Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

"Great perks - but they still need to figure out how to transition from a start-up to an actual business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - free food, free benefits, dogs in office.

Cons

Start-up mentality is hindering this company to expand to it's full potential. For the years of existence this company has - they should be a global platform widely known across the board. I still come across people who have no idea who or what Glassdoor is. (And these folks are top in the tech industry.)

Advice to Management

Stop thinking as a start-up and start thinking as a corporation. Also stop spreading yourselves short. Trying to be involved in every single detail of the day to day business also hinders the ability for executives to see the broader picture and also limits their capabilities of actually being able to push the business forward. Delegate - that is why you have management beneath you to be involved and report back. Some executives try to do more than imaginably possible and it creates rifts between teams and backlogs of action items that need to be pushed forward. In other words - you should really focus on the mission of the company instead of being involved in everyone else's business.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate this feedback and please know that we are listening. I’m sorry to see Glassdoor wasn’t the right place for you and I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. It sounds like we... More

"Not a place for middle managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are pushed to bring your A game to work every day. I worked at Glassdoor for 2 years and in those two years I learned more than I did in other companies. They invest in their employees in different ways including training, time off, free food, gym etc.

Cons

I have mixed feelings about Glassdoor. This is not a place if you are in middle management and want to have vertical growth. Your chances are extremely low regardless of how you perform. You are pressured from the top to do more and at the same time from your junior staff who are mostly millennials and we all know how challenging they can be.

On the other hand, if you want to learn and grow your skills, both functionally and personally, then this could be a great place to work for a few years.

Advice to Management

It is ok to promote from within and not look outside for all upper management positions. Have more trust in your middle management. Be realistic in your expectations. No one wants to grow old waiting for that promotion. Good people will leave as there are plenty of great companies in the bay area. There are some amazing people stuck at the same position for years and when there is an opportunity, it is unfair to hire someone from outside just because they have "done it before".

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate your honest assessment of our career growth opportunities. This is something we’ve taken seriously this year and have since rolled out training programs to make sure everyone is aware of... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you as an individual. I have, on countless occasions, had the opportunity to meet with our CEO and just chat. Get to know him as a person, which is rare! We also have so many great perks, benefits are amazing, promotion opportunities are through the roof, and of course, a GREAT opportunity to make some $$$.

Pros:
     - Lunch on MW & Thurs
     - Catered breakfast for events
     - Snacks on snacks
     - La Croix, Coke, Diet coke, water, coffee
     - KIND OF unlimited PTO - not really though
     - Flexible work hours
     - Work/Life Balance

Cons

This being a "young org" will go through its changes, but this isn't really a con. If you can't roll with the punches, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep killin' it.

Jul 24, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

Thanks for taking the time to share a review! Glad to hear things are going well for you and keep those lines of communication with our CEO and the rest of the team open!

"Not what it's hyped up to be"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Nice people
    Some free snacks/drinks
    lunch 3x week via Seamless

Cons

When I first started at Glassdoor, they sold the dream, and I will admit it was fun at first. Comp has changed significantly as we all know we are underpaid (according to our own tool) and no one is happy anymore. Our comp plan was supposedly changed for the better, but everyone is making less now on this current plan and people are starting to look elsewhere- like competitors where pay is much higher. For the type of industry we are in and what we preach to the companies we work with, the company culture is no where near where it should be. The offices are super cliquey and both offices are boring (if you're looking for a fun modern-day office vibe, look elsewhere.) Chicago is moving to a new one, however it's in a horrible location (nothing nearby) and not so great area. We also have no work from home freedom, which most in this type of role would have. Asking managers for a day off or work from home day is stressful and never seems to be accommodating, but when a manger needs a day off or to work from home- no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Look at your own tool and realize our pay is way below average. How long is this going to take before all of your good employees are gone? Also, have some trust in your employees and let them WFH and have more freedom- we need to practice what we preach!

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your feedback, I’m sorry to hear your frustrations and I hope you know that we are listening, and we hear you. The new Chicago office will be a chance for us to hit refresh and... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time working at Glassdoor. I am surrounded by smart, kind people and it is a pleasure to work with them everyday. Great benefits. Lots of fun activities for employees outside of work. Wonderful lunches and great office space.

Cons

Changes made by management can be very quick and inconsistent.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for writing a review! We’re glad you’re part of this team.

"Fear-Based Work Culture"

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is nice, next to land preserve / ocean with wildlife. Lunch is provided everyday, snacks, small gym, yoga and Crossfit classes.

Cons

This company does not represent its product. The working environment is one of the most toxic I have ever experienced. HR violations are abound and most do not report due to the fear based culture. Higher up managers are known for extremely inappropriate acts and it is astonishing how it is accepted. There are GOOD people at Glassdoor who work extremely hard and their only reward is to be told they arent working hard enough. Emotional deflation is common. After leaving Glassdoor and joining another company I couldn't believe the difference. Being in a positive environment where you are supported and not afraid is incredible. My hope is that others escape Glassdoor and find bliss elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Culture, priorities and respect stems from the top. If the CEO is not engaged with HR and is focused on monetary value employees suffer. Please open your eyes and engage on a human level with your teams. Represent your product.

Aug 28, 2017 – CHRO

Your feedback is incredibly important and I thank you for your candor. I am concerned to learn about what you call violations and if you’re open to it, I’d welcome a conversation to discuss in... More

"Frustrating: Such a Good company that can't get Over the Hump"

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great wellness programs, social events, great middle management,. Company invests a fortune in having the best systems and outside training, and travel budget. Easy to prospect since company's can't ignore their profile. Your managers care about you if you put in effort. There are a couple of easy wins/ one call closes every quarter. The company's concept of helping people find jobs they love is an easy one to promote every day. At the end of the day, the idea is a heck of a great one that changed the game and made millions of people happy in their career.

Cons

Pay and product! Pay: We gave what you said would work a try and even though personally I've been very successful, but I still see a lot of my peer's dejected and out. This "bonus" system is unfair and a way for the company to with hold money until the end of the year. Add to the fact that you can hit your annual number and still not make our lower than average OTE, not good.

Majority of people still can't hit quota, unless we rob peter (next months pipeline) to pay paul, (whatever the gap is) and hurt pipeline. You can make good money here in the higher tiers ( but still be underpaid compared to other ENT roles), however, it will take a lot of time to get there even if you're good In the SMB teir since we a lot out of your control., and the org growing every year doesn't have numbers to a science.

Company always listens and addresses items,, unless the focus groups aren't saying anything, a lot still needs to be fixed.

Product: we've relied so much on our content we haven't done anything impactful. People are tired of posting jobs and hoping they get a good applicant, we should be doing more like our competition.

Advice to Management

Restart rep council since we're spread out so far now. It's a bad look that it doesn't exist anymore when you have reps like me in the trenches every day who have not just been successful here, but struggled as well.

Get rid of bonus plan and retro add it to all base. This will quickly fix morale, and make our pay pretty fair considering the pricing of our products, It's better than doing aggressive discounts at the end of the quarter and contests. How can we find a way to be financially sound yet make our jobs more financially feasible? First our own tool told us how underpaid we were, now the fact that sales hiring is so rough, has to be the final straw.

If we can't afford it, then we need to find a way to not need such a big sales team to bring in the revenue we need to keep going.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I appreciate the way you’ve outlined what’s working for you and what isn’t. The honest truth is that we rolled out a new comp plan and quotas earlier this year to make sure everyone is being paid in... More

"Amazing opportunity, incredible people, some serious setbacks recently"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, Glassdoor is a phenomenal place to work and would be high up on the Best Places to Work list if they weren't the ones curating the list. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering joining. I would love to see some serious improvement on some tough issues, but what company is perfect? All things considered this place can be a great career accelerator. Come help us get to the next level!

Pros:

- The people. 93% of the people you'll meet here are genuine, down to earth, kind, good natured, selfless, intelligent, and always willing to help. I've made some friends for life here.

-Team culture. Largely a function of the wonderful people you'll work with, this is different than overall company culture, this is more about the culture that develops between the individuals you grind with, battling side by side with you day in and day out to get to your numbers. I know this is not applicable to every single team across the company, but all the front line managers that I know here in Chicago aim to develop a fun, winning, close knit team. We truly enjoy each others company, on and off the sales floor.

- The mission. We're a late stage start up with significant funding from top tier investors that know what they're doing, a recognizable brand name in a large profitable market, and a unique product vision that I can sell knowing wholeheartedly it's in the best interest of my client to invest in us. Transparency, employee engagement, employer branding, diversity/inclusion - this is the next frontier for companies that value healthy corporate cultures (and they should, based on research connecting employee satisfaction to productivity and bottom line revenue), whether employers like it or not. First it was free snacks, standing desks, and gym memberships - now it's listening to your employees and (at least creating the appearance of) genuinely caring what they have to say.

- The opportunity. We are a high growth company and if you work hard, succeed in you role, and build authentic relationships with people - there will be opportunity for advancement. That doesn't mean it isn't difficult, you just have to be smart and intentional about how you craft your personal brand and position yourself when the time comes. I will say, the advancement process could use a healthy dose of transparency and over-communication.

- Work life balance. This actually exists here. Need to duck out early at 2 one day? No problem. Want to take a week off for vacation (with proper notice)? Actually encouraged. Need to leave work every day at lunch to walk your dog for an hour? Cool. As long as you are communicating your needs in advance and it's not impacting your results, you will have a flexible, understanding manager.

- Senior sales leadership team. The senior sales leaders at Glassdoor are experienced, communicative, empathetic, and incredibly smart. I believe they have the genuine best interests of the sales team at heart, and I do believe in their vision.

-Company values. This is subjective, but I'm proud to be part of an organization that strives to make a positive impact in the world. Filing an amicus brief against the refugee ban. All the research & work we do around the gender pay gap. Making real strides for pay transparency helping working folks negotiate for higher pay. This stuff matters.

Cons

-Sales Operations in relation to comp/quota/books. We recently had some turnover in Sales Ops, and for the last 4-5 months the side of sales ops that deals with comp/quota/books has been pretty much a complete disaster area for the growth side of the business, if we're being brutally honest. Couldn't be any worse timing with the transition from FY17 to FY18 and new books/plans being created and rolled out. It's devastatingly demoralizing and unspeakably frustrating when the growth sales leadership team top to bottom either has no clue how sales ops is building books, quotas, and comp plans, or has no say in how they do it. How do you build a comp plan without knowing what quotas and books look like? You end up building a comp plan and sales flow that emphasizes retention, when the quotas actually require much more growth. What in the world is going on? When neither your manager, your director, or your SVP can't/won't give you a straight answer for months and months (the quarter was more than halfway over before we got our quota; we still to this day don't completely understand why we're getting paid out less on our deals than last year), its frankly unacceptable. When we ask about it, we get the response: don't worry it will all make sense eventually and in the meantime the bottom line is you have to sell more into your book than last year (even though there's a new sales motion and some people are struggling with basic living expenses while still hitting growth quotas). Accountability works both ways... If we couldn't give you a forecast for the quarter until more than halfway through, we wouldn't be employed here. If we couldn't explain why we didn't hit our target or why we lost a particular deal, we wouldn't be employed here. And yet we're supposed to be okay with a high degree of ambiguity "because we're an agile start up." That excuse for incompetence only goes so far before your top performers are inevitably interviewing elsewhere. I can tell you this - they don't want to. They want to believe in you, sales leaders. We're all looking to you to help us out of this mess, but you don't have much more time.

-Sales ops issues aside, overall compensation is a slight con. Lower base and OTE compared to similar companies and similar roles. But in reality, b/c of the strength of our brand, you're actually more likely to actually hit your OTE than most smaller companies. 6 months ago, I would have told you it's a lock that you'll make up the lower base in more commission/bonuses. But the changes to the comp plan have made me seriously skeptical of the risk. It also remains to be seen whether the equity plan for recent employees will make up the difference.

- SMB customer success. Cases take a full day to escalate from customer support to a customer enablement manager. Client emails us with urgent technical issue that requires resolution immediately, but the process takes 48 hours to resolve. AM's have very little visibility into who their assigned CEM is, what CEMs will or won't do, and who they should talk to when there's a problem with an account because CEMs + account assignments change on a quarterly basis it feels like. We get one presentation a year on this, but then in practice it all falls apart. I don't think the problem is the people, they're all great and strive to help to the best of their ability. It's the process and structure that truly boggles the mind.

-Product performance. Without getting too detailed, some aspects of our products underperform compared to the market and often we struggle to justify ROI with customers. Help us by building a stronger product and improving the type of data we have access to that builds a successful partnership business case.

Advice to Management

Fix comp/quotas/books for the growth team ASAP. Work on building out more customer facing data and more creative ways to slice and dice the data.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review - I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. As you know, we’ve put a major focus on comp and quotas lately and that work is not done... More

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

Jul 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. Glassdoor is now 9 years old and with that age comes more complexity to our business. I share this as we want... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.