Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated February 22, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a positive work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Big Improvement On How Things Were, But Still A Ways To Go"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working the CS at Glassdoor and have seen drastic changes in the department, largely for the better. Under our last VP, things were disorganized, unclear, misguided, and toxic. Colleagues were leaving the department left and right, complaints and bad moods abounded, and I really thought that it was going to continue getting worse. After that director left, the department still floated a bit and there was a lot of confusion for everyone.

However, the past couple of months have been a vast improvement in things for the department. The new VP came in with the right mindset of understanding the business, the company, and the department before making any judgments and enacting changes. I respect that he wants our department to be agile and evolve on the fly as necessary (while it may seem that some initiatives aren’t fully flushed out, its exciting to be in the thick of it and be kept on our toes). After nearly a year of waiting, we’ve finally been given a clear set of competencies for roles and levels of seniority in our department so that we know what to work on in order to grow. Our managers are receptive to our feedback and do their best to incorporate our ideas into the changes being made, I feel like leadership is really beginning to invest in our professional development, and we’re given freedom to take initiative in making improvements in our day-to-day work.

While the role of CSM can be repetitive at times, being able to explore other interest areas and find ways to incorporate them into our work. The new VP has said that he wants CS to be the pride of Glassdoor and the department people look to join; I feel this is a lofty goal, but it is apparent that he is sincere about and invested in this mission and is making strides towards it. I also appreciate that being in CS affords me a chance to collaborate with other teams and departments.

For Glassdoor as a whole, I feel like things were going downhill kind of quickly a few months back in terms of morale and the uncertainty of the direction the company was taking, but I feel that the ship has leveled and increased transparency and engagement from Robert and other leadership are starting to have a good impact.

Also can’t complain about great work-life balance, dogs, and free parking and lunch.

Cons

Pay could be better and 401k match would be nice, and while I’d like to be making more, some of the aforementioned perks make up for it, not to mention unlimited PTO and full benefits.

Communication on initiatives and collaboration across departments could use improvement; I often feel that conversations or requests are routed up and over through leadership instead of directly between employees.

From what I’ve heard, things have been tough on the Sales side, between quotas and the products available to sell. Updates to the product that employers care about should be prioritized, especially differentiators in our jobs product that can better track and deliver quality candidates instead of increased to drive volume and reduce costs per applicant (we’ll never beat Indeed on those). We need to be stronger in pushing the value and measurement of employer brand and employee engagement and tie that to the jobs product.

I’d also like to see more collaboration and engagement between offices, especially for Mill Valley & Chicago CS teams.

And please, do something about the sales floor. No concrete suggestions here, but there’s something about the setup that contributes to a weird vibe at times where it can extremely loud or uncomfortably quiet. I think the layout could be better to contribute to collaboration and an increased sense of connectivity (other teams feel very far from each other and infer this inhibits a sense of community).

Advice to Management

Be more transparent more regularly. Really invest in the development of your employees: they’re your greatest asset. The attrition rate needs to really cut back and we need to let people know they are valued, that their development is being invested in, and that they have a clear and promising path to grow their career at Glassdoor).

Please invest in a better version of Tableau (and coffee machines).

Jan 22, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Mill Valley CSM

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on working in Customer Success at Glassdoor. It's fantastic to hear that you're feeling positive about the progress we've... More

"Awesome leadership & great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing CEO (Robert) who really cares for the team members and is extremely genuine in trying to create a great platform for people to use in searching for a company. I loved the collaborative environment, flexibility to own your stuff, and the challenge to be at the forefront of building great software. Thanks for the awesome experience.

Cons

I worked a lot, but this was mostly my own desire - I didn't feel micro-managed in any way, I just loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership and keep pushing the industry to create transparency for the world.

Nov 29, 2017 – Co-Founder and CEO

It's awesome to hear such positive feedback! We truly value our employees and really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience during your time with us. We have a lot... More

"International Content & Community Associate"

Former Employee - International Content & Community Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Glassdoor is being part of an uplifting and dynamic team that is dedicated to disrupt the old standards of how to find a job you love. Also, Glassdoor has great benefits: bring your dog to work, a full gym and game room, complimentary catered lunch each day are just a few to mention. In the content department, there is the opportunity to work outside the office, as long as expectations are met. I loved my co-workers and can honestly say there was not ever any drama within the team and team support was natural and genuine. Very much enjoyed my time there. When the company made a business decision to consolidate operations, they offered a nice severance package and I came away with a much better knowledge on how to go about finding that next job and how to negotiate my salary using “Know Your Worth” on Glassdoor’s website. The overall best benefit!

Cons

99% of my time I spent in front of my computer, and the work was repetitive. I did have the flexibility to clock in and out of projects during the day, but you are still expected to produce a full 8 hours of high quality work. In my position, the lack of creativity did dull my drive and my attention would wander... This is not a reflection on the company, but a reflection of the particular position that I was in. If you are a people person, want to move around a lot and are fueled by challenges, than another department such as sales, may be a better fit.

Advice to Management

Keep going - it's working! And, THANK YOU for the opportunity.

Nov 6, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. We strive to walk our talk and provide a positive working environment for our employees. It's so good to hear that you felt genuinely supported and a... More

"Great Team Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with a team that pulls for everyone's success.

Cons

The on-boarding process could be a little more streamlined.

Oct 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your review. We are constantly working to improve our on-boarding process and would be interested in hearing any feedback you would be willing to share on how we can streamline the... More

"Drained and Confused"

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- straightforward product to sell
    - notoriety with job seekers gives us a chance to sell against LinkedIn and Indeed
    - hardworking individual contributors who can be friends outside of the office if that is your style
    - Great office locations nationally and internationally (SF, Chicago, London, Dublin, Ohio)
    - Admirable senior leadership team that will offer mentorship, guidance and encouragement when you ask for it

Cons

- Politics: favoritism is rampant and cadres closest with upper management gets the first look at promotions
    - Profitability: seems to be an issue because we are cutting back on employee perks
    - Accountability: Managers are stretched thin but when they make almost 200k and when you do the office work they ask from you, you expect them to do at least the things they say they will do
    - Patronizing: clap twice if you agree with me

Advice to Management

Robert. You missed a good opportunity to be a real person today with your Chicago office. Delivering that news is a difficult task but you hid behind a subordinate yet again.

Please apologize to the new hires who now feel duped. Employees that have been here a while unfortunately are not shocked. We feel embarrassed and disappointed.

Rich Barton would say "swing big". We seem to keep swinging and missing.

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for the feedback.

Internal promotions are a huge part of coming to work for Glassdoor, and in sales in particular, they are based pretty purely on performance. We will take into account... More

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Uniontown, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly love this company. There is a great culture and I love everyone from the CEO, to my VP, to the people who site next to me everyday at the office. The company treats us so well as employees that sometimes I feel guilty lol. On the other hand, it makes me really appreciate my job and motivates me to bust my but to do a great job in return. Great culture, great benefits, great work/life balance and work from home option (within reason), and a great team of people. It's amazing to me looking back on how far this company has come in the 3 short years I've worked here. We have tons of fun and work really hard. There is a sea of growth potential here both personally and professionally- from round table discussions, to on line learning, to leadership workshops. Glassdoor lives their mission.

Cons

The pace at which things change can seem rattling at times, but that's start up life. On the other hand, it's really cool to be a part of figuring it all out and building processes. I've also learned how to be more adaptable as a human being and manager as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. And remember there are just some people who will never be happy or satisfied no matter what you do. From me personally, thank you for everything you do for us!

Oct 12, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks for this awesome review. We are so glad you are part of the team. Our Ohio office is incredible and have such an important role in making Glassdoor a great site for employees.

"Finally, A Company That Feels Like Home"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 15 years in my career, I've finally found a company that truly fits 96% if not more of my needs, wants and desires. It is the perfect place for me in my life right now, professionally and personally. I used to think that a job could only be but so good -- that it could only satisfy two of the three major requirements (pay, people and project). My husband says that he learned in business school that you will, in fact, only ever get two of the three. However, I have found all three at Glassdoor. A great salary, funny/hard-working people and a project or work product that challenges me every day and gives me the autonomy I've been looking for.

It's a senior start-up, as I like to say. Glassdoor has the nimbleness of a start-up with none of the uncertainty. It has the professional polish of a large company without the politics or bureaucracy. It's a great place for those who know what they want and have the drive, passion and mid-career experience to make it happen.

Cons

As a member of the marketing organization, I don't experience many of the downsides that others might. Overall it's a very strong organization. However, to provide balance, here are the areas that need improvement:
    -Clear focus on business objectives and resources. While there is so much to do with the product and in the space, Glassdoor is only 750 people. Prioritization is key. To do everything we want to do, we'll have to either focus on the 80-20 rule more, or hire more people.

-Location. I love working on the waterfront, but the commute is hard for 85% of the company in Mill Valley. A larger SF office with opportunities to work from there would be great not only for current staff but for our recruitment and retention efforts.

-People of Color. No need to beat around the bush, I'm not talking about "diversity." I'm referring to actual people of color in our ranks. We need more. We have diversity of thought, gender, socio-economic status, etc. However, Glassdoor truly struggles with hiring and retaining people of color. It's no longer okay to say that we're not as big as our contemporaries and, therefore, cannot put the emphasis on hiring people of color. It's imperative to our innovation and growth that we invest in racially diverse communities.

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

I am so glad you’re part of this team! Words like these help remind all of us why we come to work every day and I’m so happy to see this job is the right fit for you.

Your review is a great... More

"Trending in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have hired some truly amazing people in the last 10 months who are going to take our Chicago office to the next level of awesomeness! We are also moving to our new Fulton market office, and I cannot wait!!!
    2016 had its challenges as we were figuring out a lot of new things. Being in a new location with a new team lead by new managers had it's not so happy moments, but we are reaping the rewards now.

Cons

Not entirely sure what the parking situation will be like at the new office, but rumor has it that it won't be as good as we have it now.

Advice to Management

Chicago is one of the main reasons the company is doing so well. With the growth we are seeing and the $$$ we pull in, please hook us up with food on Tuesday and Fridays.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for being part of our awesome team in Chicago. You’re right, it’s moving fast and we’ve hired some great folks who will take us to the next level. Appreciate your help!

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and I could not ask for a better team to work with or to be a part of. When I started, we had a great culture and really embraced the growing start up vibe. On a team level we are there to help each other every step of the way.

Cons

Our comp plan was recently changed to the point where many of us cannot afford to live. We are completely underpaid and under appreciated. Pay us less and expect us to do more? Not really a good way to run a business.

I would not recommend joining the company at this time. They are so focused on becoming public that they have lost their full sense of what Glassdoor is about. We preach transparency but recently we have all been in the dark. Suddenly there is something announced that is a major change. Management says they had no idea, but how can you run a business keeping your managers and directors our of the loop? Sounds a bit fishy.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor spends a ton of time trying to find the right fit, treating us the way you currently are is not going to help keep good employees around or hire the "right fit".

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you took the time to write and I’m sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected. As we examine our comp & quotas to make sure we’re getting this right, what keeps me motivated are the... More

"Great perks - but they still need to figure out how to transition from a start-up to an actual business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - free food, free benefits, dogs in office.

Cons

Start-up mentality is hindering this company to expand to it's full potential. For the years of existence this company has - they should be a global platform widely known across the board. I still come across people who have no idea who or what Glassdoor is. (And these folks are top in the tech industry.)

Advice to Management

Stop thinking as a start-up and start thinking as a corporation. Also stop spreading yourselves short. Trying to be involved in every single detail of the day to day business also hinders the ability for executives to see the broader picture and also limits their capabilities of actually being able to push the business forward. Delegate - that is why you have management beneath you to be involved and report back. Some executives try to do more than imaginably possible and it creates rifts between teams and backlogs of action items that need to be pushed forward. In other words - you should really focus on the mission of the company instead of being involved in everyone else's business.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate this feedback and please know that we are listening. I’m sorry to see Glassdoor wasn’t the right place for you and I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. It sounds like we... More