Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager (in 59 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting Times, Great People"

Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 years later and I still feel so lucky to work here! My HR (People) leadership team supports me and constantly pushes me to grow. My goals and the goals of my teammates are clear, and we are encouraged to help each other and teach each other along the way. My opportunities feel endless here, there is always something new and exciting to work on around the corner. The benefits are extremely generous: free healthcare for employees, catered lunch every day, an onsite gym and locker rooms, Chariot to take you over the Golden Gate Bridge, and the best view of the Bay right outside your desk window.

Cons

The only constant here is change. If you can't roll with the punches and adapt to new processes, leadership, opportunities or whatever it may be, you might not enjoy the environment here. With that said, these changes teach us to be resilient and adaptable - both invaluable traits to learn in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us like you already are. The surveys, the Huddles (all company meetings), and the constant communication from Robert all help to make us feel like we are in this together.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Glassdoor. Our people team works tirelessly to make sure everyone has the best experience here and I’m glad that’s ringing true... More

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
    I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

"Big Improvement On How Things Were, But Still A Ways To Go"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working the CS at Glassdoor and have seen drastic changes in the department, largely for the better. Under our last VP, things were disorganized, unclear, misguided, and toxic. Colleagues were leaving the department left and right, complaints and bad moods abounded, and I really thought that it was going to continue getting worse. After that director left, the department still floated a bit and there was a lot of confusion for everyone.

However, the past couple of months have been a vast improvement in things for the department. The new VP came in with the right mindset of understanding the business, the company, and the department before making any judgments and enacting changes. I respect that he wants our department to be agile and evolve on the fly as necessary (while it may seem that some initiatives aren’t fully flushed out, its exciting to be in the thick of it and be kept on our toes). After nearly a year of waiting, we’ve finally been given a clear set of competencies for roles and levels of seniority in our department so that we know what to work on in order to grow. Our managers are receptive to our feedback and do their best to incorporate our ideas into the changes being made, I feel like leadership is really beginning to invest in our professional development, and we’re given freedom to take initiative in making improvements in our day-to-day work.

While the role of CSM can be repetitive at times, being able to explore other interest areas and find ways to incorporate them into our work. The new VP has said that he wants CS to be the pride of Glassdoor and the department people look to join; I feel this is a lofty goal, but it is apparent that he is sincere about and invested in this mission and is making strides towards it. I also appreciate that being in CS affords me a chance to collaborate with other teams and departments.

For Glassdoor as a whole, I feel like things were going downhill kind of quickly a few months back in terms of morale and the uncertainty of the direction the company was taking, but I feel that the ship has leveled and increased transparency and engagement from Robert and other leadership are starting to have a good impact.

Also can’t complain about great work-life balance, dogs, and free parking and lunch.

Cons

Pay could be better and 401k match would be nice, and while I’d like to be making more, some of the aforementioned perks make up for it, not to mention unlimited PTO and full benefits.

Communication on initiatives and collaboration across departments could use improvement; I often feel that conversations or requests are routed up and over through leadership instead of directly between employees.

From what I’ve heard, things have been tough on the Sales side, between quotas and the products available to sell. Updates to the product that employers care about should be prioritized, especially differentiators in our jobs product that can better track and deliver quality candidates instead of increased to drive volume and reduce costs per applicant (we’ll never beat Indeed on those). We need to be stronger in pushing the value and measurement of employer brand and employee engagement and tie that to the jobs product.

I’d also like to see more collaboration and engagement between offices, especially for Mill Valley & Chicago CS teams.

And please, do something about the sales floor. No concrete suggestions here, but there’s something about the setup that contributes to a weird vibe at times where it can extremely loud or uncomfortably quiet. I think the layout could be better to contribute to collaboration and an increased sense of connectivity (other teams feel very far from each other and infer this inhibits a sense of community).

Advice to Management

Be more transparent more regularly. Really invest in the development of your employees: they’re your greatest asset. The attrition rate needs to really cut back and we need to let people know they are valued, that their development is being invested in, and that they have a clear and promising path to grow their career at Glassdoor).

Please invest in a better version of Tableau (and coffee machines).

"Easy Sales. Great Culture. Good place to grow."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super easy sales
     - You close sales in 2-3 calls for Small or Medium Businesses.
     - Pipeline is always moving because of the quick sales cycle.
     - Everyone knows who Glassdoor is so when you are on the call it's always warm.
     - Monthly quotas keep you motivated the whole quarter long which creates a fast-paced environment

Great culture for growing a career
     - More than anything, people aren't judgemental. Be yourself and no one will give you a hard time.
     - Managers have your back.
     - You never feel like anyone is looking over your shoulder.
     - You can expect to be promoted every 12 months if you're doing well and the managers like you.
     - You learn sales methods from professional programs instead of learning everything on your own.
     - People are suuuuuuuper friendly and helpful
     - If you like to drink, the SF culture just seems to drink a ton so get ready for that
     - There's an SF office, a Chicago office, and a few international offices. If you want to transfer offices, live in London, etc. Glassdoor is actually open to it!

Perks and Benefits
     - CATERED MEALS are AMAZING! They've really found caterers who bring you great food every single day
     - Health, Dental, Life is all covered for you and partially covered for family members but it's top-of-the-line insurance providers
     - Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager. If you want to come in early and leave early, great. If not, most are expected to be here from 8-5 with an hour lunch. However, if you ever need to leave or stay home or go on a trip, they are super flexible and don't give you a hard time.

Leadership
     - They've had their struggles in the past but recognize that and have changed a TON.
     - The VP of Sales will actually sit in a room with sales reps and ask them what needs to be changed and they actually listen.
     - The CEO listens to feedback and consistently is trying to improve transparency and communication. He's also just a genuinely good guy.

Cons

Here are the few I've found
     - This place is LIBERAL. Good for half of you, maybe bad for the other half of you. All of SF is really liberal in general but if you're already living here then you're used to it. People aren't judgemental if you are republican, but I feel like you'll just hear a lot of left-wing chatter and that might bug some right-wing folks.
     - This place DRINKS! Once agian, good for some, maybe not for others. If you don't drink or don't want to be around people who do, maybe Glassdoor isn't for you. Once again, no one will judge at all if you don't, but there is a lot of that here.
     - Leadership is still making changes to improve compensation and I would say change in general is a minor challange.
     - Some leaders don't seem super strong, you know? Like, they aren't the type of people everyone wants to follow.
     - Compensation is enough to get by, but could be better. Like I said, they are making changes to get you more money.
     - If you perform, you'll get promoted. But there is definitely a "cultural fit" aspect to promotions as well. So know that to get promoted, managers will definitely have to like you. If you aren't likeable, you might not even get hired so...... nevermind

Advice to Management

Get strong leaders in place that have done this kind of thing before, not everyone has to be an internal promotion.

Figure out a way to pay salespeople more

Keep listening to us

5. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (US - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

"Culture Clash"

Pros

Nice office and smart people

Cons

Within the last year managers and leaders were hired who don’t fit culturally. Now solid people who have supported the organization over several years are making plans to leave. Morale is low.

Advice to Management

Return to making sure new hires are aligned with our culture.

"Awesome leadership & great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing CEO (Robert) who really cares for the team members and is extremely genuine in trying to create a great platform for people to use in searching for a company. I loved the collaborative environment, flexibility to own your stuff, and the challenge to be at the forefront of building great software. Thanks for the awesome experience.

Cons

I worked a lot, but this was mostly my own desire - I didn't feel micro-managed in any way, I just loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership and keep pushing the industry to create transparency for the world.

Nov 29, 2017 – Co-Founder and CEO

It's awesome to hear such positive feedback! We truly value our employees and really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience during your time with us. We have a lot... More

"International Content & Community Associate"

Former Employee - International Content & Community Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Glassdoor is being part of an uplifting and dynamic team that is dedicated to disrupt the old standards of how to find a job you love. Also, Glassdoor has great benefits: bring your dog to work, a full gym and game room, complimentary catered lunch each day are just a few to mention. In the content department, there is the opportunity to work outside the office, as long as expectations are met. I loved my co-workers and can honestly say there was not ever any drama within the team and team support was natural and genuine. Very much enjoyed my time there. When the company made a business decision to consolidate operations, they offered a nice severance package and I came away with a much better knowledge on how to go about finding that next job and how to negotiate my salary using “Know Your Worth” on Glassdoor’s website. The overall best benefit!

Cons

99% of my time I spent in front of my computer, and the work was repetitive. I did have the flexibility to clock in and out of projects during the day, but you are still expected to produce a full 8 hours of high quality work. In my position, the lack of creativity did dull my drive and my attention would wander... This is not a reflection on the company, but a reflection of the particular position that I was in. If you are a people person, want to move around a lot and are fueled by challenges, than another department such as sales, may be a better fit.

Advice to Management

Keep going - it's working! And, THANK YOU for the opportunity.

Nov 6, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. We strive to walk our talk and provide a positive working environment for our employees. It's so good to hear that you felt genuinely supported and a... More

"Bring Back That Lovin' Feelin'"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons I love working at Glassdoor:
    1) We are making a major impact in the landscape of recruiting. The mission to help people everywhere find a job and a company they love is meaningful and is something I feel excited about doing every day. I enjoy the conversations I have with our employer partners and I feel like I'm helping them shape their strategy. It's rewarding work.
    2) The people! What other reviewers say is true... I work alongside the smartest, most hard working and driven individuals. It's a true team environment where we all help and support each other.
    3) My managers. I've been incredibly lucky to work for and learn from two really talented individuals in my time here. I always feel they have my best interest at heart, work to remove obstacles, coach me with valuable feedback and push me to be better. While my two managers have been very different, have both taught me skills that will benefit me well past my tenure at Glassdoor.
    4) Add all of the perks like ongoing professional and EQ training, free lunch and snacks, team events, an onsite gym and classes, free health benefits, a beautiful and sunny location, dogs in the office... it truly is a great place to work.

Cons

I am sad to say that it feels like the wheels are falling off in so many areas of the business, and it's easy to lose track of all of the things I love about working here. Each department is stretched incredibly thin. B2B Product rolls out half-finished, not well thought-through products, Data Science is understaffed and can't produce the reporting the sales team needs, Product Marketing can't keep up with sales collateral because they have to jump through 100 hoops to get something developed then approved, our Customer Success team is understaffed/overworked/underpaid and managing too many accounts .... it's no fault of the people in these departments, many of them are incredibly talented, it's that we need more of them.

Specifically for the ENT Account Management group, I can't even begin to calculate the amount of time spent pulling reports and building presentations for client meetings. This needs to be automated so we can our time strategically selling into our accounts. Like ASAP, not "it's coming." A number of positive changes have been made this year (i.e. reducing the number of accounts each AM manages, fewer reps under one manager, newly created/to-be-formed Customer Insights team) but if you're looking at this role, you need to be prepared to work a lot of late hours, travel around the country and likely only hit 80-90% of your quota.

Quotas and Compensation? We'll look past the fact that our Fiscal Year started April 1, but we didn't have our quotas until May, nor our Comp Plans until the first week of July. Quotas are structured with unrealistic expectations of revenue growth when our product hasn't historically performed well enough to justify a larger investment from our clients. Although a number of people on the team were asked their input on the structure of both quota and comp, it was all in vain as it doesn't seem any was taken into account. Comp is below market value and an unattainable quota means you're not hitting your OTE and even more underpaid for working 60+ hour weeks. Not to mention you just plain don't feel like you're winning and successful.

Advice to Management

Stop the broken record. Real talk: the last 2+ years have been painful. Last year you told us you heard us, that things were broken and that this year they would be better: "we have multiple MBA's working on quotas!" I feel like I had blind faith that it would be. I trusted the process, and well, the jokes on me because it's not better. We know exactly how this story ends because we saw it play out last year: the entire sales team loses morale, our best people leave for greener pastures, we don't hit quota, we're all under immense pressure and the org and business struggle as a result. Help us feel set up to win by creating realistic and achievable goals, get into the trenches with us and feel and hear what we're facing every day to be able to do so.

I'm having a hard time seeing all of the great things we're doing and progress we're making because every single message from our CEO and sr leadership is that the growth team is failing the business, that we need to put our heads down, that we need to fight fight fight and just "do the damn thing." Reset and find an inspiring way of motivating us, of helping us see the forrest through the trees or why we're all here working so hard. Like many of my team mates, I want to be here, I want to love my job, I want to win - help me do that!

"Ent 2 Growth - Need more growth focus but getting better overall"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people

The vision and a belief in the mission

The product roadmap

The benefits, especially for family defendants

Amazing CEO

Cons

Lots of meetings

Sometimes feel like a customer service rep

Company feels like it's Customer tolerant vs customer advocate when dealing with internal issues - sounds like we are changing this though!

Csm and am roles have never made sense in the 4 years I've been here, but hoping this improves with the changes going on

Pay is very cyclical, some are struggling due to annual bonuses basically vs quarterly given the nature of when our business renews.

Advice to Management

Robert/Kate: I challenge you to consider the lack of thought diversity on the sales leadership team regarding growth vs new business.

My anonymous advice is that we need a VP of enterprise growth who oversees ent 1 and ent 2 growth. I would personally be more motivated tomorrow with a growth focused VP at the top of my org chart.

(We wouldn't need to look far as we have an amazing leader of ent 2 growth who would make a really good fit. I would run through walls for her)

Oct 25, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. As you mentioned we are making positive changes in the sales org. We are listening and will continue to listen and make changes based upon feedback... More

"Drained and Confused"

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- straightforward product to sell
    - notoriety with job seekers gives us a chance to sell against LinkedIn and Indeed
    - hardworking individual contributors who can be friends outside of the office if that is your style
    - Great office locations nationally and internationally (SF, Chicago, London, Dublin, Ohio)
    - Admirable senior leadership team that will offer mentorship, guidance and encouragement when you ask for it

Cons

- Politics: favoritism is rampant and cadres closest with upper management gets the first look at promotions
    - Profitability: seems to be an issue because we are cutting back on employee perks
    - Accountability: Managers are stretched thin but when they make almost 200k and when you do the office work they ask from you, you expect them to do at least the things they say they will do
    - Patronizing: clap twice if you agree with me

Advice to Management

Robert. You missed a good opportunity to be a real person today with your Chicago office. Delivering that news is a difficult task but you hid behind a subordinate yet again.

Please apologize to the new hires who now feel duped. Employees that have been here a while unfortunately are not shocked. We feel embarrassed and disappointed.

Rich Barton would say "swing big". We seem to keep swinging and missing.

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for the feedback.

Internal promotions are a huge part of coming to work for Glassdoor, and in sales in particular, they are based pretty purely on performance. We will take into account... More