Glassdoor Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2021

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Glassdoor and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Collaborative culture, ability for high impact

Mar 16, 2021 - Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor's culture is very collaborative with great people. There's a high level of autonomy and trust to make an impact. Love my coworkers and miss being in the office together!

Cons

Like most companies right now, burnout is high. Leadership is addressing with company days off and managing expectations and workload. Indeed partnership is great and tough at the same time. Partnership has been successful and seeing the business impact. Tough because Indeed has a different culture and is much larger than Glassdoor, so often hard to make progress and fight for what Glassdoor needs.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

4 years in and going strong

Apr 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is the favorite company I've worked for so far in my career. First and foremost, the company has an amazing company culture. People are really good to one another here. While people are smart and driven, they also care about making sure that everyone works together well. Glassdoor is also having a lot of success as a company. Like any early stage company there are ups and downs, but over the 4 years I've been here I've seen revenue triple and the employee base grow by a similar amount. And I love Glassdoor's mission and that we are creating transparency for job seekers all around the world.

Cons

None really. It's worth saying that we have some big competitors (LinkedIn, Indeed) in our industry so you have to bring your A-game. But I believe in what we're doing and our results show we are having success.

116 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Do what you love with the best team and company

Feb 16, 2021 - Lead Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is one of the best companies to work for!!! Inclusive culture, collaborative teams, knowledgable yet down to earth people and excellent leadership makes this place 10/10. Every individual seems to be hand-picked by the hiring team and is not only capable of doing their job right but is also a great cultural fit. In spite of this rigorous hiring process, any contradicting behavior is observed within the team, immediate action is taken to resolve the conflict in the best possible way. Let's just say that there is zero tolerance to any adverse behaviors which could demotivate anyone to love their job here. The strong and empathetic leadership with great values flowing top to bottom makes this place unique. Every individual is willing to learn new things and is always excited to share their knowledge to train others. The mission to help people find the job they love starts at home and is expanded to the outside world. Join Glassdoor if you are someone who believes in this mission, loves to work with people, focuses on solution-based approach, encourages critical thinking, constantly learns from the failures and most of all values the inclusive culture!

Cons

None as such. It is a mid sized company with a lot of great initiatives but limited workforce. Although, this works in favor of many since the ownership and success can be closely experienced. This also gives an opportunity to learn and participate without having any restricted boundaries around role.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture, great people, too bad covid happened

Mar 23, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and benefits. Product is pretty easy to learn. Plenty of resources to help you be successful. Company did take care of employees with severance when company did major layoffs.

Cons

Covid caused a lot of layoffs. Felt almost blindsided when 200+ of us were let go. We were told over and over that with Recruit being parent company there was plenty of cash to be able to handle the shift. Then very quickly we were told out of the blue we'd have an emergency meeting and we were given the news that we were being laid off after continuous times being told we are in great shape. It wasn't transparent. It almost felt as if Recruit took advantage of the Covid situation to do what they were probably going to do later. The whole market was affected but the transparency of being in great shape and then the big shock is what hurt.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sitting in Limbo

Feb 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, always. From the top down, every truly cares for one another and the success of the group. It’s evolved quite a bit since the layoffs of 2020 but you can still rely on enjoying your coworkers. The pay has also been pretty solid this fiscal year as well. Since we were projecting very low performance initially (due to changes in books, partnerships, and products), it’s been great for people to overachieve. There’s a true effort on leaderships side to keep the good ones around.

Cons

The limbo we sit in is caused by all the changes referenced above. We get quarterly quotas 45 days into each quarter (scary for sales people). We have to learn a new ‘process’ for something about once a week which typically breaks and has to be rebuilt. And not all of the individual contributors (below management level) are bought in on the future potential of our company— so they leave. There’s a lot of promises that we’re moving in the right direction and the future is bright, but optimism will only take us so far.

6. 5.0

Finally found a home

Apr 22, 2021 - Enterprise Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is very transparent. The leadership is so encouraging and they really listen whenever you have concerns. The benefits and salary are the best I've had in 10+ career since college. I'm so lucky to work here.

Cons

Because of the state of a digital business, there is a fair amount of turnover and you need to adjust to new team members frequently.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not What It Used To Be

Mar 30, 2021 - People Team
      Business Outlook

Pros

- remote work available - great benefits - workplace experience team is amazing at trying to keep employees engaged

Cons

- Leadership is very disengaged and the majority are interviewing elsewhere - Transparency has been lacking in the past 12 months and a merger with Indeed is inevitable even though leadership keeps saying its a "partnership" - Lack of diversity. Leadership wants a quick fix for fixing the diversity issue but does not want to fix the underlining problems within the organization regarding bias. - HR is not authentic. Every interaction is fake and they just keep hiring people from their own networks creating an unauthentic groupthink situation. - All teams are running on fumes and employees feel so burnt out. It is not until the majority of the team quits, that they will open a backfill. - They claim you can be your authentic self but if you aren't the person they want you to be, they will hold it against you and will hurt your career growth.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Sinking Ship

Mar 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

People Remote Policy PTO - if you can take it

Cons

- The company focus can and will change rapidly. The impact of this can directly impacting your work hours and mental health. - The rationale behind changes is not always clearly communicated, which leads to employee disengagement and confusion. - There is a lack of business focus and prioritization (or, if prioritization is happening it is not being communicated effectively). This leads to a massive amount of work to be done in absolutely insane timelines. - Burnout is rampant. 60% of our employee survey shows people are overworked. It's nice that they give us extra days off but we still come back to ton of work. Resources are lacking. - You are asked to always do more, burnout is part of life at Glassdoor and you have to accept it that you will not have work-life balance here. - We are losing ton of good talent, people see the writing on the wall that the future of Glassdoor is unstable. It's just a matter of time until they merge with Indeed and Indeed has been and will be calling all the shots. Glassdoor tries to retain people with benefits (RSUs, extra days off, etc) but there's so much you can do to keep people here.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great mentorship and work/life balance with more than fair pay

Feb 18, 2021 - Senior Search Quality Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Long-term career growth opportunities within the org. - A+ work/life balance initiatives and perspectives (you are encouraged to take time off when needed) - Very transparent principles held by upper management that flows down to each team - Equitable pay and great benefits

Cons

- No major cons that readily come to mind. Sometimes I wish there were some more team-building events but I understand the lack of activities due to covid. - More company-hosted events such as going hiking together or go-karting (in a post-pandemic future) would help facilitate a more team-oriented culture.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Right mission statement, but empty words

Dec 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor had good people sprinkled throughout, good people with good hearts, wanting to take their skills, expertise and collaboration with thought leaders and actually build a high-quality product. But only a few, and not enough.

Cons

Will make this quick. Leadership (non-product) was a biz ops party through and through, and at times, felt a lot like you had to be "one of the guys" to be heard. With a basically all-White management team, and just a sprinkle of diversity across the senior-level directors does a disservice to what you guys call yourselves - an open company. A company with the opportunity to be the solution job seekers need, especially during these times, yet it was clear they weren't ready to sacrifice short-term growth for a long-term strategy focused on building a strong product. Though the culture was "open", not once did I feel like a part of the team. It's a dog eat dog culture, all about bettering yourself and not working as a team. Managers need to learn how to empower, mentor and provide air coverage for their teams. Being a manager isn't about taking the credit by putting yourself in the spotlight, it's about coaching and leveling up your team.

8 people found this review helpful