Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated October 16, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

"It doesn't get better"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I don't feel like I have to separate my work from my life... working at Glassdoor is just a part of my life and I love every single second of it.
    - I don't ever work more than 40 hours/week, and I get paid more than most people doing a similar job at other tech companies
    - Quota is extremely attainable, and once you exceed your quota get ready for VERY aggressive accelerators

Long story short, Glassdoor fits my life extremely well. I'm able to provide a comfortable life for my family, while also being able to spend significant time with them.

Cons

- Historically hasn't been great training support for SDR's, however that is changing, as we recently added a SDR Sales Trainer to our team
    - Office is getting so big that its almost impossible to get to know everyone

Advice to Management

Invest more resources into on-boarding. First impressions are everything, and its important we create a great experience for our new hires!

"A lot of promises but no delivery- Growth Team"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I went through a lot to get this role at Glassdoor on the growth team. My teammates were really great people and did a lot to help me get up and running.
    -Solid product and mission
    -Good benefits
    - Fun office atmosphere and perks
    -Competitive pay

Cons

I have a lot of them because my experience was pretty awful in the end. For starters, after receiving the offer, they were tiptoeing around the idea of pulling the offer back but eventually they did not ( I can't remember the exact wording but it was very confusing). They changed my start date 3 times. It took them a month and half to decide whether or not I had a guarantee or not for the first few months I was not on book. Once they did decide to give me one (it was generous) they changed the amount on me 2 times. Training was pretty good but I wish they would have had more of a focus on the growth side of the house. It was set up for new biz.

Leadership had told me they wanted to hit the road with me and I planned a long trip in my territory only to have them bail on me last minute. I performed well on my own but it was just sign of how upper management effects the day to day big time with their last minute asks. I feel like no matter what I did it was never enough, I brought back a solid verbal from a client that we were going to grow an additional 80% and I got flack for it. I felt really good about all the work I put in and the result was really big for my book and team but the feedback I got was that I needed to push the client even harder.

This all came to a head when I was let go without any prior warning or notice, despite being lauded company wide just a few weeks before for hitting my monthly quota. Just days before I was also told I had been performing well and had been great a receiving the coaching management had provided to me. I also had forecasted to crush my goal for the current month, so there were no signs of poor performance. Additionally, in the weeks prior to this management had laid out a program that had specific criteria we needed to hit to be in "good standing" and it was mentioned that there would be conversations along the way if an individual was not meeting those standards. I never had any of those conversations.

This was a really shady situation as I was randomly pull into a room and told I no longer had a job at Glassdoor (given no explanation whatsoever about why I was let go). Leadership said one sentence and then left the room, it was gutless. I do not know who was truly behind this or why I was let go. I went back to collect my things and the entire side of the office was cleared out so I could not interact with anyone. Just a terrible situation while working at a company that preached transparency and living by G.R.I.T. This was just like a company with a bad GD rating, there were no values I was just a number to them.

I had two former colleagues in the interview process with GD and had to tell them that I was let go out of nowhere without any information given to me. It did not make GD look very good at all.

A lot of things were said about this company and my team being a family but frankly this was not my experience based on the results of my employment. Dealing with HR was not pleasant at all either. They shut off my Cobra when they were not supposed to and were just difficult to deal with in general. Oh and I think in general because its a young company, there is a lot of drinking together and for me personally I feel like it set me back not being in that crowd as I don't drink much.

And of course after all that they just sell the company a month after my termination so that may have certainly played a factor in things as well. Apparently its all about the all mighty dollar and selling out to a foreign company.

Overall I would say I just wish things went differently, I felt ok most of the time and enjoyed being there and just battled through these issues thanks to the support of my teammates. I never would have thought this company being who they are and what they represent would have treated me like this. Be careful.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are real people, to this day I still do not really know why I am no longer working at GD. I have certainly moved on but management treated me like some puppet and gave me a pink slip for no reason. They did not even have the balls to tell me the truth about what happened. It would have been a lot easier on me if I had known why but they just didn't care enough about me to tell me. That says a lot about who this company really is. All I did was come to work everyday and work my butt off and hit my numbers but that did not matter to them.

Aug 13, 2018 – VP, Enterprise Sales

First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We believe Glassdoor is a special place where our employees have a great opportunity to thrive and excel and it's... More

"Founded to empower Orgs to be their best, so we should focus on BEING the best"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior leadership has a lot on their plate, but the learning and leadership opportunities are there for anyone willing to put in the extra effort! Great options for daily free lunch if you are lucky enough to work in Mill Valley. Nearly all of the employees here feel passionate about working in an environment of empowerment, collaboration, focus, fun, and friendship.

Cons

I've been working 10-12 hour days just to keep up. Executive leadership is a little cliquey and their style of communication can be condescending, even if the workforce is marginally younger. Problems tend to be ignored even when employees are calling them out. Senior management tend to have the only say.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, foster an atmosphere that empowers a level playing field, you will be surprised how many great ideas and what an amazing impact your non-senior/ non-executive staff will make in regards to our product, environment, and overall future. We are building this together... empower us!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

We really appreciate you sharing your honest feedback. Listening to our employees and empowering them to share ideas and improvements is something that is very important to us. We will take your... More

"Big picture looks bright but there are elephants in the room"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome leadership, free lunch, healthy snacks, mostly genuinely motivated/hardworking teams. Great perks, off-site events, and work that really feels like it matters.

Cons

Recently quite a few job descriptions have changed significantly with major additions to workload (massive amounts of training (internal and new hires), proposed QBRs, individual projects, strategic proactive work as well as formal consulting, etc. The changes are welcome and exciting, but our compensation and potential for commission should be addressed. We're all working really hard (which is constantly stated in meetings) but if we're not going to be rewarded and taken care of for our hard work then I suspect more people will leave.
    The CS org is not allowed to work from home on a regular basis which frustrating. The most popular commuter benefit was recently cut and most other options tack on at least an extra hour each way. With the $7 daily bridge toll/gas/traffic commuting out to Mill Valley it would be extremely helpful and appreciated if we could have more flexibility in being able to WFH. With both slack and weekly communication with our managers regarding our current standing we should be trusted to behave like adults and be able to manage workflow outside of the office. Other teams openly do so and have said it has greatly impacted their stress level/productivity/and work-life/balance.

Advice to Management

The office location element paired with a heavier workload and lack of flexibility in scheduling will cause friction over time. Be mindful of both the recent changes in workload as well as the general vibe amongst your new and old employees. With a couple incredible people recently deciding to leave I fear that a mass exodus could start to happen again if people don't feel like we're heading in the right direction.

May 15, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Success

Dear Mill Valley CS

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your perspective.

It's great to hear that you're feeling positive about the future of Glassdoor and the Customer... More

"Great place overall, but my department was not what Glassdoor advertises as an employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free catered lunch. Incredible spot in Mill Valley. Open PTO. Many teams doing things that are either bleeding edge or incredibly innovative, making it feel like everything you do, shows in how the business is growing.

CEO is energetic, down to earth, personable, and approachable. Had constant company wide conversations about the direction of the company, and then individual conversations with each department about how the direction impacts them.

Salary for the Bay Area was a little lower than average, but we were not located in San Francisco so most areas were more affordable. Medical/Dental/Vision benefits are 100% if you are single, but are about average if you have a family.

Cons

No 401k match. Next to no food near the office, in the event the catered food was awful or was a day there was no lunch.

Certain teams have management stubborn to the extent of failure. I was brought in as an engineer assigned to re-architect a underpowered and aged environment, to make it scalable, sustainable, and efficient.

Every step of the way, road blocks from my direct manager included undermining my technical experience in lieu of their seniority, constantly assigning tasks that exceeded a 60 hour a week workload, was completely unorganized in assigning priority to tasks that were newly assigned every week.

For example, a task I was assigned to work on 2 weeks ago that was said to have the highest priority, was suddenly de-prioritized and had another task assigned in its place. However there was an expectation that I would still need to complete the previous tasks with the same sense of urgency, if not more.

This made it nearly impossible to complete any project, and was told that I had an inability to complete tasks or assignments, which (in their opinion) was a display of poor performance on my behalf. This made it feel as though I should not believe in a work/life balance, and should not only spend time at work doing tasks/projects, but spend a significant amount of time at home doing the same. There was an "always online" mentality that stemmed through the team, and it made some of the team members feel completely exhausted in their position.

When trying to own a project or have a stake in decision making as far as architecture and technology used for items that I was directly responsible for, this was routinely made for me. My input was often dismissed, with the reasoning being I had not done my research or that I needed a thorough report written in order to even acknowledge my input as an item of discussion.

The executive management my team directly reported to often had completely opposing ideologies and opinions (versus my direct manager) on priority regarding my tasks, responsibilities, and the type of technology and architecture we should be/could be implementing to better the company. At my resignation, much of the "issues" that were reflect upon my performance, were in complete opposition to what I was directly told by the executive management of my team. It left me feeling a little lost, and as though the treatment in my current situation was personal.

I did not, however, see this sort of management or attitude on other teams. I do believe Glassdoor is an incredible organization to work for, that can provide ample opportunity to many different people. I do not, however, believe that my specific department is one of the successful areas of the business due to the aggressive management style that seemingly suppresses creative thought or individual input in their roles, duties, or ability to make decisions for the team.

Advice to Management

Robert is a great CEO. He has an innate ability to rally the troops and motivate the entire company. Really enjoyed the town halls and his energy.

Without using names or departments, there needs to be a process that arbiters from HR can be involved with. Managers and executive management who speak with employees individually need to be synced. In my particular situation, it felt like I was spoken to by my direct manager and executive manger, both of which had completely different opinions on my performance, priority of and number of tasks, and concerns in what was causing the lack of accomplishment, which resulted in what felt like a hostile and volatile situation that forced me out of my position.

May 18, 2018

Thanks for the candid feedback.

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t feel empowered because empowering my team is a top priority. Some of our initiatives can be complex, so truth be told, we can... More

"Shocked and Disappointed"

Former Employee - Senior Desktop Support Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Desktop Support Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture and talented people in the Chicago Office. Chicago has some of the most dedicated and loyal people you will meet. Their hard work will inspire you to become better in your role.

Cons

- Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office. Despite growing from 50 employees to over 200 employees in just over a year and with three office moves during that time, department leadership visited only during office moves (for a few hours at most) and never returned, therefore never able to see day to day workload at site during typical days of operation. IT exec leadership cancelled every skip level meeting (1:1) for the past seven months.

- No growth potential - I was stuck doing level 1 work with no ability to work on bigger projects because I was supporting 200+ users by myself. Support employees in remote sites from Corporate are not listened to, compared to team members based in the Corporate office in MV.

- No Transparency - I wanted to stay at Glassdoor but was told there was no room for advancement unless I moved to MV, after I handed in my resignation they upgraded my position to a Lead title (still in Chicago). During my time here I was never given opportunities for development as I was isolated from the team. I enjoyed working with the Chicago office and it was extremely disappointing to have to move on to find personal growth and development - more frustrating watching many other members of the Chicago team being given the chance for personal development, growth and additional responsibilities/promotion

Advice to Management

- For such a small department there have been a lot of departures, find out why

- Spend more time at the remote office to get a clearer picture of day-to-day operations

- When someone resigns, reach out to find out why or at least say goodbye on their last day. My leadership team did neither.

Mar 28, 2018 – Glassdoor's Chief Information Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We take your feedback seriously and as the leader of our information technology team, I take it to heart as a big part of our team’s focus is to... More

"Everyday is a great day!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: Glassdoor has a unique culture that makes you feel as though upper level management is just as accessible as your teammate. Very welcoming culture that sees itself as a community

Building: Beautiful office that makes coming to work every day that much easier

People: Never have I felt uncomfortable asking for help from someone within the org. Everyone here wants to see the company as a whole and its individuals succeed.

Upward Mobility: Specifically in the role of an OSR you are expected to be promoted within a year and my manager has done an incredible job of advocating for that

Supported: I always feel as though my voice is being heard and appreciated. Being a part of the OSR team has been such a fun experience because we are a new team that is figuring out how to meet our full potential. That being said our feedback is an essential part of that process and I genuinely feel like I am a part of something pivotal within the company.

Cons

The role is constantly changing and being adaptable is a must. I love this aspect of the role but the only downside of it is not being able to master one thing and once you feel like you have worked out the kinks and become an expert another change comes along.

Advice to Management

You are awesome and I'm proud to be working with such a great company! I do feel like there is room for improvement in regards to training. Since we are such a new team, there was not much training relevant to the OSR role and it would be great to have more valuable training material.

"Worst job I've ever taken"

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Fairly solid benefits with catered food, gym on site, cell phone stipend, 100% covered health care
    - Beautiful location in MV

Cons

- Everything else. I say with so much regret how much I disliked working here and the negative toll it had on my energy and personal life.
    - Not a company to come in at the mid management role - no conversations about growth and future trajectory even from HR
    - Incredibly micromanaged and siloed work streams - these are two separate issues, but one in the same in they promote tactical and frankly boring job duties. Your job description is exactly your job with no potential to take on more expansive or strategic projects.
    - Did I mention micromanaged? You have very senior leaders pivoting data in tableau and making microscopic decisions that should be happening at a junior level. There seems to be very little trust in senior leaders to delegate and coach to truly have their teams grow.
    - All of these combine to create an environment where teams are siloed (no team or company wide bonding events) - I sat across a person for 3+ months on a different team who never said a single word to me. Again, not a team environment where people are friendly, open and easy to work with, making true cross collaboration tough and forceful.

So who does succeed @ Glassdoor now? The MBA/ops crowd who can be particularly aggressive.

Unfortunately since leaving, I've had several colleagues' friends and friends of friends ask for my input on potentially taking a job at Glassdoor post-offer or in late interview stage. With horror, I recoil and say no, to only hear that they too have heard the same thing across their network. That is a huge issue for the company and recruiting - the word of mouth that occurs after someone leaves. I see open roles on the website that have been open for months to a YEAR (including my former role). Unfortunately my experience is the average and not atypical.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people with diversity (and I don't mean just gender and ethnicity) - hire nice, good people with broad experience/backgrounds. Not everyone has to be fresh out of business school.

Invest in your people with resources, coaching and allowing growth - all of them, not just the 5 hand picked as the golden eggs by senior leaders.

Read your exit interviews - will give you insight into frustrated employees on their way out.

Apr 2, 2018 – Senior Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, we are sorry to hear that Glassdoor was not a great fit for you. One of our key priorities for this year is a focus on career progression and... More

"AWESOME PLACE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work culture / fun environment where you can position yourself for success and really grow within your career. Everyone is very helpful and knowledgable. It really is a great company to work for. Dog friendly office, catered lunches everyday, view of the Bay, kayaks, bikes, gym classes....what more could you want!! Nothing but great things to say!

Cons

Keep doing what you're doing.

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you for writing such a stellar review about Glassdoor. At Glassdoor we continously work on creating an enjoyable and stimulating work environment for all of our employees. Thank you for being a... More

"Overall a pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is great. The people are what make the company, and everyone at the company was a pleasure to work with. Free lunch every day and a pretty relaxing office location in mill valley with an emphasis on wellness.

Cons

The compensation wasn’t the best, with several companies in the area paying several times more than what I was getting at GD. Some of the tech debt had no signs of ever going away, too.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers and take bigger risks in terms of architecture and processes. People want to work on cool things!

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you for the feedback. We value culture highly at Glassdoor and we are always working to cultivate a great and motivating work environment that will help us bring out the best in all of us... More