Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains: We're trying to grow up as a company (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I found my dream job helping others find theirs"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a great place for career growth, making friends, and experiencing new foods. I love our dog friendly office. It's so fun! We're also right beside the ocean which is just beautiful. One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance. Unlimited PTO allows me to take sick days without stress and the freedom to work my own hours lets me schedule my day how I like it. We also have a personal trainer on-site 3 days a week. I'm obsessed with her class. But my favorite part about working for Glassdoor is I enjoy showing up to work every day. Although I have the option to work from home some days if I like (I have a long commute), I love coming to the office because my co-workers are my friends. We also have standing desks: major plus. I love you Glassdoor!

Cons

I make below market pay, but for me, a job is SO MUCH MORE THAN SALARY. I love my job which is worth more than any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I still make good money, I just could be making even more. Glassdoor pays decent :)

Advice to Management

I can't speak for other people so I don't have much to say. I really like the management style. The freedom I'm given means everything to me and I feel it makes me better at my job.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you're finding your experience so rewarding that you used "dream job" in your title. You can't imagine how proud that makes me. I am delighted you are part of the... More

2. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.

"Finally, A Company That Feels Like Home"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 15 years in my career, I've finally found a company that truly fits 96% if not more of my needs, wants and desires. It is the perfect place for me in my life right now, professionally and personally. I used to think that a job could only be but so good -- that it could only satisfy two of the three major requirements (pay, people and project). My husband says that he learned in business school that you will, in fact, only ever get two of the three. However, I have found all three at Glassdoor. A great salary, funny/hard-working people and a project or work product that challenges me every day and gives me the autonomy I've been looking for.

It's a senior start-up, as I like to say. Glassdoor has the nimbleness of a start-up with none of the uncertainty. It has the professional polish of a large company without the politics or bureaucracy. It's a great place for those who know what they want and have the drive, passion and mid-career experience to make it happen.

Cons

As a member of the marketing organization, I don't experience many of the downsides that others might. Overall it's a very strong organization. However, to provide balance, here are the areas that need improvement:
    -Clear focus on business objectives and resources. While there is so much to do with the product and in the space, Glassdoor is only 750 people. Prioritization is key. To do everything we want to do, we'll have to either focus on the 80-20 rule more, or hire more people.

-Location. I love working on the waterfront, but the commute is hard for 85% of the company in Mill Valley. A larger SF office with opportunities to work from there would be great not only for current staff but for our recruitment and retention efforts.

-People of Color. No need to beat around the bush, I'm not talking about "diversity." I'm referring to actual people of color in our ranks. We need more. We have diversity of thought, gender, socio-economic status, etc. However, Glassdoor truly struggles with hiring and retaining people of color. It's no longer okay to say that we're not as big as our contemporaries and, therefore, cannot put the emphasis on hiring people of color. It's imperative to our innovation and growth that we invest in racially diverse communities.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start-up enthusiasm in the people, great technology stack, agile, laid-back work culture, appreciates your talent very well.

Cons

Not many cons except office is still small, and there are not enough meeting room on the site. No food catering for SF office, but it works well so you get to try all different restaurants next door in downtown.

Jul 13, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for being part of the team that created the SF office. I hear you on the conference rooms. We'll look at that as we explore growing the people there.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Content and Community Associate in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Content and Community Associate in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, working at Glassdoor has been great. I've only been here a few months, but I already know it's the best place I've ever worked. The benefits, the people, the culture and atmosphere are all stellar. The work is challenging in a good way and there's a lot to learn. There are many growing opportunities within the company as well, as the company continues to expand. Even though it's a growing company, importance is placed on keeping a tight knit feel with team huddles involving all offices, good communication, and visits from members of other offices and teams. At a local level, teams are also extremely close and there are many fun bonding opportunities presented both in and outside of the office. Everyone is willing to help each other at work, and there is a laid back atmosphere. Managers and HR are always available to talk or answer questions. Co-workers and management actually care about getting to know you. "Good morning" and "Have a goodnight" are phrases that you will hear everyday. Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance. It's a dog friendly office, which puts a smile on everyones' faces. Free drinks and snacks are available in the kitchen, bagel Mondays and donut Wednesdays, and free fitness classes during the day. Work laptop provided, your choice of mac or pc. Excellent health insurance, dental, vision, FSA, 401k, paid holidays, and PTO. You keep track of your own time. There are free courses for professional and personal development available for those who are interested. Overall, Glassdoor is a great place to work. We put in hard work, but we have a good time doing it.

Cons

Training is a lengthy process, but this is necessary because there is a lot to learn. It can also be an adjustment if you are used to working a more physical job, as you spend most of your day on the computer. Multiple areas are provided for you to work though, so you can move around. You can even work outside if you want!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to listen to employees and what they want/need to succeed. Keep the lines of communication open, as this is something that you do very well.

Jul 18, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are thrilled you have joined us and are really happy to hear that you are enjoying your new career at Glassdoor. Our Content & Community Team is one of the... More

"Amazing team and great engineering culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering talent, always willing to help and easy to collaborate with
    - Smart and hard working people all around
    - Onsite lunches everyday, beautiful office location if you're in the north bay or SF

Cons

- Commute can be expensive if you're living in the city especially GG bridge toll i.e. 6.5$ everyday, company should really reimburse this for the folks who come from SF

"Growing, Exciting Things To Come"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In sales, there are always challenges and GD is not immune. But they seem to be open to feedback and willing to listen. The org isn't too huge so you don't feel like you're just a number.

Cons

Not as many perks as some of the bigger companies in the Chicago area but that's going to change with the new building opening in the fall, I think.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and adapt. Pay attention to your competition and don't let people walk over petty reasons.

"From Intern to Full-Time Employee!"

Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I interned with Glassdoor during my junior and senior year of college, and I can say for certain that the internship set me up for success in school the next year as well as my first job post-graduation (before returning to GD for more).
    - The people, culture, career opportunities, managers and clear company vision motivate me to fully dive into the work I'm doing every day. I no longer dread Monday mornings!
    - My managers trust and empower me to continue learning and take on new tasks to help build my skills. I know that my experience at Glassdoor will help further my career in the long run.
    - I truly believe in the mission to help everyone everywhere find a job and company they love. Plus, most people and media I talk to love Glassdoor (almost) as much as I do, and that always gives me a boost of brand pride.
    - Great benefits and pay: Dogs in the office, free (healthy) catered lunch everyday, cover phone bill, free parking (which is a big deal in the Bay Area), onsite gym, community events (gotta love lip sync karaoke for Pride), unlimited PTO, etc.

Cons

- While I love Marin County, it's a pain to pay bridge toll every day. Would be nice to have a benefit to help cover the cost.
    - The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley. The second is shared with several other businesses and doesn't feel as much like Glassdoor as the first building.

"Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a ton of pros! I've been at Glassdoor for just around 2 months and it's been one of the best experiences I've had as a recruiter!
    The company is exciting and where we are going as a company is what gets me up in the morning! Very excited to be here!

Cons

None, I have been here about 2 months and haven't bumped into anything as far as Cons

"2 years in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best place I've worked at in my career to date. Incredible culture. Leaders drive hard but lead with compassion. People care about the mission and the success of the company and want to do what is right. And my team are some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Nothing really. We're still an early stage company and figuring stuff out. We're doing well but have a long road ahead of us to achieve our ultimate ambition of being the world's largest jobs site.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication of what's going on in the company.