Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated February 16, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager (in 59 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Mixed feelings about working here..."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing - always positive, genuine, honest, and open.
    Totally love the vision of helping people find the jobs that fit their life.

Cons

The biggest downside, especially for engineering, is the career growth aspect and the ability to move fast towards technological advancements.

There is also a long way to become truly agile especially now that the organization has grown to a decent size.

The expectation of people should work extra hours similar to being in a start-up does not really gel well with everything else that is not so start-up like.

The other downside has also been the location as the company is growing and it does not help much in hiring local talent.

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I appreciate you being so candid about what’s working and what’s not. As we scale, it’s important to retain our agility. The investments we are making in DevOps' Platform as a Service and the... More

"High impact work in a high growth environment"

Current Employee - Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, motivated colleagues
    Executive team that is humble and willing to listen
    Opportunity to have lots of individual impact
    Still growing; an exciting time to be here
    Supportive, collaborative culture where opinions are valued

Cons

Typical growing pains
    Management adjusting to the challenges of running and leading a larger company
    Staff turnover good for the long term, but challenging to transition through

Advice to Management

Maintain focus and have patience; as the company grows time to impact will get longer. But we need to ensure that we continue to invest for the long run as well as driving for short term results. Also need to recognize that we are operating at a much greater scale than ever before, and scale requires delegation and trust

"Not too shabby"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teachers, leaders and motivated employees; everyone here has a great outlook and appetite for success. Exciting time to be in Chicago as we are moving to a new office and seeing the company grow has been awesome!

Free food 3x a week with a lot of opportunity for happy hours and a great work life balance.

Cons

The office atmosphere is relaxed, but there are clear favorites in the crowd that seem to be promoted into positions that they aren't necessarily a fit for, just based on campaigning successfully. The pay isn't all that great, they continue to change our comp plans to be "awesome" but truth be told unless you're hitting 100% every single month, you won't get the full pay out and there is still unclear and untold terms which makes people skeptical.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary, leave the commission alone and stop trying to say things are better when they aren't progressing.

"Gotta stay focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here has been great. The people the, the office, the challenges and opportunity to work on projects that may not have been offered at other companies in a similar role. I have enjoyed the opportunity to grow and mature with the company. The people I have worked with and have stayed around a few years truly believe in our mission and purpose in the job industry. I think we are all hopeful for the day that Glassdoor takes that next step.

Cons

After seeing the ups and downs the past few years it feels like we are coming out of a rut now. However the attitude and impatience of some of the employees can be a downer on us all and that affects overall moral of the company. Salary and 401k plans are something we have all dealt with over the past few years and made a choice to join regardless.

From talking with others it does feel like teams are understaffed and there is a lot of worked to do for us all.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate your review a lot. It’s exciting and motivating to be at a company with such a noble mission, and it can be disheartening to hear from employees who feel impatient or frustrated. Part of... More

"Meaningful work, opportunity for professional growth & project ownership and great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful, interesting projects that keep coming as long as you do a good job
    - Flat org with a candid exec team
    - Sharp, politics-free team-players
    - Fun culture & great benefits
    - Short, reverse commute from SF

Cons

- Below market rate pay
    - Work-life balance varies depending on which team you are on & how critical your role is, which is expected

Aug 29, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thank you for all the feedback. It means a lot to me that you find the work as meaningful as I do and appreciate the candid nature of our leadership team.

When it comes to pay, we are all... More

"I love this place! But..."

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is one of the best companies I have ever worked for! The team I am on is amazing! I feel respected and supported by them everyday. In addition, I am surrounded by other like-minded individuals that push me to be a better version of myself everyday. These aren't just co-workers, but some of the best of friends and people I consider almost family. Our work environment is collaborative which I absolutely LOVE! There is an opportunity to learn and grow not only as an employee, but as an individual. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and there is no shortage of drive (until recently).

Cons

There is a reason behind my 3 star review. With an ever evolving business, I understand that changes need to be made. One of the perks of working at GD is an "uncapped commission," meaning if a rep performs well, the opportunity to make more money is there. Recently, we had a shift in our compensation plan that changed this. We were told that the reason quotas being rolled out in April were delayed was due to perfecting the compensation plans, yet we were to find out that the drastic changes were not communicated to our leadership and then to us. Now, we have capped commission and we've removed all bonuses for retaining current client base. All "bonuses" that we can receive for hitting our numbers each quarter are already built into our target, rather than extra money we can make after hitting full quota. This is causing those with extreme drive and passion to feel that's not enough - quotas are too high and impossible to hit.

Advice to Management

Transparency is a common theme and something we hold to the highest value here. It's one of my favorite things about the company, but recently a lack of communication amongst the organization has caused me to feel a bit deceived. I'm disappointed that communication regarding the changes to our plan wasn't communicated clearer, earlier and that there seems to be no resolution in sight. Bring back incentives to retain clients and when a rep hits their number, we should receive an actual bonus. Your employees have always been your focus. Treat them right and their loyalty will always bleed Green.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m sorry to hear your frustrations. If you feel comfortable, I highly encourage you to reach out to me for a conversation. Part of my job is making sure our teams in every office have an... More

"Great people - iffy on strategy"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor cares about it's employees - they're not perfect yet, but they do have a great benefits package and they constantly ask for feedback on how they're doing. A great quality for any business, but especially Glassdoor, which preaches these practices to other companies.

Cons

Have to hit numbers. We have a good product, but there's plenty of opportunity to add value and make it a great product.

Advice to Management

Quality always wins. Whether this is investing in a more expensive, higher quality lunch caterer for your employees or investing in a top of the line product that surprises and delights.

Aug 9, 2017 – CMO & SVP of Marketing

I appreciate this feedback, and agree very much that this company truly cares about its employees. We’re investing heavily in strategy this year and already seeing those focused efforts pay off. If... More

"we are family"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Family: I say this all the time, but the employees at Glassdoor are not just that. We are really like a family--and we genuinely care about each other & enjoy each other. To me, that is the best part about waking up and coming to work every morning. And on top of that, our leadership truly cares about us as well. Our CEO, Robert, may not know everyone's face, but he knows every name (pretty incredible in a company of 800 people).

-Perks: From incredible health insurance to the ability to wear jeans & flip-flops to the catered lunches, we really do have a good amount of perks & benefits. We are pretty transparent with the fact that we may not pay at the tip-top of the scale (it's still pretty good though!), but we have other things to make up for that. Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed.

-Autonomy: One of things I appreciate about Glassdoor is that they let you do you. I have rarely (if ever) felt micro-managed. On the AM side, we are truly the leaders of our own book and are empowered to treat our accounts & clients & schedules in the way we think is best. I hear about a lot of other companies where managers get involved in every little issue, call, deal, etc. but our leadership respects our decisions.

Cons

-We are still a start-up, so change is going to happen. A lot. If you can't roll with the punches, then this may be a hard place to be. With that being said, we change so much because leadership actually listens to us and our needs & concerns. We constantly make changes to territories, comp structure, support, etc. so we can grow & scale and still provide the employees with what we need.

-Because there is so much change, it is sometimes hard to get a clear picture on what your career path will be or can be at Glassdoor. Things can pop up really quickly, or you may have to wait several months longer than originally planned to get a promo. We do need to do a better job of preparing people for career advancement & mentoring them to that next step, providing feedback on where they hit & where they miss, and being upfront.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and providing a clear & transparent roadmap to each employee on what their career path looks like & how they can get there!

More keynote sessions from Robert (his talk at SKO has everyone jazzed)!

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m proud to read this, and happy you are part of our team. The Chicago office is buzzing with excitement and as we forge ahead I’m looking forward to setting this team up to succeed and take... More

"Flaws in stock option plan"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The site benefits job seekers and is good for the world. The company is young, energetic and has a good sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The stock option plan has several significant flaws that make the stock riskier than other startups. Most employees aren't aware of these flaws. The CEO has been aware of these issues for years and has not done anything about it. In fact he has done one thing to make it even riskier. He has failed the employees in this area.

Glassdoor rejected the first version of this review because I was specific about the ways it is riskier and leads to more tax for employees and exiting employees. So, to get this version approved, I am going to have to be more vague and leave it in the hands of the current employees to investigate and resolve with the CEO.

Without specifically saying what Glassdoor plan has or doesn't have...Theoretically, here is what a good stock option plan puts in place for its employees:

1) a way to avoid paying tax when option holders exercise stock. The way to do this is typically by putting an 83b program in place so employees can early exercise their stock when it's fair market value is the same as their grant price. If an 83b doesn't exist, employees can only exercise when they vest and it is likely that the 409a value has increased and the employee would have to immediately pay tax on the "paper gain". This puts the employee in the situation where they have to pay taxes and they actually can't sell the stock to help pay the taxes.

2) a way to get the clock started on the holding period required to pay the capital gains tax rate instead of the ordinary income rate when a liquidity event happens. This can amount to a large savings (i.e. 30%-50%) which is real money. This is also typically done via an 83b program. And...this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN THERE FOR MULTIPLE YEARS, An 83b program is one of the ways to enable employees to get the clock started on the 5 year holding period required for QSBS exemption which can mean that NO CAPITAL GAINS taxes are paid. This can be a HUGE savings for employees when there is an IPO or acquisition.

3) the ability to sell vested shares when the employee has a financial need. With many startup staying private for 10 years before a liquidity event...it is likely that employees will have financial needs during that period - everything from wanting to put a down payment on a house to paying for kids' schools, a wedding, or elder care. When a company is still private, the way they can enable employees to meet their financial needs is to not place "transfer restrictions" on the stock. This allows employees to use sites like equityzen and Sharespost to sell their stock to a third party buyer.

If you look on EquityZen's website...you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market.

Advice to Management

1)Make being a stockholder less risky.
    2) Provide copies of any stock related document / by-laws to the employees and shareholders
    3) explain to the employees what they can and can't do with their stock.
    4) explain what the stock plan provides to help the employees avoid unnecessary tax consequences

Apr 25, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for your review.

We have looked at early exercise and 83b's, but they are risky attempts to avoid taxes. Most people do not fully understand the risk/reward tradeoff entirely, and the... More

"Sales Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I work with some of the most talented and fun people every day
     - The challenges that are put in front of you on a daily basis are challenging, but you know that nearly everything you touch is having a direct impact on the company trajectory.
     - One of the best things about working for Glassdoor, is it is extremely easy to stand behind and be motivated by the company mission to help everyone find a job that they love.

Cons

- The commute to Mill Valley isn't ideal but the view of the hills and the bay somewhat make up for it.
     - It feels like big changes are made without consulting all those that are affected. These changes cause team members to go back and do extra work from slight adjustments causing days or even weeks worth of work that does not move the needle.

May 28, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thanks for taking the time to write this about our team. It’s true, we really are helping people with something important and the work we do here matters a lot. I think we do our best to manage... More