place!"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great things about Glassdoor! Starting with the mission we truly are helping candidates everywhere find jobs the love and giving them the tools they need to make the next step in their career. The people at Glassdoor are wonderful as well, the Chicago office continues to grow it starts to get tough to know everyone by name but we still have monthly new hire breakfasts, bamf and happy hours to help! Everyone is really friendly so if you need help there is always someone willing to take a few minutes out of their day to answer questions. Robert is an amazing CEO and embraces transparency with monthly all-hands answering questions and giving the whole company updates. He is super authentic and down to earth. The managers at Glassdoor are great too and are always pushing for you to succeed and offer feedback and a plan to help get you to where you want to be. At Glassdoor, you feel like you are more than just a number and your opinion is valued. It really is a great place to work!!

Cons

We are always changing the way thing are done and Glassdoor likes to shake things up a lot - not a bad thing you just have to be able to roll with the punches and be adaptable.