Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting Times, Great People"

Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 years later and I still feel so lucky to work here! My HR (People) leadership team supports me and constantly pushes me to grow. My goals and the goals of my teammates are clear, and we are encouraged to help each other and teach each other along the way. My opportunities feel endless here, there is always something new and exciting to work on around the corner. The benefits are extremely generous: free healthcare for employees, catered lunch every day, an onsite gym and locker rooms, Chariot to take you over the Golden Gate Bridge, and the best view of the Bay right outside your desk window.

Cons

The only constant here is change. If you can't roll with the punches and adapt to new processes, leadership, opportunities or whatever it may be, you might not enjoy the environment here. With that said, these changes teach us to be resilient and adaptable - both invaluable traits to learn in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us like you already are. The surveys, the Huddles (all company meetings), and the constant communication from Robert all help to make us feel like we are in this together.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Glassdoor. Our people team works tirelessly to make sure everyone has the best experience here and I’m glad that’s ringing true... More

2. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating. I felt at home as soon as I joined and I feel like there are so many opportunities to grow within the company. I am excited to see what the company does within the next few years.

Cons

The commute is sometimes tough but it makes it worth it when you love where you work.

"Bring Back That Lovin' Feelin'"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons I love working at Glassdoor:
    1) We are making a major impact in the landscape of recruiting. The mission to help people everywhere find a job and a company they love is meaningful and is something I feel excited about doing every day. I enjoy the conversations I have with our employer partners and I feel like I'm helping them shape their strategy. It's rewarding work.
    2) The people! What other reviewers say is true... I work alongside the smartest, most hard working and driven individuals. It's a true team environment where we all help and support each other.
    3) My managers. I've been incredibly lucky to work for and learn from two really talented individuals in my time here. I always feel they have my best interest at heart, work to remove obstacles, coach me with valuable feedback and push me to be better. While my two managers have been very different, have both taught me skills that will benefit me well past my tenure at Glassdoor.
    4) Add all of the perks like ongoing professional and EQ training, free lunch and snacks, team events, an onsite gym and classes, free health benefits, a beautiful and sunny location, dogs in the office... it truly is a great place to work.

Cons

I am sad to say that it feels like the wheels are falling off in so many areas of the business, and it's easy to lose track of all of the things I love about working here. Each department is stretched incredibly thin. B2B Product rolls out half-finished, not well thought-through products, Data Science is understaffed and can't produce the reporting the sales team needs, Product Marketing can't keep up with sales collateral because they have to jump through 100 hoops to get something developed then approved, our Customer Success team is understaffed/overworked/underpaid and managing too many accounts .... it's no fault of the people in these departments, many of them are incredibly talented, it's that we need more of them.

Specifically for the ENT Account Management group, I can't even begin to calculate the amount of time spent pulling reports and building presentations for client meetings. This needs to be automated so we can our time strategically selling into our accounts. Like ASAP, not "it's coming." A number of positive changes have been made this year (i.e. reducing the number of accounts each AM manages, fewer reps under one manager, newly created/to-be-formed Customer Insights team) but if you're looking at this role, you need to be prepared to work a lot of late hours, travel around the country and likely only hit 80-90% of your quota.

Quotas and Compensation? We'll look past the fact that our Fiscal Year started April 1, but we didn't have our quotas until May, nor our Comp Plans until the first week of July. Quotas are structured with unrealistic expectations of revenue growth when our product hasn't historically performed well enough to justify a larger investment from our clients. Although a number of people on the team were asked their input on the structure of both quota and comp, it was all in vain as it doesn't seem any was taken into account. Comp is below market value and an unattainable quota means you're not hitting your OTE and even more underpaid for working 60+ hour weeks. Not to mention you just plain don't feel like you're winning and successful.

Advice to Management

Stop the broken record. Real talk: the last 2+ years have been painful. Last year you told us you heard us, that things were broken and that this year they would be better: "we have multiple MBA's working on quotas!" I feel like I had blind faith that it would be. I trusted the process, and well, the jokes on me because it's not better. We know exactly how this story ends because we saw it play out last year: the entire sales team loses morale, our best people leave for greener pastures, we don't hit quota, we're all under immense pressure and the org and business struggle as a result. Help us feel set up to win by creating realistic and achievable goals, get into the trenches with us and feel and hear what we're facing every day to be able to do so.

I'm having a hard time seeing all of the great things we're doing and progress we're making because every single message from our CEO and sr leadership is that the growth team is failing the business, that we need to put our heads down, that we need to fight fight fight and just "do the damn thing." Reset and find an inspiring way of motivating us, of helping us see the forrest through the trees or why we're all here working so hard. Like many of my team mates, I want to be here, I want to love my job, I want to win - help me do that!

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly love this company. There is a great culture and I love everyone from the CEO, to my VP, to the people who site next to me everyday at the office. The company treats us so well as employees that sometimes I feel guilty lol. On the other hand, it makes me really appreciate my job and motivates me to bust my but to do a great job in return. Great culture, great benefits, great work/life balance and work from home option (within reason), and a great team of people. It's amazing to me looking back on how far this company has come in the 3 short years I've worked here. We have tons of fun and work really hard. There is a sea of growth potential here both personally and professionally- from round table discussions, to on line learning, to leadership workshops. Glassdoor lives their mission.

Cons

The pace at which things change can seem rattling at times, but that's start up life. On the other hand, it's really cool to be a part of figuring it all out and building processes. I've also learned how to be more adaptable as a human being and manager as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. And remember there are just some people who will never be happy or satisfied no matter what you do. From me personally, thank you for everything you do for us!

"Finally, A Company That Feels Like Home"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 15 years in my career, I've finally found a company that truly fits 96% if not more of my needs, wants and desires. It is the perfect place for me in my life right now, professionally and personally. I used to think that a job could only be but so good -- that it could only satisfy two of the three major requirements (pay, people and project). My husband says that he learned in business school that you will, in fact, only ever get two of the three. However, I have found all three at Glassdoor. A great salary, funny/hard-working people and a project or work product that challenges me every day and gives me the autonomy I've been looking for.

It's a senior start-up, as I like to say. Glassdoor has the nimbleness of a start-up with none of the uncertainty. It has the professional polish of a large company without the politics or bureaucracy. It's a great place for those who know what they want and have the drive, passion and mid-career experience to make it happen.

Cons

As a member of the marketing organization, I don't experience many of the downsides that others might. Overall it's a very strong organization. However, to provide balance, here are the areas that need improvement:
    -Clear focus on business objectives and resources. While there is so much to do with the product and in the space, Glassdoor is only 750 people. Prioritization is key. To do everything we want to do, we'll have to either focus on the 80-20 rule more, or hire more people.

-Location. I love working on the waterfront, but the commute is hard for 85% of the company in Mill Valley. A larger SF office with opportunities to work from there would be great not only for current staff but for our recruitment and retention efforts.

-People of Color. No need to beat around the bush, I'm not talking about "diversity." I'm referring to actual people of color in our ranks. We need more. We have diversity of thought, gender, socio-economic status, etc. However, Glassdoor truly struggles with hiring and retaining people of color. It's no longer okay to say that we're not as big as our contemporaries and, therefore, cannot put the emphasis on hiring people of color. It's imperative to our innovation and growth that we invest in racially diverse communities.

"What is my purpose?"

Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are cool, benefits are good. pay isn't that good but my job isn't either, so I guess it's what I expect.

Cons

I'm a CSM, and I keep wondering: what is my job? There's overlap, we're told, between us and the Account Managers. We're "strategic" we're told, but when it comes down to it, we are actually very very tactical and reactionary. I really don't know what purpose I serve in this role.

Account Managers and CSMs don't coexist in most companies. CSMs are actually the evolution of Account Managers. Don't believe me? Go! Read job descriptions! Talk to CS people and leaders! What we as CSMs do at Glassdoor is a mix between support and PPC managers, and as more and more of that gets automated, I wonder: Why are we needed? Is it because the Account Managers don't get job ads? Because i think we all know that's not true. They can learn how to speak to them, and they should be able to speak to them because they are responsible for the accounts! They need to know this! Is it because the Account Managers clam up and hand off to he CSM when tracking gets brought up? Again, I learned, so can they.

It seems like a big waste of money and resources to have so much overlap in roles between CSMs and AMs, and in light of the recent announcement to get lean, doesn't it make more sense to really think through this? I don't want to see everyone lose their jobs, but I think we can all agree that the set up at Glassdoor doesn't make sense, and it all seems like a bunch of busy work that I'm doing all day long. Or being questioned and made to feel like people are trying to catch me in a mistake. Not fun.

Advice to Management

Think about it. You can eliminate the CSM role, continue with support and Implementation, increase headcount in both and let the AMs own the accounts. Get some admins to assist in deck creation and report pulling, and there you go.

Sep 13, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Chicago CSM

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. You've raised some important questions here that I will try my best to answer.

In my experience, the role of the Customer... More

"Trending in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have hired some truly amazing people in the last 10 months who are going to take our Chicago office to the next level of awesomeness! We are also moving to our new Fulton market office, and I cannot wait!!!
    2016 had its challenges as we were figuring out a lot of new things. Being in a new location with a new team lead by new managers had it's not so happy moments, but we are reaping the rewards now.

Cons

Not entirely sure what the parking situation will be like at the new office, but rumor has it that it won't be as good as we have it now.

Advice to Management

Chicago is one of the main reasons the company is doing so well. With the growth we are seeing and the $$$ we pull in, please hook us up with food on Tuesday and Fridays.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for being part of our awesome team in Chicago. You’re right, it’s moving fast and we’ve hired some great folks who will take us to the next level. Appreciate your help!

"Glassdoor is on a roll!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is on a mission to help people find a job and company they love and they’re succeeding! This company is ALIVE and filled with friendly, energetic, and smart people who come to work every day feeling both empowered and accountable. I particularly like that the company models itself around being transparent, since that's what Glassdoor is all about.

Cons

The pace at Glassdoor is frenetic. If you can’t deal with change and a certain amount of unpredictability, this is not the place for you.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for being part of our team and sharing this great review! The friendly, energetic, and smart people are exactly what motivate me come to work every day too. Glad you’re one of them!

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and I could not ask for a better team to work with or to be a part of. When I started, we had a great culture and really embraced the growing start up vibe. On a team level we are there to help each other every step of the way.

Cons

Our comp plan was recently changed to the point where many of us cannot afford to live. We are completely underpaid and under appreciated. Pay us less and expect us to do more? Not really a good way to run a business.

I would not recommend joining the company at this time. They are so focused on becoming public that they have lost their full sense of what Glassdoor is about. We preach transparency but recently we have all been in the dark. Suddenly there is something announced that is a major change. Management says they had no idea, but how can you run a business keeping your managers and directors our of the loop? Sounds a bit fishy.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor spends a ton of time trying to find the right fit, treating us the way you currently are is not going to help keep good employees around or hire the "right fit".

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you took the time to write and I’m sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected. As we examine our comp & quotas to make sure we’re getting this right, what keeps me motivated are the... More

"Great so far, still a lot of progress needed"

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

Happy overall during the time I have spent here (~1 year). We do somethings very well and where we make mistakes, try to correct them.

Cons

I think due to some of these mistakes we have lost some great people, but that's life.

Advice to Management

Continue to learn from our mistakes.