Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated June 15, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 36 reviews)

• "The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley" (in 20 reviews)

"Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (Less than a year)

Pros

Too many to list... i.e. benefits, lunch, office, casual attire, pet friendly it goes on and on.

Cons

Not the most competitive pay structure.

Advice to Management

Consider bonuses and money spiffs.

Mar 29, 2018 – Senior Director, Human Resources

We really appreciate your honest review and feedback. Please know that our HR team routinely reviews our structure around total compensation to ensure its competitive with the current market and we... More

"Some growing pains, but overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The mission
    -Product is easy to get behind, so we feel pretty confident on the phone
    -The people are great, which makes a huge difference in company culture
    -I’ve had positive experiences with management that wants us to succeed and grow
    -New Chicago office is great
    -Robert and executive leadership is good at keeping us in the loop and demonstrating transparency
    -Opportunities for career growth
    -I feel excited about our future!

Cons

-We’ve grown a lot, which comes with some growing pains. At times internal communication could be much better, especially around promotion path and specific steps/timeline to promotion. I think we’re taking good steps to get there, though!

-Our Chicago office is great, even though location is a little difficult for commuters. It would be amazing if there was the option to use the gym downstairs for free! I know I’m paying extra to commute there, so maybe sometime down the line that will be a wellness perk provided to employees.

Advice to Management

Please keep working toward completely transparent communication regarding promotion path and letting us know about changes to quotas or promotion timelines ASAP.

Mar 5, 2018 – Co-Founder and CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are incredibly proud of the new Chicago office and we’ve invested a lot of time, love, and input in order to make it comfortable for our teams. This is a very exciting... More

"Great Place to Grow Professionally"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership and management is always looking out for your best interests! It feels great knowing that Glassdoor leaders will give us their time and resources to mature info refined professionals, and do not expect us to come in being perfect. You just have to ask for the help!

Glassdoor also has a lot of fun benefits like catered lunch, flexible work schedule, ability to bring dogs into the office, and Marin kombucha on tap!

All coworkers are wonderfully quirky, motivated and diverse. I love coming to work for the people!

Cons

Although you can learn a ton at Glassdoor, there is almost no structure or guidance on how to succeed at your job. Managers are spread thin on many different projects other than helping their direct reports achieve Quarterly success. Training for new hires is extremely disorganized and disorganized. You have to rely on your peers to learn the day to day.

Continued trainings that are marked as MANDATORY to attend in the middle of your day, are oftentimes useless.

If you want to know something, get resources, or learn, you have to go after it yourself. The "build your own desk" culture is still very much alive! Pro for some, con for others.

"Great place to work... if you like small and scrappy teams."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor has a great CEO who is smart, empathetic, honest and charismatic. He is an engineer by training who is respected around the company, and that has made all the difference in terms of quality and thoughtfulness of our core products, and our great company culture.

There is real work-life balance at Glassdoor, if you make a priority for yourself. I work from home 1-2 days a week to make the commute from the East Bay manageable, and management has supported that. I get my work done efficiently, and in 3 years have never worked a weekend -- aside from travel and 1-2 very unusual weekend fire drills. This is a company you can work at for years and have a great life doing so.

As we've matured as a company, we're paying more attention to training and development, which is awesome. There are possibilities to move around within the company, and there are regular classes to pick up skills and grow as a professional.

Glassdoor has a great brand, and that makes it fun to work here. People here feel like we are really helping people find a job they love, and that's more like a nonprofit than just another tech company. Glassdoor really has a soul as an organization, and I have learned a lot about culture and management from my time here.

People are friendly at Glassdoor. Marin is a beautiful place to work. And the free lunch and video games really are great.

Cons

Most teams at Glassdoor are small. You might say they are starved for resources. My team hasn't grown at all in years, and it can be frustrating being asked to do more of the same year after year with no additional resources. If you're not in a part of the company that is growing today, it's tough to see a long-term career arc upward.

In terms of benefits, there is no 401(k) match, would I would like to see happen someday. Otherwise, the benefits are great and management are constantly looking for ways to improve them, by surveying employees. That's great.

Our headquarters are in Marin because of a historical accident, really. Now we are split between Mill Valley and SF, because many sought-after job candidates simply aren't willing to work in Marin and have bargained for an SF office. That split isn't great for the company long-term -- we should clearly relocate either into SF so that people can commute in on transit, or into East Bay so people can actually afford to someday buy houses. There are no other top tech companies in Marin (putting AutoDesk aside) for a reason -- it's probably not a sustainable location for Glassdoor long term.

We are in a very competitive industry and I'm hesitant long-term about our ability to grow and thrive as a company. We are facing intense competition, with larger rivals copying the best aspects of our product and ramping up their investments in marketing. It's a scary competitive landscape facing us right now.

Advice to Management

Please continue your investment in employee training, and learning and development. They are paying off in terms of engagement and people feeling like they have an upward path at Glassdoor.

While an IPO would be nice -- because it will cash out many option holders -- there is plenty of capital in private markets, and an IPO is frankly mostly just a badge of honor. Maybe we forget about an IPO, stay private, and drive the company deep into profitable territory. A lot of employee dissatisfaction at Glassdoor among long-time employees is coming from options holders who are impatient to cash in after ten years. I think we would be better off as a company to stop setting the expectation of an upcoming IPO year after year, only to not deliver on that expectation.

Keep the culture at Glassdoor weird! This is the best company I have ever worked for, and I am grateful for everything I have learned here, and all the amazing people who are here because they believe in this awesome small company.

"Great place to grow in your career & solve interesting problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is at that sweet spot where we we've matured out of the crazy start-up phase and have the right leaders and plans in place to ensure stability, but we're still growing rapidly enough that there's a ton of opportunity to make a difference and advance quickly within the company if you prove yourself. It's great to see transparency and other company values embodied from the CEO on down. My managers have always been committed to helping me learn and find success. Free lunch in Mill Valley is great and I have found compensation to be competitive for late-stage start-ups.

Cons

Like any start-up, we're still figuring stuff out and some days the list of challenges can feel overwhelming. Owning a car to drive to work from SF is very expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your managers to invest in people development. Expand the office in San Francisco. Consider 401K matching to help people build good savings habits.

Mar 5, 2018 – Co-Founder and CEO

It’s great to read this review regarding your managers! Our focus over the past several quarters has been to invest in people development and we'll continue this going forward. Please feel free to... More

"Recruiting"

Former Employee - Recruiting in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are trying, they truly are but not doing so well internally.

Cons

Over worked and low wage

Advice to Management

You need to priorities keeping people at the company. Once you have a systemic process that enables and incentivizes people to stay they will stay. You have to act on what you preach.

Mar 5, 2018 – HR Team

Your honest and candid feedback is appreciated. Work life balance is incredibly important and we encourage our leadership team to continue to share this. 401(k) match is something that we have... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, great leadership, great people.

Cons

Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains.

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
    I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

"Live that Transparency & Job You Love Motto"

Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in the senior leadership/execs. Made great updates to approach re: sharing information that has had a felt impact.

Love the new focus on being a recruitment company, instead of separate B2C and B2B identities. Excited for building for scale over the next years.

Marketing reorg was smart, and long needed. Have had good career opps here.

Not an ego-driven place. Tries to be and hire thoughtful, strong people.

Def appreciate our gym (though needs some investment) and classes (more yoga please!).

Cons

Salaries not market rate. Think it's hard for us to hire true A players all the time.

Not as modern or shiny/sexy place as some expect from Valley tech - whether that's our environment/office space, coffee, tech savvy of employees, or our sites/app and design.

Feedback/suggestions to HR and facilities oft met with defensive, corporate email replies - even something small like "could we have less candy / unhealthy food and more healthy stuff?"

Advice to Management

Be a modern Bay Area tech company that promotes health and wellness, including quality food, and invests in updating our environment. (Say "too bad" to those who like to eat the bad stuff - they can BYOCandy!) Find ways to get regular feedback on this kind of stuff. There's lots of tools and services that help w/this.

Otherwise, keep up the great work, and keep trying to find ways for us to live our mantra's about transparency.

"Easy Sales. Great Culture. Good place to grow."

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super easy sales
     - You close sales in 2-3 calls for Small or Medium Businesses.
     - Pipeline is always moving because of the quick sales cycle.
     - Everyone knows who Glassdoor is so when you are on the call it's always warm.
     - Monthly quotas keep you motivated the whole quarter long which creates a fast-paced environment

Great culture for growing a career
     - More than anything, people aren't judgemental. Be yourself and no one will give you a hard time.
     - Managers have your back.
     - You never feel like anyone is looking over your shoulder.
     - You can expect to be promoted every 12 months if you're doing well and the managers like you.
     - You learn sales methods from professional programs instead of learning everything on your own.
     - People are suuuuuuuper friendly and helpful
     - If you like to drink, the SF culture just seems to drink a ton so get ready for that
     - There's an SF office, a Chicago office, and a few international offices. If you want to transfer offices, live in London, etc. Glassdoor is actually open to it!

Perks and Benefits
     - CATERED MEALS are AMAZING! They've really found caterers who bring you great food every single day
     - Health, Dental, Life is all covered for you and partially covered for family members but it's top-of-the-line insurance providers
     - Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager. If you want to come in early and leave early, great. If not, most are expected to be here from 8-5 with an hour lunch. However, if you ever need to leave or stay home or go on a trip, they are super flexible and don't give you a hard time.

Leadership
     - They've had their struggles in the past but recognize that and have changed a TON.
     - The VP of Sales will actually sit in a room with sales reps and ask them what needs to be changed and they actually listen.
     - The CEO listens to feedback and consistently is trying to improve transparency and communication. He's also just a genuinely good guy.

Cons

Here are the few I've found
     - This place is LIBERAL. Good for half of you, maybe bad for the other half of you. All of SF is really liberal in general but if you're already living here then you're used to it. People aren't judgemental if you are republican, but I feel like you'll just hear a lot of left-wing chatter and that might bug some right-wing folks.
     - This place DRINKS! Once agian, good for some, maybe not for others. If you don't drink or don't want to be around people who do, maybe Glassdoor isn't for you. Once again, no one will judge at all if you don't, but there is a lot of that here.
     - Leadership is still making changes to improve compensation and I would say change in general is a minor challange.
     - Some leaders don't seem super strong, you know? Like, they aren't the type of people everyone wants to follow.
     - Compensation is enough to get by, but could be better. Like I said, they are making changes to get you more money.
     - If you perform, you'll get promoted. But there is definitely a "cultural fit" aspect to promotions as well. So know that to get promoted, managers will definitely have to like you. If you aren't likeable, you might not even get hired so...... nevermind

Advice to Management

Get strong leaders in place that have done this kind of thing before, not everyone has to be an internal promotion.

Figure out a way to pay salespeople more

Keep listening to us

Feb 2, 2018 – SVP Worldwide Sales

Thanks for the detailed review! I'm pumped that it seems like you've found a great home in Sales at Glassdoor. We're always working to make things better based on feedback from the team. Appreciate... More