Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is so much flexibility with work/life balance that it makes it easy to come into work in the morning" (in 62 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Over the years there were a lot of growing pains" (in 39 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

"Glassdoor takes cares of its employees and their families!"

Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is long overdue. Since I started with the company, I have felt a strong connection to our values and a deep desire to grow with Glassdoor. Local leadership is approachable and always willing to hear our ideas (and float them upwards when they are good ones!) Growth is possible as long as you continue to put in hard work month after month. Quota is challenging, but achievable, which is the whole point of having a sales quota.

The benefits for working parents are abundant: GREAT maternity leave, with 100% coverage AND commission compensation (this is unheard of!); flexibility with working from home when needed, and a culture of great people who love your children and embrace them as part of the Glassdoor family. The people who work at Glassdoor truly make our company as wonderful as it is. I am excited to come to work and see friends everyday. Glassdoor has some of the best talent in the workforce and it shows. There are TOO many people here to learn from!

I haven't even considered any outside opportunities since I have been here because Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you and your family. THAT, for me, is why I remain loyal to this company and I am looking forward to growing my career here.

Cons

At times, it can feel like SDRs are not as important or valuable to the company. Recently, however, leadership has been giving our SDR team shoutouts and if we continue to do that, it will add to the value we bring to the company. SDRs are usually the first voice or outreach to many companies, so investing in more training can improve sales and ROI over time. Sometimes it can be challenging working directly with teams in Mill Valley as a lot of communication is improved via proximity. We are, however, given plenty of tools to help improve this challenge.

Advice to Management

I think the change in the SDR leadership will be refreshing and an outside voice could be the catalyst into an even more powerful team. I think all teams would benefit from outside professional sales trainings, whether it is a training focused on cold calling, best email practices, or others of that nature. It would be great to see the Mill Valley executive team in the Chicago office more, although I know this is tough with busy schedules!

"Dr. StrangeOps or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Abuse"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Dog friendly office. Free lunch and snacks. The pay is finally starting to get competitive. Most people there are very nice. Most managers have flexible policies around work hours and working from home.

Cons

Something dark lurks within the waters of Glassdoor's Sales Ops team, and it has the team's members fleeing for their careers.

1) The Only Live Culture on the Team is in our Yogurt

In the most recent employee satisfaction survey, the largest word in the word cloud was "toxic". Pressure to perform is sky-high, which is part and parcel of any Sales Operations gig. However, the team's culture has shifted dramatically to reward people who manage up well while undercutting the work and reputation of their peers. People are now hired and valued based their pedigree; Ivy League MBA with Management Consulting is the profile du jour and the only voices truly valued on the team (note: this is not unique to Sales Ops, but proliferates throughout the Operations organization).

Most teams within Sales Ops work in silos and show little interest in understanding work outside of their purview. When collaboration is necessary, tensions inevitably flare. Even team outings are usually segregated by team lines, with the exception of a few open-minded individuals. Rather than encourage cross-pollination, leaders often simply skip the events altogether. We tried a big team-building offsite a couple of months ago. It did not help.

2) I Find Your Lack of Vision Disturbing

Like sand in the desert, our org chart shifts with the winds. By my last count and without exaggeration, we restructured the Sales Ops team no less than 5 times in 2018. Many of those restructures were due to key staff leaving the company (which speaks for itself), but it embodies the lack of a cohesive vision for the team. We almost never talk about team vision, and when we do, there is no follow-through.

Our processes are a mess and everything is manual. There is no documentation because no one has time to document them. We’re told to automate everything, but efforts are poorly scoped by our Sales Tech team and always fall short. Efforts to implement scalable policy are met with extreme resistance from sales leadership. More on that later.

Our Sales Tech Stack is a mess. Salesforce is a disaster, and there are no plans to shore up the foundations there. We are something of an urban legend amongst the CS team at Salesforce, as our implementation is the most cluttered and least efficient that many of them have seen. The result is inefficient process for our sales team and an inability to effect productive change within the environment.
    We've recently taken to cycling in old tools that we've already tried and didn't work. We'll see how that goes.

Our priorities shift more often than our org chart. We frequently enter the week with a frantic email telling us what "the only thing we need to focus on this week" is. OKRs have been out the window for most Sales Ops teams for the last 2 quarters, and when I shake my Magic 8-ball and ask if that will improve, it always says "Reply hazy, try again." Every time.

I have a ticket in with Mattel to troubleshoot.

3) "And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!" - The Grinch

A key part of Sales Operations success lies in its relationship with Sales. Somewhere between trust and shared vision lies a nirvana of effectiveness and efficiency.

Unfortunately, none of that exists at Glassdoor. Our relationship with Sales is incredibly dysfunctional. And, in spite of my criticisms above, the lion’s share of the problem lies with the inexperience of sales leadership.

Glassdoor is a strong believer of promoting leaders from within. However, when that is your only method of hiring leaders, you get the Peter Principle run amok. Simply put, there is not a sales executive at Glassdoor that has been anything other than a frontline manager prior to joining the company. And it shows. The decisions made at that level are short-sighted; primarily for the benefit of individual sales reps and to the detriment of our ability to scale. There is little accountability holding leaders to the commitments and decisions they make. Perfect is the archenemy of good. And we learn everything the hard way.

I have seen instances where our lack of experience on the executive team has left us incapacitated when facing the kind of difficult challenges every company encounters during hyper-growth. Every trial our company faces becomes a crisis where the leaders charged with resolution are only equipped to make very educated guesses on the path forward. Again, this is not limited to sales, but it's especially prevalent there.

Advice to Management

We keep putting people in executive leadership positions who have never owned that function before. That's a key part of developing leaders, but when massive sectors of your company are being run by individuals who have only experienced their current function through case studies, it becomes incredibly self-limiting. Ironically, there are plenty of case studies demonstrating this.

You are hemorrhaging Sales Operations people. There is a root cause. Read the notes from the exit interviews and take them seriously, or you're going to end up with Sales Reps booking their own deals.

Dec 18, 2018 – COO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experience at Glassdoor. Our hope is that all Glassdoor employees feel their experience here is one that reflects... More

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teammates, feel truly able to be myself and "at home" at work. It feels inspiring to know our work makes an impact.

Cons

Changes and rapid growth may lead to some uncertainty, but we have strong leaders at the helm

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Appreciate the transparency and "walking the walk".

"Glassdoor is a wonderful place!"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great things about Glassdoor! Starting with the mission we truly are helping candidates everywhere find jobs the love and giving them the tools they need to make the next step in their career. The people at Glassdoor are wonderful as well, the Chicago office continues to grow it starts to get tough to know everyone by name but we still have monthly new hire breakfasts, bamf and happy hours to help! Everyone is really friendly so if you need help there is always someone willing to take a few minutes out of their day to answer questions. Robert is an amazing CEO and embraces transparency with monthly all-hands answering questions and giving the whole company updates. He is super authentic and down to earth. The managers at Glassdoor are great too and are always pushing for you to succeed and offer feedback and a plan to help get you to where you want to be. At Glassdoor, you feel like you are more than just a number and your opinion is valued. It really is a great place to work!!

Cons

We are always changing the way thing are done and Glassdoor likes to shake things up a lot - not a bad thing you just have to be able to roll with the punches and be adaptable.

"Awesome place to intern!"

Former Employee - Intern in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, great leadership, awesome projects

Cons

none, its a great place to work

"Sales - great place if you are positive, patient, and adaptable"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great People from Peers to Leaders - working here is genuinely fun and the people are awesome! In addition to senior leadership being super personable and humble, I've made some great friends here and am almost always happy to come into work every morning to see my coworkers/friends even though I have the flexibility to work from home! I do not take this for granted as I know what it’s like from past jobs to dread going to work every day.

* Constant Learning Opportunities - there is a lot to learn in Account Management. From formal Franklin Covey Sales Training to tribal knowledge (and a pretty unique knowledge-sharing sales culture) to working with clients in a variety of industries I am constantly sharpening my skills. Even when you know how to do your job there is ample opportunity to get involved cross-functionally, with trainings, interviews, etc and continue learning about business.

* Managers in Growth - tend to be awesome. I’ve worked closely with all of the managers in SMB Growth and have found them to all be incredible people. I've loved both my managers and they have definitely been instrumental in motivating me to stay at Glassdoor through good times and bad!!

* Flexible Schedule/Travel Opportunity - Managers in Growth are understanding about working from home which is amazing. I don’t use it that often but it’s great to feel like I am trusted and treated with respect. I often feel like I truly am the owner of my own business (my book of clients). Working with clients across locations and industries is really fun and we get the opportunity to plan our own travel to in person client meetings which is awesome!

* Mission - easy to get behind. For all the random tech companies to sell for, I might not be saving lives but maybe I’m helping a company hire people who are :)

* Dogs in the office are the best thing ever, definitely make my day every day!

* Office Location - being on the water in Mill Valley is amazing. The reverse commute is easy, it is serene environment and beautiful to get out of the city and have lunch outside every day

* Food - I genuinely appreciate the daily catered lunch, tea/snacks. They have options for every dietary restriction which goes a long way!

Cons

* Culture on the Decline - Our culture has suffered a lot recently, and I'm not sure why or how to fix it. The Fun Committee has pretty much disappeared. Monthly happy hours that used to be a blast have virtually zero attendance. It makes me sad how impersonal/automated company and department wide communications have become.
    * @Sales Leadership: Bluejeans Sales Huddles suck! It was way more fun and motivating when we convened in the cafe. I am guessing these measures have been taken to save time/efficiency but the result is a disjointed community and everyone is multitasking, not actually paying attention to the meetings as we would in person. This also takes away face-time with leadership that we really enjoyed! I also feel this way about the Video Company All Hands - which I’m guessing <50% of the company actually watched. I don’t think I'm the only one who STRONGLY prefers real meetings.

* SMB Growth partnership with CSS on Job Ads is NOT working. We need to allow high-spending job-ads accounts to have CSMs. I want to sell my clients the product that is the right fit to help them succeed, but it is getting to a point where i am fearful to move clients from slots to ads because there is a major risk the campaigns will not launch and will not perform as they are barely managed. When growth reps are measured on MCV and selling POCs we are being set up to fail attainment-wise if the trials we sell do not even launch so we obviously can’t prove performance in a short period. Glassdoor is an amazing product when we launch and when educated CSMs are managing campaigns - please help us help our clients succeed!!

* FY19 Sales Changes are a Bummer - We moved from a Bookings attainment model to Monthly Contract Value (MCV) and it has been a nightmare. Even after finally understanding how it works (far into the fiscal year, and I’m sure some people are still lost), it became apparent how flawed this model is. It is not motivating in the way Bookings was and forecasting is a headache and a half. MCV doesn’t make sense for getting promoted/switching roles or leaving the company because there is no way for reps to get credit in these situations and it's shocking that there was no foresight into this. Leadership tries to spin it as that we should do what is best for the business but at the end of the day that is an unreasonable ask - I am a sales person and am motivated by getting credit for what I sell. Please switch back to bookings in FY20!

* Forecasting Mess - I know this has been mentioned in other reviews. We switched forecasting tools form Clari to Aviso which has been a struggle since Aviso doesn’t work, deals randomly fall out, notes won’t update etc. I spend 2x as long on forecasting as I used to when we used Clari. This tool was supposed to be rolled out to use at the start of FY19 (April) but it is now almost half way through the year and it is still not working. It’s hard to get excited about promises made at SKO when the result is this far off year after year. How does it take this long?

* Onboarding is Not Great - important note if you are considering accepting a job at Glassdoor: our on boarding experience in growth can be a bit of a “find your own way” experience as training is geared towards new business. Luckily, people are generally really nice and happy to help, but it’s not a hand-held easy training experience last time I checked. Be ready to make your own way, start-up style... even though we are not a start-up anymore which is awkward.

* Billing & Sales Ops are both ridiculously understaffed, which has a major negative impact on sales teams. Leadership/HR if you read this - please please hire more billing people!

Advice to Management

I know we as Glassdoor do our best to “walk the talk” of transparency and valuing the employee experience. I am proud to work here and love being a champion for Glassdoor and working with my clients. I would not do anything differently, and hope to continue wanting to stay here for several more years. That said, morale in Growth is pretty low right now and I’m starting to worry I won’t be motivated to get promoted to Enterprise Growth if things don’t change due to the pain they are experiencing (per the recent reviews). I am hopeful that you will listen to my and others' feedback and try to make change. Thank you for reading this!

"Mission-Driven, Impactful & Fun"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I hate to start this off by mimicking the other reviews, the truth is that by far the greatest aspect of working at Glassdoor is the people. Though I worked on the Customer Success team, I became close with members across several other departments, and there really is a sense that everyone is in it together.

The mission of the company to help job seekers find the job that fits their life and to help employers tell their story and hire great talent is central to everything the company does. Yes, there are times when things can be a bit out of sync between departments, the overall vibe is that you're in it together.

I think it goes without saying that the shining light for over a year now has been the VP of Customer Success. I joined Glassdoor's CS team at a time when people were leaving left and right, there was no path for anyone to grow, and you weren't really sure what your priorities and function were. Chris came in and turned the whole org (and frankly the company) on its head and has made everything significantly better. I left a review about a year ago stating that he had stated a goal of making Customer Success THE department that people want to work in; and while I was extremely skeptical of that stretch goal (given the history of the department in the year leading up to then), I am extremely happy to say that I believe he has achieved that goal.

In the CS department, I really felt that he cared about the team's successful, as well as my own personal success. My managers supported and empowered me, and the position of CS within the company became one where CSMs were respected for the work they did and looked up to as experts in a number of areas. Additionally, he addressed a major pain point by elevating salaries to a competitive level for the SF Bay Area. Beyond that, bringing in a fantastic Director of Customer Success up-leveled the work we were able to do. I don't know if it was intentional or a happy accident, but by hiring someone with a complete opposite personality I believe the complement each other beautifully and create a great leadership team for ~50 CSMs.

Had it not been for an amazing opportunity that I couldn't have passed up, I would've surely stayed at Glassdoor.

And lastly, who wouldn't love free parking, free food, fantastic work-life balance, a waterfront location, and dogs E V E R Y W H E R E.

Cons

Keep showing the love to CS and letting the CSMs do their thing.

Really, the only major cons I can think of would be assistance in paying the GGB toll to get to and from the office in Mill Valley and stability in book changes and CSM/AM alignment changes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, and try to find a way to better connect the MV & Chicago CSM teams.

Nov 15, 2018 – VP Customer Success

Dear Glassdoor CS Alum

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review! It's always valuable for us to hear about the experience of working with our team.

It's really great to hear... More

"Highly political environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor provides individuals starting out a great opportunity for learning how to operate at a very high caliber, use data to prove a point and take on challenging work.

Cons

The environment here is highly political. If you’re not having lunch with the right people, going to most social events or making the right friends, it will be difficult to climb the ladder here.

Advice to Management

Crack down on office politics.

Dec 12, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Dear Glassdoor Marketing Alum,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value hearing what's going well and what we can improve upon.

We strive to provide transparency in... More

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sale in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sale in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibile management and a good product to sell make hitting quotas seem attainable!

Cons

As it gets bigger and bigger they are losing a bit of their "startup" feel.

Advice to Management

Please keep your small company, transparent values!