Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated December 3, 2018

US - All Cities

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office" (in 20 reviews)

"AWESOME PLACE!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work culture / fun environment where you can position yourself for success and really grow within your career. Everyone is very helpful and knowledgable. It really is a great company to work for. Dog friendly office, catered lunches everyday, view of the Bay, kayaks, bikes, gym classes....what more could you want!! Nothing but great things to say!

Cons

Keep doing what you're doing.

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you for writing such a stellar review about Glassdoor. At Glassdoor we continously work on creating an enjoyable and stimulating work environment for all of our employees. Thank you for being a... More

"Overall a pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is great. The people are what make the company, and everyone at the company was a pleasure to work with. Free lunch every day and a pretty relaxing office location in mill valley with an emphasis on wellness.

Cons

The compensation wasn’t the best, with several companies in the area paying several times more than what I was getting at GD. Some of the tech debt had no signs of ever going away, too.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers and take bigger risks in terms of architecture and processes. People want to work on cool things!

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you for the feedback. We value culture highly at Glassdoor and we are always working to cultivate a great and motivating work environment that will help us bring out the best in all of us... More

"Challenging but very fulfilling last 3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor has provided me with some of the best memories as well as a great foundation to become a top sales person. The sales team has a culture of mentorship and learning. I was able to learn from my manager and my peers on a daily basis to continue to get better. The people I worked with became some of my closest friends and having that "family" feel really allowed me to enjoy my job.

Cons

Over the years there were a lot of growing pains. We grew too quick, we weren't all on the same page, hired some of the wrong people, and had poor communication. From all of that we have learned from our mistakes and "course-corrected" and things that were our weaknesses have become strengths. The one thing we continue to hear is the pay is too low, which it is. The one reason people leave is because although they love this company and their job, the pay isn't as competitive.

Advice to Management

Continue to over communicate. The times when things were rough were due to lack of communication from the top down. As long as you communicate change, things we're doing well and things we aren't doing well you will continue to earn the trust of everyone. Stick to the mission and I have no doubt Glassdoor will do amazing things.

May 28, 2018 – HR Team

It's great to hear that you're feeling positive about the future of Glassdoor and the Customer Success org overall. As you know, we're on a journey to transforming our team and we've made a lot of... More

"Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (Less than a year)

Pros

Too many to list... i.e. benefits, lunch, office, casual attire, pet friendly it goes on and on.

Cons

Not the most competitive pay structure.

Advice to Management

Consider bonuses and money spiffs.

Mar 29, 2018 – Senior Director, Human Resources

We really appreciate your honest review and feedback. Please know that our HR team routinely reviews our structure around total compensation to ensure its competitive with the current market and we... More

"Some growing pains, but overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The mission
    -Product is easy to get behind, so we feel pretty confident on the phone
    -The people are great, which makes a huge difference in company culture
    -I’ve had positive experiences with management that wants us to succeed and grow
    -New Chicago office is great
    -Robert and executive leadership is good at keeping us in the loop and demonstrating transparency
    -Opportunities for career growth
    -I feel excited about our future!

Cons

-We’ve grown a lot, which comes with some growing pains. At times internal communication could be much better, especially around promotion path and specific steps/timeline to promotion. I think we’re taking good steps to get there, though!

-Our Chicago office is great, even though location is a little difficult for commuters. It would be amazing if there was the option to use the gym downstairs for free! I know I’m paying extra to commute there, so maybe sometime down the line that will be a wellness perk provided to employees.

Advice to Management

Please keep working toward completely transparent communication regarding promotion path and letting us know about changes to quotas or promotion timelines ASAP.

Mar 5, 2018 – Co-Founder and CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are incredibly proud of the new Chicago office and we’ve invested a lot of time, love, and input in order to make it comfortable for our teams. This is a very exciting... More

"Great place to grow in your career & solve interesting problems"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is at that sweet spot where we we've matured out of the crazy start-up phase and have the right leaders and plans in place to ensure stability, but we're still growing rapidly enough that there's a ton of opportunity to make a difference and advance quickly within the company if you prove yourself. It's great to see transparency and other company values embodied from the CEO on down. My managers have always been committed to helping me learn and find success. Free lunch in Mill Valley is great and I have found compensation to be competitive for late-stage start-ups.

Cons

Like any start-up, we're still figuring stuff out and some days the list of challenges can feel overwhelming. Owning a car to drive to work from SF is very expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your managers to invest in people development. Expand the office in San Francisco. Consider 401K matching to help people build good savings habits.

Mar 5, 2018 – Co-Founder and CEO

It’s great to read this review regarding your managers! Our focus over the past several quarters has been to invest in people development and we'll continue this going forward. Please feel free to... More

"Great Place to Grow Professionally"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership and management is always looking out for your best interests! It feels great knowing that Glassdoor leaders will give us their time and resources to mature info refined professionals, and do not expect us to come in being perfect. You just have to ask for the help!

Glassdoor also has a lot of fun benefits like catered lunch, flexible work schedule, ability to bring dogs into the office, and Marin kombucha on tap!

All coworkers are wonderfully quirky, motivated and diverse. I love coming to work for the people!

Cons

Although you can learn a ton at Glassdoor, there is almost no structure or guidance on how to succeed at your job. Managers are spread thin on many different projects other than helping their direct reports achieve Quarterly success. Training for new hires is extremely disorganized and disorganized. You have to rely on your peers to learn the day to day.

Continued trainings that are marked as MANDATORY to attend in the middle of your day, are oftentimes useless.

If you want to know something, get resources, or learn, you have to go after it yourself. The "build your own desk" culture is still very much alive! Pro for some, con for others.

"Great place to work... if you like small and scrappy teams."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor has a great CEO who is smart, empathetic, honest and charismatic. He is an engineer by training who is respected around the company, and that has made all the difference in terms of quality and thoughtfulness of our core products, and our great company culture.

There is real work-life balance at Glassdoor, if you make a priority for yourself. I work from home 1-2 days a week to make the commute from the East Bay manageable, and management has supported that. I get my work done efficiently, and in 3 years have never worked a weekend -- aside from travel and 1-2 very unusual weekend fire drills. This is a company you can work at for years and have a great life doing so.

As we've matured as a company, we're paying more attention to training and development, which is awesome. There are possibilities to move around within the company, and there are regular classes to pick up skills and grow as a professional.

Glassdoor has a great brand, and that makes it fun to work here. People here feel like we are really helping people find a job they love, and that's more like a nonprofit than just another tech company. Glassdoor really has a soul as an organization, and I have learned a lot about culture and management from my time here.

People are friendly at Glassdoor. Marin is a beautiful place to work. And the free lunch and video games really are great.

Cons

Most teams at Glassdoor are small. You might say they are starved for resources. My team hasn't grown at all in years, and it can be frustrating being asked to do more of the same year after year with no additional resources. If you're not in a part of the company that is growing today, it's tough to see a long-term career arc upward.

In terms of benefits, there is no 401(k) match, would I would like to see happen someday. Otherwise, the benefits are great and management are constantly looking for ways to improve them, by surveying employees. That's great.

Our headquarters are in Marin because of a historical accident, really. Now we are split between Mill Valley and SF, because many sought-after job candidates simply aren't willing to work in Marin and have bargained for an SF office. That split isn't great for the company long-term -- we should clearly relocate either into SF so that people can commute in on transit, or into East Bay so people can actually afford to someday buy houses. There are no other top tech companies in Marin (putting AutoDesk aside) for a reason -- it's probably not a sustainable location for Glassdoor long term.

We are in a very competitive industry and I'm hesitant long-term about our ability to grow and thrive as a company. We are facing intense competition, with larger rivals copying the best aspects of our product and ramping up their investments in marketing. It's a scary competitive landscape facing us right now.

Advice to Management

Please continue your investment in employee training, and learning and development. They are paying off in terms of engagement and people feeling like they have an upward path at Glassdoor.

While an IPO would be nice -- because it will cash out many option holders -- there is plenty of capital in private markets, and an IPO is frankly mostly just a badge of honor. Maybe we forget about an IPO, stay private, and drive the company deep into profitable territory. A lot of employee dissatisfaction at Glassdoor among long-time employees is coming from options holders who are impatient to cash in after ten years. I think we would be better off as a company to stop setting the expectation of an upcoming IPO year after year, only to not deliver on that expectation.

Keep the culture at Glassdoor weird! This is the best company I have ever worked for, and I am grateful for everything I have learned here, and all the amazing people who are here because they believe in this awesome small company.

"Recruiting"

Former Employee - Recruiting in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are trying, they truly are but not doing so well internally.

Cons

Over worked and low wage

Advice to Management

You need to priorities keeping people at the company. Once you have a systemic process that enables and incentivizes people to stay they will stay. You have to act on what you preach.

Mar 5, 2018 – HR Team

Your honest and candid feedback is appreciated. Work life balance is incredibly important and we encourage our leadership team to continue to share this. 401(k) match is something that we have... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, great leadership, great people.

Cons

Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains.