Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 47 reviews)

• One of the components I love is the ability to work from home (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains within the organization (in 29 reviews)

• Low base pay compared to similar positions in the bay area, lots of change as company pushes towards IPO which can be stressful (in 17 reviews)

"Great Place to Help Write Your Own Destiny"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has been awesome for me in my time here. The firm takes note of issues and acts quickly to resolve them. 2016 was the first time the company experienced a slowdown in growth (although still growing rapidly) and seeing the response to this slowdown from senior leadership was incredible to witness.

Robert, Brad and Kate are all studs and it is exciting to work for the vision they (and I) share.

Cons

Operational processes are not good. A fast growing company will always experience issues like this, and senior leadership has hired extremely smart and credentialed people to help resolve these challenges. However, until improved, it is still a challenge. (not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination).

Advice to Management

2016 needs to be treated as the year that opened eyes. Addressing employee complaints head on, determining what compensation structure to go with long term, and focusing on not sleeping until key growth drivers are identified and a plan is devised to achieve said plans.

Jan 31, 2017 – Chief Revenue Officer

Thanks for the helpful feedback, 2016 was a pivotal year! As we go into 2017, one of my goals is to continue to get smarter about our operations and allow some of the great folks we've hired this ... More

"Fun to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch, Good engineering company. Believes in Engineers. Close to city but not in city. Talented co-workers.

Cons

Did not find very innovative, Engineering job is challenging but not very challenging. You learn new things but after a time it just remain the same learning curve becomes flat.

"Over one year in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Fantastic company culture
    * Strong momentum / prospects

Cons

* Still amidst the process of upgrading talent but we are making great progress and have some fantastic people on board

"Lacks Accountability to reach potential. On the brink of real success if they could bring in some real sales energy."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, strong engineering team, intelligent people. Has the makings to be a great company.

Cons

Runs like a small company that has inexperienced sales leadership. No strategic sales leaders. They can't bring in the industry level leadership needed because they are not willing to pay the salary of what that would cost. CEO gives visionary speeches of the product, but does not hold his leaders accountable. Somehow, there has been no sales leadership change when they have drastically underperformed with no plans of how they will change that. Much of this comes from the fact that majority of them do not have the experience to lead a sales organization. In my time there, I do not recall I time where I saw a leader inspire and LEAD. Having a great product doesn't pay off if you don't have the people that know how to sell it. How can you expect these leaders to succeed when the company is much larger if they can't succeed now?

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions and don't be afraid to remove leadership that does not perform and meet goals. Sales reps are held to performance standards and the same should be done for their leaders. Stop accepting mediocre success and demand performance of what an industry leading company requires. You don't just need top engineers... Also, move out of Mill Valley and into San Francisco. You have to spend money to make money.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

It’s unfortunate that Glassdoor ended up not being a fit for you, but we appreciate you taking the time to provide this candid feedback. This is a team that has grown considerably - in numbers and in ... More

"Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company with great benefits, family style approach to leading teams and commitment to producing incredible results. Face paced work environment with tons of room for growth and a data-centric mentality. Fantastic leadership team that prides itself in being best in class and committed to improving the way people look for and find jobs!

Cons

Not many. If anything it's the constant juggling of many company initiatives while producing a high quality work product. With so much great work to get done, it can be difficult to say no to things and consistently maintain a great work product. Not for everyone and takes self-starters, efficient work management and people that embrace a feedback rich culture.

Advice to Management

Keep company focused across all teams and work to improve operations and processes!

"The highest highs and the lowest lows"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor made a lasting impact on my career, and set the bar really high for anywhere else I go now.
    The pros of working at Glassdoor start with the people who make up the company. I made some of my best friends here and became a part of the big family. Sounds cliche but we were bonded under a strong vision and belief in bettering peoples lives through transparency.
    Robert was and still is an amazingly inspirational leader. It's hard to find that type of leader and it's certainly not at any old start up out here in the Bay. I feel lucky to have followed Robert for close to three years during our high growth phase.
    Autonomy and a value on work-life balance. We really walked the walk at GD with regards to letting people work how they wanted to just as long as they were getting their job done. I valued the unlimited PTO policy when we still had it.
    A brand and belief that is fundamentally changing the way companies treat and engage with their employees. It's really cool to feel a part of something bigger, and in my own small way as an SDR and then an AE I got to contribute to helping spread our mission and change the HR landscape. This isn't something you come across at every company. And it's a big deal and a reason GD enjoys such loyal employees who "bleed green" and run through brick walls for their company.

Cons

I've struggled with writing this review for 6 months now. I wanted my feedback to be balanced and when I left I had felt a lot of anger that has now subsided. I've been through quite a bit during my almost 3 yrs with Glassdoor and have seen the company change from a crazy fast growth start up to a bigger, more corporate machine.
    Some cons that eventually added up to me departing (and it wasn't an easy choice):
    1) Not being set up for success in sales. I had a particularly rough go of it with a particularly bad territory but managed to hold on until we flattened it (that helped a lot and all the reps who had territories outside of the Bay Area or NYC started hitting quota). I want to make clear that flattening the territories isn't something every company does and I have a ton of admiration for Robert and our sales leadership at the time for their ownership and accountability in fixing the problem. Unfortunately more problems persisted along side and afterwards.
    2) Constant moving targets. Some of this is to be expected as we are in a fast growth company who in a lot of ways is "still figuring it out." The target as of now is hitting an AE2 quota for 1 year before you can become an AE2. Then, you aren't given any actually better accounts or tools to hit your higher quota. What resulted was a bunch of burnt out AEs who get to AE2 and then falter. The AEs who were able to only sit as an AE2 for one quarter were able to mitigate this effect (commonly referred to by all AEs) known as the "AE2 curse." Might be due to point #3.
    3) Crazy rampant politics amongst middle management. Unfortunately there's a couple offenders who treat some of their reps worse than others simply because they didn't suck up to them as much as they would like. We haven't been operating as a meritocracy like we claim to be. It's created a very toxic culture and bred resentment amongst the reps who weren't "favorites."
    4) Managers are ineffective. This was the final straw for me. I stayed through everything listed above because I had a manager that genuinely cared about my success and happiness. Once I was placed under a new manager it wore down my self-esteem, self-worth, and made my one-on-ones a constant chess match of who could "win" the argument. I no longer had anyone in my corner, in fact, after constant threats and snarky remarks it felt like I had an enemy.

Advice to Management

I know what you guys have to do as a company to get to the next level. It hurts that I couldn't find a way to continue on with you on your journey. I still have the utmost respect in Robert, Kate, and the leaders who have got us through the hard times the past couple years.
    A couple points to think on:
    Attrition shouldn't be normalized. I get that you have to include it in the model but when folks are leaving left and right, don't sweep it under the rug with a blanket statement like, "we expected people to leave, we modeled for it" What happened to being treated as more than a number?
    I think we have enough data now to understand that AE2 is a failed experiment. It's time to start evaluating how you're supporting reps going into different career paths and not just getting burnt out with no advancement opportunities in sight.
    Give your managers and leaders more training and development. GD grew like crazy and now we have individual contributors in their first manager role with no idea what they're doing or how to lead effectively. The endless meetings aren't helping their development.
    Sniff out and put a stop to the politics going on. Glassdoor is better than this petty nonsense.
    Overall, don't stop doing the things that made this company successful in the first place which was by and large, taking care of your people.

I bought all my stock because I believe in you guys. Just figure out some of those issues and you'll be back on track with a sales team that will continue to "run through brick walls" for you. I'll be cheering on from the sidelines. Much respect.

Jan 25, 2017 – VP Sales

I'm really glad to hear this place made such a lasting impact on your career. Sounds like you made great friends and learned a lot along the way. As cliche as it sounds, I'm reminded time and time ... More

"Growing too fast, lack of competence in key roles at all levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a young, dynamic place and offers pretty good benefits. Pre-ipo, so they offer stock options to top up the low salaries.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that there are a bunch of managers who are obviously inexperienced, incompetent and untrained. Upper management hires people like crazy, works them hard, then treats them like crap. They are so intent on improving the bottom line they keep screwing things up then laying people off to act like they're being fiscally responsible. The incompetence of some of the key managers (even in the executive suite) is truly scary!

Advice to Management

Stop focusing just on getting to profitability and train your management team to build a sustainable company, or you'll end up as just another failed tech flameout.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for this candid feedback. I hear your frustration and I want you to know we are committed to increasing training and development for our managers across the organization. One of the great ... More

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Love the people I work with, everyone on my team works really well together! I am excited to see where the company is headed.

Cons

There is a common english saying "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" meaning there are some things that you should not do even if you are able to do them. Just because you are knowledgable in the Glassdoor products and processes does not mean you should be a manager or leader. I will never doubt the manager that I have in their knowledge about Glassdoor, but as a leader they have very few leadership skills. Where are the surveys? quarterly, yearly reviews to give feedback on management? I have to submit self reviews, but you would think that getting feedback from a team about their leader would be imperative.

I get nervous to do anything that is not how my manager thinks for fear of retaliation. I have had leaders in past jobs that I have learned so much from. I have adapted skill sets, learned about the company how I could move up in them, put together strategic plans to get to where I wanted to be, collaborated etc. I feel like the "black sheep" of my team. I am not sure if its because I speak out, but I am definitely targeted or spoken to in a way that my other teammates are not. I definitely don't feel supported in my role.

It takes days to get a reply to an email and half the time you don't even know where your manager is to ask a question.

Training? Wiki? Useless tools. The wiki is so unorganized and there are so many things in it that haven't been updated in years. It really grinds my gears when I ask a question and the reply I get is "Did you check the wiki?" Yes I have. I am coming to you for help because you are my leader and you are knowledgable but if you cant take the time to help me then why are you in management? I would love to get involved in adapting a better training program, I think its vital to an organization and I believe would lead a lot of people down a better path if they started with better tools and resources. Not only the tools and resources but how to use them in a more efficient way.

You hired me for a reason and saw skill sets in me that would be a good asset to this organization and team, so when I come to your for help/ express my concerns that I may not be comprehending a task, I need a visual explanation on it or just need some more clarity, I shouldn't feel foolish for wanting to be more knowledgable in my role or for wanting to understand something better.

Advice to Management

I don't think that most people actually have the skills to be strong leaders. Work with us more, be collaborative, be clear about expectations, show empathy, be open to new ideas etc. Does this reflect on my leader or does it reflect on the organization as a whole? Maybe Glassdoor doesn't do a great job at teaching leaders how to lead. If thats the case, what can we do to help our managers and leaders be better? What about asking your team how they want to be managed? I have been asked that in previous roles and its helped to build a better relationship from the start, just a thought.

Jan 6, 2017 – Chief Revenue Officer

I appreciate your detailed feedback and I am sorry your ramping in your role has not met your expectations. We have several new managers in rolls across the organization and are working to provide ... More

"Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pros: catered lunch, gym (small one though), waterfront views, free parking

Cons

Salaries are much less than the average for the area, no 401k matching, mid-level managers are inexperienced, very little equity is offered to the key contributors

Advice to Management

Many people are unhappy with their salaries. Not without reason. Revisit the salary gap.

"Worried About the Current Morale & Future Plans for Customer Success Team"

Current Employee - Customer Success Team Member in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Team Member in Mill Valley, CA

Pros

The biggest pro of working at Glassdoor is the intention and purpose behind the product. Our mission is more than helping people find jobs they love, it's about helping employers identify their strengths and weaknesses and how they can succeed as a company in driving new talent and keeping their employees happy.

When CEM'S/CSM's get on a call with customers and are able to un-surface insights that employers never realized before and are able to strategize on ways to improve their ratings and engage their employee base-that is a WIN and that is what drives majority of the team and reminds them why this role is important and needed.

Glassdoor as a product isn't the most intuitive so customers need a CSM/CEM to act as their partner and consultant to help them make sure they are getting the most value and ROI. To the surprise of sales and leadership (Robert, specifically), CEM/CSM's drive a lot of value for our customers...and it's not just a matter of pushing CPC's up and down like a robot.

So when this team gets the chance to speak to customers, uncover insights, drive home value, and be positioned to make an impact-that is a pro and that's what will drive this team.

Our new VP of customer success-she's trying her hardest, she's trying to drive home the strategic value of CEM'S/CSM's...maybe it's rubbing off the wrong way for some, but at least she is trying to open the company's eyes to our value as a team.

Cons

The con's: as of lately, there are many. And the pro I listed above is rarely happening because our CEO sees no value in the CS team and continually pigeon holes this team as CPC bid adjusters with little value to add. This view then trickles down to the sales leadership team who then also treats the CS team as their glorified secretaries and limits the team to make any strategic input with customers.
    But, here's the problem...the CSM/CEM team is over it, if you really think the value of this team is so marginal...then you hired the wrong people. The people on this team are smart, innovative, strategic, and dedicated to Glassdoor...and you give them no way to drive value.

Robert-you have to read this review and understand that your lack of perceived value of this team has immense impact on morale. You can claim that yes of course you care and you value this team, but we know what happens in those QBR's and we know deep down you just want a team that obsesses over pace and if things aren't perfect and if budgets aren't being spent-that's the fault of the CS team. Did we ever consider that perhaps, Glassdoor growth in terms of traffic could be a factor? Or perhaps that our tool never works and is constantly running into bugs? Or that our search results surface job board and organic jobs above sponsored jobs? There's only so much that can be done as a CSM/CEM and if the goal is to hire bots to sit and adjust cpc's-then you should fire all these people....because they are too talented, too driven, too strategic, and too smart to sit in a company that doesn't value them.

Morale is low. Super low. People are leaving left and right, and something will have to change to keep this team motivated. More and more tasks are being asked of CSM's and none of them are strategic or insightful...it's more busy work and reports that could be automated.

The CS managers are not strong. All they do is acquiesce to the VP...and if you want to build a relationship with your team, then they need to know you're fighting for them on their behalf. Too many things are falling on our plates without any insight into the impact of the day to day. This team can't be successful if we don't enable the team to be successful. CS managers are spread too thin, they manage far too many CSM's and are unable to be help their team grow professionally. We should have more managers who can really help drive value to certain client scenarios and be that advocate. And we should be hiring managers that really challenge and evaluate why we are doing certain things and un-surfacing potential issues (rather than right now, it's all just so reactive)

Performance reviews are such a joke. All we're told all year is "great work, good job, nothing to report on here". As a result, the team comes into their performance reviews expecting a raise or promotion and they get nothing. There is no real time feedback and CSM managers have nothing to add. You have to give insight into how to grow professionally and this should be feedback that is happening throughout the year!!! It appears that the only way to really grow on this team is to throw a hissy fit and threaten to quit...which has worked for some on this team, and not for others.

Advice to Management

VP of CS: You need to hire more CSM managers. The mgrs you have are fine, but they aren't helpful and they don't have time to help their team or be connected to them.

Robert: You need to spend time with CSM's/CEM's to understand what we face everyday and how there is so much more room to grow to help drive value. If you don't want to do that and you really feel this role should be CPC-bid adjuster based, then tell us that to our face and those that want and need more will leave...because it's just a waste of time for us to stay.

VP of sales-we need to re-define how AM's perceive their roles, because a lot of them are playing CSM and as a result not hitting their crazy high quotas. They need to focus on selling and feel comfortable letting go.

Aug 4, 2016 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for writing this review. I addressed most of this in the CSM all-hands this morning, but let me recap it here: CSM's, as well as support and implementation, are a critical part of the ... More