Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 46 reviews)

• One of the components I love is the ability to work from home (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains within the organization (in 29 reviews)

• Low base pay compared to similar positions in the bay area, lots of change as company pushes towards IPO which can be stressful (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I found my dream job helping others find theirs"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a great place for career growth, making friends, and experiencing new foods. I love our dog friendly office. It's so fun! We're also right beside the ocean which is just beautiful. One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance. Unlimited PTO allows me to take sick days without stress and the freedom to work my own hours lets me schedule my day how I like it. We also have a personal trainer on-site 3 days a week. I'm obsessed with her class. But my favorite part about working for Glassdoor is I enjoy showing up to work every day. Although I have the option to work from home some days if I like (I have a long commute), I love coming to the office because my co-workers are my friends. We also have standing desks: major plus. I love you Glassdoor!

Cons

I make below market pay, but for me, a job is SO MUCH MORE THAN SALARY. I love my job which is worth more than any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I still make good money, I just could be making even more. Glassdoor pays decent :)

Advice to Management

I can't speak for other people so I don't have much to say. I really like the management style. The freedom I'm given means everything to me and I feel it makes me better at my job.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you're finding your experience so rewarding that you used "dream job" in your title. You can't imagine how proud that makes me. I am delighted you are part of the ... More

"Lacks Accountability to reach potential. On the brink of real success if they could bring in some real sales energy."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, strong engineering team, intelligent people. Has the makings to be a great company.

Cons

Runs like a small company that has inexperienced sales leadership. No strategic sales leaders. They can't bring in the industry level leadership needed because they are not willing to pay the salary of what that would cost. CEO gives visionary speeches of the product, but does not hold his leaders accountable. Somehow, there has been no sales leadership change when they have drastically underperformed with no plans of how they will change that. Much of this comes from the fact that majority of them do not have the experience to lead a sales organization. In my time there, I do not recall I time where I saw a leader inspire and LEAD. Having a great product doesn't pay off if you don't have the people that know how to sell it. How can you expect these leaders to succeed when the company is much larger if they can't succeed now?

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions and don't be afraid to remove leadership that does not perform and meet goals. Sales reps are held to performance standards and the same should be done for their leaders. Stop accepting mediocre success and demand performance of what an industry leading company requires. You don't just need top engineers... Also, move out of Mill Valley and into San Francisco. You have to spend money to make money.

"Couldn't Ask For A Better Fit"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You’ll see this in every review that you read, but the people are what make Glassdoor such a special place. From the moment I set foot through these doors, I was welcomed with open arms. From my manager, whom I would literally follow into a burning building, to my teammates, who are more like my siblings than coworkers. Not to mention all of our amazing teams outside of sales who are often the unsung heroes. Everyone wants to lend a helping hand to get you where you need to be personally and professionally.

As I mentioned before, my direct manager is a big part of the reason why I am so happy here. Without him I know I would not be where I am today. And that’s true for our whole leadership team. They genuinely want me to be successful here and will do whatever they can to make that happen.

The last thing I’ll say is that working on the other side of the bridge is pretty great too. When things get a little overwhelming, being able to go outside and walk it out on the bike path overlooking the Bay and Mt. Tam, really help to reset and get back on track.

Honestly, it’s hard to put into words, but most times it’s just awesome to be a part of this company.

Cons

I won’t lie: it’s hard, and some days are harder than others. There’s no getting around putting in the work here. That said, my biggest challenge is the amount of factors that are outside of our control and how that can impact one’s success: where a company is located, how many open jobs they might have compared to the year prior, content issues, a client’s performance, Customer Success, internal processes, etc. These are all challenges we face when trying to hit our quota and it can be very defeating and frustrating. It can sometimes feel like some people are better set up for success than others based on their book of business or their support team.

You’ll likely read some reviews that talk about how our company’s culture is gone. I wouldn’t say that it’s gone, it’s just different. I don’t think we ever lost that Glassdoor family feel, but when you go from personally seeing success over and over to suddenly not, sometimes sending out a few more emails, or leaving one more voicemail becomes more important than a dress up day or monthly award ceremony. Participation is lacking but only because there is a lot of “catch up” to hit numbers. It isn’t just one person who makes a company’s culture, but rather the collective whole, and this past year was rough on the collective whole.

You’ll also read some reviews about compensation. Living in the most expensive city is not easy. And yes, I would like to get paid more so that maybe one day I can buy a house and maybe even start a family. For now, the office environment and the people are what make the discrepancy in comp bearable, but I do worry that at some point the allure of all that will not shine as bright as it does now.

Advice to Management

I know we are working, and making changes to become a grown-up company (don’t get me wrong, fixes to our internal processes cannot come soon enough), but can we just make sure we find a way to become that well-established company without totally sacrificing that youthful spirit that made people want to come to work and stay here in the first place? If it’s the people that make this place great, let’s continue to listen to them, take care of them and value them.

"Over one year in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Fantastic company culture
    * Strong momentum / prospects

Cons

* Still amidst the process of upgrading talent but we are making great progress and have some fantastic people on board

"Great Experience at Glassdoor"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s the friends that we work with that make Glassdoor great. In full transparency, it’s been a challenging year, but I stuck it out because of the people here. It’s hard to leave a company when you love working for your manager and there’s awesome chemistry with your team. My manager’s ability to coach us to the top and keep everyone happy to be at Glassdoor was the highlight of my year. Our Director was very hands on as well and never hesitated to hit to road while providing tremendous feedback to develop our skills. We’ve got great people here at Glassdoor!

Cons

There’s been lots of growing pain this past year and it greatly impacted the culture of our Sales and CS Department. Morale was at its lowest this past year since my time at Glassdoor. Good news is that our Leadership Team listened to our feedback and is improving the situation. I’m happy to say that it’s starting to feel like the good old days and we’re getting back on the right track. Career development was another challenging aspect for our tier, but there’s been improvement here as well with couple of reps getting promoted. Looking forward to see what’s in store for 2017!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to our feedback and focus on innovating as a company. It feels like we're on the right track.

"Fun to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch, Good engineering company. Believes in Engineers. Close to city but not in city. Talented co-workers.

Cons

Did not find very innovative, Engineering job is challenging but not very challenging. You learn new things but after a time it just remain the same learning curve becomes flat.

"Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company with great benefits, family style approach to leading teams and commitment to producing incredible results. Face paced work environment with tons of room for growth and a data-centric mentality. Fantastic leadership team that prides itself in being best in class and committed to improving the way people look for and find jobs!

Cons

Not many. If anything it's the constant juggling of many company initiatives while producing a high quality work product. With so much great work to get done, it can be difficult to say no to things and consistently maintain a great work product. Not for everyone and takes self-starters, efficient work management and people that embrace a feedback rich culture.

Advice to Management

Keep company focused across all teams and work to improve operations and processes!

"Proud to work here"

Current Employee - Data Science
    Current Employee - Data Science

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is the best place I’ve worked at, and I’m honored to work for a product that seems universally loved, by friends or strangers on the street.

We mean it when we say integrity is a core value. For example, we have one consistent standard to how we approve or reject reviews, regardless of whether an employer is a client or not. Internally, through EQ training and leadership culture, we emphasize open communication and feedback.

There are many smart people in the tech industry, but the people here are also generally the most caring co-workers I’ve had, and I think it’s related to our product and mission. Also, I love working with the data science team, and hope that we will remain friends beyond our time at Glassdoor.

I’m a big fan of the CEO’s decision to focus more this year, and I’m optimistic about the strategy. I also like the recent attention to listening to and understanding our users. In the past it had felt like users were mainly traffic numbers.

Work-life balance is respected. We have options for work from home and flexible hours. Some people work nights and weekends, but often this is self-driven.

We still have much upside to incorporating data science into more of our product, especially since we have so much data to work with.

Cons

There have been several re-orgs in the Data Science & Analytics teams - the most recent one splits us into Decision Science and Machine Learning groups. Re-orgs are probably common for a growing company our small size, but it takes some adjustment, e.g. how our career paths here change with them.

Though he will still work with us, the VP of Data Science is leaving data science to lead product and strategy here. This is a big win for the company, but a loss for our team. He has been a big force in mentoring and inspiration, working closely with us from whiteboarding ideas and formulas to providing feedback on even our detailed work.

Some departments are more title inflated and heirarchical, and information can be lost in communication across layers or across teams, causing people working on the ground to hear about them late and feel like they have little say.

We are in the early stages of using big data processing technology in data science, and still figuring this out.

Advice to Management

If we want to be a truly data-driven company, we need to have the data-focused people be sitting at the table and involved early. I think this is going in the right direction e.g. product and engineering that is comfortable with ML, and Decision Science working more closely with Business Operations.

If part of the problem in our negative reviews (eg in sales) is managers, then we need an easier way to provide manager feedback, and Glint surveys don’t solve this.

The best thing is hearing “I hear you” from the CEO, e.g. regarding seriously focusing this year, and having discussions with teams. Glassdoor reviews are about giving the employee a voice - keep emphasizing this culture.

Feb 17, 2017 – VP, Product

I am glad to hear that that you feel rewarded to work at Glassdoor. Our culture and mission is what makes it special for me too, and I am so happy to hear that you have built life-long relationships ... More

"And, We're Back!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Mission: Glassdoor has a mission I can really get behind - Help people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. You can feel that at the core of everything we do. It's the reason why we all go to work!

My Colleagues: I love the people I work with! Glassdoor recruits and keeps some of the brightest, most creative, friendly, funny, welcoming people I have ever met. My teammates encourage me to be genuine and real and provide the personal and professional support I was looking for in a team. My efforts and my personality have been acknowledged and appreciated here.

My Manager: My manager is incredible. He is remarkably talented at coaching individual members as well as coaching to the team which has made us all tight knit and one another's biggest fans. Personally, he has taught me a process, pushed me outside my comfort zone, and cultivated a confidence in me that I am so grateful for. He truly is a role model and a dear friend. Our entire team sees his tireless dedication to our team, to the company, and, most importantly, his family. He is all around a stellar human that we are lucky to know and work with.

Our Leaders: Leadership listens! I wrote a review about 6 months ago that was quite critical about where we were as a sales org. This included a critique of new processes that had been implemented that seemed to be slowing us down, as well as the tough quota targets. As a side note, that review was still 4 stars because I love Glassdoor. Anyways, since then, our middle management, VPs, and Exec Team responded to the reviews on Glassdoor, addressed concerns in town halls, implemented a new internal feedback loop (Glint), and, over time, solved for our biggest problems by reducing quotas and giving the sales team the opportunity to earn back lost dollars due to poor initial plan.

At the first half of 2016, Glassdoor had dropped the ball but I am happy to say that they have picked it up and are running hard toward the goal line. I love this company and am so proud to be part of a an org that REALLY LISTENS and WANTS TO DO RIGHT by it's employees.

Cons

Our biggest strength is our biggest weakness: we are a start up. Start up means that sometimes things are humming and jiving and other times things are broken and disorganized.

Career Development and Training could be improved. Processes are a work in progress. We have been iterating for a few years so innovation to product and positioning is welcome.

Although there are things to be improved, if I've learned anything in the 10 years I've been in the workforce and the 3 years I've been at Glassdoor, it's that things are not always perfect. I've also learned that really great companies and wonderful leaders seek to learn from those not so perfect times to make the organization better moving forward. Glassdoor and our CEO does that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and lean on your employees to offer feedback before, during, and after we implement big changes. We want to help. CS and Implementation still need some cleaning up and morale boosts. AE side needs some TLC and their managers NEED more training to build stronger, more motivated teams. We will continue to lose people if we don't. There needs to be A LOT more effort put into training and ongoing career development. You have very talented people at your org, don't let their brains and motivation to be better go to waste (that's how you hit numbers).

"Growing too fast, lack of competence in key roles at all levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a young, dynamic place and offers pretty good benefits. Pre-ipo, so they offer stock options to top up the low salaries.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that there are a bunch of managers who are obviously inexperienced, incompetent and untrained. Upper management hires people like crazy, works them hard, then treats them like crap. They are so intent on improving the bottom line they keep screwing things up then laying people off to act like they're being fiscally responsible. The incompetence of some of the key managers (even in the executive suite) is truly scary!

Advice to Management

Stop focusing just on getting to profitability and train your management team to build a sustainable company, or you'll end up as just another failed tech flameout.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for this candid feedback. I hear your frustration and I want you to know we are committed to increasing training and development for our managers across the organization. One of the great ... More