Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything I would consider a con would fall under the "growing pains" category (in 30 reviews)

• you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market (in 19 reviews)

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

"Workplaces don't get much better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

-Rewarding, interesting, exciting work
    -Great emphasis on work-life balance
    -Excellent benefits (free lunch, exercise classes, commuter benefits, paid-for insurance premium, flexible PTO)
    -Exciting time to be at the company — we're in early enough to have a lot of impact, but late enough that we're over a lot of the instability that early stage startups have
    -The company's doing very well at the moment
    -Kind and interesting coworkers. I've been in some cliquey workplaces before, and this is a refreshing break
    -Twice annual performance bonuses
    -Good managers and leadership
    -Most people here really believe in the mission
    -Lots of flexibility when it comes to working from home

Cons

-The commute. I reeeeally wish the office was in SF, not Marin
    -Work life balance is good overall, but there are moments where it really flares up (but that's largely because my team has roles that need to be filled)
    -Pay is pretty competitive for my role, although I know others don't feel the same (a lot of people in STEM roles and sales, I believe)

Advice to Management

-Consider opening an SF branch

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing and we’re glad you’re part of the team! Right now our SF office is small but mighty, and currently only houses a small number of data and engineering folks. As we grow, there’s ... More

"Not too big or too small, Glassdoor is just right!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is still really young - only 8 years old, and much of the growth has happened in the last 2 years. That means that it's easy to make your mark if you've got ideas and experience.

The people are smart and friendly. It took me no time at all to build a network here. People are very open to the new programs and changes my team has implemented.

Cons

The location (Mill Valley) is lovely but there are no public transit options... so my commute is not great. Start and end times are super flexible though, so I just tend to come in early and leave early while others come in late and leave late.

There is a negative vibe in some corners of the company. My take on this is that some people are not faring as well with all the change and feel left behind.

Advice to Management

Make it possible/acceptable for more people to work in SF, at least a few days a week.

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to see feedback like this come in from a member of my own team. As you know, we work hard to make sure people feel like they can really make a difference here, it’s great to know they do ... More

"Good environment for work, could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great knowledgeable engineers to work with
    - Good for career growth
    - Good work/life balance
    - Great recreational activities

Cons

- Getting kudos from leads is very difficult
    - Getting approval of doing something new/different takes a huge effort
    - Moving across teams is difficult

May 20, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I agree, the engineers here really are great and they’re some of the most knowledgeable I’ve ever worked with. I can do a better job of saying that more often, and encouraging our leaders to do the ... More

"Fun, engaging, challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are given the opportunity to do great work with as much or as little supervision or guidance as you need. Transparency is high and it really feels like you are being encouraged and empowered to make an impact. It is an exciting time to be at this company, we are having fun and getting things done!

Cons

We have a lot to do and there is a lot of necessary change happening, does not work for everyone. Some team members are wedded to the past and finding it hard to move on and look at things differently.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the change and keep listening!

"Couldn't Ask For A Better Fit"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You’ll see this in every review that you read, but the people are what make Glassdoor such a special place. From the moment I set foot through these doors, I was welcomed with open arms. From my manager, whom I would literally follow into a burning building, to my teammates, who are more like my siblings than coworkers. Not to mention all of our amazing teams outside of sales who are often the unsung heroes. Everyone wants to lend a helping hand to get you where you need to be personally and professionally.

As I mentioned before, my direct manager is a big part of the reason why I am so happy here. Without him I know I would not be where I am today. And that’s true for our whole leadership team. They genuinely want me to be successful here and will do whatever they can to make that happen.

The last thing I’ll say is that working on the other side of the bridge is pretty great too. When things get a little overwhelming, being able to go outside and walk it out on the bike path overlooking the Bay and Mt. Tam, really help to reset and get back on track.

Honestly, it’s hard to put into words, but most times it’s just awesome to be a part of this company.

Cons

I won’t lie: it’s hard, and some days are harder than others. There’s no getting around putting in the work here. That said, my biggest challenge is the amount of factors that are outside of our control and how that can impact one’s success: where a company is located, how many open jobs they might have compared to the year prior, content issues, a client’s performance, Customer Success, internal processes, etc. These are all challenges we face when trying to hit our quota and it can be very defeating and frustrating. It can sometimes feel like some people are better set up for success than others based on their book of business or their support team.

You’ll likely read some reviews that talk about how our company’s culture is gone. I wouldn’t say that it’s gone, it’s just different. I don’t think we ever lost that Glassdoor family feel, but when you go from personally seeing success over and over to suddenly not, sometimes sending out a few more emails, or leaving one more voicemail becomes more important than a dress up day or monthly award ceremony. Participation is lacking but only because there is a lot of “catch up” to hit numbers. It isn’t just one person who makes a company’s culture, but rather the collective whole, and this past year was rough on the collective whole.

You’ll also read some reviews about compensation. Living in the most expensive city is not easy. And yes, I would like to get paid more so that maybe one day I can buy a house and maybe even start a family. For now, the office environment and the people are what make the discrepancy in comp bearable, but I do worry that at some point the allure of all that will not shine as bright as it does now.

Advice to Management

I know we are working, and making changes to become a grown-up company (don’t get me wrong, fixes to our internal processes cannot come soon enough), but can we just make sure we find a way to become that well-established company without totally sacrificing that youthful spirit that made people want to come to work and stay here in the first place? If it’s the people that make this place great, let’s continue to listen to them, take care of them and value them.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

I totally agree, it’s the people who make this place incredible, and I’m so grateful for our culture and the team we have in place. I also agree that it has evolved and with that evolution comes new ... More

"Business Development Associate"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, good work-life balance, beautiful office. Overall a good experience and free catered lunch is a huge bonus.

Cons

Compensation is not great compared to others in the tech industry. Benefits are strong, but base pay seems to be fairly low for the Mill Valley/SF area.

"I have never felt so on top of my game"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Pros

I have never felt so on top of my game in my life as I do working for Glassdoor. Pros:
    - Fast internal growth opportunities
    - Level and responsibility isn't age dependent
    - Culture that embraces fail, but fail fast, pivot and learn (critical for a tech company)
    - Perks (free breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner, Budget for team building events like Giants Games or Glassdoor Olympics, nice onsite gym and free fitness classes before, during, and after work, 4 beers and kambucha on tap, and kayaks/bikes available to check out, communiter benefits, fantastic 100% contribution to healthcare, decent bonus structure)
    - Though Leader in employer branding and reducing the gender pay gap
    - Lots of focus on employee health, physically and mentally
    - Great to feel absense of ownership in the organization and a critical driver to its success

Cons

Glassdoor does have some downsides:
    - It might have a few years under its belt, but it operates very much like a start-up. The downside to that is that it lacks a lot of processes that other organizations of the same size have in place. It is a positive thing, though, if you want to have input in building processes for your team.
    - Some legacy decisions solved for more short term solutions than for long term ones, resulting in some additional re-work now so we can better scale for the future
    - Internal politics are at every company, and Glassdoor is no different. No worse than your average company, but I had hoped a company this young would have less of that
    - Run lead with large ambitions. I have never worked longer than my standard hours in my 10+ years of experience. I feel so many of us have such high objectives with less than necessary resources that so many of us are working 10+ hour workdays.
    - Hesitation to change previous decisions even if necessary to keep up with the times.

Advice to Management

- Keep up our own Glassdoor Employer Brand. Can't wait to watch it grow.
    - Invest more resources and engineering to your business generating components. Use these resources to update legacy decisions and infrastructure, so we can continue to grow as efficiently as possible.
    - We need to strategically invest more in modifying UX| UI to be more in line with best practices by competitors and best-in-class online organizations.

Nov 21, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your perspective. I agree with just about everything here including continued investment in engineering and UX/UI. It's an incredible team. And, there is still a lot of work to do together. ... More

"Best Job I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Associate Social Media Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Social Media Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will work with some of the smartest, most genuine people ever at Glassdoor. People care, and it shows. Glassdoor is like a family, on the DemandGen team in particular. Everyone is friends and hangs out after work. We celebrate the wins (and handle the failures) together - you will never be alone here.
    - Team happy hours are plentiful, the company takes time to celebrate with picnics, holiday parties and milestones. You’ll feel recognized and appreciated with all of the emails teams send around to each other praising each other, BAMF celebrations on the sales floor and how much people are genuinely looking out for each other.
    - People here are scrappy. They will drop what they’re doing to help you out. Great people are hard to come by, but Glassdoor truly has a lot of them.
    - Amazing benefits - Unlimited PTO (that people actually use), 100% covered health care, fully stocked kitchens and free lunch every day, dogs in the office, 401(k), etc.
    - Our Mill Valley HQ is beautiful, right on the water, has tons of walking paths around the buildings and it’s so nice getting out of the city each day and driving over the bridge to come to work.
    - We’re building something great, and you can feel that the people here truly believe in what we’re working towards and ultimately believe Glassdoor helps people find jobs and companies they love. It feels good coming to work every day knowing that you’re making an impact.
    - Your career will skyrocket here. Young employees are given a lot of responsibility and held to high standards, but if you rise to the occasion, you are definitely rewarded and promoted. This is the best place to start your career, and I'm beyond grateful for the opportunities this company has given me in the past 2+ years.

Cons

- Work/life balance is a thing, for some people in some departments. But in others, you’re praised for working well into the night, being online on weekends or working on vacations. It’s not healthy, people are burning out, and we need managers to insist people have a work/life balance again. I’ve seen many people just on my immediate team have to take emergency vacations or days off because they’re so physically and emotionally stressed and drained, and it’s definitely concerning.
    - Morale is low right now. Companies go through ebbs and flows, and this is definitely a hard time across the company in terms of turnover and morale. But, as long as people stay calm and believe in this company (and stick through it) I believe it can (and will) turn around.
    - Lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

Get back to what the core of Glassdoor is, and don’t lose sight of what makes us great. Practice what we preach - ultimate transparency, even when it’s tough. How you handle these tough times says a lot, both to current employees and job seekers we’re looking to attract. The spotlight is on you, so make sure you’re doing everything in your power to communicate with employees, listen to them, and ensure their feedback is heard.

Sep 6, 2016 – Sr. Director of Marketing

Thank you so much for this review. I feel very lucky to work at Glassdoor for all the reasons you have outlined and I’m happy you feel that Glassdoor and our team are like family. I know that this ... More

"Great opportunity in general, but it never felt like the right fit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of good that came out of working at GD. There was a strong culture that was clearly defined. Employees were treated extremely fairly, as you'd expect from a company that prides itself on transparency.

I really liked the head of my department and my immediate manager. They each took the time to understand me as a person and shape the relationship to get the most out of me. Both of them were extremely good at what they did and enabled me to shape my path the way I wanted to. I got to work on a lot of great work and I will always think fondly of the actually core of what I did at GD. Because of my experience at GD, I've gained valuable tools that I will use for the rest of my career.

Cons

The whole time I worked at Glassdoor, it felt like I was in Pleasantville and things never felt exactly 'right'. The culture is strong and clearly defined, which is great if it aligns with you. The team is very so homogeneous, that I felt like I was on the outside looking in the whole time. The culture dominated by Tech/Sales Bros, Girls who like dogs/yoga, and lack of ethnic/cultural diversity really turned me off the whole time. The diversity is so poor that I couldn't help but feel like I stuck out like a sore thumb, which made it hard to last longer than I did at GD.

Theres a lot of disconnect between the motivations of the teams and I felt that it added friction to every interaction I had. Whether it be product, sales, engineering, marketing, PR, everyone had their disparate goals and it created mini conflicts all the time. I think in order for GD to thrive, the goals need to converge and teams need to compliment each other rather than fight for resources.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the mission. I think you're on the right path and you'll work out the growing pains that have occurred in the last year. I think GD is a great place to work, it just didn't work out for me. Take time to think about what you can do to include a fun place to work for all types of people.

Aug 19, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Building a culture that welcomes and celebrates differences across the board is key to a healthy organization. This is something our leadership team is very aware of and driving toward. I'd welcome ... More