Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated May 25, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 36 reviews)

• "The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley" (in 20 reviews)

1. "I appreciate being valued!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with a lot of companies and I have never had a company care so much about my personal and professional happiness.

Cons

More parking options would be nice

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There is a reason why you are growing so fast and nobody wants to leave!

"Not a place for middle managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are pushed to bring your A game to work every day. I worked at Glassdoor for 2 years and in those two years I learned more than I did in other companies. They invest in their employees in different ways including training, time off, free food, gym etc.

Cons

I have mixed feelings about Glassdoor. This is not a place if you are in middle management and want to have vertical growth. Your chances are extremely low regardless of how you perform. You are pressured from the top to do more and at the same time from your junior staff who are mostly millennials and we all know how challenging they can be.

On the other hand, if you want to learn and grow your skills, both functionally and personally, then this could be a great place to work for a few years.

Advice to Management

It is ok to promote from within and not look outside for all upper management positions. Have more trust in your middle management. Be realistic in your expectations. No one wants to grow old waiting for that promotion. Good people will leave as there are plenty of great companies in the bay area. There are some amazing people stuck at the same position for years and when there is an opportunity, it is unfair to hire someone from outside just because they have "done it before".

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate your honest assessment of our career growth opportunities. This is something we’ve taken seriously this year and have since rolled out training programs to make sure everyone is aware of... More

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Content and Community Associate in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Content and Community Associate in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, working at Glassdoor has been great. I've only been here a few months, but I already know it's the best place I've ever worked. The benefits, the people, the culture and atmosphere are all stellar. The work is challenging in a good way and there's a lot to learn. There are many growing opportunities within the company as well, as the company continues to expand. Even though it's a growing company, importance is placed on keeping a tight knit feel with team huddles involving all offices, good communication, and visits from members of other offices and teams. At a local level, teams are also extremely close and there are many fun bonding opportunities presented both in and outside of the office. Everyone is willing to help each other at work, and there is a laid back atmosphere. Managers and HR are always available to talk or answer questions. Co-workers and management actually care about getting to know you. "Good morning" and "Have a goodnight" are phrases that you will hear everyday. Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance. It's a dog friendly office, which puts a smile on everyones' faces. Free drinks and snacks are available in the kitchen, bagel Mondays and donut Wednesdays, and free fitness classes during the day. Work laptop provided, your choice of mac or pc. Excellent health insurance, dental, vision, FSA, 401k, paid holidays, and PTO. You keep track of your own time. There are free courses for professional and personal development available for those who are interested. Overall, Glassdoor is a great place to work. We put in hard work, but we have a good time doing it.

Cons

Training is a lengthy process, but this is necessary because there is a lot to learn. It can also be an adjustment if you are used to working a more physical job, as you spend most of your day on the computer. Multiple areas are provided for you to work though, so you can move around. You can even work outside if you want!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to listen to employees and what they want/need to succeed. Keep the lines of communication open, as this is something that you do very well.

Jul 18, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are thrilled you have joined us and are really happy to hear that you are enjoying your new career at Glassdoor. Our Content & Community Team is one of the... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start-up enthusiasm in the people, great technology stack, agile, laid-back work culture, appreciates your talent very well.

Cons

Not many cons except office is still small, and there are not enough meeting room on the site. No food catering for SF office, but it works well so you get to try all different restaurants next door in downtown.

Jul 13, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for being part of the team that created the SF office. I hear you on the conference rooms. We'll look at that as we explore growing the people there.

"Amazing opportunity, incredible people, some serious setbacks recently"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, Glassdoor is a phenomenal place to work and would be high up on the Best Places to Work list if they weren't the ones curating the list. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering joining. I would love to see some serious improvement on some tough issues, but what company is perfect? All things considered this place can be a great career accelerator. Come help us get to the next level!

Pros:

- The people. 93% of the people you'll meet here are genuine, down to earth, kind, good natured, selfless, intelligent, and always willing to help. I've made some friends for life here.

-Team culture. Largely a function of the wonderful people you'll work with, this is different than overall company culture, this is more about the culture that develops between the individuals you grind with, battling side by side with you day in and day out to get to your numbers. I know this is not applicable to every single team across the company, but all the front line managers that I know here in Chicago aim to develop a fun, winning, close knit team. We truly enjoy each others company, on and off the sales floor.

- The mission. We're a late stage start up with significant funding from top tier investors that know what they're doing, a recognizable brand name in a large profitable market, and a unique product vision that I can sell knowing wholeheartedly it's in the best interest of my client to invest in us. Transparency, employee engagement, employer branding, diversity/inclusion - this is the next frontier for companies that value healthy corporate cultures (and they should, based on research connecting employee satisfaction to productivity and bottom line revenue), whether employers like it or not. First it was free snacks, standing desks, and gym memberships - now it's listening to your employees and (at least creating the appearance of) genuinely caring what they have to say.

- The opportunity. We are a high growth company and if you work hard, succeed in you role, and build authentic relationships with people - there will be opportunity for advancement. That doesn't mean it isn't difficult, you just have to be smart and intentional about how you craft your personal brand and position yourself when the time comes. I will say, the advancement process could use a healthy dose of transparency and over-communication.

- Work life balance. This actually exists here. Need to duck out early at 2 one day? No problem. Want to take a week off for vacation (with proper notice)? Actually encouraged. Need to leave work every day at lunch to walk your dog for an hour? Cool. As long as you are communicating your needs in advance and it's not impacting your results, you will have a flexible, understanding manager.

- Senior sales leadership team. The senior sales leaders at Glassdoor are experienced, communicative, empathetic, and incredibly smart. I believe they have the genuine best interests of the sales team at heart, and I do believe in their vision.

-Company values. This is subjective, but I'm proud to be part of an organization that strives to make a positive impact in the world. Filing an amicus brief against the refugee ban. All the research & work we do around the gender pay gap. Making real strides for pay transparency helping working folks negotiate for higher pay. This stuff matters.

Cons

-Sales Operations in relation to comp/quota/books. We recently had some turnover in Sales Ops, and for the last 4-5 months the side of sales ops that deals with comp/quota/books has been pretty much a complete disaster area for the growth side of the business, if we're being brutally honest. Couldn't be any worse timing with the transition from FY17 to FY18 and new books/plans being created and rolled out. It's devastatingly demoralizing and unspeakably frustrating when the growth sales leadership team top to bottom either has no clue how sales ops is building books, quotas, and comp plans, or has no say in how they do it. How do you build a comp plan without knowing what quotas and books look like? You end up building a comp plan and sales flow that emphasizes retention, when the quotas actually require much more growth. What in the world is going on? When neither your manager, your director, or your SVP can't/won't give you a straight answer for months and months (the quarter was more than halfway over before we got our quota; we still to this day don't completely understand why we're getting paid out less on our deals than last year), its frankly unacceptable. When we ask about it, we get the response: don't worry it will all make sense eventually and in the meantime the bottom line is you have to sell more into your book than last year (even though there's a new sales motion and some people are struggling with basic living expenses while still hitting growth quotas). Accountability works both ways... If we couldn't give you a forecast for the quarter until more than halfway through, we wouldn't be employed here. If we couldn't explain why we didn't hit our target or why we lost a particular deal, we wouldn't be employed here. And yet we're supposed to be okay with a high degree of ambiguity "because we're an agile start up." That excuse for incompetence only goes so far before your top performers are inevitably interviewing elsewhere. I can tell you this - they don't want to. They want to believe in you, sales leaders. We're all looking to you to help us out of this mess, but you don't have much more time.

-Sales ops issues aside, overall compensation is a slight con. Lower base and OTE compared to similar companies and similar roles. But in reality, b/c of the strength of our brand, you're actually more likely to actually hit your OTE than most smaller companies. 6 months ago, I would have told you it's a lock that you'll make up the lower base in more commission/bonuses. But the changes to the comp plan have made me seriously skeptical of the risk. It also remains to be seen whether the equity plan for recent employees will make up the difference.

- SMB customer success. Cases take a full day to escalate from customer support to a customer enablement manager. Client emails us with urgent technical issue that requires resolution immediately, but the process takes 48 hours to resolve. AM's have very little visibility into who their assigned CEM is, what CEMs will or won't do, and who they should talk to when there's a problem with an account because CEMs + account assignments change on a quarterly basis it feels like. We get one presentation a year on this, but then in practice it all falls apart. I don't think the problem is the people, they're all great and strive to help to the best of their ability. It's the process and structure that truly boggles the mind.

-Product performance. Without getting too detailed, some aspects of our products underperform compared to the market and often we struggle to justify ROI with customers. Help us by building a stronger product and improving the type of data we have access to that builds a successful partnership business case.

Advice to Management

Fix comp/quotas/books for the growth team ASAP. Work on building out more customer facing data and more creative ways to slice and dice the data.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review - I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. As you know, we’ve put a major focus on comp and quotas lately and that work is not done... More

"Work for Glassdoor!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to be apart of, truly a transparent company. Supportive leaders are within.

Cons

Can be a competitive, stressful environment

"Growing, Exciting Things To Come"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In sales, there are always challenges and GD is not immune. But they seem to be open to feedback and willing to listen. The org isn't too huge so you don't feel like you're just a number.

Cons

Not as many perks as some of the bigger companies in the Chicago area but that's going to change with the new building opening in the fall, I think.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and adapt. Pay attention to your competition and don't let people walk over petty reasons.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback.

"Amazing team and great engineering culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering talent, always willing to help and easy to collaborate with
    - Smart and hard working people all around
    - Onsite lunches everyday, beautiful office location if you're in the north bay or SF

Cons

- Commute can be expensive if you're living in the city especially GG bridge toll i.e. 6.5$ everyday, company should really reimburse this for the folks who come from SF

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for sharing a review, and I’m happy to read that the smart and hardworking people around here inspire you, they do the same for me. Glad you’re on the team.

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

Jul 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. Glassdoor is now 9 years old and with that age comes more complexity to our business. I share this as we want... More