Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting Times, Great People"

Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 years later and I still feel so lucky to work here! My HR (People) leadership team supports me and constantly pushes me to grow. My goals and the goals of my teammates are clear, and we are encouraged to help each other and teach each other along the way. My opportunities feel endless here, there is always something new and exciting to work on around the corner. The benefits are extremely generous: free healthcare for employees, catered lunch every day, an onsite gym and locker rooms, Chariot to take you over the Golden Gate Bridge, and the best view of the Bay right outside your desk window.

Cons

The only constant here is change. If you can't roll with the punches and adapt to new processes, leadership, opportunities or whatever it may be, you might not enjoy the environment here. With that said, these changes teach us to be resilient and adaptable - both invaluable traits to learn in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us like you already are. The surveys, the Huddles (all company meetings), and the constant communication from Robert all help to make us feel like we are in this together.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Glassdoor. Our people team works tirelessly to make sure everyone has the best experience here and I’m glad that’s ringing true... More

"On the cusp of greatness...but don’t expect it to be handed to you. Work hard for it."

Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Depending on the role you have at Glassdoor, you can own, market, sell or develop a product which is not only highly influential but one that everyone wants to talk to you about. Pretty cool right? How often do you get to say you’re working for a business which is truly disrupting an industry? Well, Glassdoor is. And, at the very least, a job here will mean you immediately become an attractive candidate to all sorts of companies, from small start-ups right through to larger established businesses looking for someone with experience in a top-tier US-based tech company.

After more than two years, I remain as committed as ever to the business because as well as always trying to be a loyal employee, I also believe and understand the mission. That’s of utmost importance. If you don’t believe in the mission here (or are not a good fit), you won’t last very long. This company is extremely agile and can make quick decisions if they notice something isn’t quite right. I like that.

Personally, I work with an exceptional bunch of individuals from my senior leaders based in our San Francisco HQ to my colleagues and friends here in the London office. Our CEO is seriously impressive, authentic and transparent, will give you face time if needed and makes an effort to get to know you. In my experience, the same can also be said for our senior leaders who now come to London/Dublin on a quarterly basis.

Perform (or try new things) and you’ll be handsomely rewarded. Hide and you’ll get found out.

Cons

We’ve spoken and Glassdoor has listened. Both London and Dublin office spaces are being upgraded and the benefits structure is being looked at across both European teams to fit the needs of most. I think HR/senior leaders will be the first to admit that they dropped the ball in terms of setting up a competitive EMEA benefits package when we launched a few years ago, but it’s great that we’ve all had frank and open conversations about putting this right. This was a major con, but slowly we’re getting there.

In terms of benefits, perks and office spaces, we are still some way off the likes of Facebook, LinkedIn, Expedia, AirBnB, Uber et al. And that’s okay, because we are just not there yet as a business. But, if that’s what you’re after/expecting, simply don’t apply and come back in five years. Our founders also started Expedia, so they know what they need to do to get to that level.

Advice to Management

The positive shift in terms of PR, sales performance and general sentiment for Glassdoor across the UK, in particular, is palpable. Continue to grow certain teams in Europe and give us the tools we need to support monetisation of the business. We want to help make Glassdoor the most high-profile and successful job site across EMEA.

3. "Great Team Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with a team that pulls for everyone's success.

Cons

The on-boarding process could be a little more streamlined.

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
    I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

"Rudderless - Avoid at all cost!"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-When in Mill Valley, the lunches were sometimes good and the Coke machine usually had ice

Cons

-Culture of blame
    -No vision or real leadership from senior management
    -Very "junior" sales org from top-down with little outside experience and not much thought leadership
    -Very negative, toxic culture
    -Total inability to make the transition from revenue to margin
    -Very dishonest culture. Lying is encouraged here.
    -Layoffs/RIFs fairly common (Leadership is very reactionary with zero discipline to stay the course)
    -Watched a senior level person be recruited from a top-tier organization with 10+ years of tenure (hired to work remote) only to be told 4-weeks later that the organization would no longer support remote (that was the official excuse given, and printed on paperwork filed with the state of CA, however I was advised by someone who was actually IN the meeting with the CEO the day before that the cut was made purely for budget reasons - don't believe the corporate values - they are wall decorations)

Advice to Management

CEO - Stop standing-up in meetings dropping F-Bombs like a 6th grader with a head injury.

Oct 10, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Hi - I really am sorry that Glassdoor wasn't a fit for you. Being remote is very challenging, and in your case, the position really needed to be in one of our large sales offices.

We're proud of... More

"Ent 2 Growth - Need more growth focus but getting better overall"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people

The vision and a belief in the mission

The product roadmap

The benefits, especially for family defendants

Amazing CEO

Cons

Lots of meetings

Sometimes feel like a customer service rep

Company feels like it's Customer tolerant vs customer advocate when dealing with internal issues - sounds like we are changing this though!

Csm and am roles have never made sense in the 4 years I've been here, but hoping this improves with the changes going on

Pay is very cyclical, some are struggling due to annual bonuses basically vs quarterly given the nature of when our business renews.

Advice to Management

Robert/Kate: I challenge you to consider the lack of thought diversity on the sales leadership team regarding growth vs new business.

My anonymous advice is that we need a VP of enterprise growth who oversees ent 1 and ent 2 growth. I would personally be more motivated tomorrow with a growth focused VP at the top of my org chart.

(We wouldn't need to look far as we have an amazing leader of ent 2 growth who would make a really good fit. I would run through walls for her)

"Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating. I felt at home as soon as I joined and I feel like there are so many opportunities to grow within the company. I am excited to see what the company does within the next few years.

Cons

The commute is sometimes tough but it makes it worth it when you love where you work.

"Drained and Confused"

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- straightforward product to sell
    - notoriety with job seekers gives us a chance to sell against LinkedIn and Indeed
    - hardworking individual contributors who can be friends outside of the office if that is your style
    - Great office locations nationally and internationally (SF, Chicago, London, Dublin, Ohio)
    - Admirable senior leadership team that will offer mentorship, guidance and encouragement when you ask for it

Cons

- Politics: favoritism is rampant and cadres closest with upper management gets the first look at promotions
    - Profitability: seems to be an issue because we are cutting back on employee perks
    - Accountability: Managers are stretched thin but when they make almost 200k and when you do the office work they ask from you, you expect them to do at least the things they say they will do
    - Patronizing: clap twice if you agree with me

Advice to Management

Robert. You missed a good opportunity to be a real person today with your Chicago office. Delivering that news is a difficult task but you hid behind a subordinate yet again.

Please apologize to the new hires who now feel duped. Employees that have been here a while unfortunately are not shocked. We feel embarrassed and disappointed.

Rich Barton would say "swing big". We seem to keep swinging and missing.

"What is my purpose?"

Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are cool, benefits are good. pay isn't that good but my job isn't either, so I guess it's what I expect.

Cons

I'm a CSM, and I keep wondering: what is my job? There's overlap, we're told, between us and the Account Managers. We're "strategic" we're told, but when it comes down to it, we are actually very very tactical and reactionary. I really don't know what purpose I serve in this role.

Account Managers and CSMs don't coexist in most companies. CSMs are actually the evolution of Account Managers. Don't believe me? Go! Read job descriptions! Talk to CS people and leaders! What we as CSMs do at Glassdoor is a mix between support and PPC managers, and as more and more of that gets automated, I wonder: Why are we needed? Is it because the Account Managers don't get job ads? Because i think we all know that's not true. They can learn how to speak to them, and they should be able to speak to them because they are responsible for the accounts! They need to know this! Is it because the Account Managers clam up and hand off to he CSM when tracking gets brought up? Again, I learned, so can they.

It seems like a big waste of money and resources to have so much overlap in roles between CSMs and AMs, and in light of the recent announcement to get lean, doesn't it make more sense to really think through this? I don't want to see everyone lose their jobs, but I think we can all agree that the set up at Glassdoor doesn't make sense, and it all seems like a bunch of busy work that I'm doing all day long. Or being questioned and made to feel like people are trying to catch me in a mistake. Not fun.

Advice to Management

Think about it. You can eliminate the CSM role, continue with support and Implementation, increase headcount in both and let the AMs own the accounts. Get some admins to assist in deck creation and report pulling, and there you go.

Sep 13, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Chicago CSM

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. You've raised some important questions here that I will try my best to answer.

In my experience, the role of the Customer... More

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly love this company. There is a great culture and I love everyone from the CEO, to my VP, to the people who site next to me everyday at the office. The company treats us so well as employees that sometimes I feel guilty lol. On the other hand, it makes me really appreciate my job and motivates me to bust my but to do a great job in return. Great culture, great benefits, great work/life balance and work from home option (within reason), and a great team of people. It's amazing to me looking back on how far this company has come in the 3 short years I've worked here. We have tons of fun and work really hard. There is a sea of growth potential here both personally and professionally- from round table discussions, to on line learning, to leadership workshops. Glassdoor lives their mission.

Cons

The pace at which things change can seem rattling at times, but that's start up life. On the other hand, it's really cool to be a part of figuring it all out and building processes. I've also learned how to be more adaptable as a human being and manager as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. And remember there are just some people who will never be happy or satisfied no matter what you do. From me personally, thank you for everything you do for us!

Oct 12, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks for this awesome review. We are so glad you are part of the team. Our Ohio office is incredible and have such an important role in making Glassdoor a great site for employees.