Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Fear-Based Work Culture"

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is nice, next to land preserve / ocean with wildlife. Lunch is provided everyday, snacks, small gym, yoga and Crossfit classes.

Cons

This company does not represent its product. The working environment is one of the most toxic I have ever experienced. HR violations are abound and most do not report due to the fear based culture. Higher up managers are known for extremely inappropriate acts and it is astonishing how it is accepted. There are GOOD people at Glassdoor who work extremely hard and their only reward is to be told they arent working hard enough. Emotional deflation is common. After leaving Glassdoor and joining another company I couldn't believe the difference. Being in a positive environment where you are supported and not afraid is incredible. My hope is that others escape Glassdoor and find bliss elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Culture, priorities and respect stems from the top. If the CEO is not engaged with HR and is focused on monetary value employees suffer. Please open your eyes and engage on a human level with your teams. Represent your product.

Aug 28, 2017 – CHRO

Your feedback is incredibly important and I thank you for your candor. I am concerned to learn about what you call violations and if you’re open to it, I’d welcome a conversation to discuss in... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time working at Glassdoor. I am surrounded by smart, kind people and it is a pleasure to work with them everyday. Great benefits. Lots of fun activities for employees outside of work. Wonderful lunches and great office space.

Cons

Changes made by management can be very quick and inconsistent.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for writing a review! We’re glad you’re part of this team.

"Frustrating: Such a Good company that can't get Over the Hump"

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great wellness programs, social events, great middle management,. Company invests a fortune in having the best systems and outside training, and travel budget. Easy to prospect since company's can't ignore their profile. Your managers care about you if you put in effort. There are a couple of easy wins/ one call closes every quarter. The company's concept of helping people find jobs they love is an easy one to promote every day. At the end of the day, the idea is a heck of a great one that changed the game and made millions of people happy in their career.

Cons

Pay and product! Pay: We gave what you said would work a try and even though personally I've been very successful, but I still see a lot of my peer's dejected and out. This "bonus" system is unfair and a way for the company to with hold money until the end of the year. Add to the fact that you can hit your annual number and still not make our lower than average OTE, not good.

Majority of people still can't hit quota, unless we rob peter (next months pipeline) to pay paul, (whatever the gap is) and hurt pipeline. You can make good money here in the higher tiers ( but still be underpaid compared to other ENT roles), however, it will take a lot of time to get there even if you're good In the SMB teir since we a lot out of your control., and the org growing every year doesn't have numbers to a science.

Company always listens and addresses items,, unless the focus groups aren't saying anything, a lot still needs to be fixed.

Product: we've relied so much on our content we haven't done anything impactful. People are tired of posting jobs and hoping they get a good applicant, we should be doing more like our competition.

Advice to Management

Restart rep council since we're spread out so far now. It's a bad look that it doesn't exist anymore when you have reps like me in the trenches every day who have not just been successful here, but struggled as well.

Get rid of bonus plan and retro add it to all base. This will quickly fix morale, and make our pay pretty fair considering the pricing of our products, It's better than doing aggressive discounts at the end of the quarter and contests. How can we find a way to be financially sound yet make our jobs more financially feasible? First our own tool told us how underpaid we were, now the fact that sales hiring is so rough, has to be the final straw.

If we can't afford it, then we need to find a way to not need such a big sales team to bring in the revenue we need to keep going.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I appreciate the way you’ve outlined what’s working for you and what isn’t. The honest truth is that we rolled out a new comp plan and quotas earlier this year to make sure everyone is being paid in... More

"Amazing opportunity, incredible people, some serious setbacks recently"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, Glassdoor is a phenomenal place to work and would be high up on the Best Places to Work list if they weren't the ones curating the list. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering joining. I would love to see some serious improvement on some tough issues, but what company is perfect? All things considered this place can be a great career accelerator. Come help us get to the next level!

Pros:

- The people. 93% of the people you'll meet here are genuine, down to earth, kind, good natured, selfless, intelligent, and always willing to help. I've made some friends for life here.

-Team culture. Largely a function of the wonderful people you'll work with, this is different than overall company culture, this is more about the culture that develops between the individuals you grind with, battling side by side with you day in and day out to get to your numbers. I know this is not applicable to every single team across the company, but all the front line managers that I know here in Chicago aim to develop a fun, winning, close knit team. We truly enjoy each others company, on and off the sales floor.

- The mission. We're a late stage start up with significant funding from top tier investors that know what they're doing, a recognizable brand name in a large profitable market, and a unique product vision that I can sell knowing wholeheartedly it's in the best interest of my client to invest in us. Transparency, employee engagement, employer branding, diversity/inclusion - this is the next frontier for companies that value healthy corporate cultures (and they should, based on research connecting employee satisfaction to productivity and bottom line revenue), whether employers like it or not. First it was free snacks, standing desks, and gym memberships - now it's listening to your employees and (at least creating the appearance of) genuinely caring what they have to say.

- The opportunity. We are a high growth company and if you work hard, succeed in you role, and build authentic relationships with people - there will be opportunity for advancement. That doesn't mean it isn't difficult, you just have to be smart and intentional about how you craft your personal brand and position yourself when the time comes. I will say, the advancement process could use a healthy dose of transparency and over-communication.

- Work life balance. This actually exists here. Need to duck out early at 2 one day? No problem. Want to take a week off for vacation (with proper notice)? Actually encouraged. Need to leave work every day at lunch to walk your dog for an hour? Cool. As long as you are communicating your needs in advance and it's not impacting your results, you will have a flexible, understanding manager.

- Senior sales leadership team. The senior sales leaders at Glassdoor are experienced, communicative, empathetic, and incredibly smart. I believe they have the genuine best interests of the sales team at heart, and I do believe in their vision.

-Company values. This is subjective, but I'm proud to be part of an organization that strives to make a positive impact in the world. Filing an amicus brief against the refugee ban. All the research & work we do around the gender pay gap. Making real strides for pay transparency helping working folks negotiate for higher pay. This stuff matters.

Cons

-Sales Operations in relation to comp/quota/books. We recently had some turnover in Sales Ops, and for the last 4-5 months the side of sales ops that deals with comp/quota/books has been pretty much a complete disaster area for the growth side of the business, if we're being brutally honest. Couldn't be any worse timing with the transition from FY17 to FY18 and new books/plans being created and rolled out. It's devastatingly demoralizing and unspeakably frustrating when the growth sales leadership team top to bottom either has no clue how sales ops is building books, quotas, and comp plans, or has no say in how they do it. How do you build a comp plan without knowing what quotas and books look like? You end up building a comp plan and sales flow that emphasizes retention, when the quotas actually require much more growth. What in the world is going on? When neither your manager, your director, or your SVP can't/won't give you a straight answer for months and months (the quarter was more than halfway over before we got our quota; we still to this day don't completely understand why we're getting paid out less on our deals than last year), its frankly unacceptable. When we ask about it, we get the response: don't worry it will all make sense eventually and in the meantime the bottom line is you have to sell more into your book than last year (even though there's a new sales motion and some people are struggling with basic living expenses while still hitting growth quotas). Accountability works both ways... If we couldn't give you a forecast for the quarter until more than halfway through, we wouldn't be employed here. If we couldn't explain why we didn't hit our target or why we lost a particular deal, we wouldn't be employed here. And yet we're supposed to be okay with a high degree of ambiguity "because we're an agile start up." That excuse for incompetence only goes so far before your top performers are inevitably interviewing elsewhere. I can tell you this - they don't want to. They want to believe in you, sales leaders. We're all looking to you to help us out of this mess, but you don't have much more time.

-Sales ops issues aside, overall compensation is a slight con. Lower base and OTE compared to similar companies and similar roles. But in reality, b/c of the strength of our brand, you're actually more likely to actually hit your OTE than most smaller companies. 6 months ago, I would have told you it's a lock that you'll make up the lower base in more commission/bonuses. But the changes to the comp plan have made me seriously skeptical of the risk. It also remains to be seen whether the equity plan for recent employees will make up the difference.

- SMB customer success. Cases take a full day to escalate from customer support to a customer enablement manager. Client emails us with urgent technical issue that requires resolution immediately, but the process takes 48 hours to resolve. AM's have very little visibility into who their assigned CEM is, what CEMs will or won't do, and who they should talk to when there's a problem with an account because CEMs + account assignments change on a quarterly basis it feels like. We get one presentation a year on this, but then in practice it all falls apart. I don't think the problem is the people, they're all great and strive to help to the best of their ability. It's the process and structure that truly boggles the mind.

-Product performance. Without getting too detailed, some aspects of our products underperform compared to the market and often we struggle to justify ROI with customers. Help us by building a stronger product and improving the type of data we have access to that builds a successful partnership business case.

Advice to Management

Fix comp/quotas/books for the growth team ASAP. Work on building out more customer facing data and more creative ways to slice and dice the data.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review - I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. As you know, we’ve put a major focus on comp and quotas lately and that work is not done... More

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

Jul 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. Glassdoor is now 9 years old and with that age comes more complexity to our business. I share this as we want... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.

"They're trying to get it right"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is hands down the best company I've worked for (and I have worked for companies featured on our BPTW list). I'm surrounded by smart, motivating and wonderful people each day. I have a manager who has helped me grow more in the past year then I thought I ever could.

As you can see in just about every recent review, yes the road is bumpy right now. But, I do genuinely believe management and leadership is fighting to make it right. It's hard to see GD as a start-up but we are still adapting to this hyper growth and I'm trying to be patient with management as they pave the road ahead.

There are some absolutely amazing leaders and mentors here at Glassdoor. As we grow as a company, current employees are being given a unique opportunity to learn and test their own limits.

Cons

Every review before this has mentioned the issues with compensation and quota. It's been really challenging on the growth side.

Because we're Glassdoor, cultural transparency is king. However, when it comes to logistical and operational transparency that's where things get grey and where honestly, I don't think there is any.

Communication continues to be a roadblock. Changes will happen and teams will have to wait weeks to find out really critical information like who their manager will be and what accounts will land in their name for the next quarter. It's hard to charge ahead with confidence when you feel like you're being left in the dark with little consideration form leadership.

Advice to Management

This really is an amazing company doing some incredible work for our clients. Help us to continue to fight for the company by fighting for us. Keep us in the loop, even an update that there isn't an update just yet (the same way you ask us to communicate with clients) can help ease fears and elevate morale.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

This feedback is really important to me, thank you for being so detailed and clear about what you value here and what you’re seeing that can be improved. As you know, we’ve put a premium on making... More

"Still Crazy (fun) After All These Years"

Current Employee - Director of Jobs and Search Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Jobs and Search Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have forged some incredible friendships, relationships and memories over the course of my time at Glassdoor, and I don't want it to end yet. Having been here longer than most, it has been a real treat watching this company evolve, scale and step up to each of the new challenges that we face. It's never a dull moment, and has always been a fast paced journey, and I am proud to be a part of it.

People you work with here are generally motivated and hungry to make an impact and show value. Glassdoor has helped me grow and mature, particularly in engaging and communicating with peers and colleagues effectively, and while many companies may talk about trying to foster an open-sharing collaborative environment, Glassdoor actually puts it into practice. As in life, nothing is perfect and it doesn't always mean that every single interaction you are going to have here is going to be the most amazing one ever, but we strive to bring a general standard in these types of engagements. I think it subtly permeates through the org and relieves stress proactively for us, even when feeling like things are going as smoothly as they should.

The culture has evolved and changed, and rightfully so. You can't expect the company to be the same company it was 5 years ago, when we were a fifth of the size. Through it all, there is still a solid rock and foundation which innately bleeds green, and it can never die.

Cons

Adjusting to scale has been a hard challenge. Like with most scenarios involving masses of people, it's hard to please and satisfy everyone. Because we have an open collaborative environment, it's not uncommon to hear those dislikes, groans or sighs of disapproval from some folks. The challenge has been keeping the course, and pushing harder through those moments of adversary and doing small corrections, rather than tacking so frequently and disrupting our line.

We suffer a little bit from a resourcing and sizing problem, particularly in our core engineering areas. We want to deliver so much, but are not willing to really push and pony up for the resources for where they matter most. Moving fast comes at a price, and we haven't figured out which one to pay into, speed or efficacy.

Advice to Management

Keep the course, and push forward. Put resourcing in the places where it counts and is going to deliver most on our company focus - Jobs. I believe in the vision of this company, and have been pumped up about Glassdoor for a long time. I see others pumped up too. I also see some that are not pumped, or have not been pumped up. Make sure to continue to drive the passion into us, and we need to see/feel that passion from you!

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for being part of Glassdoor all these years. I remember when we were a fifth of the size, like you describe, and I’m amazed by how far we’ve come, how much has changed and am excited for what... More

"Amazing team and great engineering culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering talent, always willing to help and easy to collaborate with
    - Smart and hard working people all around
    - Onsite lunches everyday, beautiful office location if you're in the north bay or SF

Cons

- Commute can be expensive if you're living in the city especially GG bridge toll i.e. 6.5$ everyday, company should really reimburse this for the folks who come from SF

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for sharing a review, and I’m happy to read that the smart and hardworking people around here inspire you, they do the same for me. Glad you’re on the team.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Great environment to work in
    - Mostly enjoyable people
    - Good benefits
    - Daily lunches
    - In building gym

Overall a pretty decent place to work.

Cons

In a transition period trying to become a bigger player in the jobs and recruiting markets which leads to canned projects on a whim. The company uses a top-down approach to many projects in order to get buy in. There also tends to be an excessive amount of planning that leads into a shortened time frame to complete your goals.

Advice to Management

Borderline mid-size company trying to remain startup agile leads to lost headcounts and hostility.