Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

2. "Awesome place to intern!"

Former Employee - Intern in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, great leadership, awesome projects

Cons

none, its a great place to work

"Mission-Driven, Impactful & Fun"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I hate to start this off by mimicking the other reviews, the truth is that by far the greatest aspect of working at Glassdoor is the people. Though I worked on the Customer Success team, I became close with members across several other departments, and there really is a sense that everyone is in it together.

The mission of the company to help job seekers find the job that fits their life and to help employers tell their story and hire great talent is central to everything the company does. Yes, there are times when things can be a bit out of sync between departments, the overall vibe is that you're in it together.

I think it goes without saying that the shining light for over a year now has been the VP of Customer Success. I joined Glassdoor's CS team at a time when people were leaving left and right, there was no path for anyone to grow, and you weren't really sure what your priorities and function were. Chris came in and turned the whole org (and frankly the company) on its head and has made everything significantly better. I left a review about a year ago stating that he had stated a goal of making Customer Success THE department that people want to work in; and while I was extremely skeptical of that stretch goal (given the history of the department in the year leading up to then), I am extremely happy to say that I believe he has achieved that goal.

In the CS department, I really felt that he cared about the team's successful, as well as my own personal success. My managers supported and empowered me, and the position of CS within the company became one where CSMs were respected for the work they did and looked up to as experts in a number of areas. Additionally, he addressed a major pain point by elevating salaries to a competitive level for the SF Bay Area. Beyond that, bringing in a fantastic Director of Customer Success up-leveled the work we were able to do. I don't know if it was intentional or a happy accident, but by hiring someone with a complete opposite personality I believe the complement each other beautifully and create a great leadership team for ~50 CSMs.

Had it not been for an amazing opportunity that I couldn't have passed up, I would've surely stayed at Glassdoor.

And lastly, who wouldn't love free parking, free food, fantastic work-life balance, a waterfront location, and dogs E V E R Y W H E R E.

Cons

Keep showing the love to CS and letting the CSMs do their thing.

Really, the only major cons I can think of would be assistance in paying the GGB toll to get to and from the office in Mill Valley and stability in book changes and CSM/AM alignment changes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, and try to find a way to better connect the MV & Chicago CSM teams.

Nov 15, 2018 – VP Customer Success

Dear Glassdoor CS Alum

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review! It's always valuable for us to hear about the experience of working with our team.

It's really great to hear... More

"Sales - great place if you are positive, patient, and adaptable"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great People from Peers to Leaders - working here is genuinely fun and the people are awesome! In addition to senior leadership being super personable and humble, I've made some great friends here and am almost always happy to come into work every morning to see my coworkers/friends even though I have the flexibility to work from home! I do not take this for granted as I know what it’s like from past jobs to dread going to work every day.

* Constant Learning Opportunities - there is a lot to learn in Account Management. From formal Franklin Covey Sales Training to tribal knowledge (and a pretty unique knowledge-sharing sales culture) to working with clients in a variety of industries I am constantly sharpening my skills. Even when you know how to do your job there is ample opportunity to get involved cross-functionally, with trainings, interviews, etc and continue learning about business.

* Managers in Growth - tend to be awesome. I’ve worked closely with all of the managers in SMB Growth and have found them to all be incredible people. I've loved both my managers and they have definitely been instrumental in motivating me to stay at Glassdoor through good times and bad!!

* Flexible Schedule/Travel Opportunity - Managers in Growth are understanding about working from home which is amazing. I don’t use it that often but it’s great to feel like I am trusted and treated with respect. I often feel like I truly am the owner of my own business (my book of clients). Working with clients across locations and industries is really fun and we get the opportunity to plan our own travel to in person client meetings which is awesome!

* Mission - easy to get behind. For all the random tech companies to sell for, I might not be saving lives but maybe I’m helping a company hire people who are :)

* Dogs in the office are the best thing ever, definitely make my day every day!

* Office Location - being on the water in Mill Valley is amazing. The reverse commute is easy, it is serene environment and beautiful to get out of the city and have lunch outside every day

* Food - I genuinely appreciate the daily catered lunch, tea/snacks. They have options for every dietary restriction which goes a long way!

Cons

* Culture on the Decline - Our culture has suffered a lot recently, and I'm not sure why or how to fix it. The Fun Committee has pretty much disappeared. Monthly happy hours that used to be a blast have virtually zero attendance. It makes me sad how impersonal/automated company and department wide communications have become.
    * @Sales Leadership: Bluejeans Sales Huddles suck! It was way more fun and motivating when we convened in the cafe. I am guessing these measures have been taken to save time/efficiency but the result is a disjointed community and everyone is multitasking, not actually paying attention to the meetings as we would in person. This also takes away face-time with leadership that we really enjoyed! I also feel this way about the Video Company All Hands - which I’m guessing <50% of the company actually watched. I don’t think I'm the only one who STRONGLY prefers real meetings.

* SMB Growth partnership with CSS on Job Ads is NOT working. We need to allow high-spending job-ads accounts to have CSMs. I want to sell my clients the product that is the right fit to help them succeed, but it is getting to a point where i am fearful to move clients from slots to ads because there is a major risk the campaigns will not launch and will not perform as they are barely managed. When growth reps are measured on MCV and selling POCs we are being set up to fail attainment-wise if the trials we sell do not even launch so we obviously can’t prove performance in a short period. Glassdoor is an amazing product when we launch and when educated CSMs are managing campaigns - please help us help our clients succeed!!

* FY19 Sales Changes are a Bummer - We moved from a Bookings attainment model to Monthly Contract Value (MCV) and it has been a nightmare. Even after finally understanding how it works (far into the fiscal year, and I’m sure some people are still lost), it became apparent how flawed this model is. It is not motivating in the way Bookings was and forecasting is a headache and a half. MCV doesn’t make sense for getting promoted/switching roles or leaving the company because there is no way for reps to get credit in these situations and it's shocking that there was no foresight into this. Leadership tries to spin it as that we should do what is best for the business but at the end of the day that is an unreasonable ask - I am a sales person and am motivated by getting credit for what I sell. Please switch back to bookings in FY20!

* Forecasting Mess - I know this has been mentioned in other reviews. We switched forecasting tools form Clari to Aviso which has been a struggle since Aviso doesn’t work, deals randomly fall out, notes won’t update etc. I spend 2x as long on forecasting as I used to when we used Clari. This tool was supposed to be rolled out to use at the start of FY19 (April) but it is now almost half way through the year and it is still not working. It’s hard to get excited about promises made at SKO when the result is this far off year after year. How does it take this long?

* Onboarding is Not Great - important note if you are considering accepting a job at Glassdoor: our on boarding experience in growth can be a bit of a “find your own way” experience as training is geared towards new business. Luckily, people are generally really nice and happy to help, but it’s not a hand-held easy training experience last time I checked. Be ready to make your own way, start-up style... even though we are not a start-up anymore which is awkward.

* Billing & Sales Ops are both ridiculously understaffed, which has a major negative impact on sales teams. Leadership/HR if you read this - please please hire more billing people!

Advice to Management

I know we as Glassdoor do our best to “walk the talk” of transparency and valuing the employee experience. I am proud to work here and love being a champion for Glassdoor and working with my clients. I would not do anything differently, and hope to continue wanting to stay here for several more years. That said, morale in Growth is pretty low right now and I’m starting to worry I won’t be motivated to get promoted to Enterprise Growth if things don’t change due to the pain they are experiencing (per the recent reviews). I am hopeful that you will listen to my and others' feedback and try to make change. Thank you for reading this!

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sale in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sale in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibile management and a good product to sell make hitting quotas seem attainable!

Cons

As it gets bigger and bigger they are losing a bit of their "startup" feel.

Advice to Management

Please keep your small company, transparent values!

"Highly political environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor provides individuals starting out a great opportunity for learning how to operate at a very high caliber, use data to prove a point and take on challenging work.

Cons

The environment here is highly political. If you’re not having lunch with the right people, going to most social events or making the right friends, it will be difficult to climb the ladder here.

Advice to Management

Crack down on office politics.

"Growth team, left out to dry."

Current Employee - Enterprise Growth in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Growth in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is an impactful tool for a job seeker, and knowing we promote this for employers to embrace is an amazing feeling. We've brought transparency to an industry that needed it and we do it in the most fair way we possibly can. Investing millions of dollars into Content moderation and never deleting reviews because we are "asked."

The people I work with are smart, gritty, and hardworking. We work long hours, we’re often frustrated, but we have fun. Our managers are strong, our director is fearless.

Yes, hours can be really long at times, however we have transitioned in our CS partners to help with some of account management and while not perfect, it's been helpful.

Cons

If you're a candidate interviewing for the ENT AM role, I would not recommend it.

Business decisions have been made in favor of our new biz and strat teams for years now.

The new comp plan has major problems. Reps hitting quarterly quotas is no longer depictive of sales skill, hustle, and “trusting the process”. Opportunity in rep books is wildly different. The journey of FY2019 is enormously more challenging for some than others.

There was a day when we had sub accounts, when new biz had one chance to sell and then had to pass over accounts. A day when an account that wasn’t truly an enterprise business would be passed down. When our best accounts were kept in our book. All of this has changed because it’s “good for the business” but it’s really been us passing opportunity to other groups of the org.

While the comp plans OTE may look identical between the ENT AM vs. AE role, it was quickly proven in Q1 that AEs have the opportunity to make over 200% their quarterly number and bring in an enormous amount of money, crazy amount. THIS WILL NEVER BE POSSIBLE FOR AN AM REP BASED ON OUR COMP PLAN DESIGN. The amount of anger this brings me as an oversight from our leadership can not be expressed thoroughly via a gd review. Shame on you.

If leadership believes the group carrying the largest quotas should not have the same opportunity to blow it out of the park, it's on us to decide if we want to work at this company.

Advice to Management

The result of the above is jaded reps who lost their sparkle and are updating their resumes. It makes me sad, and I hope it concerns our leaders. Frustration is at an all time high. These reps carry the largest quotas in the entire sales org. It feels like glassdoor is asking us all to leave, are you?

It can’t be understated, growth is complex. But you've failed to bring in a VP who can navigate this. And since you've never been able to figure it out, you've allowed problems to escalate, products to break, a really talented manager to leave, and labeled reps that speak out as complainers. They aren't complaining, they're asking to sell reliable products with credible data and have equal opportunity to hit accelerators as peers.

Growth should have demanded new products years ago.

What I can’t understand is that retaining and growing clients is the future of our business. But products continue to break, the client experience is average, no new products come out, and AM work is undervalued.

Let me be clear, this is not an attack on our new biz folks. They're talented, smart, and hard working. They turn non-glassdoor believers into champions, that's powerful.

This review is an attempt to use glassdoor for its purpose. Bring transparency to a job seeker and provide feedback to our CEO and COO. This ship will sink if we don't find a solution to the above.

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company and always striving to be better.

Cons

Continue developing products for future hiring trends

Advice to Management

Continue investing in product roadmap

"It really is amazing here at Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team - everyone is friendly and collaborative

Bring your dog to work - literally every day

Catered lunch - every day

Beautiful views on the water in Mill Valley

Cons

I struggle to really think of any at the moment.

Nov 15, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Mill Valley CSM

Thanks for writing a review and fantastic to hear that you're loving your work in Customer Success at Glassdoor!

I agree that awesome team + dogs + views + catered lunch... More

10. "Incredible Sales Team!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Strong mission
    - Great benefits and perks
    - Opportunity to sell an amazing product
    - Great people all around, management truly supports you
    - Fast paced environment with aggressive/attainable quotas
    - The CEO Robert Hohman really cares about his employees

Cons

- Chicago office needs to allow dogs on-site (maybe every Friday?), the California office allows dogs. Huge con for dog lovers.

Advice to Management

Please continue to preach transparency across all levels of the organization. You do an amazing job listening to your employees and implementing feedback quickly.

As Glassdoor continues to grow, do not let the culture or values fade. Keep quotas attainable to keep morale high. Thanks for all that you do!