Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 56 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 31 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 20 reviews)

"Good environment for work, could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great knowledgeable engineers to work with
    - Good for career growth
    - Good work/life balance
    - Great recreational activities

Cons

- Getting kudos from leads is very difficult
    - Getting approval of doing something new/different takes a huge effort
    - Moving across teams is difficult

May 20, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I agree, the engineers here really are great and they’re some of the most knowledgeable I’ve ever worked with. I can do a better job of saying that more often, and encouraging our leaders to do the... More

"Not too big or too small, Glassdoor is just right!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is still really young - only 8 years old, and much of the growth has happened in the last 2 years. That means that it's easy to make your mark if you've got ideas and experience.

The people are smart and friendly. It took me no time at all to build a network here. People are very open to the new programs and changes my team has implemented.

Cons

The location (Mill Valley) is lovely but there are no public transit options... so my commute is not great. Start and end times are super flexible though, so I just tend to come in early and leave early while others come in late and leave late.

There is a negative vibe in some corners of the company. My take on this is that some people are not faring as well with all the change and feel left behind.

Advice to Management

Make it possible/acceptable for more people to work in SF, at least a few days a week.

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to see feedback like this come in from a member of my own team. As you know, we work hard to make sure people feel like they can really make a difference here, it’s great to know they do... More

"Left with mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Glassdoor is a good place to work. They have their issues but the important thing is the senior leadership (CEO) is very open and willing to change the direction of the product/company if it comes to that. Robert's office is always open and you can ask him questions (anonymously, if you prefer) during company huddles.

- Nothing is set on stone - things could change. Glassdoor as a company improves upon their product tremendously. They run A/B tests and are willing to pivot their product direction if necessary. I believe that's very important for a growing company to succeed.

- Coworkers. They are all amazing bunch of people. I have made some good friends while working there.

- Company offers tons of perks - gym with shower, lunch, snacks, $50 mobile phone bill credit, game room, free or close to free health insurance etc.

- Dog friendly.

Cons

- When I first joined Glassdoor it was the best company I ever worked for. The team was small and we were moving fast but without compromising in quality (i.e by shifting the deadline by a day or two if the product wasn't quite ready). As the company grew, stories became open ended and deadlines became almost impossible to shift which forced us to compromise in quality. There were at least three instances I could recall in the past year where we were given a hard deadline but without ironing out the details of the story or having final designs. In all three of those cases, we either didn't end up using that product or shifted the deadline so we could roll it out all together with rest of the teams.

- Most of us are underpaid. This became clear when we launched Know Your Worth Tool. A former colleague of mine who left Glassdoor had told me about the 30% salary increase he/she got at their new place.

- My new manager was micromanaging the team. He/she always wanted to know what we were working on (even though he/she was there for the daily standup). My manager would listen in to our conversation with fellow colleagues and provide unsolicited opinion.

Advice to Management

- Not an advice but I'm disappointed with our HR personnel who handled my departure. He/she was supposed to email me some documents to my personal email and he/she never did. While I was still working at Glassdoor I had two former colleagues contacting me to get info from HR because they apparently never replied to their requests. I guess they don't care about their former employees.

Apr 11, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to hear that Glassdoor was a fit for you for so long and we’re sorry to see you go. I take your feedback quite seriously and assure you we care deeply about our employees, current, former... More

"Other side of the coin.."

Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2016 was not an easy year for Glassdoor or for anyone laying the foundation for this company. Growing pains have the inevitable cause and effects and some of that has made its way to reviews on our own Glassdoor page; a good reminder that we are not immune to our own solution. Part of what makes Glassdoor so unique is that we WANT to be held accountable. Leadership stands behind the transparency and accountability that are the threads throughout our mission. I call that leading from the front. I appreciate how gracefully this organization has navigated challenging times.

You should be aware of the good, the bad, the ugly of an organization before dedicating a large portion of your life to them. Glassdoor allows you to do this. Hopefully the reviews you have read thus far support your decision to start, stay, or move on from this organization, and that's a good thing! It means Glassdoor is living and breathing its own vision to help people find a job and company they (truly) love.

For what it's worth to the reader, I would like to share a story from the flip side of the coin.

Last week we celebrated the life of a former colleague. Her father spoke of his gratitude for the people who loved her well and supported her living the last years of her life with dignity and pride. Glassdoor was among those on the receiving end of his gratitude. This entire organization, from senior leadership on down, rallied behind this colleague in the most gracious ways and without question. I don't know about you, but to me, it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. These voluntary acts of kindness represent the incredible people inside these glass doors.

Cons

Like any company or human for that matter, Glassdoor is not perfect. All you can do is use these reviews to determine if it is perfect for YOU.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the type of leadership I want to stand behind in good times and in bad. Today, I feel very grateful.

Mar 20, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I’m very touched by this feedback. Creating a culture where people support one another is a credit to our entire team and reflects the culture we try to live every day that is supportive and treats... More

"And, We're Back!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Mission: Glassdoor has a mission I can really get behind - Help people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. You can feel that at the core of everything we do. It's the reason why we all go to work!

My Colleagues: I love the people I work with! Glassdoor recruits and keeps some of the brightest, most creative, friendly, funny, welcoming people I have ever met. My teammates encourage me to be genuine and real and provide the personal and professional support I was looking for in a team. My efforts and my personality have been acknowledged and appreciated here.

My Manager: My manager is incredible. He is remarkably talented at coaching individual members as well as coaching to the team which has made us all tight knit and one another's biggest fans. Personally, he has taught me a process, pushed me outside my comfort zone, and cultivated a confidence in me that I am so grateful for. He truly is a role model and a dear friend. Our entire team sees his tireless dedication to our team, to the company, and, most importantly, his family. He is all around a stellar human that we are lucky to know and work with.

Our Leaders: Leadership listens! I wrote a review about 6 months ago that was quite critical about where we were as a sales org. This included a critique of new processes that had been implemented that seemed to be slowing us down, as well as the tough quota targets. As a side note, that review was still 4 stars because I love Glassdoor. Anyways, since then, our middle management, VPs, and Exec Team responded to the reviews on Glassdoor, addressed concerns in town halls, implemented a new internal feedback loop (Glint), and, over time, solved for our biggest problems by reducing quotas and giving the sales team the opportunity to earn back lost dollars due to poor initial plan.

At the first half of 2016, Glassdoor had dropped the ball but I am happy to say that they have picked it up and are running hard toward the goal line. I love this company and am so proud to be part of a an org that REALLY LISTENS and WANTS TO DO RIGHT by it's employees.

Cons

Our biggest strength is our biggest weakness: we are a start up. Start up means that sometimes things are humming and jiving and other times things are broken and disorganized.

Career Development and Training could be improved. Processes are a work in progress. We have been iterating for a few years so innovation to product and positioning is welcome.

Although there are things to be improved, if I've learned anything in the 10 years I've been in the workforce and the 3 years I've been at Glassdoor, it's that things are not always perfect. I've also learned that really great companies and wonderful leaders seek to learn from those not so perfect times to make the organization better moving forward. Glassdoor and our CEO does that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and lean on your employees to offer feedback before, during, and after we implement big changes. We want to help. CS and Implementation still need some cleaning up and morale boosts. AE side needs some TLC and their managers NEED more training to build stronger, more motivated teams. We will continue to lose people if we don't. There needs to be A LOT more effort put into training and ongoing career development. You have very talented people at your org, don't let their brains and motivation to be better go to waste (that's how you hit numbers).

"Everything I was told it would be, and then some"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They sold it to me as a pre-IPO startup with the opportunity to get in early, and that's exactly what it is. The growth potential here is tremendous, and everyone at the company really does care about you and your goals. Work-life balance, benefits and the office atmosphere are all the best I've ever experienced. Glassdoor has been, and will continue to, shake up a pretty well-established "job board" market. The old models from indeed and monster are going away and Glassdoor will be the first to connect job seekers and companies based on a deeper, more emotional level than just matching skills. Being a part of the team and seeing the value that we are delivering to clients is fun and it's only just starting to catch on. Glassdoor has owned the user-generated content regarding employers for a long time, and once we solidify our spot as the one-stop-shop for job seekers to learn not just about companies, but also find new opportunities, the sky will be the limit and the old job boards will just be trying to catch up.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are typical of an organization that is growing like crazy and figuring out how best to monetize their products and audience. Leadership gives clear direction for long term success, but sometimes the water gets a little muddy during the short term as we and there could be a little more transparency about some of the moves that have been made. I think that this is somewhat of a learning experience for everybody, so there are occasional hiccups. It's the small risk you have to accept when you join a relatively young organization.

Advice to Management

The openness of leadership is amongst the best I have seen across the multiple organizations I have been a part of prior to coming here. That being said, when discussing a vision for 100 miles down the road, it's helpful to discuss what will be happening at each mile in between so there are no surprises.

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your excitement for Glassdoor, we’re excited to have you on the team! Your review reminds me how grateful I am to our team who has brought the Glassdoor culture we cultivated here... More

"Fun, engaging, challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are given the opportunity to do great work with as much or as little supervision or guidance as you need. Transparency is high and it really feels like you are being encouraged and empowered to make an impact. It is an exciting time to be at this company, we are having fun and getting things done!

Cons

We have a lot to do and there is a lot of necessary change happening, does not work for everyone. Some team members are wedded to the past and finding it hard to move on and look at things differently.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the change and keep listening!

"Hallelujah!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Leadership is clearly listening to us! If I had been writing this review even just a few days ago, I would not have much to write in this section. However, due to recent announcements of the departure of senior Customer Success leadership I'm realizing that we have not been screaming into a void. Robert and others are listening to us and understand that our toxic and tyrannical senior leader needed to be replaced if we are to ever recover from a hard 2016.

I have renewed faith in the organization and am confident that we will "feel the wind at our backs" once again (to quote Robert from an all-hands late last year). Full disclosure: I had a full schedule of interviews this week that I can now cancel with a smile on my face, as I am optimistic that with these organization changes and a key blocker removed from the equation, we can mature into an amazing company.

Cons

I could write a novel detailing the intimidation tactics that many of us endured from former department leadership, but with recent developments considered I have nothing to say other than that I'm excited to stay at Glassdoor!!

Advice to Management

I can not thank you enough, Robert, for listening. You made the right decision.

Mar 20, 2017 – VP & GM of Online Business Operations

Thanks for sharing this feedback, and I’m truly glad to hear Glassdoor is the right place for you. Change is never easy, but we continue to move forward in exciting times. We wish everyone who... More

"Not as good a company as advertised"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is trying to be innovative. There are good people who work there. I think that it could be a good place to work. The benefits and perks were pretty good.

Cons

Management generally does not live up to good values and treat people fairly. They have an image that they have created of helping to bring transparency to the workplace but that value is absolutely absent at Glassdoor. I'm most upset by the fact that they pretend to be better than other workplaces and the reality doesn't live up to it. So basically I hate hypocrisy and that is very present there.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and be honest with your employees and your customers.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

I’m sorry to see that Glassdoor was not a fit for you. As a new leader on this team, I appreciate your honest feedback and take it seriously. I think we have an opportunity to over-communicate our... More

"Here we go again"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

There is lots of good.

Cons

There is also the ugly.

Advice to Management

Continue to be fair and promote the people who can make the largest impact on the business.