Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated September 18, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

"Never a better time to be in Sales"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comp plan is ridiculously good right now, especially on the new business side of the house. Management is excellent and morale is high.

Cons

How about moving the office to SF?!

"Enterprise Account Manager - No Win!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The greatest part of Glassdoor are the people that I work with.

Cons

For the past 4+ years Glassdoor has been trying to figure out how to organize internally and how to structure the goals. This is still a struggle as no one in leadership has a clue regarding the growth side of the business and how to make goals fair across the teams. I am not sure how many years they are going to try and put a “one size fits all” approach on this until they realize that does not work. There is no parity in size of books, types of accounts, past history on accounts (which will clearly dictate future growth), etc. There is no forgiveness in the plan and frankly the ability to make your OTE is almost impossible unless you are a lucky few. Throughout my tenure here, they keep saying “we messed up” and then do little things to try and correct, but they only correct for those who have already reaped the benefits. Additionally, their is NO support for the ENT growth tier. It has become abundantly clear that unless you are in new business or on the strat team, that your success will always be a struggle here and you are completely on your own.

Advice to Management

Stop doing the same thing over and over with a slightly different look to it. As a company that wants to put the “client first”, then you need to put your top account managers first. They are your direct contact with your most important clients and if they are not feeling success and positive that will only emulate out to clients indirectly. Plan for the future and stop trying to put band aids on problems. Lastly, listen to what your employees say and make change, don’t just try to seem empathetic and do nothing.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

Thank you for your feedback and perspective, we can’t get better without it. Over your four years at Glassdoor it’s heartening to see that your peers and our people have been a constant area of... More

3. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun environment, that is workin towards a mission of transparency for job seekers. The leadership team truly believes in giving the power back to the people. Great office location and surrounded by people that have worked in a lot of different backgrounds.

Cons

Typical growing pains when I was an employee there. Sales team was grown very quickly which caused for some turnover.

Advice to Management

Be clear on hiring strategies.

"SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SDR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Culture. The people are so welcoming, and nice. Everyone wants to see you win.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Absolutely no work life balance. Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Respectable CEO. Dog friendly MV office

Cons

Hectic work and crazy deadlines. Expectation from leadership was extra hours of work at nights and weekends. Lack of appreciation for the work. Meager amount of stock options during the performance review cycle. Pay doesn’t match the San Francisco area standards. Overall more work for less pay. Greatest of missions cannot motivate people to stick around.

Advice to Management

The planning and goal setting should be looking at normal working hours for employees and not expect them to sacrifice personal time for work.

Aug 13, 2018 – Director, HR

Thank you very much for this candid feedback. We strive to ensure that employees feel supported in balancing their personal lives and work lives. Leadership is never encouraged to push staff members... More

6. "Feels like home"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Glassdoor. The company mission resonates with me and is always reiterated. I love my manager and my co-workers. The company puts on fun events, the office is beautiful and dog friendly. Everyone is nice and friendly as well. I am able to be a leader and am never told that something is out of reach if it's something I want to do. My teammates support me and my managers encourage me.

Cons

I have no complaints. I truly love working at Glassdoor!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard for your team and help those that fall behind. Always make sure promotion paths are clearly understood.

"It doesn't get better"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I don't feel like I have to separate my work from my life... working at Glassdoor is just a part of my life and I love every single second of it.
    - I don't ever work more than 40 hours/week, and I get paid more than most people doing a similar job at other tech companies
    - Quota is extremely attainable, and once you exceed your quota get ready for VERY aggressive accelerators

Long story short, Glassdoor fits my life extremely well. I'm able to provide a comfortable life for my family, while also being able to spend significant time with them.

Cons

- Historically hasn't been great training support for SDR's, however that is changing, as we recently added a SDR Sales Trainer to our team
    - Office is getting so big that its almost impossible to get to know everyone

Advice to Management

Invest more resources into on-boarding. First impressions are everything, and its important we create a great experience for our new hires!

"A lot of promises but no delivery- Growth Team"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I went through a lot to get this role at Glassdoor on the growth team. My teammates were really great people and did a lot to help me get up and running.
    -Solid product and mission
    -Good benefits
    - Fun office atmosphere and perks
    -Competitive pay

Cons

I have a lot of them because my experience was pretty awful in the end. For starters, after receiving the offer, they were tiptoeing around the idea of pulling the offer back but eventually they did not ( I can't remember the exact wording but it was very confusing). They changed my start date 3 times. It took them a month and half to decide whether or not I had a guarantee or not for the first few months I was not on book. Once they did decide to give me one (it was generous) they changed the amount on me 2 times. Training was pretty good but I wish they would have had more of a focus on the growth side of the house. It was set up for new biz.

Leadership had told me they wanted to hit the road with me and I planned a long trip in my territory only to have them bail on me last minute. I performed well on my own but it was just sign of how upper management effects the day to day big time with their last minute asks. I feel like no matter what I did it was never enough, I brought back a solid verbal from a client that we were going to grow an additional 80% and I got flack for it. I felt really good about all the work I put in and the result was really big for my book and team but the feedback I got was that I needed to push the client even harder.

This all came to a head when I was let go without any prior warning or notice, despite being lauded company wide just a few weeks before for hitting my monthly quota. Just days before I was also told I had been performing well and had been great a receiving the coaching management had provided to me. I also had forecasted to crush my goal for the current month, so there were no signs of poor performance. Additionally, in the weeks prior to this management had laid out a program that had specific criteria we needed to hit to be in "good standing" and it was mentioned that there would be conversations along the way if an individual was not meeting those standards. I never had any of those conversations.

This was a really shady situation as I was randomly pull into a room and told I no longer had a job at Glassdoor (given no explanation whatsoever about why I was let go). Leadership said one sentence and then left the room, it was gutless. I do not know who was truly behind this or why I was let go. I went back to collect my things and the entire side of the office was cleared out so I could not interact with anyone. Just a terrible situation while working at a company that preached transparency and living by G.R.I.T. This was just like a company with a bad GD rating, there were no values I was just a number to them.

I had two former colleagues in the interview process with GD and had to tell them that I was let go out of nowhere without any information given to me. It did not make GD look very good at all.

A lot of things were said about this company and my team being a family but frankly this was not my experience based on the results of my employment. Dealing with HR was not pleasant at all either. They shut off my Cobra when they were not supposed to and were just difficult to deal with in general. Oh and I think in general because its a young company, there is a lot of drinking together and for me personally I feel like it set me back not being in that crowd as I don't drink much.

And of course after all that they just sell the company a month after my termination so that may have certainly played a factor in things as well. Apparently its all about the all mighty dollar and selling out to a foreign company.

Overall I would say I just wish things went differently, I felt ok most of the time and enjoyed being there and just battled through these issues thanks to the support of my teammates. I never would have thought this company being who they are and what they represent would have treated me like this. Be careful.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are real people, to this day I still do not really know why I am no longer working at GD. I have certainly moved on but management treated me like some puppet and gave me a pink slip for no reason. They did not even have the balls to tell me the truth about what happened. It would have been a lot easier on me if I had known why but they just didn't care enough about me to tell me. That says a lot about who this company really is. All I did was come to work everyday and work my butt off and hit my numbers but that did not matter to them.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We believe Glassdoor is a special place where our employees have a great opportunity to thrive and excel and it's... More

"Founded to empower Orgs to be their best, so we should focus on BEING the best"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership has a lot on their plate, but the learning and leadership opportunities are there for anyone willing to put in the extra effort! Great options for daily free lunch if you are lucky enough to work in Mill Valley. Nearly all of the employees here feel passionate about working in an environment of empowerment, collaboration, focus, fun, and friendship.

Cons

I've been working 10-12 hour days just to keep up. Executive leadership is a little cliquey and their style of communication can be condescending, even if the workforce is marginally younger. Problems tend to be ignored even when employees are calling them out. Senior management tend to have the only say.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, foster an atmosphere that empowers a level playing field, you will be surprised how many great ideas and what an amazing impact your non-senior/ non-executive staff will make in regards to our product, environment, and overall future. We are building this together... empower us!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

We really appreciate you sharing your honest feedback. Listening to our employees and empowering them to share ideas and improvements is something that is very important to us. We will take your... More

"Big picture looks bright but there are elephants in the room"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome leadership, free lunch, healthy snacks, mostly genuinely motivated/hardworking teams. Great perks, off-site events, and work that really feels like it matters.

Cons

Recently quite a few job descriptions have changed significantly with major additions to workload (massive amounts of training (internal and new hires), proposed QBRs, individual projects, strategic proactive work as well as formal consulting, etc. The changes are welcome and exciting, but our compensation and potential for commission should be addressed. We're all working really hard (which is constantly stated in meetings) but if we're not going to be rewarded and taken care of for our hard work then I suspect more people will leave.
    The CS org is not allowed to work from home on a regular basis which frustrating. The most popular commuter benefit was recently cut and most other options tack on at least an extra hour each way. With the $7 daily bridge toll/gas/traffic commuting out to Mill Valley it would be extremely helpful and appreciated if we could have more flexibility in being able to WFH. With both slack and weekly communication with our managers regarding our current standing we should be trusted to behave like adults and be able to manage workflow outside of the office. Other teams openly do so and have said it has greatly impacted their stress level/productivity/and work-life/balance.

Advice to Management

The office location element paired with a heavier workload and lack of flexibility in scheduling will cause friction over time. Be mindful of both the recent changes in workload as well as the general vibe amongst your new and old employees. With a couple incredible people recently deciding to leave I fear that a mass exodus could start to happen again if people don't feel like we're heading in the right direction.

May 15, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Mill Valley CS

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your perspective.

It's great to hear that you're feeling positive about the future of Glassdoor and the Customer... More