Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Trending in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have hired some truly amazing people in the last 10 months who are going to take our Chicago office to the next level of awesomeness! We are also moving to our new Fulton market office, and I cannot wait!!!
    2016 had its challenges as we were figuring out a lot of new things. Being in a new location with a new team lead by new managers had it's not so happy moments, but we are reaping the rewards now.

Cons

Not entirely sure what the parking situation will be like at the new office, but rumor has it that it won't be as good as we have it now.

Advice to Management

Chicago is one of the main reasons the company is doing so well. With the growth we are seeing and the $$$ we pull in, please hook us up with food on Tuesday and Fridays.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for being part of our awesome team in Chicago. You’re right, it’s moving fast and we’ve hired some great folks who will take us to the next level. Appreciate your help!

"Rudderless - Avoid at all cost!"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-When in Mill Valley, the lunches were sometimes good and the Coke machine usually had ice

Cons

-Culture of blame
    -No vision or real leadership from senior management
    -Very "junior" sales org from top-down with little outside experience and not much thought leadership
    -Very negative, toxic culture
    -Total inability to make the transition from revenue to margin
    -Very dishonest culture. Lying is encouraged here.
    -Layoffs/RIFs fairly common (Leadership is very reactionary with zero discipline to stay the course)
    -Watched a senior level person be recruited from a top-tier organization with 10+ years of tenure (hired to work remote) only to be told 4-weeks later that the organization would no longer support remote (that was the official excuse given, and printed on paperwork filed with the state of CA, however I was advised by someone who was actually IN the meeting with the CEO the day before that the cut was made purely for budget reasons - don't believe the corporate values - they are wall decorations)

Advice to Management

CEO - Stop standing-up in meetings dropping F-Bombs like a 6th grader with a head injury.

Oct 10, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Hi - I really am sorry that Glassdoor wasn't a fit for you. Being remote is very challenging, and in your case, the position really needed to be in one of our large sales offices.

We're proud of... More

"Glassdoor is on a roll!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is on a mission to help people find a job and company they love and they’re succeeding! This company is ALIVE and filled with friendly, energetic, and smart people who come to work every day feeling both empowered and accountable. I particularly like that the company models itself around being transparent, since that's what Glassdoor is all about.

Cons

The pace at Glassdoor is frenetic. If you can’t deal with change and a certain amount of unpredictability, this is not the place for you.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for being part of our team and sharing this great review! The friendly, energetic, and smart people are exactly what motivate me come to work every day too. Glad you’re one of them!

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and I could not ask for a better team to work with or to be a part of. When I started, we had a great culture and really embraced the growing start up vibe. On a team level we are there to help each other every step of the way.

Cons

Our comp plan was recently changed to the point where many of us cannot afford to live. We are completely underpaid and under appreciated. Pay us less and expect us to do more? Not really a good way to run a business.

I would not recommend joining the company at this time. They are so focused on becoming public that they have lost their full sense of what Glassdoor is about. We preach transparency but recently we have all been in the dark. Suddenly there is something announced that is a major change. Management says they had no idea, but how can you run a business keeping your managers and directors our of the loop? Sounds a bit fishy.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor spends a ton of time trying to find the right fit, treating us the way you currently are is not going to help keep good employees around or hire the "right fit".

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you took the time to write and I’m sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected. As we examine our comp & quotas to make sure we’re getting this right, what keeps me motivated are the... More

"Great so far, still a lot of progress needed"

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

Happy overall during the time I have spent here (~1 year). We do somethings very well and where we make mistakes, try to correct them.

Cons

I think due to some of these mistakes we have lost some great people, but that's life.

Advice to Management

Continue to learn from our mistakes.

"The People Team"

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- An opportunity to hire those passionate about their career and Glassdoor's mission
    - A strong CEO who does his best to be transparent about the good, and the not-so-good; Robert owns both successes and failures without fail
    - Good work/life balance; free healthcare; stock options

Cons

Unfortunately, my time spent on The Talent Acquisition (People) Team was deeply disappointing. I joined the company with high hopes of it being my #dreamjob and left disillusioned.
    The People Team has undergone a number of changes over the last six to nine months, including letting go of our amazing Head of TA who was respected by many as well as losing 90% of the original recruiting staff, myself included. There is a huge lack of transparency about why and how decisions are made, and simply repeating "we are building a center of excellence" doesn't reassure or inform anyone. I agree that there was a lack of process and was in complete support of change and the building of infrastructure but the way it was handled was damaging to morale, and simply unprofessional. There were literal days and weeks in a row of "surprise" meetings where we were told so and so had left, and this and that position were being eliminated. We are nimble professionals who have worked at large and small companies, and dealt with our fair share of change and attrition - this is not the issue. Our teams' roles were evaluated based on criteria that was not shared with us and the lack of transparency was astounding.

Advice to Management

Building a world class People Team is absolutely something to which Glassdoor should strive. But, there are people who depended on you to live up to your word and placing innovation above asking for the informed opinions of your current team or allowing us to understand what is expected of us, was the wrong way to handle this. I would recommend Glassdoor as a company, but have lost respect for those left in TA leadership.

Aug 14, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate the time you took to share this feedback. When we look at areas to improve sometimes we need to have difficult conversations and from your review, it sounds like we can be more... More

"Great perks - but they still need to figure out how to transition from a start-up to an actual business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - free food, free benefits, dogs in office.

Cons

Start-up mentality is hindering this company to expand to it's full potential. For the years of existence this company has - they should be a global platform widely known across the board. I still come across people who have no idea who or what Glassdoor is. (And these folks are top in the tech industry.)

Advice to Management

Stop thinking as a start-up and start thinking as a corporation. Also stop spreading yourselves short. Trying to be involved in every single detail of the day to day business also hinders the ability for executives to see the broader picture and also limits their capabilities of actually being able to push the business forward. Delegate - that is why you have management beneath you to be involved and report back. Some executives try to do more than imaginably possible and it creates rifts between teams and backlogs of action items that need to be pushed forward. In other words - you should really focus on the mission of the company instead of being involved in everyone else's business.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate this feedback and please know that we are listening. I’m sorry to see Glassdoor wasn’t the right place for you and I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. It sounds like we... More

"Not a place for middle managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are pushed to bring your A game to work every day. I worked at Glassdoor for 2 years and in those two years I learned more than I did in other companies. They invest in their employees in different ways including training, time off, free food, gym etc.

Cons

I have mixed feelings about Glassdoor. This is not a place if you are in middle management and want to have vertical growth. Your chances are extremely low regardless of how you perform. You are pressured from the top to do more and at the same time from your junior staff who are mostly millennials and we all know how challenging they can be.

On the other hand, if you want to learn and grow your skills, both functionally and personally, then this could be a great place to work for a few years.

Advice to Management

It is ok to promote from within and not look outside for all upper management positions. Have more trust in your middle management. Be realistic in your expectations. No one wants to grow old waiting for that promotion. Good people will leave as there are plenty of great companies in the bay area. There are some amazing people stuck at the same position for years and when there is an opportunity, it is unfair to hire someone from outside just because they have "done it before".

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate your honest assessment of our career growth opportunities. This is something we’ve taken seriously this year and have since rolled out training programs to make sure everyone is aware of... More

"Not what it's hyped up to be"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Nice people
    Some free snacks/drinks
    lunch 3x week via Seamless

Cons

When I first started at Glassdoor, they sold the dream, and I will admit it was fun at first. Comp has changed significantly as we all know we are underpaid (according to our own tool) and no one is happy anymore. Our comp plan was supposedly changed for the better, but everyone is making less now on this current plan and people are starting to look elsewhere- like competitors where pay is much higher. For the type of industry we are in and what we preach to the companies we work with, the company culture is no where near where it should be. The offices are super cliquey and both offices are boring (if you're looking for a fun modern-day office vibe, look elsewhere.) Chicago is moving to a new one, however it's in a horrible location (nothing nearby) and not so great area. We also have no work from home freedom, which most in this type of role would have. Asking managers for a day off or work from home day is stressful and never seems to be accommodating, but when a manger needs a day off or to work from home- no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Look at your own tool and realize our pay is way below average. How long is this going to take before all of your good employees are gone? Also, have some trust in your employees and let them WFH and have more freedom- we need to practice what we preach!

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your feedback, I’m sorry to hear your frustrations and I hope you know that we are listening, and we hear you. The new Chicago office will be a chance for us to hit refresh and... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you as an individual. I have, on countless occasions, had the opportunity to meet with our CEO and just chat. Get to know him as a person, which is rare! We also have so many great perks, benefits are amazing, promotion opportunities are through the roof, and of course, a GREAT opportunity to make some $$$.

Pros:
     - Lunch on MW & Thurs
     - Catered breakfast for events
     - Snacks on snacks
     - La Croix, Coke, Diet coke, water, coffee
     - KIND OF unlimited PTO - not really though
     - Flexible work hours
     - Work/Life Balance

Cons

This being a "young org" will go through its changes, but this isn't really a con. If you can't roll with the punches, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep killin' it.

Jul 24, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

Thanks for taking the time to share a review! Glad to hear things are going well for you and keep those lines of communication with our CEO and the rest of the team open!