Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

2. "It really is amazing here at Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team - everyone is friendly and collaborative

Bring your dog to work - literally every day

Catered lunch - every day

Beautiful views on the water in Mill Valley

Cons

I struggle to really think of any at the moment.

"Sales - great place if you are positive, patient, and adaptable"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great People from Peers to Leaders - working here is genuinely fun and the people are awesome! In addition to senior leadership being super personable and humble, I've made some great friends here and am almost always happy to come into work every morning to see my coworkers/friends even though I have the flexibility to work from home! I do not take this for granted as I know what it’s like from past jobs to dread going to work every day.

* Constant Learning Opportunities - there is a lot to learn in Account Management. From formal Franklin Covey Sales Training to tribal knowledge (and a pretty unique knowledge-sharing sales culture) to working with clients in a variety of industries I am constantly sharpening my skills. Even when you know how to do your job there is ample opportunity to get involved cross-functionally, with trainings, interviews, etc and continue learning about business.

* Managers in Growth - tend to be awesome. I’ve worked closely with all of the managers in SMB Growth and have found them to all be incredible people. I've loved both my managers and they have definitely been instrumental in motivating me to stay at Glassdoor through good times and bad!!

* Flexible Schedule/Travel Opportunity - Managers in Growth are understanding about working from home which is amazing. I don’t use it that often but it’s great to feel like I am trusted and treated with respect. I often feel like I truly am the owner of my own business (my book of clients). Working with clients across locations and industries is really fun and we get the opportunity to plan our own travel to in person client meetings which is awesome!

* Mission - easy to get behind. For all the random tech companies to sell for, I might not be saving lives but maybe I’m helping a company hire people who are :)

* Dogs in the office are the best thing ever, definitely make my day every day!

* Office Location - being on the water in Mill Valley is amazing. The reverse commute is easy, it is serene environment and beautiful to get out of the city and have lunch outside every day

* Food - I genuinely appreciate the daily catered lunch, tea/snacks. They have options for every dietary restriction which goes a long way!

Cons

* Culture on the Decline - Our culture has suffered a lot recently, and I'm not sure why or how to fix it. The Fun Committee has pretty much disappeared. Monthly happy hours that used to be a blast have virtually zero attendance. It makes me sad how impersonal/automated company and department wide communications have become.
    * @Sales Leadership: Bluejeans Sales Huddles suck! It was way more fun and motivating when we convened in the cafe. I am guessing these measures have been taken to save time/efficiency but the result is a disjointed community and everyone is multitasking, not actually paying attention to the meetings as we would in person. This also takes away face-time with leadership that we really enjoyed! I also feel this way about the Video Company All Hands - which I’m guessing <50% of the company actually watched. I don’t think I'm the only one who STRONGLY prefers real meetings.

* SMB Growth partnership with CSS on Job Ads is NOT working. We need to allow high-spending job-ads accounts to have CSMs. I want to sell my clients the product that is the right fit to help them succeed, but it is getting to a point where i am fearful to move clients from slots to ads because there is a major risk the campaigns will not launch and will not perform as they are barely managed. When growth reps are measured on MCV and selling POCs we are being set up to fail attainment-wise if the trials we sell do not even launch so we obviously can’t prove performance in a short period. Glassdoor is an amazing product when we launch and when educated CSMs are managing campaigns - please help us help our clients succeed!!

* FY19 Sales Changes are a Bummer - We moved from a Bookings attainment model to Monthly Contract Value (MCV) and it has been a nightmare. Even after finally understanding how it works (far into the fiscal year, and I’m sure some people are still lost), it became apparent how flawed this model is. It is not motivating in the way Bookings was and forecasting is a headache and a half. MCV doesn’t make sense for getting promoted/switching roles or leaving the company because there is no way for reps to get credit in these situations and it's shocking that there was no foresight into this. Leadership tries to spin it as that we should do what is best for the business but at the end of the day that is an unreasonable ask - I am a sales person and am motivated by getting credit for what I sell. Please switch back to bookings in FY20!

* Forecasting Mess - I know this has been mentioned in other reviews. We switched forecasting tools form Clari to Aviso which has been a struggle since Aviso doesn’t work, deals randomly fall out, notes won’t update etc. I spend 2x as long on forecasting as I used to when we used Clari. This tool was supposed to be rolled out to use at the start of FY19 (April) but it is now almost half way through the year and it is still not working. It’s hard to get excited about promises made at SKO when the result is this far off year after year. How does it take this long?

* Onboarding is Not Great - important note if you are considering accepting a job at Glassdoor: our on boarding experience in growth can be a bit of a “find your own way” experience as training is geared towards new business. Luckily, people are generally really nice and happy to help, but it’s not a hand-held easy training experience last time I checked. Be ready to make your own way, start-up style... even though we are not a start-up anymore which is awkward.

* Billing & Sales Ops are both ridiculously understaffed, which has a major negative impact on sales teams. Leadership/HR if you read this - please please hire more billing people!

Advice to Management

I know we as Glassdoor do our best to “walk the talk” of transparency and valuing the employee experience. I am proud to work here and love being a champion for Glassdoor and working with my clients. I would not do anything differently, and hope to continue wanting to stay here for several more years. That said, morale in Growth is pretty low right now and I’m starting to worry I won’t be motivated to get promoted to Enterprise Growth if things don’t change due to the pain they are experiencing (per the recent reviews). I am hopeful that you will listen to my and others' feedback and try to make change. Thank you for reading this!

"Growth team, left out to dry."

Current Employee - Enterprise Growth in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Growth in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is an impactful tool for a job seeker, and knowing we promote this for employers to embrace is an amazing feeling. We've brought transparency to an industry that needed it and we do it in the most fair way we possibly can. Investing millions of dollars into Content moderation and never deleting reviews because we are "asked."

The people I work with are smart, gritty, and hardworking. We work long hours, we’re often frustrated, but we have fun. Our managers are strong, our director is fearless.

Yes, hours can be really long at times, however we have transitioned in our CS partners to help with some of account management and while not perfect, it's been helpful.

Cons

If you're a candidate interviewing for the ENT AM role, I would not recommend it.

Business decisions have been made in favor of our new biz and strat teams for years now.

The new comp plan has major problems. Reps hitting quarterly quotas is no longer depictive of sales skill, hustle, and “trusting the process”. Opportunity in rep books is wildly different. The journey of FY2019 is enormously more challenging for some than others.

There was a day when we had sub accounts, when new biz had one chance to sell and then had to pass over accounts. A day when an account that wasn’t truly an enterprise business would be passed down. When our best accounts were kept in our book. All of this has changed because it’s “good for the business” but it’s really been us passing opportunity to other groups of the org.

While the comp plans OTE may look identical between the ENT AM vs. AE role, it was quickly proven in Q1 that AEs have the opportunity to make over 200% their quarterly number and bring in an enormous amount of money, crazy amount. THIS WILL NEVER BE POSSIBLE FOR AN AM REP BASED ON OUR COMP PLAN DESIGN. The amount of anger this brings me as an oversight from our leadership can not be expressed thoroughly via a gd review. Shame on you.

If leadership believes the group carrying the largest quotas should not have the same opportunity to blow it out of the park, it's on us to decide if we want to work at this company.

Advice to Management

The result of the above is jaded reps who lost their sparkle and are updating their resumes. It makes me sad, and I hope it concerns our leaders. Frustration is at an all time high. These reps carry the largest quotas in the entire sales org. It feels like glassdoor is asking us all to leave, are you?

It can’t be understated, growth is complex. But you've failed to bring in a VP who can navigate this. And since you've never been able to figure it out, you've allowed problems to escalate, products to break, a really talented manager to leave, and labeled reps that speak out as complainers. They aren't complaining, they're asking to sell reliable products with credible data and have equal opportunity to hit accelerators as peers.

Growth should have demanded new products years ago.

What I can’t understand is that retaining and growing clients is the future of our business. But products continue to break, the client experience is average, no new products come out, and AM work is undervalued.

Let me be clear, this is not an attack on our new biz folks. They're talented, smart, and hard working. They turn non-glassdoor believers into champions, that's powerful.

This review is an attempt to use glassdoor for its purpose. Bring transparency to a job seeker and provide feedback to our CEO and COO. This ship will sink if we don't find a solution to the above.

5. "Incredible Sales Team!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Strong mission
    - Great benefits and perks
    - Opportunity to sell an amazing product
    - Great people all around, management truly supports you
    - Fast paced environment with aggressive/attainable quotas
    - The CEO Robert Hohman really cares about his employees, also he plays WoW (Robert can I play with you?)

Cons

- Chicago office needs to allow dogs on-site (maybe every Friday?), the California office allows dogs. Huge con for dog lovers.

Advice to Management

Please continue to preach transparency across all levels of the organization. You do an amazing job listening to your employees and implementing feedback quickly.

As Glassdoor continues to grow, do not let the culture or values fade. Keep quotas attainable to keep morale high. Thanks for all that you do!

"If You Build It, We Will Sell It, and They Will Buy It"

Current Employee - Enterprise II in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise II in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Mission is amazing, To Help People Everywhere Find a Job and Company they Love.
    Good Salary and Commission
    Great Benefits
    Great Team Members
    Great Office
    Dogs!

Cons

I've Sold the same products for 5 years
    We Need something new to sell
    Our internal feedback goes to a layered system of management that never makes it s way outside of Sales.
    We forecast to forecast the forecast before forecasting that previous forecast.

Advice to Management

Vision : From my stand point Sales needs to demand a new product. If we do not get something new to sell that is not a failure of the product team as I believe they are truly looking at the 3-5 year strategy, that is a failure of the Sales Organization to not influence the decisions of what we need to be successful on the Enterprise tier in the near term. Thats not just on Enterrprise sales leadership, but Enterprise sales reps too. We need to be in alignment.

Day to Day : Our sales leaders forecast too much. You can only look at an excel doc so much, why cant we hire an analyst to focus on forecasting and task Sales with more responsibilty to "lead and succeed". We do not need our SVP, our VP, our Director AND our Manager rolling up forecasts 4 times a month... because at the end of the month, and end of quarter we then get a SVP quarter in review, an Enterprise quarter in review, and a director quarter in review...

You have solid sales people, don't be afraid to fail, take a risk, and watch how much of it we sell.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts. It’s great to hear that the mission and people at Glassdoor are at the center of your positive experience, and all the work we... More

"Transition from Sale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- renewed focus on the product
    - company is looking at growth and expanding to international markets
    - culture is easy to work with and they hire good people

Cons

- very little documented process which makes it difficult to know what you are empowered to do and leads to some power struggles
    - PM team is inexperienced and focuses on small projects and nobody is looking at larger changes
    - Seems afraid to tackle changes to existing site because if might mess up some metrics.

Advice to Management

You need to break some stuff to make it better. There is a lot of tech and design debt in the site with a lot of small things that are broken. There is nobody paying attention to how everything works together and engagement is suffering because of it. Keep hiring good people but let them tackle fundamental product change rather than optimizing things that are broken.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Architect in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO remembers my name! Executives say hi in the hallway! C-Levels listen and put constructive feedback into action plans to enhance company function. Everyone works hard and with a high level of respect for each other. Beautiful work environment, daily delicious lunch, many team bonding events, and dog-friendly environment.

Cons

Nothing bad to share thus far...

Advice to Management

Robert, our CEO, is awesome!

9. "Slow and Steady"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has come a long way in developing a culture where design has an equal part in high-level decisions. They're also developing a legitimate UX team that will help fully support these decisions. The Director of UX played a big part of this by taking a small but very talented team, and helped to not only strengthen the team as a unit, but created a productive cadence and encouraged everyone to communicate the value of design to every stakeholder.
    The knowledge and support I received from higher level designers was invaluable, and something I will bring with me and share with others.

Cons

The biggest frustration for me, was the lack of strategy and focus at the top level. This made it difficult for me as a decent UX designer to fully understand the main user goal for any product i was working on, as the scope of the project changed dramatically throughout its lifecycle.

"Keeps Getting Better"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being on the CS team at Glassdoor. We've been through a lot of changes in the last 12-14 months, but it finally feels like we're getting into a groove. Our fearless leader has worked hard to make CS a great place to work throughout the company. He sets clear goals and executes. End of story.

The partnership with Sales in particular has drastically improved in the past few months. It truly feels like we're on one team now and we feel more love and respect from our counterparts there.

Cons

Reporting for our KPIs is very behind. Leadership knows this and is working on it, but it still feels like the bar is set without giving us the tools & reporting to get there. Hard to feel like you're set up for success this way.

Advice to Management

Invest more resources in the CS Operations Team so we can deliver against deadlines.

Aug 13, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Glassdoor CSM

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your feedback. This literally made my day.

As you know, we've set an aspiration to be a place where people truly love... More